Update on Camp Casey in Crawford Texas

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Bus Tour!

Postby heath7 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:37 pm

When August is over, Cindy is going to yank up stakes and do a bus tour to DC for the big protest next month. Yay!<br><br>Too bad I live the wrong direction. <p></p><i></i>
heath7

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Re:Eric Blumrich's tribute to Cindy Sheehan

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:45 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.bushflash.com/vigil.html">www.bushflash.com/vigil.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>THEY ATTACK THE MESSENGER BECAUSE THEY FEAR THE MESSAGE</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> <br><br><br><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:teal;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:xx-small;"><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em> We shall overcome<br>We shall overcome<br>We shall overcome some day <br><br>Oh deep in my heart<br>I do believe<br>We shall overcome some day <br><br>We'll walk hand in hand<br>We'll walk hand in hand<br>We'll walk hand in hand some day<br><br>Oh deep in my heart<br>I do believe<br>We shall overcome some day<br><br>We shall all be free<br>We shall all be free<br>We shall all be free some day<br><br>Oh deep in my heart<br>I do believe<br>We shall overcome some day <br><br>We are not afraid<br>We are not afraid<br>We are not afraid today<br><br>Oh deep in my heart<br>I do believe<br>We shall overcome some day <br><br>We are not alone<br>We are not alone<br>We are not alone today<br><br>Oh deep in my heart<br>I do believe<br>We shall overcome some day <br><br>The whole wide world around<br>The whole wide world around<br>The whole wide world around some day<br><br>Oh deep in my heart<br>I do believe<br>We shall overcome some day <br><br>We shall overcome<br>We shall overcome<br>We shall overcome some day<br><br>Oh deep in my heart<br>I do believe<br>We shall overcome some day</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></span><!--EZCODE FONT END--> <br> <br><br><br><br> <br> <p></p><i></i>
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

HI Sweejak

Postby Peachtree Pam » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:48 pm

Couldn't agree more with you and Stan.<br><br>That's what I meant by the "professional left" moving in now when it's looking "safe" (Joan Baez).<br><br><br>We have to remember that the battle is not between "right" and "left" - they are both corrupted beyond hope - but between "us" and "them" ("them" being the right and left). <p></p><i></i>
Peachtree Pam

Re: HI Sweejak

Postby Sweejak » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:28 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>We have to remember that the battle is not between "right" and "left" - they are both corrupted beyond hope - but between "us" and "them" ("them" being the right and left).<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>My worst fear for this movement is having it hijacked. So far I have seen only attempts and I can't tell if they are honest intentioned or not. I will say that almost everyone I spoke with was disgusted with both Right and Left. I think the whole R/L thing is collapsing.<br><br>Two statements by Sheehan stand out for me. "Any group who is anti-war can come down here and help us" and "everything gets funneled thru me and my vision". <br><br>The suspense is killing me. I may just have to run up there again this weekend.<br><br><br>Then there is this as of yet unverified snip:<br><br>"Tom Hayden, who by 1986 was defending his state assembly seat against those trying to oust him because of his anti-war record, was quoted as saying that while he was protesting against the Vietnam War, he was also cooperating with U.S. intelligence agents"<br><br>--- AP in San Francisco Examiner, June 21, 1986.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Sweejak

Tensions are high.

Postby GDN01 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:25 am

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.upbeatdefiance.com/xoops/modules/news/article.php?storyid=114">This is an update</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> from people I met at Camp Casey. Buddy and Annie are both attorneys and provide legal counsel for the camp. They are both great people. Sounds like things are going to be tense this weekend. Send your peaceful energy to Crawford - I think they will be needing it.<br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Evening Update from Camp Casey <br>2005/8/26 19:37:58 <br><br>Well it seems our freeper friends just can't leave well enough alone. I just got off the phone with Buddy He informs me that the Camp is now under full alert. There are 3 sheriffs units in the triangle and they anticipate some attemp by the, Radical Rightwinger's, to destroy the the crosses. Buddy didn't have anymore information on who or what the freepers plans were.<br><br>Things had been rather quiet today but not long ago Buddy got wind of a threat by the Radical Rightwingers. "For some reason they have this fixation about the crosses" Buddy said. "It's a good thing we made friends with the Sheriff's office" he added. You may remember on Buddy and Annies first visit they befriended the local Sheriffs Dept.<br><br>The Sheriffs were in a meeting while I was on the phone with Buddy, and he expected an update from them shortly. With the Veterans for Peace there this is really a bad time for the freepers to be trying anything, and as I said before this should enlighten the rest of America just what these freepers are really about. This has been a peaceful protest so far and the only violence has come from the right wingers. America Take Notice!<br><br>Buddy said they may have a huge conflict this weekend, and urges eveyone to come in support. Cindy is remaining at Camp II for safty sake, and he is going to call me if anything happens so stay tuned folks this could get crazy.<br><br>This is for Ditta. I told Buddy you were worried and he told me to tell you "Bad Grass don't Die" and besides that he thinks he'll have to get a Sheriffs uniform when he gets back because of the effect these Sheriffs Uniforms have had on Anita. He said if they get through him they'll have to go through a bunch of Sheriffs to get to Annie. </em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=gdn01>GDN01</A> at: 8/26/05 11:25 pm<br></i>
GDN01

Re: Tensions are high.

