Reports of Mossad, US assassinating Iraqi scientists ...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Reports of Mossad, US assassinating Iraqi scientists ...

Postby chiggerbit » Fri May 12, 2006 8:58 pm

...and professors. Rumors have been circulating for quite some time that Iraqi nuclear scientists have been targetted for assassination. I had seen allegations from early on in the US invasion of Iraq that Israelis were involved in the invasion, perhaps not unexpectedly, considering the regional dynamics. However, this article has some interesting figures. Anybody have any info that debunks or cooberates these allegations, either with regards to the US or with regards to the Mossad? Specifically, are these basic statistics for real, and if so, are they outside the norm for all Iraqi citizens? Not as interested in the hyperbole, from either side, mostly interested in the basic stats, to start with. Also, is Mossad getting a bad rap? Is the US getting a bad rap? Then, does this possibly have anything to do with the story of dead scientists all over the world?<br><br><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.aljazeera.com/me.asp?service_ID=11311">www.aljazeera.com/me.asp?...e_ID=11311</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>"...According to the report, which was referred to the U.S. president George W. Bush, Mossad agents had been operating in Iraq with the aim of liquidating Iraqi nuclear and biology scientists, among other scientists, and prominent university professors.<br> <br>That was after the U.S. failed to persuade those scientists to cooperate with or work for it...."<br> <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Blog: View Blog (0)

mossad and iraq

Postby jc » Fri May 12, 2006 9:43 pm

seen this?<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.unknownnews.org/050924d-921PhilH.html">www.unknownnews.org/05092...PhilH.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
jc

Re: mossad and iraq

Postby chiggerbit » Fri May 12, 2006 10:24 pm

No, I hadn't. Is this a credible source? I've only been following this intermittently, so may have missed much. It has occurred to me that this Bush administration may have had reason to "obscure" the information, shall we say, of the Iraqi professionals, so was interested. <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

mossad, unknownnews

Postby jc » Fri May 12, 2006 10:49 pm

c, <br><br>Whether UKN are credible i don't know, they source an egyptian paper (name?). anyway, i first saw it at info clearing house. it's still there in archives, but linked to the paper, where the org article's gone.<br><br>as for the mossad being in iraq, i'd go for def yes. it's their job.<br><br>what they're doing there? their job, whatever that is. <p></p><i></i>
jc

john pilger, salvador option, brussels tribunal

Postby jc » Fri May 12, 2006 10:58 pm

there's also these two links:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.newstatesman.com/200605080016">www.newstatesman.com/200605080016</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>John Pilger detects the Salvador Option <br> Columnists<br> John Pilger<br> Monday 8th May 2006 <br>The American public is being prepared. If the attack on Iran does come, there will be no warning, no declaration of war, no truth, writes John Pilger <br>The lifts in the New York Hilton played CNN on a small screen you could not avoid watching. Iraq was top of the news; pronouncements about a "civil war" and "sectarian violence" were repeated incessantly. It was as if the US invasion had never happened and the killing of tens of thousands of civilians by the Americans was a surreal fiction. The Iraqis were mindless Arabs, haunted by religion, ethnic strife and the need to blow themselves up. Unctuous puppet politicians were paraded with no hint that their exercise yard was inside an American fortress. <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.brusselstribunal.org/BritishBombers.htm">www.brusselstribunal.org/...ombers.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
jc

Re: Reports of Mossad, US assassinating Iraqi scientists ...

