Missing Italian banker found dead, Shades of Calvi

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Missing Italian banker found dead, Shades of Calvi

Postby El Tedo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:13 pm

"A top Italian banker missing since early July has been found dead near a bridge outside Parma... Mr Roveraro had not been seen since attending a meeting of the Catholic conservative group Opus Dei in Milan on 5 July."<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5203172.stm">BBC article Here</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>Kinda Reminds me of ol' Roberto Calvi. Dead by a bridge, Opus Dei instead of P2. Just something to chew over. <p></p><i></i>
El Tedo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Missing Italian banker found dead, Shades of Calvi

Postby El Tedo » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:44 am

Here's a more detailed <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2280543_1,00.html">article</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>This is some weird stuff. <br><br>"...having apparently been kidnapped on his way home from a meeting of the Roman Catholic organisation Opus Dei...<br><br>The body of Gianmario Roveraro, 70, had <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>been chopped into pieces and hidden in a hut beneath a motorway bridge</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> about 18 miles (30km) from Parma."<br><br>"The alleged ringleader of those arrested is Filippo Botteri, 43, described as a former financial consultant from Parma who allegedly had had business dealings with Signor Roveraro.<br><br>Police said that he had confessed to the kidnap and murder but had refused to reveal a motive. He had told investigators he had suffered a memory loss, adding: ÒDonÕt ask me any more questions, I donÕt remember a thingÓ. Police said that the kidnappers appeared to have intended to murder Signor Roveraro from the start given that credible ransom note had been received."<br><br>"The case has echoes of the death of Roberto Calvi, the Vatican-linked Milanese financier founded dead under Blackfriars Bridge in London in 1982 after his bank collapsed in a fraud scandal. His death was initially ruled to be suicide, but a murder inquiry was later opened and five people with Mafia links are on trial in Rome accused of conspiring to kill him.<br><br>Anyone have any theories? <p></p><i></i>
El Tedo

Re: Missing Italian banker found dead, Shades of Calvi

Postby Gouda » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:02 am

Wish I had more time to dig into that...certainly italy is experiencing another peaking of nefarious intrigue (mafioso roundups, Vittorio Emanuele's group, SISMI/CIA hijinks, Ledeen/Iran, Berlusconi being called to court...) Probably a little to do with housecleaning coinciding with the recent transfer of power from one mafia to another. Transitions can sometimes get messy. <br><br>A Swiss connection is always interesting, especially in the wake of the Vittorio Emanuele arrests:<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Alberto Nobili and Guido Salvini, the magistrates leading the inquiry, said that they were also looking into his “interestsâ€
Gouda

Return to Assassinations and Suspicious Deaths