Marijuana seed vendor threatened with death penality

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Marijuana seed vendor threatened with death penality

Postby darkbeforedawn » Tue May 09, 2006 7:37 pm

<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,1764527,00.html">observer.guardian.co.uk/w...27,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>of Pot' sows the seeds of his own destruction <br><br>Tony Thompson in Vancouver<br>Sunday April 30, 2006<br>The Observer <br><br><br>Marc Emery is not your average international drug kingpin. The man described by the American Drug Enforcement Agency as Canada's biggest trafficker and self-styled 'Prince of Pot', who faces the death penalty if convicted in the US, freely admits to having made millions from marijuana. He ensures as many people as possible know about it and even listing his profession as 'marijuana seed vendor' on his tax returns.<br>In Canada, possession of less than 30 grams of marijuana or seeds carries a 12-month prison sentence and a $1,000 fine, but the law is almost never enforced, making marijuana all but legal.<br><br>The proof of this is everywhere. Cafes in a Vancouver district known as 'Vansterdam' allow customers to bring their own marijuana and smoke it at their leisure, often testing out a variety of bongs and vaporisers.<br><br>Emery's influence has reached well beyond Canada. In the past decade he has sold more than 5 million seeds over the internet and, via mail order, at least 3 million to the US. Though locally the authorities were willing to turn a blind eye, the DEA saw things differently.<br><br>After repeatedly finding his seeds at the heart of illegal growing operations throughout the US, it made Emery its sole Canadian target and launched an 18-month investigation which ended in his arrest last July.<br><br>On Thursday, Emery will appear at a preliminary hearing before his trial for extradition to the US for selling marijuana seeds - a crime for which no Canadian has even been jailed.<br><br>Under American law, selling more than 60,000 seeds qualifies for the death penalty. Emery is the first person to be arrested with enough seeds to qualify. In the basement of the shop that doubles as the headquarters for the pro-legalisation party he founded, Emery is the first to admit that, in many ways, he has brought his troubles on himself.<br><br>'I guess I've spent the last few years undermining the DEA and mocking their war on drugs. They are the ones with the guns; the only thing we had on our side was the plant. The only thing we could do to win was to spread the plant.<br><br>'I wanted to increase the number of people growing it, lower the price and spread it throughout the world. I wanted to start a self-financed capitalist revolution. A revolution through retail.'<br><br>The business made C$4m (£1.9m) profit, but Emery gave it away to pro-cannabis causes. He makes no secret of his vision - to 'overgrow' the governments of the world by spreading marijuana faster than anti-drug agents can eradicate it.<br><br>'They call me a drug kingpin and say that I am bigger than any other gang in Canada, yet when they raided me they found no drugs, no sports cars, no palaces, no money. I have spent it all on supporting the cause.'<br><br>Emery believes the DEA is politically motivated. In a hastily withdrawn official statement issued on the day of his arrest, attributed to Karen Tandy, head of the DEA, his arrest was described as 'a significant blow not only to the marijuana trafficking trade in the US and Canada, but also to the marijuana legalisation movement ... Drug legalisation lobbyists now have one less pot of money to rely on.'<br><br>Emery describes his arrest as 'the greatest battle of my illustrious career' and compares himself to Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi. Becoming a martyr - preferably a living one - for the legalisation movement is the quickest way to achieve his goal of seeing marijuana legalised. 'The war on marijuana is the most important issue of our time. I want to see drug-peace in my lifetime.'<br><br><br><br>of Pot' sows the seeds of his own destruction <br><br>Tony Thompson in Vancouver<br>Sunday April 30, 2006<br>The Observer <br><br><br>Marc Emery is not your average international drug kingpin. The man described by the American Drug Enforcement Agency as Canada's biggest trafficker and self-styled 'Prince of Pot', who faces the death penalty if convicted in the US, freely admits to having made millions from marijuana. He ensures as many people as possible know about it and even listing his profession as 'marijuana seed vendor' on his tax returns.<br>In Canada, possession of less than 30 grams of marijuana or seeds carries a 12-month prison sentence and a $1,000 fine, but the law is almost never enforced, making marijuana all but legal.<br><br>The proof of this is everywhere. Cafes in a Vancouver district known as 'Vansterdam' allow customers to bring their own marijuana and smoke it at their leisure, often testing out a variety of bongs and vaporisers.<br><br>Emery's influence has reached well beyond Canada. In the past decade he has sold more than 5 million seeds over the internet and, via mail order, at least 3 million to the US. Though locally the authorities were willing to turn a blind eye, the DEA saw things differently.<br><br>After repeatedly finding his seeds at the heart of illegal growing operations throughout the US, it made Emery its sole Canadian target and launched an 18-month investigation which ended in his arrest last July.<br><br>On Thursday, Emery will appear at a preliminary hearing before his trial for extradition to the US for selling marijuana seeds - a crime for which no Canadian has even been jailed.<br><br>Under American law, selling more than 60,000 seeds qualifies for the death penalty. Emery is the first person to be arrested with enough seeds to qualify. In the basement of the shop that doubles as the headquarters for the pro-legalisation party he founded, Emery is the first to admit that, in many ways, he has brought his troubles on himself.<br><br>'I guess I've spent the last few years undermining the DEA and mocking their war on drugs. They are the ones with the guns; the only thing we had on our side was the plant. The only thing we could do to win was to spread the plant.<br><br>'I wanted to increase the number of people growing it, lower the price and spread it throughout the world. I wanted to start a self-financed capitalist revolution. A revolution through retail.'<br><br>The business made C$4m (£1.9m) profit, but Emery gave it away to pro-cannabis causes. He makes no secret of his vision - to 'overgrow' the governments of the world by spreading marijuana faster than anti-drug agents can eradicate it.<br><br>'They call me a drug kingpin and say that I am bigger than any other gang in Canada, yet when they raided me they found no drugs, no sports cars, no palaces, no money. I have spent it all on supporting the cause.'<br><br>Emery believes the DEA is politically motivated. In a hastily withdrawn official statement issued on the day of his arrest, attributed to Karen Tandy, head of the DEA, his arrest was described as 'a significant blow not only to the marijuana trafficking trade in the US and Canada, but also to the marijuana legalisation movement ... Drug legalisation lobbyists now have one less pot of money to rely on.'<br><br>Emery describes his arrest as 'the greatest battle of my illustrious career' and compares himself to Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi. Becoming a martyr - preferably a living one - for the legalisation movement is the quickest way to achieve his goal of seeing marijuana legalised. 'The war on marijuana is the most important issue of our time. I want to see drug-peace in my lifetime.'<br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
darkbeforedawn

