Palast -- Mission was Indeed Accomplished

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Floor wax/dessert topping

Postby professorpan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:31 am

DE, <br><br>I agree completely -- maybe I wasn't clear enough.<br><br>Entertainment is crafted to hook and snare consumer eyeballs and wallets, and the psychological manipulation is a well-honed science. <br><br>But I don't believe "Curious George" as a intentionally programmed fascist training tool? I really don't think so. <br><br>Was the film conceived with a purpose in mind? For sure. To make as much money as possible.<br><br>I think any overt manipulation of content is likely to be found in movies like Black Hawk Down, as you suggested, and other blatantly anti-Muslim, pro-Long War, rally the Homeland flicks. <br><br>Creating productive consumer automatons is enough -- once you've got 'em on the treadmill, the rats will do anything to keep the sugar water flowing. <br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>And no matter what anyone says...the Lone Gunmen months before 9/11 episode about an airliner being hijacked by remote control and flown into the world trade center (well, ALMOST...our heroes save the day, natch.) well, maybe it's more Levenda weirdness than direct chain of command...<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>My vote is on synchronicity. And Louis Pasteur said "Chance favors the prepared mind." In this case, a parapolitically savvy writer dreamt up a plot that unfolded in real life. I do believe that profound events ripple backward in time as well as forward, as is seen in the many mind-bending historical synchronicities (the Titanic and the prophetic short story that preceded it being the most obvious example).<br><br>But I could be very wrong. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Blog: View Blog (0)

conspiracies vs. cabals

Postby rothbardian » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:43 am

professorpan--<br><br>I'm interested in your very non-conspiratorial views. I don't understand that position, but you seem to have a fair amount of 'gray matter' and so I have wondered why you (or anyone would) believe there could not be an organized syndicate whose operation has spanned over many years and which is scheming for world dominance.<br><br>I don't know if this subject matter would drag this thread off-topic but...if you have a link to some previous posting, I'd be interested to see an elaboration. Thanks. <p></p><i></i>
rothbardian

Re: conspiracies vs. cabals

Postby professorpan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:03 am

Roth,<br><br>I do believe in secretive, organized syndicates (plural), and anyone who doesn't believe in conspiracies isn't paying attention.<br><br>What I *don't* see much evidence for is one vast, overarching, global conspiracy with tentacles wrapped throughout media, education, corporate America, and so on down to local government and bulletin board infiltration agents. <br><br>I've studied this stuff for years, and there was a time when I believed in a massive, worldwide cabal (aka the Illuminati, PTB, or whatever). Experience and research has made me believe that scenario is highly unlikely. The interests, desires, and power structures of the elites shift and change. Intense secrecy and heirarchical power structures create friction, power-jockeying, and infighting. One group of elites would love nothing more than to seize power from their rivals. Human nature ensures that a "Yertle the Turtle" pyramid will inevitably collapse, and that every dictator creates a thousand rebels.<br><br>As we're seeing now with the Bush Cult, the elites are just as opportunistic as anyone else, and they'll turn on each other when they taste blood. Good people expose them (sometimes), and they are forced to retreat from their positions of power, or go to jail, or worse.<br><br>It's easy, once one adopts a conspiratorial mindset, to look for tendrils of the Octopus where none exist. I know; I've been there. And I am quite sure that the real power brokers are happy when people concede more power to them than they really have. They *want* people to be scared of them, and to fear their omnipotent, all-seeing eye. The Wizard behind the curtain is a very apt metaphor.<br><br>I'm not a skeptic of all conspiracies, by any means. I am quite convinced of the existence of elite secret societies, international narco-politics, backroom deals in corporate boardrooms, and war profiteers hatching plots. But I don't believe an all-encompassing Illuminati is engineering the Curious George movie. <br><br>There are enough terrible, tangible, and provable things to believe in and to fight against than to waste our time chasing shadows. If we concede that they are all-seeing, all-knowing, and control every organ of government and society, we're playing into their hands. Instead, if we focus our attention on smoking them out of their spider holes with the harsh light of truth, we might make some progress. <br><br>I hope that explains it. I frequently get tarred and feathered in this forum for not agreeing with those who see conspiracies everywhere. We all agree, in principle, that secrecy and power are a bad combination. We just differ on the scope and on specifics. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Postby sunny » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:04 am