Postby Sweejak » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:02 am

Oh man, don't make me come down there!<br><br>Freepers?... give em enough rope and they will hang themselves. <p></p><i></i>
Sweejak

Postby GDN01 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:29 am

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.upbeatdefiance.com/xoops/modules/news/article.php?storyid=115">Things have calmed down.</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Just spoke to Buddy - everything is nice and quiet at Camp Casey - Buddy says they are still on 'high alert,' but it is looking like for no reason. There are 2 police stationed in the triangle all night, Vets are stationed all around, and there is even a 'back perimeter' guard equipped with walkie talkies. I think we can rest assured that there will be no successful sneak attacks<br><br>Buddy says there are 250-300 people camped out at Camp Casey 1 tonight - the row of campers stretches close to a mile down the road! Wow!<br><br>That should be it for the night... Buddy will call if anything goes down before I check in in the morning, but doesn't anticipate having to do so.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>I hope Camp Casey makes it through the weekend as peacefully as it has the previous two.<br>Sweejak - if you head that direction, stay safe! <p></p><i></i>
GDN01

Postby Sweejak » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:29 am

GDN keep me posted, you still have my email? I have alot of work I just have to catch up on. Customers are wondering where I am going on the weekends LOL. If I get some stuff cleared out I may not be able to resist going, There is a caravan from Austin heading up today. Lawn chair..check Pontimaniac...check. <br>This goes on till the 31st so I still have time for another visit and it might be nice to check in at the the beginning, middle and end even if I miss the "big"one. <p></p><i></i>
Sweejak

Today's updates from the Iconoclast

Postby GDN01 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:42 pm

1:17 p.m.<br>Michael Harvey reporting for the Iconoclast<br><br>At Camp Casey I, it is hot, probably 110 degrees. Members on each side of the triangle are yelling at each other, veterans for the war on one side, veterans against the war on the other. They are taunting each other.<br><br>The crowd is growing and parking has become a big problem.<br><br>At the pro-Bush side of the encampment, a hot-dog stand has been set up.<br><br>1:15 p.m.<br>Gene Ellis reporting for the Iconoclast<br><br>Joan Baez has returned and just led everyone in singing Amazing Grace at Camp Casey II. When she finished she said, "Christian right, eat your heart out."<br><br>She is slated to sing interspersed throughout the rally this afternoon. The barbecue is still to follow, as is the continued rally. Various artists from Austin are slated to perform later.<br><br>Another busload of people has come in. Several helicopters are flying about.<br><br>12:45 p.m.<br>Gene Ellis reporting for The Iconoclast<br><br>There are probably 2,000 people or more in the big tent at Camp Casey II. There is a rally under way on the stage with a man, and now the entire audience, singing God Bless America. Coordinator Ann Wright spoke for a few minutes earlier. A huge luncheon is set out with people lined up. Another busload of people is driving up right now. Parking is pretty much maxed out now.<br><br>Ann Wright is currently speaking again. You can smell barbecue cooking. Programs on stage are continuing during the day. Gatorade and water is being passed out among the crowd.<br><br>People just keep piling in. It is very hot.<br><br>There is going to be a wedding tomorrow at 4 p.m. at Camp Casey II. The bride says she will find and wear the cleanest T-shirt she's got and the money that would be have been spent on the wedding will go to the Peace House and Cindy Sheehan's group.<br><br><br>The <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://198.65.14.85/News/2005/31-40/34news20.htm">local Crawford paper</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> is providing updates throughout each day. <p></p><i></i>
GDN01

Re: Today's updates from the Iconoclast

Postby Sweejak » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:59 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>There is going to be a wedding tomorrow at 4 p.m. at Camp Casey II. The bride says she will find and wear the cleanest T-shirt she's got and the money that would be have been spent on the wedding will go to the Peace House and Cindy Sheehan's group.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>What next, a birth?<br>Well, I'm not going today, I feel so left out and am pacing the shop floors with each step hoping this thing stays cool.<br><br>Vets yelling at each other. Hmmm. <p></p><i></i>
Sweejak

Vets yelling at each other. Hmmm.

Postby proldic » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:18 pm

Why the hmmm, Sweejak?<br><br>Smell something funny? <p></p><i></i>
proldic

re: Vets yelling at each other. Hmmm ...

