Michael Parenti: Amy Goodman Altered DN Transcript

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Michael Parenti: Amy Goodman Altered DN Transcript

Postby proldic » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:13 pm

<br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>...and you can quote me.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--></strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Parenti says that, in an interview w/ Goodman leading up to the Iraq war, when he said -- in contradiction to her speculation of incompetence or competition as motive for the war -- "they know <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>exactly</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> what they're doing there", her face turned as white as a ghost, and they removed that part from the transcript. <br><br>He reiterated this to me in a q&a I will publish soon. E-mail him if you want confirmation. <p></p><i></i>
proldic

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Michael Parenti: Amy Goodman Altered DN Transcript

Postby dbeach » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:15 pm

I believe it..she was exposed as a left gatekeeper with the list right here at RI this summer <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Postby marykmusic » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:05 pm

Love Parenti! Got several of his lectures on tape and video. --MaryK <p></p><i></i>
marykmusic

Postby professorpan » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:32 pm

Amy Goodman does a tremendous service with her program.<br><br>Just because someone (in this case, Goodman) doesn't espouse every friggin' theory tossed around here doesn't mean they are compromised or deliberate disinformationists -- it just means they might have different ideas and opinions.<br><br>Fer crissakes, if Amy Goodman is the enemy, we're utterly fucked. The "gatekeeper" slur thrown at people like Goodman is absurd and an insult. <br><br>But perhaps saying such things will earn me the gatekeeper label? <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Goodman's gatekeeping

Postby Felix » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:49 pm

My understanding of the word gatekeeper is that it means " someone who controls access or guards an entrance". Yes, Goodman is a gatekeeper. I'm sure we could all create a list of gatekeeping activities, my favorite is the use of Chip Berlet to deflect attention from anything that sounds like a conspiracy. I'll let others nominate their favorite.<br>Does this mean Goodman and especially others on Democracy Now are Never to be trusted? I think not. I am especially fond of Jeremy Scahill's reporting. Heard him yesterday speaking about Blackwater and the continued militarization of New Orleans.<br><br>"Fer crissakes, if Amy Goodman is the enemy, we're utterly fucked"<br>Exactly. All the more reason to not let your defenses down and think clearly at all times.<br><br>A favorite writer of mine who brings this to the fore is Derrick Jensen. Writer of the "Culture of Make-Believe" about his and his families childhood abuse at the hands of his lawyer judge father who raped all of his children. No one believed it, of course. Jensen has gone on to write "Welcome to the Machine, Science, surveillance and the Culture of Control". I mention him because it seems many of us can create new useful messages for the culture and ourselves if remain totally honest and expect the same from others. Otherwise, as professorpan says "we ARE totally fucked". <p></p><i></i>
Felix

We have a politically mixed population here

Postby Avalon » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:52 pm

I'm sure that Jeff, our Big Gatekeeper here, is not feeling like stopping squabbles at the moment.<br><br>I'd like to remind folks that some of us here are left-wing, some of us are right-wing, some are centrists and some play the field. Let's try not to personalize political conflicts and label people with buzzwords.<br><br>The current popularity of the "gatekeeper" notion is not adding to clarity and discernment. Any time any one of us is in a position of responsibility for action or information with a finite amount of time, energy, or resources, we're gatekeepers. It's not inherently bad, and as Professor Pan says, if Amy Goodman is the enemy, we <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>are</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> utterly fucked.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Avalon

Re: We have a politically mixed population here

Postby dbeach » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:02 pm

i used the term gatekeper <br><br>let me clarify it<br><br>there was a chart here about the left gatekeepers back in summer .<br>and of course the right has same..<br><br>I just happen to think that the left right model is serving only the elites ...dems repubs..Its all the same party. <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

dbeach 12:02 p.m.

Postby Felix » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:07 pm

Amen brother. <p></p><i></i>
Felix

Postby Gouda » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:07 pm

Amy does a great service. And so does Michael Parenti. <br><br>Parenti offers constructive criticism; I don't think he sees AG as an enemy. Some people have legitimate questions as to why (it seems that) AG and Dem Now restrict their inquiry when there is really no logical reason to. <br><br>I also disagree with trotting out labels like that. <br><br>I'd hope we can all try that and learn from each other, constructively, even if it comes to a little boxing now and then. <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

you've got to be kidding me

Postby proldic » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:09 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I'm sure that Jeff, our Big Gatekeeper here, is not feeling like stopping squabbles at the moment.<br><br>I'd like to remind folks that some of us here are left-wing, some of us are right-wing, some are centrists and some play the field. Let's try not to personalize political conflicts...<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
proldic

labels

Postby Felix » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:09 pm

Can we still call a real dog a dog? <p></p><i></i>
Felix

nonsense

Postby Avalon » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:10 pm

"Its all the same party"<br><br>Ever attend a Republican gathering? And a Democrat gathering?<br><br>It's entirely too facile to use the "they're all the same" epithet. Yeah, sometimes they are -- but sometimes they aren't.<br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Avalon

