Police forcibly break up Cindy Sheehan rally

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Police forcibly break up Cindy Sheehan rally

Postby DrDebugDU » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:17 pm

By Pete Dolack <br><br>The New York City Police Department forcibly broke up this afternoon's rally for Cindy Sheehan, moving in as Cindy was speaking at about 3 p.m. in Union Square.<br><br>The New York City Police Department forcibly broke up this afternoon's rally for Cindy Sheehan, moving in as Cindy was speaking at about 3 p.m. in Union Square. The rally had been underway for about an hour, and was about to conclude as Cindy spoke following several other speakers, including a few who are traveling with her on her caravan. <br><br>As Cindy was speaking, a large platoon of police massed behind from the interior of the park, then formed a circle behind her, the speakers' area and a few dozen people who were deployed in an arc behind her. Overall, about 200 people were in attendance, with the crowd steadily increasing in size as the rally progressed. As the police formed their arc just behind, the men and women immediately behind Cindy linked arms. A captain made a cutting motion at his throat, signalling he wanted no more free speech. He waited about 30 seconds, then the police moved in. They didn't dare arrest Cindy, but they immediately moved in and grabbed zool, the event's organizer and one of the main organizers of Camp Casey-NYC, pulling him away and arresting him. I do not believe anyone else was arrested; at least I didn't see any other arrests. I was nearby, and there was no hesitation on the part of the police in specifically targetting zool. <br><br>The police also took the microphone and sound system. The crowd shouted "Shame! Shame!" at the police and asked what they were so afrraid of, but made no response. There was a moderate press presence, even a bit of corporate media there, although the only television crew covering the rally was RTV from Russia. <br><br>No warning of any kind was given, and this was a permitted rally. Other than the captain making his cut motion, 30 seconds before forcibly breaking up the rally, there was no warning, verbal or in any other fashion. The police had massed perhaps three or four minutes before moving in. Until then, the rally had gone smoothly, starting just after 2 p.m. as scheduled. Cindy and the rest of the caravan arrived sometime after 2:30; the rest of the rally was comprised of speakers from the caravan. Many groups were in attendence besides Camp Casey-NYC, including Military Families Speak Out, Gold Star Families for Peace, the Troops Out Now Coalition, the No Police State Coalition and the Green Party, among others. <br><br>As several people confronted the police in the minutes following the arrest of zool and the stealing of the sound equipment, a woman from the caravan said they had done more than 100 events in 51 cities, and nothing like this had ever happened to them. There is no free speech in Crawford, Texas -- Camp Casey has been under attack there -- and there is no free speech in New York City. The police have attacked Camp Casey-NYC on at least two previous Mondays, have taken the camps's tents, confiscated banners and made arrests. This is merely the latest example of Bloomberg's contempt for opinions that challenge the authorities, particularly Republican Party authorities. And where are our supposed policital leaders? Nothing but silence. <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://nyc.indymedia.org/en/2005/09/57261.html">nyc.indymedia.org/en/2005/09/57261.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
DrDebugDU

Blog: View Blog (0)

NYC Police State acting predictably coarse and foul ...

Postby Starman » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:52 pm

Holy Bleedy Hell -- The irony is immaculate, too bad so many brain-damaged clueless morons who THINK they support America's ideals of liberty and free speech just don't get it. Sheeny's son Casey died presumably to support the right of free speech and assembly in Iraq, while it's being deliberately denied to Sheeny here in the good ol' USA.<br><br>I often wonder at how the police who allow themselves to be used as tools of oppression in attacking free speech and free assembly participants rationalize their role -- do they just refuse to think about it and just follow orders, or do they create elaborate rationalizations, or do they just 'go along' to protect their jobs and pensions? In this, they're like the NYC firefighters and first-responders who believe the 911 WTC attacks were an inside job but don't make any public comments or otherwise challenge the lies and cover-up, thru concern for thier job-security and benefits -- they've essentially been bribed and intimidated to stay silent about a monstrous injustice and defacto treason, which is nothing less than a despicable kind of cowardice. Unfortunately, an awful lot of America has been corrupted by such venal, self-absorbed thinking, in which Public Education is most certainly implicated. It's an 'attack' on principles and critical thinking, trading off ideals for pragmatic 'benefits'.<br>Starman<br><br>BTW Dr.D.DU -- thanks for the story and link. This could be big -- especially if Sheehan got arrested and the city drags-out charging her so she 'misses' the 9-24 DC Rally.<br>I still haven't found any reliable confirmation on whether she was or wasn't busted. In any event, shutting down the Union Square gathering was chickenshit fascist. <p></p><i></i>
Starman

Re: NYC Police State acting predictably coarse and foul ...

Postby DrDebugDU » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:02 pm

About the BTW part. There is no confirmation that she was actually arrested. Nevertheless they managed to break up the demonstration. <br><br>Remember that it is just weakness for their side and by exposing their weakness they only become weaker and not stronger. It may appear that you can people under control by fear, but it's an illusion. <br><br>Only love is the force that keeps things together and since they don't realize that, they are working towards their own demise. The BFEE may look strong, but it's nothing but a deception, it's a masquerade of their own fragility. <p></p><i></i>
DrDebugDU

Re: NYC Police State acting predictably coarse and foul ...

Postby dbeach » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:01 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://bushspeaks.com/home.asp?did=203&dir=b">bushspeaks.com/home.asp?did=203&dir=b</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>bushies gotta find those terrists..all they need to do is look in the mirrors at their family reunions..<br><br><br>NONEWORSETHAN BUSH.COM <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Photos from the rally today in NYC

Postby Seventhson » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:50 am

a good quaker friend sent me the following link and I expect there will be more photos.<br><br>The author of the blog is pictured singing today (Lorcan) and was present during the events.<br><br>Visit his quaker blog and take a look and please comment and send his own readers back here via links - okay?<br><br>Thx <p></p><i></i>
Seventhson

oops - here's the link

Postby Seventhson » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:53 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://plaininthecity.blogspot.com/">plaininthecity.blogspot.com/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br>an interesting read and givesa a unique Quaker perspective from one of the denizens of St Marks Place (one of my favorite haunts since even before I saw Hendrix perform there at the Fillmore East on New Years 1969-70 with his band of gypsies). <p></p><i></i>
Seventhson

Return to Iraq