DC pols..Cindy Sheehan speak to 'Mom' whose son died in Iraq

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

DC pols..Cindy Sheehan speak to 'Mom' whose son died in Iraq

Postby dbeach » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:21 pm

I live in Westerly RI now..I met her before her son's death in Iraq....<br><br>"War is a racket .Always has been"<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.thewesterlysun.com/articles/2005/12/11/news/news3.txt">www.thewesterlysun.com/ar.../news3.txt</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>"NATIONAL FIGURES LEND A HAND TO 'LOCAL PEACE MOM'<br><br>By Ellyn Moran Santiago - The Sun Staff<br><br>WESTERLY - Sen. Ted Kennedy's message on Stephany Kern's voicemail had the ring of sincerity, she said. <br><br> <br> <br>"I'm so sorry to have to leave a message..." the Massachusetts senator told this grieving mother and Westerly resident. And he promised to keep calling her cell until he was able to reach her.<br><br>"All of the Kennedys and I are thinking of your extremely brave son..." Kennedy told Kern. It's a terrible, difficult, sad time. We're praying for you and your family and offering up masses for you. I will keep trying to get a hold of you."<br><br>Kern said that, of all the legislators and leaders that have called her since her son's death in the war, "he (Kennedy) made the most sense to me."<br><br>"It was human," said Kern, whose son, U.S. Marine Nickolas Schiavoni, was killed by a suicide bomb in Iraq over three weeks ago. "He gets it. Some others ... they don't."<br><br>Kennedy wasn't the only politician to contact Kern.<br><br> <br>Sen. John F. Kerry called Kern and left a voicemail message on her cell promising to try and reach her; he thought it impersonal to leave a message. They did eventually speak and Kerry asked to attend Schiavoni's funeral.<br><br><br>But it was the phone call from "peace mom" Cindy Sheehan that most moved Kern. Sheehan reached out to Kern to share her grief, she said. The message was at once moving and "so sad." But added that the "work she's doing is amazing."<br><br> <br> <br>"She sent me a lovely, heartfelt message," Kern said of Sheehan. "I want to call her back. I will soon, but I'm still in this, still trying to understand it all.<br><br>"What she's doing, it's amazing," Kern said of Sheehan, whose own son was killed in the war and who has taken a lead national role in the anti-war movement, beginning with her campaign outside President Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas.<br><br>Kern said she would gladly now serve as "the local peace mom" if necessary.<br><br>"I can see it," she says. "A global effort for peace makes sense. A global 'war on terror' doesn't. I want to carry that message.<br><br>"I'm just not sure of my exact mission quite yet," she says. "Maybe encourage students when they go on their Washington D.C. field trips to make Walter Reed Army Medical Center a stop on the tour ...""<br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: DC pols..Cindy Sheehan speak to 'Mom' whose son died in

Postby john darmy » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:05 pm

Thanks for posting that, dbeach. I'm glad there are SOME moms out there who are backing Cindy Sheehan. I just happened to catch a few minutes of Nightline the other day, I think it was Friday, and they had a group of moms on the show whose sons have died in Iraq. HARDLY ANY of them had anything good to say about Cindy Sheehan. Most of them criticized her, saying she doesn't speak for them, blah, blah, blah. It was disgusting and sickening to see these naive women continuing to back the useless and criminal war in Iraq, even after their sons died in vain, fighting for a cause that doesn't even exist. I wanted to throw up. <p></p><i></i>
john darmy

Re: DC pols..Cindy Sheehan speak to 'Mom' whose son died in

Postby dbeach » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:29 pm

JD <br>Those bush supporting Moms have been conditioned how to think, feel ,respond by this fascist system posing as a republic or democracy or whatevr it morphs itself into..The important thing for us is to keep reminding the sleepers of the fascist agenda to come..which if alllowed to happen will include WW III and worse...<br><br>This local Mom is not fooled by the bush rhetoric..<br><br>she was anti-war before the tragic death of her son<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.thewesterlysun.com/articles/2005/12/11/news/news2.txt">www.thewesterlysun.com/ar.../news2.txt</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>"WESTERLY - Purple Heart medalist Marine Lance Cpl. Nickolas D. Schiavoni, killed by a suicide bomber in Iraq more than three weeks ago, at once struggled with - and was committed to - fighting the war in Iraq, his mother says. <br><br> <br> <br>But his mother, Stephany Kern of Westerly - herself an opponent of the war - says her son was "depressed about all of it."<br><br>And so, too, apparently were members of his platoon: Schiavoni wrote his father that he and others in his unit were being prescribed antidepressants.<br><br>"We got word that the unit was all depressed, and Nicky was on Zoloft," Kern said. "He had post-traumatic stress the first time he came home."<br><br>A Pentagon spokeswoman told The Sun that privacy acts prohibit her from discussing what, if any, medications specific Marines are prescribed. But, she said, antidepressants, "a common prescription these days," are prescribed generally, and on follow-up, military health officials found that the medication has a "calming effect," and makes soldiers "more alert."<br><br>Staff Sgt. Christina Delai said that antidepressants are prescribed to Marines "case-by-case." She could not confirm if an entire unit was on the medication.<br><br><br>"He was confused, I think - inside - about the concept of war. We were very close. We talked," she said.<br><br>"I was always worried. When they sent him limping with that leg to Iraq, I would think, 'He's running, running from insurgents, limping... ' and he was always there at the worst times," she recalled.<br><br>But Kern is quick to add that, despite her son's trepidation and concern about the war that he was fighting, he fought nonetheless ... for freedom, he believed."<br><br>"I told the Marines that I was glad it was this time and not Vietnam, so soldiers could be honored," Kern said. "He served his country with honor."" <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Off topic for dbeach. I have an ancestor...

Postby banned » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:21 pm

.... from Westerly, RI about 8 generations back! His name was Eber Crandall and he was descended from a Baptist elder--who was also an ancestor of Lucille Ball, so she and I are like cousins 12 times removed.<br><br>Do you have a historical or genealogical society there? <p></p><i></i>
banned

Re: Off topic for dbeach. I have an ancestor...

Postby dbeach » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:28 pm

Me I was probably conceived here back in the late 40s <br> NO I am Mass native..bought home here in RI in 98 to be near my beloved ocean<br><br>Crandall ave is the address of St Clairs Catholic Church and is about a 2 minutes walk from the Atlantic ocean.<br> Crandall name is historical name in both CT and RI <br><br>Babcock is also big name around here<br><br><br>Crandall museum in CT <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Wow, thanks for the info!

Postby banned » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:41 pm

One of my ancestors married a Babcock.<br><br>The family originally landed in Newport RI, then Westerly. They did indeed move across Connecticut and my branch went into I believe Columbia County, and thence across New York state. Eventually my great grandmother's family ended up near Buffalo which is where she married my dad's grandpa. I think she was one of 10 or 12 kids, he was an only child. That must have been strange. <p></p><i></i>
banned

Re: Wow, thanks for the info!

Postby dbeach » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:35 am

wild stuff <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Return to Iraq