Robert Mugabe or Idi Amin on Papa Ratzi coat of arms?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Robert Mugabe or Idi Amin on Papa Ratzi coat of arms?

Postby emad » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:02 pm

The pope and a puzzling African king<br>By Alex Beam, Globe Columnist | August 4, 2005<br><br>It is traditional for newly elected popes to adopt a new coat of arms, displaying heraldic imagery symbolizing their heritage or their attitudes toward the church. It has been widely noted, for instance, that a bishop's hat, or miter, sits atop Pope Benedict XVI's new coat of arms, and not a crown. That is viewed as an expression of the new pope's humility, that he comes not to reign over the church but to continue his work as one of God's servants.<br><br>Another prominent feature of the pope's new crest has also attracted attention: the picture of the ''African king" facing left on the coat of arms. For one thing, the portrait is practically a caricature of an African male, with exaggerated lips painted ruby red. ''It's not good," says Holy Cross professor of religious studies Matthew Schmalz, who has written about the crest for the Catholic magazine Commonweal.<br><br>There is little doubt why the image of the African king appears on the crest. It symbolizes the Pope's commitment to rallying Catholic worshipers in Africa, the fastest-growing province of the church. (In June, Benedict said he would summon a special synod of African bishops, the first since 1994.) ''For me, [the African king] is an expression of the universality of the Church," the then-Cardinal Ratzinger wrote in his 1998 book ''Milestones: Memoirs 1927-1977." He also wrote that he did not know where the African image, which appeared on his coat of arms when he was archbishop of Munich-Freising, came from.<br><br>He is not alone. No one really knows who the African king might be. ''It probably strikes people as being really odd," Schmalz says. ''They look at it and think, 'What is going on here?' "<br><br>Mario Valdes, a researcher for WGBH's ''Frontline," strongly believes the black king can be one of only two people: Balthazar, one of the three kings from the ''Orient," who brings myrrh to the newborn Jesus Christ; or Prester John, the mythological king of the ''three Indias," or, alternatively, Ethiopia. Prester John, who in some versions of his legend is white, was supposed to have ruled over a land where spiritual and temporal powers coexisted in perfect harmony. Pope Alexander III is said to have written a letter to Prester John in 1177, although the Catholic Encyclopedia casts doubt on this event.<br><br>But there are two other possible identities for the unknown Moor. He could be St. Maurice, a Roman commander from Africa whose Christian soldiers refused to sacrifice to the pagan gods after an important victory, and were themselves massacred. (Valdes discounts this, noting that Maurice is usually depicted wearing a centurion's helmet.) And there is a more grisly possibility. At the time of the Crusades, some Christian kings displayed a severed Moor's head on their flags or crests to symbolize victories over their Islamic enemies. It is conceivable that the king, known as the ''Moor of Freising," evolved from such an image, although the figure shown on Benedict's coat of arms is wearing a collar and has suffered no violence. ''It's certainly one of the possibilities," Schmalz says.<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2005/08/04/the_pope_and_a_puzzling_african_king/">www.boston.com/news/globe...ican_king/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p097.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=emad@rigorousintuition>emad</A> at: 8/5/05 1:47 pm<br></i>
emad

Blog: View Blog (0)

BLACK POPE

Postby Jerky » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:19 pm

Indeed. <p></p><i></i>
Jerky

Ocular Assistance

Postby Jerky » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:24 pm

Here it is, for those who wish to see it. It's full of weirdness, not the least of which being the upside down Shell Oil logo!!!<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/elezione/stemma-benedict-xvi_en.html">www.vatican.va/holy_fathe...vi_en.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Jerky

More Papal Coat of Arms

Postby Jerky » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:29 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_Coat_of_Arms">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_Coat_of_Arms</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Jerky

Weird

Postby Corvidaerex » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:07 pm

I haven't found any full explanation for this oddball coat of arms ... and if the minstrel-show African is about growing Catholicism in Africa, why does it show a King and not a regular citizen? Who is this African King that Ratzi must pay tribute to?<br><br>I know the bear is supposed to represent Bavaria, but what's with the red package being carried by the bear?<br><br>Then there's a black-tipped phallus hanging down in phallus position, making a triangle, and each piece has a templar cross. WTF? And then there's the ram's horns on either side in the form of ... what, paintbrushes? <br><br>And the thing makes a 10-pointed star ... isn't that a kabala thing? The tree of life? <p></p><i></i>
Corvidaerex

Jerky, Corvidaerex:that African King might be a queen....

Postby emad » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:53 am

- as in Queen of Sheba who is much lusted over in the Song of Solomon. Or another black Isis prototype.<br><br>The porcine creature with the package on his back: suicide bomber boar carrying something lethal?<br><br>And that shell motif: clearly the oil industry owes everything..... <p></p><i></i>
emad

Return to Religion and the Occult