Catholic church starts its war on birth contol?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Catholic church starts its war on birth contol?

Postby chiggerbit » Wed May 24, 2006 11:32 am

Now that the Catholic church has four conservative justices on the Supreme Court, I've been waiting for the church to start not only its war on abortion, but also its war on contraceptives. I think the first shots have been fired. A commencement speaker at St. Thomas, a college in Minnesota disses users of the pill as "selfish". Head for your foxhole! Or the pharmacy for stockpiles, as the case may be. <br><br>(See link for entire article, emphasis mine.)<br><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/05/24/stthomas">www.insidehighered.com/ne...4/stthomas</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>A Commencement Turns Ugly<br><br>When people cry at graduation, it’s supposed to be the happy kind of tears.<br><br>That wasn’t the case Saturday at the University of St. Thomas, when the <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>student speaker at the Saint Paul, Minn., institution’s graduation ceremony used his address to denounce as “selfish” those women who use the birth control pill.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> St. Thomas has been divided this semester by a debate over whether the Roman Catholic institution was correct to ban unmarried employees traveling together with students from sharing a room, so issues of sexual morality have been front and center at the institution. The student speaker also denounced as selfish those unmarried couples covered by the policy who had wanted to share a room with a partner.<br><br>Students and family members were shocked by the speech — and some left their own graduation in tears. Others booed or shouted. Still others are angry that the university administrator who followed the student speaker appeared to many to endorse his views. The university denies that, and the St. Thomas president and the student speaker have apologized. While St. Thomas officials said that they hope the apologies will put the matter to rest, many students and faculty members doubt that can happen.<br><br>A portion of the controversial speech has been posted online at YouTube (be forewarned that several loud expletives from audience members are also audible). The speaker is Ben Kessler, who was elected by students and faculty members as “Tommie of the Year,” earning the right to address his fellow graduates. Kessler was a 4.0 student and a star on the football team. <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>He is moving to Rome to study for the priesthood.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>In his speech, Kessler asked about the couples who traveled with St. Thomas students and who set off the debate over the travel policy. The issue gained the attention of St. Thomas administrators when a choir director who is lesbian wanted to take her partner and their son on a class trip to France, as married couples on university travel had done in the past. Not only was that trip barred, but the university started barring those traveling with students from sharing rooms with their partners if they were not married — whether the relationships were straight or gay. Kessler said that those wanting to share rooms were “selfish,” and that as a result of their actions “students become confused” and “faculty and staff become scandalized,” all for “the happiness of one or two people.”<br><br>He then went on to call using birth control selfish, and specifically cited only one form of birth control: the pill.<br><br>As Kessler spoke, some students and faculty members started to leave. Others shouted their anger and called for him to stop. In other parts of his address, Kessler spoke of his own selfishness, praised the accomplishments of his classmates, and encouraged them to lead lives that involve giving back to their communities.<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>At the end of Kessler’s speech, Thomas Rochon, the university’s chief academic officer, spoke and he noted Kessler’s “courage” in expressing his views</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->......<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Ted the dog » Wed May 24, 2006 1:12 pm

"At the end of Kessler’s speech, Thomas Rochon, the university’s chief academic officer, spoke and he noted Kessler’s “courage” in expressing his views......"<br><br><br>Well, they ARE brave soldiers in the war on Christ. And they ARE the ones being persecuted by the angry filthy SEK-UU-LAAR hordes. They have to fight the immorality and depravity that we all dump on them with a snow shovel. <br><br>I know I like to find a bunch of conservative Christians and have sex with prostitutes in front of them, forcing them to watch at gunpoint. I also like to find gay men and then force Christian moralists to watch me marry them in a house of god, mocking the sanctity of their marriages and laughing the whole way.<br><br><br>I get off on it. It's what I do as a member of the secular filth that makes up the majority of the world. <p></p><i></i>
Ted the dog

Not the church, exactly

Postby chiggerbit » Wed May 24, 2006 1:37 pm

I may have been a bit over the top to have blamed this on the church itself. But you have to know that this kid has plenty of reason to believe that this kind of talk is welcome in Rome today, with this Pope, where he intends to complete his education, otherwise he would have moderated what he had to say. He would never have taken the chance of screwing anything up. So, where did he get the idea that this would be acceptable? It's like he has his hand up, saying, "See what a good Catholic soldier I am, Sir? Pick me, pick me!" I bet, if he has to do a resume, he puts this on it. <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

"head for you foxhole"