Postby Sepka » Sat May 13, 2006 12:28 am

I'd frankly be astonished if we weren't quietly co-opting or killing their physicists and biologists. We've sacrificed thousands of lives (and the loss is ongoing) to be sure that Iraq doesn't have nuclear or biological weapons. Taking the proper measures now to assure that Iraq will not possess the means for waging war in the foreseeable future helps to ensure peace for the next generation.<br><br>-Sepka the Space Weasel <p></p><i></i>
Sepka

Postby chiggerbit » Sat May 13, 2006 12:36 am

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"...Taking the proper measures now to assure that Iraq will not possess the means for waging war in the foreseeable</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> future helps to ensure peace for the next generation."<br><br><br><br>That depends on whose "next generation" you are talking about, because I doubt that that includes America's next generation, which has generated enough hostility all over the world to last into the next century, if we work it right. So, whose are you talking about, Sepka? <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Postby Sepka » Sat May 13, 2006 2:02 am

America and the world at large, actually. So far as hostility, it was there before we lifted a finger to defend ourselves. Hostility towards civilization is in the basic nature of Islamist extremism, and something over which we have no control. What we <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>can</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> control is their physical ability to wage war. That, I'm sure, is what's happening here, or at the very least what should be happening.<br><br>-Sepka the Space Weasel <p></p><i></i>
Sepka

