US Army auditor who attacked Halliburton deal is fired

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

US Army auditor who attacked Halliburton deal is fired

Postby emad » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:12 am

US Army auditor who attacked Halliburton deal is fired <br>By Andrew Gumbel in Los Angeles <br>Published: 30 August 2005 <br><br>An American government whistleblower who denounced the decision to give billions of dollars in Iraq reconstruction contracts to a subsidiary of Vice-President Dick Cheney's old company Halliburton has been fired from her job, ostensibly because of poor performance. <br><br>Bunnatine Greenhouse, a senior civilian auditor of military contracts for the Army Corps of Engineers, went public last year with her concerns about a no-bid contract given to Kellogg Brown & Root (KBR). She told a congressional hearing that the decision was "the most blatant and improper abuse I have witnessed" in 20 years as a government contract supervisor.<br><br>She will now be removed from her post and offered a junior position in a different department. The Pentagon said she was offered the opportunity to retire early, but she turned it down.<br><br>Three Democratic Congressmen demanded an official investigation before the demotion goes into effect. Pentagon officials have denied the move has anything to do with her opinions on the KBR contract.<br><br>As the senior civilian in charge of procurement at the Army Corps of Engineers, Ms Greenhouse developed a reputation as a stickler for proper procedure and won high marks in her performance reviews. Those reviews began deteriorating at almost the same time she began speaking out against the KBR contract, causing her lawyer to accuse the Pentagon of malicious retaliation.<br><br>Pentagon officials have denied that her demotion is linked to her opinions on the KBR contract. <br><br>An American government whistleblower who denounced the decision to give billions of dollars in Iraq reconstruction contracts to a subsidiary of Vice-President Dick Cheney's old company Halliburton has been fired from her job, ostensibly because of poor performance. <br><br>Bunnatine Greenhouse, a senior civilian auditor of military contracts for the Army Corps of Engineers, went public last year with her concerns about a no-bid contract given to Kellogg Brown & Root (KBR). She told a congressional hearing that the decision was "the most blatant and improper abuse I have witnessed" in 20 years as a government contract supervisor.<br><br>She will now be removed from her post and offered a junior position in a different department. The Pentagon said she was offered the opportunity to retire early, but she turned it down.<br>Three Democratic Congressmen demanded an official investigation before the demotion goes into effect. Pentagon officials have denied the move has anything to do with her opinions on the KBR contract.<br><br>As the senior civilian in charge of procurement at the Army Corps of Engineers, Ms Greenhouse developed a reputation as a stickler for proper procedure and won high marks in her performance reviews. Those reviews began deteriorating at almost the same time she began speaking out against the KBR contract, causing her lawyer to accuse the Pentagon of malicious retaliation.<br><br>Pentagon officials have denied that her demotion is linked to her opinions on the KBR contract. <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article309072.ece">news.independent.co.uk/wo...309072.ece</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
emad

Blog: View Blog (0)

gosh

Postby wintler » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:06 pm

surprise sur-f'ing-prise.<br><br>Corrupt fundamentalist regeimes have always had a low tolerance of criticism. But hey, she's not dead (yet), so this must be a peace loving democracy, right? <p></p><i></i>
wintler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Assassinations and Suspicious Deaths