A Story from Camp Casey, Protest Site in Crawford Texas

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

A Story from Camp Casey, Protest Site in Crawford Texas

Postby GDN01 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:31 pm

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/92486338@N00/sets/759225">You can view my Camp Casey Photos at Flickr</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->.<br><br>I spent this past weekend at Camp Casey in Crawford Texas, and am still processing the experience. I jumped in my car Friday afternoon with a tent, a cooler, and a backpack of clothes and drove four hours, arriving in Crawford around 7:30 p.m. I stopped at the Peace House first and received a warm welcome and an invitation to join them for the weekend. I asked if it was possible to get to Camp Casey and stay there for the weekend. That's where I felt I needed to be. They gave me directions and someone needed a ride back out there. I was glad to have the company and the two of us took off, arriving at CC just before dark.<br><br>CC is located on the outskirts of Crawford, about 2 miles down Prairie Chapel Road, a winding road lined with large ranches leading to George Bush's ranch. CC is on two sides of a triangular patch of grass branching off to the south. The camp is restricted to the very narrow strip of land between the side of the road and the fences on the edge of private property. Luckily, there are trees along the roadside, provind much needed shade during the day. The strip of land is so narrow that I could not pitch the tent I had brought - only 2 person tents could be pitched. And the side of the road is a ditch, making it even more difficult to set up the camp.<br><br>The people staying at CC are among the nicest, generous people I've ever met. A total stranger offered to let me stay in her tent when it became apparent I could not set mine up. A real bond of camaraderie quickly developed as helped each other deal with the harsh conditions and worked together to keep the camp organized and aligned with the requirements of the law enforcement - roads must be kept clear to allow traffic to pass on the streets unencumbered, the large triangular grassy area cannot be even stepped on as it is private property, no public consumption of alcohol, etc. Everyone took turns with security and clean-up detail. <br><br>That first night, the Perseid Meteor Shower gave us a brilliant stellar show as we sat around talking well into the night, getting to know each other. I slept outside at night with a nice breeze keeping the heat down and the mosquitoes away. Security was a concern as we had heard gunshots from across the field and cars and trucks had frequently driven by at alarming speeds and very close to where tents were pitched. The sheriffs who patrolled the area seemed genuinely trying to help us and keep us safe. I am not a fan of law enforcement agencies but I have to say these deputies seemed committed to making the situation work. When there were problems, we were always given the opportunity to handle it ourselves. The property owners in the area frequently phoned in complaints like "a car has a tire on the road" or "someone has stepped on that patch of grass in the middle..." or "there is a wild party going on down there...". Many times the deputy apologized for having to follow-up on the call, and most of the times the calls were unfounded. But we were allowed to get the car moved, remind people to stay off the road and grassy area, without the deputies arresting anyone. I do realize that they will follow orders, and if the Bush people want the camp cleared, it will happen. The Secret Service was everywhere. They were understandably not friendly or helpful. A state police helicopter frequently circled the camp. While it was not extremely tense most of the time, there was a feeling of carefulness. We were all aware that at any time, day or night, something could happen and turn the place into a chaotic scene. Everyone made a huge effort to keep the camp calm and orderly. The gunshots we heard both nights were a reminder that we were not in friendly terroritory and many people do not want us there.<br><br>I shared the story of meeting Cindy at the Peace House <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://p097.ezboard.com/frigorousintuitionfrm10.showMessageRange?topicID=284.topic&start=81&stop=100">in this RI discussion board thread.</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> Cindy was amazing. She has a presence that exudes calm, strength, and grace. She never turned anyone away who wanted to speak to her. She would greet me anytime we passed each other at CC. She came across as "one of us" - an ordinary person. I think this is why she is such an inspiration. And she talks a lot about how "we" have the power because we have the truth on our side, and it is high time that each of us reclaim our pwer and demand our govt. to represent the wishes of the people. And if they don't it is time to fire them all.<br><br>Cindy is doing something important. She is articulating a cohesive and coherent message. Every reason we were given to justify this war has been proven false. She names the three reasons (a small enough number to remember!) - a connection to 9/11 terrorists, WMD's, and the war was a last resort response to a threat to our safety.. She says this every chance she gets and it needs repeating. While some here may wish that Cindy was saying even more like "Our govt. LIHOP or MIHOP" etc. I believe her message is something the majority of the people can "hear" and get. Her current message does not turn off middle of the road Americans. It is simple, she states the sources that most Americans respect that have debunked the rationale we were given by our govt. and the president himself - the 9/11 Commission, the WMD inspectors, and the Downing Street Memo. I believe her short and precise message may have the power to catch the attention of people in this country who are looking for something to grab onto to explain their uneasiness with this war. It's like a light bulb is going for many people - she is doing what the Democratic Party could not do in 2004, she is providing an understandable articulation of why this war is so wrong.<br><br>I provided a short account of the highpoint of the weekend for me, in thread I've already linked to. Even now, when I think about that moment of looking back up the road and seeing all those cars - I get overwhelmed with emotion. I was one of about 20-25 people who had stayed behind at the camp to keep it secure and organized as the rally goers joined us. There wasn't a dry eye at the camp as we realized what was happening. If you build it, they will come. It was such a great feeling to stand there, waving a peace flag and shouting "Welcome to Camp Casey! We are so glad you're here!" It got a little hectic towards the end of the procession. The deputies even gave up trying to direct traffic. They told us later they were impressed with how we conducted ourselves and handled every situation that developed over the afternoon. I would say over 500 cars made their way up that road to join us. Many turned back when the traffic had come to a near stand still. <br><br>There was a time for speakers at the camp, but I missed most of it because I was a "Peace Keeper", and people were streaming in all afternoon. I did run over to the stage area to hear Cindy's speech. It was moving and inspiring. And she speaks the truth. <br><br>After the speech, we had our only unpleasant development of the day. The counter-demonstrators had left for the most part before the crowd showed up after the rally. Only a handful had stayed and were across Prairie Chapel Road. They yelled insults and slogans all the time Cindy spoke, and during the moment of silence we had to remember all those who have died in this war. After the Cindy's speech, people began to leave, creating another logistical nightmare! And this is when we had a few people from CC line up facing the counter-demonstrators (CD's), and the back and forth yelling match began. The Peace Keepers were called in to defuse the situation. We asked the CC people to walk away, their actions were only feeding the CD's. The media loved the developing drama and immediately flocked to the area to catch it on film. We pointed this out to the CC people,and most of them realized this was not helping Cindy's efforts. A few men refused to walk away and the tension grew. The PK's positioned ourselves between the two sides, some of us held up our flags blocking the view of each side of the other. This was effective because it's no fun to yell at someone you cannot see! One man from CC, a Viet-Nam vet had an emotional melt down which nearly brought the whole situation to a tragic eruption. It was a sad moment for all of us. This man was trying to speak his truth about the atrocities of war he had witnessed as a helicopter medic - young men with limbs blown off and brains leaking out of their head. He kept yelling, "You don't know what it's like. You don't know. We have to stop this." The CD's taunted him, calling him a traitor. When this man stepped into the road towards the other side, the police told us to get him out of the area or they would. We had no choice but to forceably remove him. I am crying as I write this because this man's anguish was so real and none of us wanted to act against him. We had no choice. The helicopters which had circled all afternoon began closing in and getting lower. The man was in full meltdown. The media had surrounded us and we could not move him as people swarmed us to watch. Another vet, the man with a missing leg in my photos got to him and just hugged him tight. The man collapsed on the ground, sobbing harder than anything I've ever seen. I began screaming at people to "move out back out" and pushed open a clearing in the crowd so this man could be carried to a safe place where he could be cared for. Several trained therapists were on hand and cared for this man until he had regained his composure. He stayed with us that night and I had the opportunity to speak with him at length. I have nothing but respect for him and understood his pain and why this happened.<br><br>As the day drew to an end, most people left CC. It is probably a good thing that only a small crowd actually camps out there on the road. Space and supplies are limited. I would guess somewhere around 30 people were there at night, maybe 40. There is a concern for the safety of those staying at the camp at night. I wrote about the gunshots in <br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://p097.ezboard.com/frigorousintuitionfrm10.showMessage?topicID=395.topic">this thread.</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> For this reason, Cindy has been asked by the Sheriff's office to not stay out there at night. He said he didn't think she would be safe. I wrote about how at night we would sit around and talk and organize in the first thread I linked to. This is important. Ideas were exchanged, people engaged in dialogue and eyes and minds were opened. And, among the small group I was talking with, there was agreement that we'd rather die there at Camp Casey than go back to inactivity. Something had shifted. We were re-finding the strength of our own convictions - something that had gotten lost these past 3 years. No one was encouraging the use of violence - but the willingness to put our lives on the line for what is right. Our own integrity is all we have left. Our freedoms are being taken away, our minds are being numbed and our hearts are being hardened by this society we live in. We are paralyzed by fear. Apathy is rampant and drug induced. And we all felt that now is the time. Something has shifted. And if we don't act now, we may not have the chance. These are not empty words. People are waking up. I truly believe that. And the govt. will do all it can to put us back to sleep. <br><br>I am hoping to go back to Camp Casey at the end of the week. And I ask each of you to go. Find a way. We have to keep this going. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p097.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=gdn01>GDN01</A> at: 8/15/05 3:54 pm<br></i>
GDN01

