Grateful Dead Protested For Bohemian Grove Membership

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Shiny Happy People

Postby Pissed Off Cabbie » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:13 am

That's right, it's one big, happy cruise ship with freedom-lovers and fascists alike, all dancing to the piper's tune. But, guess who's port we're landing in. Not the one with the smiling, dancing bears. Think cold, grey steel, and a doormat that reads, "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."<br><br>In the 60's, you wouldn't have found many cops or accountants grooving to the Stones or Hendrix. It WAS offensive to their sensibilities, as they could not process it. That came much later, when all of that subversive music was tamed by commercialization. Hearing it it the context of advertising made it safe, and one could then partake without having to compromise any of their politics, and without pressure to adapt the lifestyle that formerly went with it. When Neil Young wrote This Note's For You, he was furious, as he knew damned well what was coming. The Big Swoosh juxtaposed with John Lennon's idealistic chestnut Imagine was like a crucificion, and the appropriation of the counter-culture's music was on. <p></p><i></i>
Pissed Off Cabbie

Blog: View Blog (0)

It's Alright...

Postby robertdreed » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:01 am

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"A question in your nerves is lit<br>Yet you know there is no answer fit <br>To satisfy<br>Insure you not to quit<br>To keep it in your mind and not fergit<br>That it is not he or she or them or it<br>That you belong to..."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br> <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://bobdylan.com/songs/itsalright.html">bobdylan.com/songs/itsalright.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=robertdreed>robertdreed</A> at: 6/29/06 11:02 pm<br></i>
robertdreed

Re: It's Alright...

Postby robertdreed » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:32 am

If you're tuned in to what's really happening, you don't have to worry about the rest of it. <p></p><i></i>
robertdreed

Turn Out, Tune In, Drop To The Floor

Postby Pissed Off Cabbie » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:51 am

It's all good until they're coming through your door. Then, you'll have to worry some. And, just like Christmas, you KNOW their coming. <p></p><i></i>
Pissed Off Cabbie

Re: Turn Out, Tune In, Drop To The Floor

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:44 am

There's an awful lot of division and demoralization being ascribed to the San Francisco Grateful Dead scene.<br><br>Next summer will be the 40th anniversary of the 1967 Summer of Love.<br><br>COINTELPRO and the CIA's Operation CHAOS wiped out the Woodstock generation's musical icons back when the Vietnam War and Kent State inflamed this country's youth. Now 'the fifth Beatle,' Billy Preston, and the Grateful Dead's fourth keyboard player, Vince Welnick, died within a few days of each other as the internet filled with stories about protests against the Dead for essentially selling out by attending Bohemian Grove.<br><br>Oh, and there's a musical based on the letters home and interviews of Janis Joplin opening in SF, too. The musical has Joplin acting out shooting up while the original tape of the police announcement of her death is played. There is also an interview with her in this play about the death of Jimi Hendrix "from overdose" thereby covering up other deaths.<br><br>The old murders are now being recycled as nostalgia.<br>Seems to me that someone doesn't want much love left for next summer.<br><br>(on edit: got Vince's name right. He deserves that.) <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=hughmanateewins>Hugh Manatee Wins</A> at: 6/30/06 11:02 pm<br></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Re: Turn Out, Tune In, Drop To The Floor

Postby robertdreed » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:01 am

Vince <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Resnick</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>The name is Welnick, fyi. Vince Welnick, R.I.P.<br><br>I just heard Janis singing a cover of a song I'd never heard her do before- an old Bee Gees hit, "(You Don't Know What It's Like) To Love Somebody (The Way I Love You)." <br><br>She sounded terrific. <br><br>Made me forget all about the way she checked out. <br><br>Play with heroin, and you're rolling dice with the Grim Reaper.<br><br>And if someone decides to load the dice...well, that's by no means an obvious call. Much as anyone- including me- would like to think otherwise. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=robertdreed>robertdreed</A> at: 6/30/06 1:04 am<br></i>
robertdreed

Vince Welnick

Postby TroubleFunk » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:44 am

For those who'd like to hear more of Mr. Welnick's music, please DO investigate his years of futuristic service - truly forward-leaning synth work and beautiful piano - with San Francisco's awesome hard-rock/art/comedy band/troupe the Tubes. If you've only heard their one or two "hits", you will be unprepared for the fine music, bleak philosophy and often spot-on social critique of (at least) their first four albums. <p></p><i></i>
TroubleFunk

how VERY strange

Postby TroubleFunk » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:53 am

It says I posted that last post at 11:08 pm last night when I actually posted it at 6:44 am in the morning. <br><br>And it was there all day and somehow got bumped up. <p></p><i></i>
TroubleFunk

Previous

Return to Secret Societies