Galloway v Hitchens

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Galloway v Hitchens

Postby antiaristo » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:16 am

That's fighting talk <br><br>Pendennis<br>Sunday August 28, 2005<br>The Observer <br><br><br>Forget England v Australia and Chelsea v Arsenal. The fieriest contest this summer will take place in a fortnight's time when George Galloway takes on Christopher Hitchens in a debate in New York on British and US foreign policy. Gorgeous George memorably described his opponent as 'a drink-soaked former Trotskyist popinjay' in Washington earlier this year. A couple of weeks later, Hitchens told Time Out: 'What I want to know is how this guy [Galloway] gets laid. I have seen him up close and he's f***ing hideous. Am I missing something here?' Seconds out... <p></p><i></i>
antiaristo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Galloway v Hitchens

Postby Dreams End » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:31 pm

I would pay a lot of money to watch that debate. Of course, I don't have a lot of money..... <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Politics as Show Biz

Postby antiaristo » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:21 pm

I'll say this for Gorgeous George. He's got a wonderful sense of timing.<br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Galloway to go on anti-war tour of US with Jane Fonda <br>By Andrew Buncombe in Washington <br>Published: 27 August 2005 <br><br>George Galloway, the anti-war MP for Bethnal Green and Bow who rocked the US Senate earlier this year, is to be accompanied on a speaking tour of America by the actress and activist Jane Fonda. <br><br>Few things are more likely to antagonise US conservatives than the combination of Mr Galloway and Ms Fonda - still hated by the right because of her outspoken opposition to the war in Vietnam - joining to condemn the American presence in Iraq. But Mr Galloway can expect a thunderous reception from those he impressed with his performance before a Senate committee last May.<br><br>In a statement, Mr Galloway, the Respect MP, said: "I'm really pleased and excited to be going back to America to campaign against this illegal war and occupation. And to have Jane Fonda join me is fantastic. I'll be able to get that autograph at last."<br><br>He added: "I'm sure that when the full implications of the constitutional settlement lashed-up by the puppet Iraqi government are understood that opposition will grow massively."<br><br>Mr Galloway, whose speaking tour, Stand Up and Be Counted, starts in Boston on 13 September and will end at a rally scheduled for 24 September in Washington, said he had received more than 20,000 messages from US residents asking him to return. He will also be promoting a new book, Mr Galloway Goes To Washington.<br><br>A tour organiser, Chris Dols, said: "People want to hear Jane Fonda and what she has to say about the war. That's worth hearing, and George Galloway has a lot to say about it, too." <br></em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=antiaristo>antiaristo</A> at: 8/28/05 2:55 pm<br></i>
antiaristo

Postby manxkat » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:19 pm

*** Hitchens told Time Out: 'What I want to know is how this guy [Galloway] gets laid. I have seen him up close and he's f***ing hideous. Am I missing something here?' ***<br><br>LOL<br><br>Has Hitchens looked in the mirror? Jesus, that guy is fugly. Gorgeous George is beautiful and brilliant, and he's so gonna demolish Hitchens.... <br><br>Hopefully someone will record and stream this on-line. Woohoooo!<br> <p></p><i></i>
manxkat

Postby heyjt » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:30 pm

I saw Hitchens on "The Daily Show" With John Stewart. I've been dissapointed with Stewart at times because he goes easy on some of the big boys. <br> -- But this time HE SHREDDED HITCHENS! <br> As usual Hitchens looked intoxicated and actually forgot what he was talking about in mid-sentence. I used to respect him as a journalist long ago. He championed the story of "the October Suprise" plot against Carter. He wrote a briliant article in Harpers at the start of the first Gulf War called "Why We Are Stuck In The Sand".<br> But now he has gone David Horowitz on us. I wonder what makes a guy roll over like that?<br> A link to the appearance on Stewart's show is available at Buzzflash-- <p></p><i></i>
heyjt

Postby antiaristo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:31 am

Everyone's getting excited.<br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Popinjay jibe triggers US brawl of the Brits<br><br>Duncan Campbell<br>Monday August 29, 2005<br><br>Guardian<br><br>Not since the Rumble in the Jungle, when Muhammad Ali fought George Foreman in Kinshasa in 1974, can there have been such an eagerly anticipated punch-up as the one due to take place in New York in a fortnight.<br>Odds as to whether the bout will go the distance, or on who can deliver a knockout punch, are already being offered as ring-side seats are sought.<br><br>The Grapple in the Big Apple will pit "Gorgeous" George Galloway, the MP, against Christopher Hitchens, the writer and polemicist, in a public debate over Iraq and US and British foreign policy. Political junkies in America are drooling at the prospect.<br><br>When the anti-war Respect MP for Bethnal Green visited Washington earlier this summer to deliver a lecture on Iraq to a gobsmacked Senate and to denounce allegations made against him by Republican senators, he briefly exchanged verbal fisticuffs with the pro-war Hitchens, and accused him of being a "drink-sodden former Trotskyist popinjay".<br><br>Now it's time for a re-match. The event will take place on September 14 in the Mason Hall at the Baruch College performing arts centre in the Gramercy Park area of Manhattan. It may not have quite the whiff of Madison Square Gardens, and the cornermen will be more likely to have to deal with wounded pride than bloodied cheekbones, but the venom will be as potent as in any title bout.<br><br>"Galloway is the most electrifying man in political entertainment," says one US political blogger. "Hopefully, George will follow up on his ... 'drink-sodden former Trotskyist popinjay' jibe. That will take some beating, but I am confident he can top it."<br><br>Galloway is described on promotional material for his American talking tour as "the Brit who set Congress straight about Iraq". The referee - or moderator - will be Amy Goodman, veteran broadcaster for the leftist Pacifica radio network, who has a no-nonsense style of dealing with any troublemakers.<br><br>Supporters of Hitchens are hoping their man can prevail. He was seen in light training at the Hay-on-Wye festival, when he dispatched anti-smokers who objected to his lighting up with a couple of low blows.<br><br>On the conservative New Criterion magazine's website, one fan ponders: "Heck, I thought the UK deported Galloway back to Egypt with the rest of the clerics ... This is one cage match I surely plan to see."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> <p></p><i></i>
antiaristo

Return to Iraq