Postby Gouda » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:21 pm

I understand the emotions surrounding these issues - people are dying, people are being tortured, people are being screwed left and right - things are really really bad, getting worse, and so much is at stake, like everything. One would like to clear away all bullshit, all "gatekeepers" and rally around those cutting to the heart of the matter. I feel this too. But we have to maintain a constructive spirit, some humility, keep asking questions, and not fall prey to easy labels, scapegoating, fear, hopelessness...or we'll fail by falling into our own limiting ideological traps, the same traps we accuse the "gatekeepers" of maintaining. <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

nonsense

Postby Felix » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:26 pm

Yes, distinctions are important, but on some points they ARE all the same. A dog is a dog is a dog, but some of them are labs, some are poodles, some are collies.<br><br>Maybe we do all come from different places, but I'm guessing most are from the left (or like myself, recovering from the left). And yes, been to both dem and repub groups. Find the repubs to be more sugary and the dems to be more puffed out.<br><br>No one party will save us, obviously, but I find that honesty can do the trick now and then. I find the craven, slavish follow the leader mentality to be useless and at the point that New Orleans was drowning and you couldn't find EVEN the democrats to speak up horrifying. Where is the F-ing outrage? People still are homeless, dead people are still in the streets, the military has basically taken over. But never fear because Senator Feingold from my state is running for prez in 2008 and he's against the war. Yipee! And those ballots will be counted by whom? And we may have martial law before then. But, it's ok, don't want to offend anyone by useing the wrong word. <p></p><i></i>
Felix

Re: Parenti on Chomsky's Kennedy thing

Postby Gouda » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:30 pm

Parenti in <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Dirty Truths</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> (pgs. 172 - 191) on Chomsky's aversion to alternative evidence regarding the Kennedy assassination (thanks to Malcontent X for having this all printed out online): <br><br>"Chomsky is able to maintain his criticism that no credible evidence has come to light only by remaining determinedly unacquainted with the mountain of evidence that has been uncovered.<br><br>It is an either-or world for those on the Left who harbour an aversion for any kind of conspiracy investigation: either you are a structuralist in your approach to politics or a “conspiracist” who reduces historical developments to the machinations of secret cabals, thereby causing us to lose sight of the larger systemic forces. As Chomsky notes: 'However unpleasant and difficult it may be, there is no escape from the need to confront the reality of institutions and the policies and actions they largely shape.' (Z Magazine, 10/92).<br><br>I trust that one of the institutions he has in mind is the CIA. In most of its operations, the CIA is by definition a conspiracy, using covert actions and secret plans, many of which are of the most unsavory kind. What are covert operations if not conspiracies? At the same time, the CIA is an institution, a structural part of the national security state. In sum, the agency is an institutionalized conspiracy.<br><br>As I pointed out in published exchanges with Cockburn and Chomsky (neither of whom responded to the argument), conspiracy and structure are not mutually exclusive dynamics.<br><br>Conspiracies are a component of the national security political system, not deviations from it. Ruling elites use both conspiratorial covert actions and overtly legitimating procedures at home and abroad. They finance everything from electoral campaigns and publishing houses to mobsters and death squads. They utilize every conceivable stratagem, including killing one of their own if they perceive him to be a barrier to their larger agenda of making the world safe for those who own it.<br><br>G. William Domhofff points out: 'If ‘conspiracy’ means that these [ruling class] men are aware of their interests, know each other personally, meet together privately and off the record, and try to hammer out a consensus on how to anticipate and react to events and issues, then there is some conspiring that goes on in CFR [the Council for Foreign Relations], not to mention the Committee for Economic Development, the Business Council, the National Security Council, and the Central Intelligence Agency.' After providing this useful description of institutional conspiracy, Domhoff then conjures up a caricature that often clouds the issue: 'We all have a tremendous tendency to want to get caught up in believing that there’s some secret evil cause for all of the obvious ills of the world.” Conspiracy theories “encourage a belief that if we get rid of a few bad people, everything will be well in the world.'<br><br>To this simplistic notion Peter Dale Scott responds: “I believe that a true understanding of the Kennedy assassination will lead not to a few bad people but to the institutional and parapolitical arrangements which constitute the way we are systematically governed.” In sum, national security state conspiracies are components of our political structure, not deviations from it.<br><br>Chomsky claims that the Nazi-like appeals of rightist propagandists have a counterpart on the Left: 'It’s the conspiracy business. Hang around California, for example, and the left has just been torn to shreds because they see CIA conspiracies . . . secret governments [behind] the Kennedy assassination. This kind of stuff has just wiped out a large part of the left' (Against the Current 56, 1993). Chomsky offers no evidence to support this bizarre statement.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Next

Return to Iraq