Without benefit of due process

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Without benefit of due process

Postby marykmusic » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:14 am

Scary stuff; after all, Bush and his cohorts had "strong evidence" that they really needed to go to war, too.<br><br>This story will be in the next Newsweek. Excerpt:<br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Feb. 13, 2006 issue - In the latest twist in the debate over presidential powers, a Justice Department official suggested that in certain circumstances, the president might have the power to order the killing of terrorist suspects inside the United States. Steven Bradbury, acting head of the department's Office of Legal Counsel, went to a closed-door Senate intelligence committee meeting last week to defend President George W. Bush's surveillance program. During the briefing, said administration and Capitol Hill officials (who declined to be identified because the session was private), California Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein asked Bradbury questions about the extent of presidential powers to fight Al Qaeda; could Bush, for instance, order the killing of a Qaeda suspect known to be on U.S. soil? Bradbury replied that he believed Bush could indeed do this, at least in certain circumstances.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>The rest here: <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11180519/site/newsweek/" target="top">Can the President Order a Killing on U.S. Soil?</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>Gee, I hope I'm not a target. I'm still reeling from this morning's presentation that the police in Argentina were the primary perps... and wondering if that could happen here. From this article (plus what I already know), it's obvious that this is the plan. --MaryK <p></p><i></i>
marykmusic

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Justice