Re: john pilger, salvador option, brussels tribunal

Postby StarmanSkye » Sat May 13, 2006 4:02 am

EXCELLANT BRussels Tribunal link, JC;<br>Chiggerbit: More details on the Salvador Option below, several suspicious false-flag bombings I hadn't seen before, and the Tribunal's evidence implicating extra-state agents targetting Iraq's professionals and academics -- writers, teachers, scientists, etc. <br>________<br><br>Way to GO, Sepka! How refreshing to hear a foreign policy opinion that doesn't depend on facts or historical knowledge --Hate speech and rascist, religious bigotry are just so much more forceful, convincing and sharp when they are kept simple and unenumbered by pesky details like reality -- an argument relying on truthful statements just gets bogged down with petty distractions and annoyances anyway. I have rarely heard anyone make such a cleverly-argued case for why any potential Iraqi resistance of the US's total imperialist domination must be thoroughly and completely eliminated. As nits breed lice, so Doctors and teachers and scientists can't be allowed to interfere with the Just War -- why, they might actually encourage Iraqis to think they are civilized and our equals or actually deserve rights. Imagine!!!!<br><br><br>Thanks for sharing your wisdom.<br>Starman<br>******<br>The Salvador Option Exposed: <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.brusselstribunal.org/BritishBombers.htm">www.brusselstribunal.org/...ombers.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>(Collection of news stories re: false-flag terrorism, suicide bombings, etc.)<br> www.uruknet.info?p=15949 <br>FLASHBACK: Sick strategies for senseless slaughter<br>John Kaminski<br>--quote--<br>If this were the only example of this type I heard, I might have let it pass as just a story. But it wasn’t.<br><br>There was also the sorry tale of the Iraqi man who saw American soldiers plant a bomb which shortly thereafter exploded, and when he said so out loud for all to hear, he was hauled away, never to be seen again.<br><br>This story was reported on arguably the most authentic and riveting source of news from Iraq, the heart-rending "Baghdad Burning: Girl Blog from Iraq," which is compiled by someone known only as Riverbend or Iraqi Girl < <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/">riverbendblog.blogspot.com/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> >. Again, recommended reading.<br><br>She recounts, "the last two weeks have been violent ....<br><br>The number of explosions in Baghdad alone is frightening. There have also been several assassinations — bodies being found here and there. It's somewhat disturbing to know that corpses are turning up in the most unexpected places. Many people will tell you it's not wise to eat river fish anymore because they have been nourished on the human remains being dumped into the river. That thought alone has given me more than one sleepless night. It is almost as if Baghdad has turned into a giant graveyard.<br><br>The latest corpses were those of some Sunni and Shia clerics — several of them well-known. People are being patient and there is a general consensus that these killings are being done to provoke civil war. Also worrisome is the fact that we are hearing of people being rounded up by security forces (Iraqi) and then being found dead days later — apparently when the new Iraqi government recently decided to reinstate the death penalty, they had something else in mind.<br><br>But back to the explosions. One of the larger blasts was in an area called Ma'moun, which is a middle class area located in west Baghdad. It’s a relatively calm residential area with shops that provide the basics and a bit more. It happened in the morning, as the shops were opening up for their daily business and it occurred right in front of a butcher’s shop. Immediately after, we heard that a man living in a house in front of the blast site was hauled off by the Americans because it was said that after the bomb went off, he sniped an Iraqi National Guardsman.<br><br>I didn’t think much about the story — nothing about it stood out: an explosion and a sniper — hardly an anomaly. The interesting news started circulating a couple of days later. People from the area claim that the man was taken away not because he shot anyone, but because he knew too much about the bomb. Rumor has it that he saw an American patrol passing through the area and pausing at the bomb site minutes before the explosion. Soon after they drove away, the bomb went off and chaos ensued. He ran out of his house screaming to the neighbors and bystanders that the Americans had either planted the bomb or seen the bomb and done nothing about it. He was promptly taken away.<br><br>The bombs are mysterious. Some of them explode in the midst of National Guard and near American troops or Iraqi Police and others explode near mosques, churches, and shops or in the middle of sougs. One thing that surprises us about the news reports of these bombs is that they are inevitably linked to suicide bombers. The reality is that some of these bombs are not suicide bombs — they are car bombs that are either being remotely detonated or maybe time bombs. All we know is that the techniques differ and apparently so do the intentions. Some will tell you they are resistance. Some say Chalabi and his thugs are responsible for a number of them. Others blame Iran and the SCIRI militia Badir.