1 in 4 Iraq vets ailing on return

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

1 in 4 Iraq vets ailing on return

Postby nomo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:14 pm

1 in 4 Iraq vets ailing on return<br>By Gregg Zoroya, USA TODAY<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2005-10-18-troops-side_x.htm">www.usatoday.com/news/wor...side_x.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>More than one in four U.S. troops have come home from the Iraq war with health problems that require medical or mental health treatment, according to the Pentagon's first detailed screening of servicemembers leaving a war zone. (Related: <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2005-10-18-troops-stress-side_x.htm">Troops screened as never before</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->)<br><br>Almost 1,700 servicemembers returning from the war this year said they harbored thoughts of hurting themselves or that they would be better off dead. More than 250 said they had such thoughts "a lot." Nearly 20,000 reported nightmares or unwanted war recollections; more than 3,700 said they had concerns that they might "hurt or lose control" with someone else.<br><br>These survey results, which have not been publicly released, were provided to USA TODAY by the Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine. They offer a window on the war and how the ongoing insurgency has added to the strain on troops.<br><br>Overall, since the war began, about 28% of Iraq veterans — about 50,000 servicemembers this year alone — returned with problems ranging from lingering battle wounds to toothaches, from suicidal thoughts to strained marriages. The figure dwarfs the Pentagon's official Iraq casualty count: 1,971 U.S. troops dead and 15,220 wounded as of Tuesday.<br><br>A greater percentage of soldiers and Marines surveyed in 2004-05 said they felt in "great danger" of being killed than said so in 2003, after a more conventional phase of fighting. Twice as many surveyed in 2004-05 had fired a weapon in combat.<br><br>"The (wartime) deployments do take a toll," says Lt. Col. Ellen Krenke, a Pentagon spokeswoman. "We send them to austere locations, places that are extremely hot, extremely cold, very wet, very dry ... where they may also encounter an armed enemy."<br><br>The Pentagon's goal is to identify all troops in need of care in part by screening every servicemember on a wide range of issues before and after overseas duty.<br><br>Begun in 1997 and expanded in 2003, it is the most detailed health assessment of deployed troops ever. It came in response to ailments that surfaced after the 1991 Persian Gulf War. Jim Benson, a spokesman at the Department of Veterans Affairs, says comparable data from previous wars don't exist.<br><br>In October 2004, a federal panel of medical experts that studied illnesses of Gulf War veterans estimated that one in seven suffer war-related health problems.<br><br>Benson said the percentage of troops back from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan with health issues is close to the portion of former servicemembers coming to the VA for mental health or medical care. He says 101,000 of the 431,000 war vets who have separated from the military, or about 23%, have sought help. <p>--<br>When all else fails... panic.</p><i></i>
nomo

Blog: View Blog (0)

any links

Postby michael meiring » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:29 pm

Any links to the gulf war syndrome (depleted uranium posioning) 'investigations? there seems to be a deafening silence on these studies, as i see by the neglect to this in the article posted. everything from lingering battle wounds to toothache. ? wheres the bit about DU? or is this subject taboo?<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
michael meiring

Re: any links

Postby AnnaLivia » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:42 pm

sadly, mm, i cannot find a four-hour interview i listened to, but i'll keep looking. the guy was Army, doctor or scientist, assigned to study DU and report. He made so plain that we're seeing the tip of the DU iceburg is all, and it's absolutely not unknown or unproven. it's criminal, straight out. <br><br>I'm wracking my brain for the guy's name...<br><br>will post if i come up with anything. <p></p><i></i>
AnnaLivia

much appreciated

Postby michael meiring » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:58 pm

annalivia<br><br>thanks Anna, would be great if you remember.<br><br>Can you recollect the basics of the article? numbers etc? <p></p><i></i>
michael meiring

Re: much appreciated

Postby thumperton » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:43 pm

In the larger context, the goal is to disable or at have the American military's "hands tied" so that United Nations troops will have an excuse to "protect" the US when the time comes. <p></p><i></i>
thumperton

Re: much appreciated

Postby AnnaLivia » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:28 am

Ok, his name was Doug Rokke. I was thinking it was John something, so I put into google “Army John interview depleted uranium”. What I’d heard was a radio interview, but this was the guy.<br><br>This yesmag thing below is the first site that came up. I copied the google search I did, too.<br><br>Please note guys that I haven’t gone down to the document level on any this, and don’t know anything about any of the sites you might come across. No endorsements from me, except for ridding the world of vainglorious idiots who feel no compunction to restrain themselves from spreading DU poison to us all. Talk about diabolic stupidity.<br><br>And I mean OURS, to let anyone get so uber-wealthpowerful they can pull this shit off.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.yesmagazine.org/article.asp?ID=594">www.yesmagazine.org/article.asp?ID=594</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=John+Army+interview+depleted+uranium&btnG=Google+Search">www.google.com/search?hl=...gle+Search</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>and now my head is about to explode, so it's time to take my mind off the boil for a few hours...<br><br>Rokke is worth reading. who are soldiers? they are our family members. we need them to know the dirty secrets when push comes to shove... <p></p><i></i>
AnnaLivia

