"Bush military bird flu role slammed"

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

"Bush military bird flu role slammed"

Postby dbeach » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:42 pm

"Bush military bird flu role slammed" <br> Bush is a proven liar .why trust him on the bird flu? Let the health care professionals be funded correctly and let them do their jobs..Let the US Military do its job as soldiers and not as police agents for a corrupt political hack like bush.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://edition.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/05/bush.reax">edition.cnn.com/2005/POLI.../bush.reax</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> /<br><br>Bush military bird flu role slammed<br><br>"WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A call by President George W. Bush for Congress to give him the power to use the military in law enforcement roles in the event of a bird flu pandemic has been criticized as akin to introducing martial law.<br><br>Bush said aggressive action would be needed to prevent a potentially disastrous U.S. outbreak of the disease that is sweeping through Asian poultry and which experts fear could mutate to pass between humans.<br><br>The Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 bans the military from participating in police-type activity on U.S. soil.But Dr. Irwin Redlener, associate dean of Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health and director of its National Center for Disaster Preparedness, told The Associated Press the president's suggestion was dangerous.<br><br>Giving the military a law enforcement role would be an "extraordinarily Draconian measure" that would be unnecessary if the nation had built the capability for rapid vaccine production, ensured a large supply of anti-virals like Tamiflu and not allowed the degradation of the public health system. "The translation of this is martial law in the United States," Redlener said."<br><br>DU liked this thread...<br><br> <br> <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: "Bush military bird flu role slammed"

Postby Al Gomas » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:13 am

Another 911 will silence all criticism, or so they seem to think. Can't you just hear the evil gears spinning madly in their robot hearts. Dreaming up new and improved ways to terrize us out of our wits.<br>What was that Freudian quote form Arbusto...<br>"Our enemies are resouceful aginst the Amurcan people and so are we!" <p></p><i></i>
Al Gomas

Postby antiaristo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:11 am

Top story on front page today<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="font-size:small;">Security fears as flu virus that killed 50 million is recreated</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--> <br><br>Ian Sample, science correspondent<br>Thursday October 6, 2005<br>The Guardian <br><br><br>Scientists have recreated the 1918 Spanish flu virus, one of the deadliest ever to emerge, to the alarm of many researchers who fear it presents a serious security risk.<br>Undisclosed quantities of the virus are being held in a high-security government laboratory in Atlanta, Georgia, after a nine-year effort to rebuild the agent that swept the globe in record time and claimed the lives of an estimated 50 million people.<br><br>The genetic sequence is also being made available to scientists online, a move which some fear adds a further risk of the virus being created in other labs.<br><br>The recreation was carried out in an attempt to understand what made the 1918 outbreak so devastating. Reporting in the journal Science, a team lead by Dr Jeffery Taubenberger at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Maryland shows that the recreated virus is extremely effective. When injected into mice, it quickly took hold and they started to lose weight rapidly, shedding 13% of their original weight in just two days. Within six days, all mice injected with the virus had died.<br><br>In a comparison experiment, similar mice were injected with a contemporary strain of flu, and although the mice lost weight initially, they recovered. Tests revealed that the Spanish flu virus multiplied so rapidly that after four days, mice contained 39,000 times more flu virus than those injected with the more common strain of flu.<br><br>The government and military researchers who reconstructed the virus say their work has already provided invaluable insight into its unique genetic make-up and helps explain its lethality. But other researchers warned yesterday the that virus could escape from the laboratory. "This will raise clear questions among some as to whether they have really created a biological weapon," said Professor Ronald Atlas at the centre for deterrence of biowarfare and bioterrorism at the University of Louisville in Kentucky.<br><br>Publication of the work and the filing of the virus's genetic make-up to an online database followed an emergency meeting last week by the US National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity, which concluded that the benefits of publishing the work outweighed the risks. Many scientists remained sceptical. "Once the genetic sequence is publicly available, there's a theoretical risk that any molecular biologist with sufficient knowledge could recreate this virus," said Dr John Wood, a virologist at the National Institute for Biological Standards and Control in Potters Bar.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,3605,1585977,00.html">www.guardian.co.uk/scienc...77,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
antiaristo

Postby dbeach » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:21 am

thaNX ANTI for doing my homework<br><br>just posted it at DU and PI <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Return to Health