Blog: View Blog (0)

Video Source

Postby GDN01 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:58 pm

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.truthout.org/cindy.shtml">Truthout</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> has a great collection of video feeds from Camp Casey. Cindy's speech from Saturday is available in 3 parts. If you watch them you will understand why people are flocking to Crawford.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
GDN01

Re: Video Source

Postby Col Quisp » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:49 pm

This is such an amazing story. I am overwhelmed. I'm starting to think that Cindy is the "prince of peace" returning.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Col Quisp

Thanks

Postby GDN01 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:45 pm

I'm still overwhelmed myself! As I've surfed the net today and found other pictures posted and stories written, I found myself sitting here with tears streaming down my face more than once. <br><br>I wish I could capture the sense of connection we all felt. It was amazing to watch everyone helping each other. I hope Cindy's not the prince of peace - we all know what happened to him! But she is certainly a catalyst for something. I hope this is the beginning of an anti-war movement that just gets stronger and stronger each week until every soldier is brought home.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.meetwithcindy.org/">On this site</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->, Meet With Cindy, there is a call for people to join in a candle light vigil on Wednesday evening across the U.S. I was surprised to see events were already planned near by, and more in a 30 mile radius. People are ready for something, and I think this might be it. <p></p><i></i>
GDN01

CC

Postby mother » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:08 pm

GDNO1, We love you more and more. <p></p><i></i>
mother

Re: CC

Postby GDN01 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:18 pm

Thank you for your kind words, Mother. You are a nice addition to this RI community! <p></p><i></i>
GDN01

Return to Iraq