<br><br>In any case, they are terrifying. If you're close enough, the first sound is a that of an earsplitting blast and the sounds that follow are of a rain of glass, shrapnel and other sharp things. Then the wails begin — the shrill mechanical wails of an occasional ambulance combined with the wail of car alarms from neighboring vehicles… and finally the wail of people trying to sort out their dead and dying from the debris. <br><br>Then there was this one.<br><br>On May 13, 2005, a 64 years old Iraqi farmer, Haj Haidar Abu Sijjad, took his tomato load in his pickup truck from Hilla to Baghdad, accompanied by Ali, his 11 years old grandson. They were stopped at an American check point and were asked to dismount. An American soldier climbed on the back of the pickup truck, followed by another a few minutes later, and thoroughly inspected the tomato filled plastic containers for about 10 minutes. Haj Haidar and his grandson were then allowed to proceed to Baghdad.<br><br>A minute later, his grandson told him that he saw one of the American soldiers putting a grey melon size object in the back among the tomato containers. The Haj immediately slammed on the brakes and stopped the car at the side of the road, at a relatively far distance from the check point. He found a time bomb with the clock ticking tucked among his tomatoes. He immediately recognized it, as he was an ex-army soldier. Panicking, he grabbed his grandson and ran away from the car. Then, realizing that the car was his only means of work, he went back, took the bomb and carried it in fear. He threw it in a deep ditch by the side of the road that was dug by Iraqi soldiers in preparation for the war, two years ago.<br><br>Upon returning from Baghdad, he found out that the bomb had indeed exploded, killing three sheep and injuring their shepherd in his head. He thanked God for giving him the courage to go back and remove the bomb, and for the luck in that the American soldiers did not notice his sudden stop at a distance and his getting rid of the bomb.<br><br>"They intended it to explode in Baghdad and claim that it is the work of the 'terrorists', or 'insurgents' or who call themselves the 'Resistance'.<br><br>I decided to expose them and asked your reporter to take me to Baghdad to tell you the story. They are to be exposed as they now want to sow strife in Iraq and taint the Resistance after failing to defeat it militarily.<br>Do not forget to mention my name. I fear nobody but God, as I am a follower of Muqtada al-Sadir."<br><br>The background and admission of guilt for such satanic shenanigans was clearly outlined in Frank Morales' piece on globalresearch.ca: "The Provocateur State: Is the CIA Behind the Iraqi 'Insurgents' — and Global Terrorism," by Frank Morales < <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://globalresearch.ca/articles/MOR505A.htm">globalresearch.ca/articles/MOR505A.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> l> clearly demonstrates how Donald Rumsfeld said he was going to do exactly what these three sorry episodes show he actually did.<br><br>Morales writes:<br><br>Back in 2002, following the trauma of 9-11, Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld predicted there would be more terrorist attacks against the American people and civilization at large. How could he be so sure of that? Perhaps because these attacks would be instigated on the order of the Honorable Mr. Rumsfeld. According to Los Angeles Times military analyst William Arkin, writing Oct. 27, 2002, Rumsfeld set out to create a secret army, "a super-Intelligence Support Activity" network that would "bring together CIA and military covert action, information warfare, intelligence, and cover and deception," to stir the pot of spiraling global violence.<br><br>We never got the full story on those ghastly beheadings of Nick Berg and others. Nor have we ever understood who killed the American mercenaries in Fallujah that eventually precipitated one of the great slaughters in history. Nor have we ever been able to discern if Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is actually a real person or just another bin Ladenesque boogeyman. Nor if the al-Qaeda website which claims responsibility for various atrocities is not really run by the CIA.<br><br>Provoking this type of violence also further conceals the sinister genocide the Israelis continue to perpetrate on the hapless Palestinians, which is exactly its point, as is the entire Iraq invasion and destruction, and as was the inside job mass murder on 9/11 in New York City. The purpose of all these despicable acts is to conceal what the Israelis and the Americans have been doing all along to the entire Arab world, namely enslaving and destroying it.<br>******<br>(The BRussels Tribunal, working closely with the Bertrand Russel Peace Foundation, is an OUTSTANDING association of Academics, authors, journalists, artists and Peace Activists working with Iraqi nationals, meeting in major cities around the world, to address and publicize critical issues in Iraq today in an effort to forge common alliances and strive towards peaceful alternatives to the conflict, atrocities and war crimes.)<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=22885&s2=27">www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=22885&s2=27</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>International Seminar in Madrid 22-23 April 2006<br>About the assassination of Iraqi academics.