Postby Starman » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:24 pm

That sure raises a cointelpro flag for me ... After all, infiltrating opposing 'groups' to cause/provoke dissent, infighting, confusion, factionalism, and discord, to discredit and tar a targetted group and render them compromised and undermine their 'message', is HARDLY somethig new to the self-selected Guarantor-Protecters of American Liberty and Justice, ie. Federal Bureau of Instigation.<br><br>But I don't doubt that each 'side' has passionate adherants who feel very strongly about upholding their respective views and are quite capable of being goaded into enflamed rhetoric.<br><br>However, it's to be hoped that the anti-war/anti-idiocy protesters would be savvy enough to see that yelling rarely accomplishes much but the questionable 'value' of venting -- How much more effective they'd be to provide an example of principled moderation and reason by which to encourage authentic communication and dialogue.<br><br>Anyway, the most important thing is to show solidarity with the folks there in Crawford providing a high-visibility front against the madness and criminal idiocy of war.<br><br>Some recent, not current, images from both 'sides' of the protest-divide:<br><br>Eyeballing the Bush-Ranch Protests<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://cryptome.org/brp4/bush-ranch4.htm">cryptome.org/brp4/bush-ranch4.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://cryptome.org/brp3/bush-ranch3.htm">cryptome.org/brp3/bush-ranch3.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://cryptome.org/brp/bush-ranch2.htm">cryptome.org/brp/bush-ranch2.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://cryptome.org/brp/bush-ranch1.htm">cryptome.org/brp/bush-ranch1.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br><br><br>Peace and Light, Y'all!<br>Starman <p></p><i></i>
Starman

Vets

Postby Sweejak » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:30 pm

Not especially, I just find it quite a statement to have vets battling each other. Not the first time though. And I guess I went Hmmm when I thought about John Titor and civil war.<br> <br>Frankly, I am also just plain paranoid about provacteurs and hijacking.. from either side. I've seen too much of it. In any event I will always remember the shining hope, the nascent community, that of Camp 1.<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Update:<br>Update from Crawford Protests;<br><br> Deborah Mathews reporting for The Iconoclast<br><br> 1:45 p.m.<br><br> There are apparently three Cindy Sheehan supporters out here in the<br>middle of the crowd. Their signs appear to have been torn up and they are<br>being escored away by law enforcement personnel.<br><br> These people are serious out here.<br><br> Someone's yelling, "That's what they want to do, distract us."<br><br> People in the crowd roar at any given moment.<br><br> Melanie Morgan just screamed out, "This is not Vietnam." The crowd<br>absolutely erupted.<br><br> The father of a boy in sniper training in Iraq said he spoke with his<br>son on the phone who said, "Cindy Sheehan shut up. You're getting us<br>killed."<br> "Cindy go home" is what the crowd is chanting now.<br><br> One sign says, "Cindy Sheehan, the bitch in the ditch."<br><br><br> More; <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://198.65.14.85/News/2005/31-40/34news19.htm">198.65.14.85/News/2005/31...news19.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br><br>PATHETIC ATEMPT...<br><br> 1000's of Pro-Bush Supporters Expected; Six Have Already Arrived -PIX->>><br><br><br> At least the AP is getting better with the nomenclature.<br><br><br> ___________________________________________<br><br><br><br><br> Pro-Bush supporters picket in downtown Crawford, Texas, Saturday, Aug.<br> 27, 2005. Thousand of pro-Bush supporters are expected in Crawford to<br> counter the supporters of Cindy Sheehan. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)<br><br> <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050827/480/txm...">news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=...480/txm...</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br> ___________________________________________<br><br><br><br> Jim Faulkner, a Vietnam veteran from San Antonio, holds a sign in<br> support of the troops at a gathering of Pro-Bush supporters, Saturday,<br> Aug. 27, 2005, in Crawford, Texas. Thousand of pro-Bush supporters<br> are expected in Crawford to counter the supporters of Cindy Sheehan.<br> (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)<br><br> <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050827/480/txm...">news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=...480/txm...</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br> ___________________________________________<br><br><br><br> Pro-Bush protestor Pam Vasquez, of Hewitt, Texas, sits in the shade<br> of her car as she fans herself with a piece of cardboard in an attempt<br> to cool off in Crawford, Texas., Satursday, Aug. 27, 2005. Thousand<br> of pro-Bush supporters are expected in Crawford to counter the<br> supporters of Cindy Sheehan. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)<br><br> <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050827/480/txs...">news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=...480/txs...</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br> ___________________________________________<br><br><br> Sheriff deputies arrest a pro-war demonstrator at the protest camp<br> near U.S. President George W. Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas, August<br> 27, 2005. Crawford authorities are geared up for an estimated 3,000<br> to 7,000 protesters on both sides of the Iraq war issue. REUTERS/Jeff<br> Mitchell<br><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050827/ids_photos_ts/r145103086.jpg">news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=...103086.jpg</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Keep cool Camp Casey! Give em more rope.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Sweejak