Hey Hugh? I understand completely.<br><br>I was wiretapped in the '90's, very definitely. Very active in local and national Dem politics,(precint worker, volunteered for Bill Clinton-sorry) subscribed to all the "subversive" publications, and ordered conspiracy books and newsletters by mail- some had been opened. Some of that material, related particularly to Danny Casolaro, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>went missing from my house</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->. My children were quite young at the time, so I shut my mouth, read books in the library instead of taking them out, and cancelled "The Progressive Populist" among other things.<br><br>Now I just spout on the internet. No involvement, no problems from "them".<br><br>(why isn't there an emoticon wearing a little tin-foil hat?) <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby NewKid » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:08 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>And no matter what anyone says...the Lone Gunmen months before 9/11 episode about an airliner being hijacked by remote control and flown into the world trade center (well, ALMOST...our heroes save the day, natch.) well, maybe it's more Levenda weirdness than direct chain of command...<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>There's a Dean Hoaglund interview somewhere where he talks about this a little I think. <br><br>The x-files/lone gunmen writers are inundated with ideas for stories from national security types all the time. It's not hard to see how that could have happened without it being a coincidence. <p></p><i></i>
NewKid

Postby rothbardian » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:53 am

professorpan--<br><br>Thanks for the response. Let me be the last to 'tar and feather' anyone. You make some interesting statements. I'll have to chew on it for a while and see how it fits into my current worldview. Maybe I'll have more questions/thoughts if this thread is still around.<br><br>By the way, that "O.I.L." thing is very chilling. That's incredible. For Ari Fleischer and others to be able put on their 'happy' face for the American public and then behind our backs, engage in such brutally cynical, smirking disdain...that is a very disturbing 'Jekyll and Hyde' thing that seems to go well beyond normal dysfunction. <p></p><i></i>
rothbardian

Postby NewKid » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:23 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Our team got a hold of a copy; how, doesn't matter. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Care to post it on your website? <br><br><br>update: <br><br>here's a bit of it <br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.gregpalast.com/opeconthemarch.html" target="top">www.gregpalast.com/opeconthemarch.html</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>New plans, obtained from the State Department by Newsnight and Harper's Magazine under the US Freedom of Information Act, called for creation of a state-owned oil company favoured by the US oil industry.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/4354269.stm" target="top">news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/4354269.stm</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br><br>update II: He and Harpers have been talking about this for some time. This is a year old. <br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>In November 2003, McKee quietly ordered up a new plan for Iraq's oil. For months, the State Department officially denied the existence of this 323-page plan, but when I threatened legal action, I was able to obtain the multi-volume document describing seven possible models of oil production for Iraq, each one merely a different flavor of a single option: a state-owned oil company under which the state maintains official title to the reserves but operation and control are given to foreign oil companies. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br> <br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=418&row=1" target="top">www.gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=418&row=1</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=newkid@rigorousintuition>NewKid</A> at: 3/21/06 1:44 am<br></i>
NewKid

Re:Professor Pan+whether children's films are event driven

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:04 am

HTML Comments are not allowed <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=hughmanateewins>Hugh Manatee Wins</A> at: 3/21/06 5:27 am<br></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Re: Re:Professor Pan+whether children's films are event driv

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 am

HTML Comments are not allowed <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby professorpan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:46 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The x-files/lone gunmen writers are inundated with ideas for stories from national security types all the time. It's not hard to see how that could have happened without it being a coincidence. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>It's certainly possible. However, as we all are quite aware by now, the idea of flying a plane into the WTC was not something unimaginable before 9/11. After all, the WTC had already been bombed, so it was an obvious target.<br><br>Also, remember the rap album featuring cover art of the exploding towers? Synchronicity happens.<br><br>Not that your thesis isn't possible -- just that there are other interpretations. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Postby NewKid » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:42 pm

Oh sure. But I think what weirded people out was the remote control of the plane part. <p></p><i></i>
NewKid

Previous

Return to Iraq