<br>Dirk Adriaensens, BRussells Tribunal<br>About the Academics campaign<br>--quote--<br>The pattern of academics assassinated appears to substantiate claims that a campaign exists and is being conducted to erase a key section of the secular middle class in Iraq — a class that has largely resisted the US occupation of Iraq and refused to be co-opted by the so-called “political process” or Iraq’s US-installed puppet government. Academics are not the only ones being killed: 311 teachers killed the past 4 months, 182 pilots, 416 senior military officers killed in the first 3 months of 2006. 20.000 people kidnapped since the beginning of 2006. <br><br>It were the Iraqi intellectuals who asked us to start a campaign to create awareness for this problem.<br><br>When we started, it was clear we had to avoid some traps and pitfalls. I’ll sum up a few of the most important.<br>-- we had to avoid complicity in any way with the occupying forces and its puppet government. We don’t want to humanize this dreadful occupation. That’s why we appeal to international human rights organisations and the UNHCHR to investigate this matter, and not to the Iraqi puppet government and the occupying forces, who are the perpetrators of these crimes.<br><br>We had to make sure to work with many different Iraqi anti-occupation organisations and individuals, in order to be as inclusive as possible.<br><br>We had to avoid putting this issue in the context of a sectarian strife between Sunni’s and Shia. I will develop this point later.<br><br>We had to avoid to look at this issue as being a sort of revenge against academics of the previous government. The so-called Debaathification was the first step in the destruction of Iraq’s educational system. It was used by the US to divide and destroy Iraq. Most of these so-called “revenge killings” that took place after the war can be attributed to the occupying forces and collaborators.<br><br>We had to counter the claims of the Iraqi puppet government, the US occupiers, and the recently started campaign to safeguard the Iraqi academics, backed by both the government of Iraq and UNESCO, that criminal gangs are committing these assassinations.<br><br>Also, we had to mention the possible role of the Mossad in these assassinations, even though we have no hard evidence to substantiate the many assertions that Israel in involved.<br><br>We have to carry out this campaign in the most effective and prudent way, in order not to put the Iraqi academics even in a more dangerous situation. This requires close contacts on the ground and a lot of consultation. We distributed questionnaires from UNHCHR to the families of the victims. Not one has returned until now. The reason that is being given is that the families are too afraid to openly accuse the perpetrators. They are even too afraid to ask the police for details about the crime.<br><br>We drafted our petition very carefully, in cooperation with the Iraqis of the BRussells Tribunal network. The result is that besides over 8.000 academics worldwide, all the different patriotic currents and Iraqi anti-occupation movements have signed our petition. It was the first time something like this happened. So ours is a unifying rather than a divisive action.<br><br>Death Squads and the Salvador option<br><br>I would like to look into one major point of concern connected to this issue, and that is the so-called sectarian issue: some commentators claim that the assassination campaign of academics is part of a so-called civil war between Sunni and Shia. That’s it’s the ignorant Islamist Shia who receives direct orders from Iran to kill intellectual Sunni’s, and that it is unfortunately beyond the control of the US now. And thus the occupying forces should remain in Iraq to restore law and order. Mainstream media are raising this smokescreen to hide the truth from getting out. <br><br>Another smokescreen is the claim that most of the assassinations are carried out by criminal gangs, who first kidnap their victims, and then a ransom is paid. And after that either they are assassinated, and if not, they flee the country.<br><br>I want to put this campaign in the context where it ought to be.<br><br>What we are witnessing is the result of a carefully planned US campaign to liquidate every Iraqi who opposes the occupation of his country, the so-called “Salvador option”. In fact, since 1945 the U.S. developed counterinsurgency policies based on the model of Nazi suppression of partisan insurgents that emphasized placing the civilian population under strict control and using terror to make the population afraid to support or collaborate with insurgents.