GWS and CFS

Postby banned » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:10 am

Years ago when the government and military were totally stone walling on GWS, a friend of mine pointed out the similiarities between it and CFS which I then had. What underlies both is MCS, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, which is when the number of environmental poisons invading the body cause a catastrophic collapse of the immune system. But instead of failing as in AIDS the immune system becomes deranged. In some ways it leads to more illness, because of the depletion of Natural Killer Cells, the first line of defense; but in other ways the immune system is UPregulated, worsening allergies and creating new ones.<br><br>But what I found interesting as well were the differences between GWS and CFS. GWS supposedly could be spread to loved ones, especially spouses, where CFS supposedly wasn't contagious though there were some reports of cases where a spouse seemed to get it. That of course could have been due to exposure to the same environmental toxin/s, the first to get it was just more sensitive to it/them ("the canary in the coal mine"). I know chemical contaminants in someone else can spread--the precipitating factor for me getting CFS was a vet using so much flea spray on my cats (against my orders) while boarding them that when they came home, they stank of it. They slept on my bed, right next to me. Two months later I had what after much misdiagnosis was finally found to be CFS. Interestingly the doctors totally refused to believe me about the chemical connection, even though they admitted they had no idea what caused it!<br><br>Now knowing about DU as a big component of GWS, I have to wonder if the sufferers are actually emitting low levels of radiation and making their loved ones radioactive as well.<br><br>The countries where DU has been used will pay the price for generations to come. (I'm not callous about 'our troops' but they're only a fraction of the victims.) Its use is purely and simply a war crime.<br><br>The other crime is that while not easy it IS possible to detox from chemical exposure but the medical community is in denial about MCS and in some cases claims there is no such thing. And they'd rather sell sick people on medications or 'treatments', and the supplement industry targets them too. There are very cheap and relatively easy ways to do it yourself and not spend a fortune: brown rice, miso, garlic, onions, juice fasts (fresh squeezed organic produce only), detoxing herbs, liver and gallbladder cleansing, colon cleansing, coffee enemas, switching to organic food, spring water, getting a water filter so you don't absorb chlorine/chloramine when you bathe, eliminating food storage materials that contaminate the food, getting rid of your microwave, ridding your home of fabrics and materials that outgas chemicals, letting someone else pump your gas, using only the purest laundry soap....some cost nothing, others a small upfront expense (eg, 100% organic cotton bedding). The biggest expense for me was my juicer which was 100 bucks but it paid itself back many times over in savings over drinking bottled juices which really aren't good for you anyway.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
banned

a crack in the armour

Postby wintler » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:45 pm

the callous disregard of the chickenhawks for the health of the grunts is obvious to all, heres hoping more in the peace movement find common cause with sickening veterans and unite to stop current wars.<br><br>E.g. sit with a few vet's outside the nearest recruiting centre to explain their symptoms, lack of benefits, birth deformities etc. to the potential cannon fodder.<br><br>E.g. meet with vet's to develop an independent listing of sickness and morbidity, unit by unit, to see what the REAL toll is. Ask the soldiers, "you want to keep trusting the chickenhawks, or you wanna start trusting each other?" <p></p><i></i>
wintler

Lariam

Postby professorpan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:06 pm

Are troops still required to take mefloquine (Lariam)? <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Re: any links

Postby anotherdrew » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:18 am

Here is a recent news item of interest. It's a fairly long detailed article. I doubt bush and crew have done much about this new report but the VA may be able to act to some extent on it's own. and hopefully the bushnuts will be out soon.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6609">www.newscientist.com/arti...?id=dn6609</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>for more than a decade, the UK, US, Australian and Canadian governments have disputed this, claiming that their symptoms are hard to attribute and often psychological in origin.<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Leaked report</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Now the US authorities have changed their stance, prompted by recent American research which suggests there is a disease with a physical basis linked to chemical exposure in the Gulf.<br><br>The UK government still insists there is no link. But American researchers claim the studies the British are relying on were not designed in a way that would uncover the syndrome.<br><br>According to leaks of a report, which is due to be released next week by the US Department of Veterans Affairs’ Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans’ Illnesses, “a substantial proportion of Gulf war veterans are ill with multisystem conditions not explained by wartime stress or psychiatric illness”.<br><br>Some 30% of Gulf veterans suffer from various combinations of fatigue, muscle and joint pains, headache, and gut and cognitive problems – over and above non-Gulf veterans, the report says. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
anotherdrew

Return to Iraq