Jewish Holy Days

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Dalai Lama in dreams

Postby DrDebugDU » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:03 am

> I like this "sitting on their interdimensional ass" metaphor. gosh, I'm there...<br><br>The problem is that the situation is gradually becoming such that we need to speak out against the current regimes and not work for own salvation. And most good people are too reluctant to take a stand. The complacency of the fast majority is the biggest obstacle and it seems like that isn't going to change soon. <br><br>I think that the problem with a lot of people on the spirtual path is that they ignore the political aspects and that applies to the good in the media as well. Even though there is a top down control, if the reporters start to report the real news en masse then the fragile MSM control would be shattered.<br><br>Isreal is still in total chaos and I can understand that it is extremely hard to stand between both evils and not be dragged down to their level.<br><br>The trouble with religion and that includes Buddhism is that it can be used as a double-edged sword. The most important thing is to try and lead a good life and not to allow yourself to be dragged down in the games which are being played on a massive scale. The Jewish settlers and the Muslim suicide bombers are a perfect example of a religion being used for a political game and if you can take some distance and see what happens then you realize that it is game of evil played on both sides. <br><br>And I have seen that with a "lama" as well who spewed anti-islamic hatred and said that you should defend your country and made a joke about the Afghanistan war (it was just after that war had started). Of course most of the people accepted the message blindly. As far as I was concerned he had shown his true face. <p></p><i></i>
DrDebugDU

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby israelirealities » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:04 pm

Yeah, DrDbugDU, I couldn't agree more. HOwever, there's a tricky part there with the "doing something". What I call "holocaust dynamics" requires a very sharp distinction between right action and foolish risk and distinction between preservation and collarboration. Its like walking a tight rope, and the stakes are high. People would gravitate towards not doing rather than taking risks, but this holocaust dynamics also tells us that not doing anything, along with the others, will NOT spare you in the long run. Effective action can be a decision to run away and hide, bribe with a lot of money, cooperate for the minimal requirements to survive, live as zombi to numb yourself against the pain. Resisting directly, might indeed prove to be futile and the punishment will be exemplary. So in the case of journalists, the one who will defy, or if some do, the one who will be chosen as a symbol, will suffer much. THere is NO human instinct for the basic action of solidarity and organization. It requires movement AGAINST inertia. And so, what you are missing in your analysis is "leadership". Groups of Journalists, or lawyers, or workers what not, do not just coordinate rebelious actions. You have to find them, connect them with each other, coordinate and orchestrate a concerted action along those lines. THe enemy, a very keen and alert body, will know what you are up to and fight it. And so, you have two obstacles now, the enemy (already organized and ruthless) and the general human trait to just wonder around aimlessly, avoiding pain and trouble for the time being and pushing the other person, near them, to the danger they hope to avoid. So on a personal level you have to identify carefully the precise place where you can resist and disturb the rival, without dying for it. (unless you carefully plan to do that...). Usually, I think this precise point may not be the one you think first, it is something in you, in your personal life, something that collaborates, bribed...so the "action" could eventually be a small "no" you say, that you should have said eons ago. And not a grand revolution with blood in the streets. Or even a loving yes you failed to do. To each his own. <br>I agree with you that Buddhism as structure would not be different from what we already know here. Hierarchy, professional clergy, discrimination against women...<br> <br><br> <p></p><i></i>
israelirealities

Postby * » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:23 pm

<!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:black;font-family:century gothic;font-size:small;"><br>"The problem is that the situation is gradually becoming such that we need to speak out against the current regimes and not work for own salvation."</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--><br><br> If working for our OWN salvation does not include speaking out against current regimes (and other evil) then I would suggest that we are simply massaging our egos while materialistically amassing 'spiritual capital'. Rather than <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>denying</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> the physical we need to overcome it through our own efforts.<br><br> <!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:black;font-family:century gothic;font-size:small;">"I think that the problem with a lot of people on the spirtual path is that they ignore the political aspects and that applies to the good in the media as well. "<br></span><!--EZCODE FONT END--><br><br> This is absolutely the case and I have been tearing my hair out over it for years. Too many people are in complete denial about their human responsibilities because it makes their lives easier: if we could only progress as spiritual beings in the spiritual world, there would be no need for earthly incarnation. As it happens, we are all here now, as humans, with earthly tasks. Turning one's back on that reality to pursue one's "own spiritual path" is the ultimate act of egotism.<br><br><br><br> <!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:black;font-family:century gothic;font-size:small;">"The trouble with religion and that includes Buddhism is that it can be used as a double-edged sword." <br></span><!--EZCODE FONT END--><br> Anything and everything can be used as a double-edged sword. Religion is used as a controlling device but that is not the fault of religion: the moment a hierarchy crystalises around ANY philosophy it degerates into a controlling device which takes on a life of its own. We should insert 'right use' between 'right thought' and 'right deed' and understand that each of us is responsible for what emanates from us in thought word and deed.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>

Postby israelirealities » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:10 pm

i love your choice of words, tal 1, but truly I want to know what practically would be a sound, effective and engaged action, politically and spiritually speaking ?<br>Place yourself, for instance, in my locale...of course we all want to be the "resistance"...in times like this. But we are just looking at the fiasco around one prisoner here, Mr. Vanunu, an old story, and global interest in this matter, nothing of this changed his position vis a vis the government and it made his situation far worse and intolerable. (it might have been the same without protest, but we don't know that). <br>When the situation is such that you are facing a much superior power, which is also ruthless and immune from criticism (they don't care), it becomes a valid question whether to say something, place a poster or a bumper sticker, someone can wreck your car, the grocer will see you and bear grudges and give you the worse produce etc. not to mention worse means.<br>I think that spiritual escapism in that case is a valid response for helplessness. At least you don't waste your time totally.<br>Sorry for being the "voice of defeatism and holocaust street wisdom"...its my mood recently. It just dawns on me that my life is more important than any political situation, and perhaps I should preserve myself for the times after the dark. don't know. <p></p><i></i>
israelirealities

Postby * » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:33 pm

<br> IR, my screed was not directed at you. It was more a general lament over all those I have known over the last 30 years or so, who have decided that amassing spiritual capital is somehow different (and more worthy) than amassing material capital. Denial is NOT overcoming.<br><br> With your web site and your circle of readers you seem to be doing all you can in your given milieu. I don't think any of us need to become martyrs, but we often need to <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>work</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> to recognise truth and to speak truth.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>

Postby israelirealities » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:15 pm

oh certainly. I was just thinking other situations. Thanks, you write so WELL> I envy <p></p><i></i>
israelirealities

Previous

Return to Religion and the Occult