<br><br>On January 1 2004, Robert Dreyfuss stated that: “part of a secret $3 billion in new funds—tucked away in the $87 billion Iraq appropriation that Congress approved in early November 2003 — will go toward the creation of a paramilitary unit manned by militiamen associated with former Iraqi exile groups. Experts say it could lead to a wave of extrajudicial killings, not only of armed rebels but of nationalists, other opponents of the U.S. occupation and thousands of civilian Baathists—up to 120,000 of the estimated 2.5 million former Baath Party members in Iraq. “They’re clearly cooking up joint teams to do Phoenix-like things, like they did in Vietnam,” said Vincent Cannistraro, former CIA chief of counter terrorism. The bulk of the covert money will support U.S. efforts to create a lethal, and revenge-minded, Iraqi security force. “The big money would be for standing up an Iraqi secret police to liquidate the resistance,” said John Pike, an expert on classified military budgets at www.globalsecurity.org. “And it has to be politically loyal to the United States.” It’s also pouring money into the creation of an Iraqi secret police staffed mainly by gunmen associated with members of the puppet Iraqi Governing Council. Those militiamen are linked to Ahmad Chalabi’s Iraqi National Congress (inc), the Kurdish peshmerga (“facing death”) forces and Shiite paramilitary units, especially those of the Iran-backed Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq. Technically illegal, these armed forces have been tolerated, even encouraged, by the Pentagon.” End of quote. <br><br>This was written on the 1st of January 2004. Soon after this blood-money was drained to Iraq, the consequences of this secret operation became clear. According to an article published in New York Times Magazine, in September 2004, Counsellor to the US Ambassador for Iraqi Security Forces James Steele was assigned to work with a new elite Iraqi counter-insurgency unit known as the Special Police Commandos, formed under the operational control of Iraq’s Interior Ministry. <br><br>Many of the same men in charge of training El Salvador's right-wing counter-insurgency forces during its bloody civil war are revealed to be advisors to Iraqi security forces.<br><br>Max Fuller, a specialist in Latin-America, has investigated this matter thoroughly. He writes: “From 1984 to 1986 then Col. Steele had led the US Military Advisory Group in El Salvador, where he was responsible for developing special operating forces at brigade level during the height of the conflict. These forces, composed of the most brutal soldiers available, replicated the kind of small-unit operations with which Steele was familiar from his service in Vietnam. Rather than focusing on seizing terrain, their role was to attack ‘insurgent’ leadership, their supporters, sources of supply and base camps. In military circles it was the use of such tactics that made the difference in ultimately defeating the guerrillas; for others, such as the Catholic priest Daniel Santiago, the presence of people like Steele contributed to another sort of difference:<br><br>“People are not just killed by death squads in El Salvador – they are decapitated and then their heads are placed on pikes and used to dot the landscape. Men are not just disemboweled by the Salvadoran Treasury Police; their severed genitalia are stuffed into their mouths. Salvadoran women are not just raped by the National Guard; their wombs are cut from their bodies and used to cover their faces. It is not enough to kill children; they are dragged over barbed wire until the flesh falls from their bones, while parents are forced to watch. (Cited by Chomsky)”. The responsible person for these atrocities was John Negroponte, then Ambassador to Honduras from 1981-1985, appointed as US Ambassador in Baghdad.<br><br>Iraq's interior minister Bayan Jabr, has admitted death squads and other unauthorised armed groups have been carrying out sectarian killings in the country. In a BBC interview on April 11 2006, he denied these groups were his responsibility. He added that there are non-governmental armed groups called the Facility Protection Service, set up in 2003 by the U.S. occupation, that number 150,000 effectives. These 150,000 hired guns are "out of order, not under our control," along with another 30,000 private security guards, Jabr said. <br><br>But the prime minister, Ibrahim Jaafari, described the Badr organisation last summer as a "shield" defending Iraq, while the president, Jalal Talabani, claimed the Badr organisation and the peshmerga were patriots who "are important to fulfilling this sacred task, establishing a democratic, federal and independent Iraq". <br><br>John Pace, the outgoing head of the UN human rights office in Iraq, told the March 2 British Guardian that many killings were carried out by Shia militias linked to the interior ministry run by Bayan Jabr, a leading figure in the Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI)". SCIRI is the main party in the coalition of Shiite religious parties that heads the US-backed Iraqi government. "The Badr brigade [SCIRI’s militia] are in the police and are mainly the ones doing the killing", said Pace. "They’re the most notorious."<br><br>However, I tend to believe Bayan Jabr. I think he knows very well what’s going on, but I believe him when he says these groups are not his responsibility, because I think that these militia’s, who were created, financed, armed and trained by the occupying forces, are under the direct control of the US.<br><br>Steven Casteel works as a senior vice-president of Vance, a security company. “Just prior to joining Vance, Mr. Casteel was selected by the White House to be Senior Advisor to Iraq's Ministry of Interior under the Coalition Provisional Authority and later the Department of State. In that capacity he advised former Ambassadors Bremer and Negroponte on non-military security matters, set policy, and led the creation and operations of the Ministry's critical services. Services included the new Iraqi Police, Border Police, Immigration, Customs Service, Civil Defense and Fire Programs. Responsibilities included recruitment, training, equipping, and deployment of services and personnel “ (<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.vanceglobal.com/whoweare/leadership/casteel/).">www.vanceglobal.com/whowe...casteel/).