Marie Laveau's Tomb (New Orleans Voodoo Queen)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Marie Laveau's Tomb (New Orleans Voodoo Queen)

Postby Seventhsonjr » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:51 pm

The tragedy of New Orleans is significant enough without seeming ridiculous and asking such a question -- BUT when I went to New Orleans last I went to the incredible cemetary there which is feratured in the film Easy Rider.<br><br>I also went to the Voodoo museum in the Quarter and ultimately visited the tomb of Marie Laveau, the most famous voodoo queen of new Orleans, which is haunted by those who bring offerings, light candles, mark her above ground tomb with red crosses, do libations, and say prayers.<br><br>With the horrific scenes of bodies floating in the streets and the rescuers bypassing the dead, I bagan to think of (and my wife mentioned ) Marie Laveau and her tomb and all thos bodies "buried" above ground as the water table is too low to put them in the ground (as they say in Louisiana "like a dog).<br><br>I wondered then if anyone hears of this cemetary and its 'residents" and the occult significance of the disturbance of Ms. Laveau's tomb.<br><br>May she rest in peace.<br><br>But if she is not currently resting in peace, just who is going to incur her wrath?<br><br>If anyone hears anything about this cemetary or Laveau's tomb, let me know.<br><br>Funny that as I type this I am getting unusual anomalies of an electronic sort on my computer (which I have never gotten before) --- the same kind I had when I photographed her tomb and videoed inside the voodoo museum.<br><br>as if her spirit were somehow affecting thingsd.<br><br>Just thought I'd mention it. Probably just the humidity.<br><br>Marie, though, if you are listening --- we all pray that the evil men who have done this to you by failing your city and your people and your planet -- get their just desserts. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=seventhsonjr>Seventhsonjr</A> at: 8/30/05 9:03 pm<br></i>
Seventhsonjr

Blog: View Blog (0)

Did Madame Blavatsky ever run into Marie Laveau?

Postby starroute » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:48 am

Yeah, Madame Blavatsky, the one up there in the upper right-hand corner of the page. In the 1850's, she was traveling around the world, searching for sources of ancient wisdom wherever she could find them. She stopped by New Orleans in 1852 and claimed to have investigated voodoo rites. That was just around the peak of Marie Laveau's fame -- she was particularly sought out for aid during the yellow fever epidemic of 1853.<br><br>So my question is -- did these two extraordinary women ever run into one another? And if they did, what did they make of each other? I'm never going to know the answer, but I can't help imagining them sitting and plotting together (in French, of course) how to overturn the constrains of reason and civilization. <br><br>(Far, far more of the modern world than almost anybody is willing to admit has its roots in some strange fever-dream rock'n'roll mixture of voodoo and theosophy.)<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
starroute

Yemaya

Postby Avalon » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:08 pm

Yemaya (pronounced by the Candomble practitioners I knew as "yeh ma YAH") is the ocean orisha (goddess) of the syncretic African diaspora religions known as Vodun (Voodoo), Candomble and Santeria. She is also known under these names:<br><br>Imanja <br>Jemanja <br>Yemalla <br>Yemana <br>Yemanja <br>Yemaya <br>Yemayah <br>Yemoja <br>Ymoja <br>Retrieved from "<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemaja"">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemaja"</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemaya">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemaya</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Yemaya once did a very great kindness for my little daughter who asked her directly for a toy she had lost.<br><br>The ocean is the great mother of us all. May this bring out the oceanic connectedness in us, and our work for change be effective and have deep positive consequences. Nobody's free until everybody's free.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Avalon

Re: Yemaya

Postby Col Quisp » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:12 pm

Yemaya has been known to take people (by drowning). Be careful with the orisha. Once displeased, they can be harsh. <p></p><i></i>
Col Quisp

Return to Religion and the Occult