Guantanamo hunger strike day 56

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Guantanamo hunger strike day 56

Postby Qutb » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:45 pm

GENEVA (Reuters) - The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said on Friday the situation was serious inside the U.S. Guantanamo Bay prison camp, where a number of prisoners are on hunger strike.<br><br>But ICRC spokeswoman Antonella Notari declined to comment on Thursday's statement by a defence lawyer that the action involved 200 of 500 prisoners and that 21 were being force-fed.<br><br>Amnesty International and human rights lawyer Clive Stafford Smith, a lawyer representing some 40 detainees, said on Thursday that U.S. authorities were keeping 21 alive by forcing food into their stomachs through tubes pushed up their noses.<br><br>The prisoners were on the 56th day of their strike and were shackled to their beds 24 hours a day to stop them removing the tubes, Stafford Smith said.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2005-10-07T190013Z_01_SPI764615_RTRUKOC_0_UK-RIGHTS-GUANTANAMO-CROSS.xml" target="top">Reuters</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:black;font-family:century gothic;font-size:x-small;"><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Qutb means "axis," "pole," "the center," which contains the periphery or is present in it. The qutb is a spiritual being, or function, which can reside in a human being or several human beings or a moment. It is the elusive mystery of how the divine gets delegated into the manifest world and obviously cannot be defined.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--></span><!--EZCODE FONT END--><br><br></p><i></i>
Qutb

Blog: View Blog (0)

Jesus.

Postby Homeless Halo » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:06 pm

I guess soft conditioning just isn't what it used to be, huh?<br><br>Worst thing is, you could actually help all of these people, even the ones that are actually bad, with say, like a hash pipe and care bears video. <br><br>I've always thought that the Western Capitalist approach to war should involve more moments where we just buy our enemies instead.<br><br>Although I guess that isn't as profitable.<br><br>Or it is. Depending on how you define profit.<br><br><br>All of this is ridiculous, not for me so much for the sympathy I feel for the abused (*amoralist*), but really because it just doesn't work very well given our stated goals. That is, to convert them to our cause and to extract information. Abuse doesn't work. It makes people into less than people.<br><br>Although, if that's what you're after...<br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Homeless Halo

You hit the nail on the head...

Postby professorpan » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:17 am

The psychological and physical torture isn't designed to extract information. Most of prisoners are, as the military admits, low-level lackeys. There's little information left to extract.<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>It's an experiment.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>He was taken into an interrogation room whose door was open to an adjacent room filled with computers. Military police shackled him to the floor, he said. In the computer room, a naked man and woman were having sex on a table. Afterward, he said, the man put on his clothes and started to question him, telling him that if he cooperated, he, too, could have sex with his "girlfriend."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>And this curious "extraction" technique...<br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>A prisoner is shown a picture of a telephone. A psychologist asks him what it is. When he answers that it's a telephone, the psychiatrist angrily responds: "It's not a telephone -- it's a bomb!" </em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>--The New Yorker "The Experiment," by Jane Mayer, July 11 & 18, 2005<br><br>We're in the business of creating terrorists. GITMO is one big terrorist factory, and the inmates have caught on. So they're saying, essentially, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>fuck you, we'll die before we become your assassins.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>Terrorism benefits BushCorps. It enriches them psychically and financially, vampiristic cabal that they are. The more terrorists there are, the more money they make and the more their Christofascist beliefs are cemented. <br><br>Why do you think the White House is planning to veto the anti-torture bill, in the face of a "revolt" in Congress? <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Because torture creates terrorists.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> And terrorists create profits for the military/industrial/security complex.<br><br>Time to listen to "Masters of War" again, I suppose. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Return to Iraq