Are Jews born smart?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

veering off-topic...activism

Postby robertdreed » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:13 am

"And one of the most important struggles right now is for charter reforms such as initiative and referendum [an inherently libertarian cause] and for redistricting [to right the influence of upper-class gerrymandering]."<br><br>I put pushing for ranked-choice voting at the top of the list. In a way, it combines the best aspects of parliamentary and majoritarian systems. And I expect both major parties to fight it, tooth, claw, nail, and nut-kick. <br><br>I think it's also high time to get rid of the inherently unstable process of electronic computer voting. If necessary, such machines can be reserved for those too disabled to mark or cast hard-copy ballots. <br><br> I'm new in town, and my local political activism thus far here in northern Virginia has been limited to flipping the bird at former Drug Czar William J. Bennett when I found myself cruising past the black Lincoln Town Car where he was riding as a passenger (which in turn was following a big black SUV, perhaps also part of his retinue.) <br><br>I'm fairly sure he saw me, but I regret not rolling down my window, first. <br><br>Advice from long-time D.C. political activist Sam Smith, founder of the D.C. Green Party and Sam Smith's <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Progressive Review</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->- <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://prorev.com/thingstodo.htm">prorev.com/thingstodo.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>That said, what prompted my remarks about "premature conclusions" had nothing to do with making an excuse for apathy. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=robertdreed>robertdreed</A> at: 12/5/05 4:39 am<br></i>
robertdreed

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: veering off-topic...activism

Postby proldic » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:37 am

...someone ought to lay out these various democratic options in some cohesive form...maybe a one-pager, eh? <p></p><i></i>
proldic

modest proposals

Postby robertdreed » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:47 am

...the <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>real</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> Reform Party, lol...<br><br>I think most members of Congress- either Democrat of Republican- would prefer the Capitol be hit by a dirty bomb, rather than to revamp the electoral process to allow ranked-choice (also known as "instant runoff") voting. <br><br>But I predict that people will look back one day and wonder how any majoritarian governmental system calling itself an electoral democracy ever did without it.<br><br>And people like me will say, "simple- the system was a joke, that's all." <p></p><i></i>
robertdreed

Previous

Return to Religion and the Occult