Slate: Cindy Lied

Postby proldic » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:36 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.slate.com/id/2124788/sidebar/2124791/">www.slate.com/id/2124788/...r/2124791/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Cindy Sheehan has denied that she wrote certain parts of the March 15, 2005, letter that was e-mailed to Nightline in her name. This was the letter quoted in Slate's Aug. 15 Fighting Words column. Specifically, Sheehan claimed that her letter was doctored after the fact to include anti-Israel language. Here is the controversial passage:<br><br>Am I emotional? Yes, my first born was murdered. Am I angry? Yes, he was killed for lies and for a PNAC Neo-Con agenda to benefit Israel. My son joined the army to protect America, not Israel. Am I stupid? No, I know full well that my son, my family, this nation and this world were betrayed by George Bush who was influenced by the neo-con PNAC agendas after 9/11. We were told that we were attacked on 9/11 because the terrorists hate our freedoms and democracy … not for the real reason, because the Arab Muslims who attacked us hate our middle-eastern foreign policy.<br><br>Was the letter doctored? Or did she write the anti-Israel language in it? <br><br>In March, after participating in a Nightline town hall meeting, Cindy Sheehan wrote a letter and e-mailed it to James Morris—an anti-Zionist activist—who forwarded it at her request to Nightline Executive Producer Tom Bettag. Sheehan admits this, and Nightline spokesperson Emily Lenzner has confirmed that Bettag received Sheehan's e-mail via Morris on March 15.<br><br>On Aug. 15, Anderson Cooper asked her about the anti-Zionist statements contained in the letter, and she denied having made them. Sheehan then claimed that Morris doctored her Nightline letter. On Aug. 17, she wrote in her blog:<br><br>Another "big deal" today was the lie that I had said that Casey died for Israel. I never said that, I never wrote that. I had supposedly said it in a letter that I wrote to Ted Koppel's producer in March. I wrote the letter because I was upset at the way Ted treated me when I appeared at a Nightline Town Hall meeting in January right after the inauguration. I felt that Ted had totally disrespected me. I wrote the letter to Ted Bettag [sic] and cc'd a copy to the person who gave me Ted's [sic] address. I believe he changed the email and sent it out to capitalize on my new found notoriety by promoting his own agenda.<br><br>[Note: Sheehan misremembered when she said that she cc'd it. Nightline and Morris both confirm that she sent the letter to Morris, who forwarded it to Bettag.]<br><br>Sheehan subsequently implied, through a spokesperson at Fenton Communications, that Morris had hacked into her e-mail. Later, Fenton Communications and Sheehan backed off the hacking claim, but both maintain that the words in the letter about Israel are not her own. For his part, Morris denies having tampered with the letter and confirms that the version circulating is the same as the one she sent to him. <br><br>There is other proof that Sheehan wrote the whole letter. After she sent the letter to Morris, Sheehan also e-mailed it to several other people, including Tony Tersch, a retiree living in Thailand, and Skeeter Gallagher. Both belong to a small Internet bulletin board called Bull Yard. Tersch had become her correspondent after contacting her out of personal and political sympathy. At Gallagher's request, Tersch posted Sheehan's letter to Bull Yard on March 17. Here is the letter as it appears there. This is the version that has been circulating, and from which Slate quoted. Tersch has confirmed that he received the letter from Sheehan directly and has stated that he did not doctor the e-mail before posting it.<br><br>Unless Sheehan is the victim of an elaborate Morris-Tersch conspiracy quietly put in motion on March 17, months before she became famous, those are her words.—By Blake Wilson <br> <p></p><i></i>
proldic

Re: Slate: Cindy Lied

Postby GDN01 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:25 pm

This is a non-issue for me. I have no idea what she wrote - and even if she wrote that letter, I think she is speaking the truth. This war and it's imperialistic goal is the brainchild of the writers of PNAC and one of their aims is to protect Israel. I think it was a poor choice of words to use in a country that can't handle any criticism of Israel, but when she wrote that, she had not become the public figure she is today.<br><br>This is not a message she is trying to get out. It's something dug up to smear her in public opinion. If she wrote it, I wish she would have said so but I'm not going to take Slate's words for this either. We don't know what is going on and who these other people are. <br><br>I do wish the people who are putting so much energy into catching Cindy in a lie would put half that amount of energy into scrutinizing the words of our President and focus on the lies he has told which have led to the deaths of thousands of people. <p></p><i></i>
GDN01

PreviousNext

Return to Iraq