Veteran's Day

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Veteran's Day

Postby professorpan » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:46 am

O Lord our God, help us tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the pale forms of their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns with the shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain; help us to lay waste <br>their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the <br>hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to <br>turn them out roofless with their little children to wander unfriended the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, sports of the sun flames of summer and the icy winds of <br>winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring Thee for the <br>refuge of the grave and denied it.<br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>--Mark Twain, "The War Prayer"</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br><br>All this madness, all this rage, all this flaming death of our <br>civilization and our hopes, has been brought about because a set of official gentlemen, living luxurious lives, mostly stupid, and all <br>without imagination or heart, have chosen that it should occur rather than that any one of them should suffer some infinitesimal rebuff to his country's pride.<br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>--Bertrand Russell</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Veteran's Day

Postby dbeach » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:24 am

NOT one response from the forum.<br><br>PAN I disagree with some of your posts and know you feel the same about me.<br><br>Combat Vets know the likes of the bushes of this world ..spoiled lil rich kids who laff as we die for their next pot of gold..AS they slam our kids into thier illegal war and cut Vets bennies.<br><br>More Vets are waking up.<br><br>PEACE<br>THANX for postin ..folks should be thankful that they NEVER had to face combat NOT YET! <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Many powerful antiwar poems...

Postby banned » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:46 am

...came out of the The War to End All Wars, though this particular one is from The War After the War to End All Wars That Was Also Supposed To End All Wars. Unfortunately there will always be wars, but that we embarked upon the latest one due to rank filthy lies on the part of an administration that took office due to an illegal SCOTUS opinion and held it by election 'irregularities' even John "Skull & Bones" Kerry recognizes when he's safely off the record is, well, a war crime. If only George W. Bush had gone to Vietnam, and been blown to carpaccio minus the garnish!<br><br>Vale from Carthage<br><br>I, now at Carthage. He shot dead at Rome.<br>Shipmates last May. "And what if one of us,"<br>I asked last May, in fun, in gentleness,<br>"Wears doom, like dungarees, and doesn't know?"<br>He laughed, "Not see Times Square again?" The foam,<br>Feathering across that deck a year ago,<br>Swept those five words--like seeds--beyond the seas<br>Into his future. There they grew like trees;<br>And as he passed them there next spring, they laid<br>Upon his road of fire their sudden shade.<br>Though he had always scraped his mess-kit pure<br>And scrubbed redeemingly his barracks floor,<br>Though all his buttons glowed their ritual hymn<br>Like cloudless moons to intercede for him,<br>No furlough fluttered from the sky. He will<br>Not see Times Square--he will not see--he will<br>Not see Times<br>change; at Carthage (while my friend,<br>Living those words at Rome, screamed in the end)<br>I saw an ancient Roman's tomb and read<br>"Vale" in stone. Here two wars mix their dead:<br>Roman, my shipmate's dream walks hand in hand<br>With yours tonight ("New York again" and "Rome")<br>Like widowed sisters bearing water home<br>On tired heads through hot Tunisian sand<br>In good cool urns, and says, "I understand."<br>Roman, you'll see your Forum Square no more;<br>What's left but this to say of any war?<br><br> by Peter Vierek <p></p><i></i>
banned

Sorry, it's VIERECK.

Postby banned » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:47 am

Fingers got tired there. <p></p><i></i>
banned

No response?

Postby marykmusic » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:36 am

Hey, I was gone most of the day, then in band rehearsal...<br><br>Here's my entry for Veteran's Day: <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=141724&songID=955375" target="top">We've Decided to Have a War</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> --MaryK <p></p><i></i>
marykmusic

Re: No response?

Postby dbeach » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:40 pm

"We love to see the blood and gore."<br>BUT the USSC hated al gore <br>cuz he was a big bore<br>and georgie luved war<br>so its more and more<br><br>HI MARY K<br>Very nice<br> <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

been away

Postby somebody » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:28 pm

It's never to late to honor Veteran's Day. Sometimes I think I do it each day.<br>Here are 2 powerful videos (you've probably seen them) in my mind, in honor of all Veterans. I wish everyone was home.<br>Word's cannot express my heartfelt gratitude for tremendous courage shown by our 100's of thousands of honorable Veterans, over all these many, many years.<br><br>Thank you!<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://theunitedamerican.blogs.com/Movies/2000A/2000.html">theunitedamerican.blogs.c.../2000.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.djpauledge.com/wewillnotbesilenced/">www.djpauledge.com/wewillnotbesilenced/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
somebody

Re: been away

Postby marykmusic » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:37 pm

I, too, think about those who were willing to simply do what they said they would do, every day.<br><br>Here's another one (though I usually sing it on POW/MIA ceremonies): <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=141724&songID=971146" target="top">"When You Comin' Home, Daddy?"</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>Strong men weep when I play it; I had to practice it a WHOLE LOT to keep from it. Sometimes I still come close. --MaryK <p></p><i></i>
marykmusic

Return to Iraq