PKD on Fascism

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

PKD on Fascism

Postby chillin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:07 pm

Found this while searching on Valis and Lucifer Rising (wondering about the basis for the experimental film in PKD's novel). Looks like it may be an interesting blog too, maybe we should invite them over sometime =) <br><br>Anyhow, this post certainly wouldn't be out of place here...<br><br>"Aramcheck<br><br>I was reading back through PKD’s In pursuit of Valis: Selections from the exegesis (my copy is not for sale) and was floored as I came upon page 140, where he is in discussion of his writing techniques:<br><br> Since few living people today correctly understand (genuine) Fascism, my ideology has never been pejoratively stigmatized by the left, but those to whom I appeal are in essence the core-bulk of latent masses, the fascist mob. I speak of & for the irrational & the anti-rational, a kind of dynamic nihlism in which values are generated as mere tactics. […]<br><br>Furthermore…<br><br> I’ve done my (Fascistic) homework.[…] My facistic premise is: “There is no truth. We make truth; what we (first) believe becomes objectively true. Objective truth depends on what we believe, not the other way around.” This is the essence of the Fascist epistemology, the perception of truth as ideology imposed on reality - mind over matter.<br><br>It seems we truly may be living in a Philip K. Dick novel, after all, given the topology of today’s political landscape. Like the scene in Radio Free Albemuth where Dick is imprisoned by the state and told his future novels would be ghost-written propoganda pieces… one appropriately titled, The Mind Fuckers… "<br><br>from <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.sauceruney.com/wp/?p=264#comments">www.sauceruney.com/wp/?p=264#comments</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
chillin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: PKD on Fascism

Postby orz » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:38 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>(wondering about the basis for the experimental film in PKD's novel)<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>The movie in Valis is definitely very closely based on Nicolas Roeg's <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074851/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxrdz0xfHE9dGhlIG1hbiB3aG8gZmVsbCB0byBlYXJ0aHxmdD0xfG14PTIwfGxtPTUwMHxjbz0xfGh0bWw9MXxubT0x;fc=1;ft=20;fm=1">The Man Who Fell to Earth</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->, starring David Bowie. The novel's character of rock star "Mother Goose" is a kind of Bowie/Eno hybrid. <br><br>There may have been other influences too tho I'm sure. But if you've seen the film it's pretty clearly the main one, and admittedly so by PKD tho i don't have an interview quote to hand.<br><br>Great and strange film, well worth seeing if you haven't. <p></p><i></i>
orz

Postby Qutb » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:02 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>This is the essence of the Fascist epistemology, the perception of truth as ideology imposed on reality - mind over matter.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>That is very well put. <p></p><i></i>
Qutb

Postby Gouda » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:30 pm

"We asked for signs. The signs were sent." - Leonard Cohen<br><br>(Heading today's <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Rigorous Intuition</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> post - a neat blog, by the way) <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Return to Fascism