Salon obtains unreleased Abu Ghraib photos

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Salon obtains unreleased Abu Ghraib photos

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:03 pm

And of course, warning, contents are graphic and disturbing:<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/02/16/abu_ghraib/portfolio.html">Salon photo gallery</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br> <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Salon obtains unreleased Abu Ghraib photos

Postby Asta » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:06 pm

They become even more disturbing when one realizes that most of these people are innocent. <p></p><i></i>
Asta

Postby professorpan » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:25 pm

Also, this current batch of photos and videos does not include the worst material -- the video of children being raped. <br><br>If you think the rioting over cartoons was out of control, imagine if that material hit the press.<br><br>Nonetheless, this batch (only a tiny fraction which I've been able to find posted anywere) includes some very suggestive items (none of which seem to be currently available):<br><br>From the Salon article:<br><br>• 29 images of soldiers in simulated sexual acts<br><br>• 20 images of a soldier with a Swastika drawn between his eyes<br><br>• numerous photographs of slaughtered animals<br><br>All of which confirms my suspicions that the prison was a huge experiment in mind control, utilizing the proven technologies of sexual torture combined with ritualistic elements to create future assassins -- perpetuating the insurgency, and therefore justifying the permanent occupation of Iraq and hegemony in the Middle East. <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?sid=b9f41c4ade25f4d6">feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/...4ade25f4d6</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>(Thanks to seemslikeadream for the above link) <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Postby chiggerbit » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:13 pm

Abu is just one big mindfuck. The military should just post a banner across its gates saying, "And you thought Saddam was bad?" I wonder how many of these women who were detained, basically as hostages, because of suspicions that their husbands were involved in the resistance became victims of the system.<br><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=32147">www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=32147</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>".....Documents obtained the American Civil Liberties Union and the testimony of former detainees and a U.S. general suggest that most of the female detainees over the past two years were being held because of family ties to suspected insurgents. <br><br>Nancy Youssef of Knight-Ridder reported on Jan. 28 that a woman who had been detained at Baghdad International Airport in September 2004 said she found that all eight women in her cell had been detained only because their husbands or fathers were suspected of being in the insurgency. <br><br>A memo by a civilian intelligence officer who participated in a raid on the house of suspect near Baghdad in May 2004 recalled that units carrying out the operation were told that, if the wife of the suspect was present, she should be "detained and held in order to leverage the primary target's surrender". <br><br>Former Brig. Gen. Janis Karpinski, who was the military police commander at Abu Ghraib Prison when the abuse story broke, told the Associated Press that she knew of "perhaps 15 or 20 cases" of detention of wives of suspects in 2003, and that it was the practice for "higher value detainees".<br><br>As the Christian Science Monitor's Dan Murphy observed, Iraqis generally assume that U.S. prisons still abuse female detainees, regardless of changes that may have been made in U.S. policy on their treatment. <br><br>Iraqi memories of the abuses of women in Abu Ghraib remain an open wound. <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>A letter smuggled out of Abu Ghraib in December 2003 told of multiple rapes of prisoners and of several women who had become pregnant. </strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>The "Taguba report" on the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuses said photographs shot by U.S. guards at the prison included images of both male and female prisoners stripped naked, a male guard in a pose of having sex with a female detainee and naked male and female detainees forcibly arranged in various sexual positions." <br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Return to Iraq