Re: Marijuana seed vendor threatened with death penality

Postby FourthBase » Tue May 09, 2006 7:45 pm

Motherfucking DEA. <p></p><i></i>
FourthBase

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby StarmanSkye » Tue May 09, 2006 8:15 pm

How fuckin' typical of ass-backwards, counter-productive, anti-social bureaucracy -- <br><br>The corrupt, politically-motivated DEA has caused or been complicit in the death and enormous suffering of uncounted tens, perhaps hundreds of thousands of people whose only 'crime' was possession and distribution of a natural herb that has more than a millenium of human history as a natural pharmacopia with a wide range of efficacious uses.<br><br>But the massive drug industry can't patent or control something that grows wild or so readily. What an ultimate indictment of the immense swindle which is corporatism -- even as the DEA has winked at high-level US agency and big-kingpin smuggling rackets peddling true poisons like coke, crack, speed and heroin -- that have helped precipitate a major crime epidemic and exacerbated divide-and-rule sociopolitics aka American class-and-race conflicts.<br><br>(And our kids are being prescribed Ritilin --speed-- in unprecedented amounts!)<br><br>In these, our DisUnited Estates of Hypocrisy, Amen.<br>Starman <p></p><i></i>
StarmanSkye

Postby Mentalgongfu » Tue May 09, 2006 10:55 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>'I guess I've spent the last few years undermining the DEA and mocking their war on drugs. They are the ones with the guns; the only thing we had on our side was the plant. The only thing we could do to win was to spread the plant.<br><br>'I wanted to increase the number of people growing it, lower the price and spread it throughout the world. I wanted to start a self-financed capitalist revolution. A revolution through retail.'<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Another potential name to add to my list of heroes. <br><br>It's always bugged me when gov't ad campaigns and others link buying marijuana to funding "terrorism," especially in light of the fact legalization would eliminate that argument. <br><br>Anyone could rather easily grow what they need in their own home, unless they smoke a ridiculous amount. <p></p><i></i>
Mentalgongfu

Postby FourthBase » Tue May 09, 2006 11:08 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Another potential name to add to my list of heroes<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Word. Marc Emery! <p></p><i></i>
FourthBase

Return to Justice