Postby mother » Wed May 24, 2006 2:25 pm

So what if Catholics are not supposed to use chemical birth control (as opposed to natural family planning which uses periods of fertility,instead of Big Pharma)??? So what if we hold life sacred and we can look at ultrsound and see that there's a baby swimming around in the womb? What if we know the lies of the abortion industry? Check out the cool online videos of partial birth abortion; then tell me it's not infantacide. If you don't like what the Catholic Faith teaches, you don't have to join. <p></p><i></i>
mother

Postby thoughtographer » Wed May 24, 2006 2:29 pm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Every sperm is sacred<br>Every sperm is great<br>If a sperm is wasted<br>God gets quite irate</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br> <p><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"A crooked stick will cast a crooked shadow."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></p><i></i>
thoughtographer

Postby Ted the dog » Wed May 24, 2006 2:34 pm

one important point in regards to what mother mentioned....some women take the pill as a way to regulate their monthly cycle. These women shouldn't be kept from something that helps them medically.<br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Ted the dog

Re: "head for you foxhole"

Postby chiggerbit » Wed May 24, 2006 3:01 pm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>If you don't like what the Catholic Faith teaches, you don't have to join.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> <br><br><br>That's fine, until the church tries to shove its faith up the fallopian tubes of non-Catholics. And don't try to tell me that the Vatican isn't trying to stick its nose in our politics, planning to do just that. Hey, maybe this is why those pedopriests like little children. <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

+

Postby mother » Wed May 24, 2006 3:08 pm

That's such an ugly slur, which speaks more for yourself than the Catholic Faith. You know full well that the pedophilia is not caused by abortion, pro or con. It's the fault of child molesters when they harm children. <p></p><i></i>
mother

Re: +

Postby chiggerbit » Wed May 24, 2006 3:15 pm

Who is talking about abortion? I'm talking about the birth control pill. <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Postby thoughtographer » Wed May 24, 2006 3:23 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Who is talking about abortion? I'm talking about the birth control pill.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>So what if Catholics are not supposed to use chemical birth control (as opposed to natural family planning which uses periods of fertility,instead of Big Pharma)??? <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>So what if we hold life sacred and we can look at ultrsound and see that there's a baby swimming around in the womb? What if we know the lies of the abortion industry? Check out the cool online videos of partial birth abortion; then tell me it's not infantacide.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> If you don't like what the Catholic Faith teaches, you don't have to join.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Looks like "mother" is. The general issue here is Vatican intervention in politics and the sway of public opinion with regard to reproductive matters, and specifically, how those issues effect the lives of women. <p><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"A crooked stick will cast a crooked shadow."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></p><i></i>
thoughtographer

The Vatican

Postby mother » Wed May 24, 2006 3:46 pm

The Vatican will never affect the profitable pharmaceutical industry, any more than the sale of, say guns. You are avoiding mention of relating birth control with pedophiles, which crosses over the line for this forum. <p></p><i></i>
mother

Re: The Vatican

Postby thoughtographer » Wed May 24, 2006 3:56 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The Vatican will never affect the profitable pharmaceutical industry, any more than the sale of, say guns. You are avoiding mention of relating birth control with pedophiles, which crosses over the line for this forum.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>Hey, I didn't mention pedophiles, so don't look at me.<br><br>Guns? Now there's an off-topic subject. I can see how Catholic dogma would possibly have you equate gun control with birth control, but they are entirely separate issues; where the Vatican's priorities lie regarding both issues has always been painfully clear from where I'm sitting.<br><br>You're right though: even an outright ban of birth control wouldn't make so much as a ripple on the pharmaceutical industry's bottom line, relatively speaking. They would just sell more erection pills. <p><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"A crooked stick will cast a crooked shadow."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=thoughtographer>thoughtographer</A> at: 5/24/06 1:58 pm<br></i>
thoughtographer

Postby DireStrike » Wed May 24, 2006 3:57 pm

Err... if there are any young women here, be sure to look into all methods of contraception. The rhythm method is difficult to use, and in perfect use has a failure rate about on par with condoms. <p></p><i></i>
DireStrike

Re: HIV+

Postby thoughtographer » Wed May 24, 2006 4:05 pm

Good advice. <p><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"A crooked stick will cast a crooked shadow."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></p><i></i>
thoughtographer

Re: HIV+

Postby DireStrike » Wed May 24, 2006 4:17 pm

Young men too... (blush)<br><br>It's not all her job. <p></p><i></i>
DireStrike

Next

Return to Religion and the Occult