NY Times on Ariz/Utah polygamous sect

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

NY Times on Ariz/Utah polygamous sect

Postby mxmendo » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:27 pm

Seems like the cops/politicos are having little effect on these wierdo child molestors, clearly not a priority in our current political climate...building a "huge stone temple" in texas, wtf?<br>Isn't the "baby graveyard" assocaited with these guys?<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/25/national/25polygamy.html?pagewanted=all">www.nytimes.com/2005/10/2...wanted=all</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>"But the twin towns of Colorado City, Ariz., and Hildale, Utah, continue to defy the law, the authorities and dissidents say: under the direction of leaders of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, women are still being removed from their husbands and assigned to other men, and girls under 18 are ordered to become brides of older men on a day's notice, all despite the presence of full-time outside law enforcement."<br>.....<br><br>"In a recent letter to the United States attorney general, Alberto R. Gonzales, Mr. Goddard wrote, "I believe that the officers of the Colorado City Police Department have engaged in a pattern of conduct that deprives individuals of their constitutional and civil rights."<br><br>The Justice Department has not decided whether to intervene."<br>....<br><br>"Mr. Jeffs continues to raise money for his church by ordering his leading followers to donate $1,000 a month and everyone else to give 10 percent of income, Mr. Chatwin said. Some of the sect's top leaders have gone to the Texas compound, where a huge stone temple is under construction and new homes are being built, even as this community appears to be withering away. "<br> <p></p><i></i>
mxmendo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: NY Times on Ariz/Utah polygamous sect

Postby marykmusic » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:35 pm

It's really hard to get anything done about this. I've been following the story here for a while: <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://phoenixnewtimes.com/special_reports/polygamy/index.html" target="top">Polygamy in Arizona</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>Check out John Dougherty's excellent series of stories.<br><br>A couple of days ago I heard on NPR that Jeffs' vehicle had been sighted in Utah and they were following him. There are outstanding indictments, but he is surrounded by men who really believe he's like a Pope and will die for him. --MaryK <p></p><i></i>
marykmusic

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Religion and the Occult