Vatican accused of shielding 'war criminal'

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Vatican accused of shielding 'war criminal'

Postby albion » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:13 am

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Vatican accused of shielding 'war criminal'<br></strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->By David Rennie in The Hague<br>(Filed: 20/09/2005)<br><br>One of the most wanted war criminals is being shielded by the Roman Catholic Church and the Vatican hierarchy, the United Nations' chief prosecutor for former Yugoslavia said yesterday.<br>         <br>Carla del Ponte, the chief prosecutor of the UN international criminal tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, said she believed that Gen Ante Gotovina was being sheltered in a Franciscan monastery in his native Croatia.<br><br>The Vatican could probably pinpoint exactly which of Croatia's 80 monasteries was sheltering him "in a few days", Mrs del Ponte told The Daily Telegraph at her offices in The Hague.<br><br>Instead, she had been "extremely disappointed" to encounter a wall of silence from the Vatican. Frustrated by months of secret but fruitless appeals to leading Vatican officials, including a direct appeal to Pope Benedict XVI, Mrs del Ponte has decided to make the matter public.<br><br>Gen Gotovina, still regarded as a hero by many Croats, is the most important war crimes suspect still at large from the Yugoslav conflict, after the Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic and his military commander, Gen Ratko Mladic.<br><br>She said: "I have information he is hiding in a Franciscan monastery and so the Catholic Church is protecting him. I have taken this up with the Vatican and the Vatican refuses totally to co-operate with us."<br><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/09/20/wponte20.xml">www.telegraph.co.uk/news/...onte20.xml</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
albion

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Religion and the Occult