</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> So he was involved in overseeing the training and creating of Iraqi police forces.<br><br>As a former top DEA man, he was involved in the hunt for Colombia’s notorious cocaine baron Pablo Escobar, during which the DEA collaborated with a paramilitary organization known as Los Pepes, which later transformed itself into the AUC, an umbrella organization covering all of Colombia’s paramilitary death squads.<br><br>Like Colombia’s death squads, Iraq’s Police Commandos deliberately cultivate a frightening paramilitary image. During raids they openly intimidate and brutalize suspects, even in the presence of foreign journalists. Significantly, many of the Commandos, including their leader, are Sunni Muslims. <br><br>Many of the highest-ranking officers in the Wolf brigade f.i. are Sunnis and, when asked about other minorities, Abul Waleed, a 41-year-old three-star general from the old regime, mentions Kurds and even a Yazidi, as members of these brigades. General Adnan Thabit, a Sunni and general under Saddam Hussein, is the leader of Iraq's Special Police Commandos.<br><br>Of course some of the sections of these militia’s may follow an Iranian agenda, or a sectarian agenda, but if you look at the composition and actions of these death squads, they should certainly not be called “Shiite death squads”, but “anti-resistance death squads”.<br><br>Putting the primary blame for these killing on criminal gangs or on Iran, is serving the US interests in the region. Continuously linking “Shiite” to “death squads” also serves the US agenda by fuelling sectarian strife and so contributing to the deliberate disintegration of the country. <br><br>Many of the murdered academics are Shia, and what most of those killed academics have in common, is their opposition to the US occupation of Iraq. <br><br>Patrick Lang, former chief of Middle East analysis for the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency says: “What those of us in El Salvador learned was that American policy might call for surgical action, but once the local troops are involved, they’re as likely to use a chain-saw as a scalpel. And that, too, can serve American ends. In almost any counter-insurgency, the basic message the government or the occupiers tries to get across to the population is brutally simple: “We can protect you from the guerrillas, but the guerrillas can’t protect you from us, and you’ve got to choose sides.” Sometimes you can win the population’s hearts and minds; sometimes you just have to make them more frightened of you than they are of the insurgents.” And for this aim they use the Wolf Brigade, the Scorpions Brigade, the Lions Brigade, the Peshmerga’s and the “security forces” of the Ministry of Interior.<br><br>We receive many eye-witness reports from inside Iraq. They are published on the BRussells Tribunal website.<br><br>One report describes a case where people are arrested by the Badr Brigade, with the help of US forces and brought to secret prisons under the control of the Badr brigades.<br><br>Another report describes how in the aftermath of the bombing of the Askariyah shrine in Samarra, the village of Al Fursan, south of Baghdad, is ethnically cleaned by black-clad militias and police commandos while American tanks are standing by, watch what happens and don’t interfere while people are being slaughtered, houses being burned.<br><br>The latest report dates from 17 of April. Men in police uniforms attacked the Al-Adhamiya neighbourhood in Baghdad. The Ministry of Interior claimed the uniformed men didn’t belong to the puppet forces, but local residents are quite sure they were special forces from the Ministry of Interior, probably Badr brigades. The neighbourhood was sealed off and electricity was cut off.<br>When the uniformed forces entered the neighbourhood, the National Guards that are usually patrolling the streets left. Young armed men from the neighbourhood fought side by side with mujahedin against the attacking forces to protect Al-Adhamiya. Several residents have been killed in the streets. US troops also entered the neighbourhood. At first, they only stood by and watched; later on they, too, fired at the locals, who tried to repel the attacks. These reports show that there is at least complicity of the US forces in the actions of the militia’s.<br><br>These examples show that there is at least complicity of the US forces in the actions of the militia’s.<br><br>To conclude I would like to denounce the total lack of interest in human lives by the occupying forces and the Western mainstream press. There is obviously a lot of racism involved in the way this occupation is handled by the MNF-I and covered by the media. Some of the academics assassinated were among the finest scientists not only in the Middle East, but worldwide. Nevertheless, none of these murders have been investigated, and very few commemorations appeared in the Western press when these famous academics were killed. And that is another crime.<br><br>Dirk Adriaensens, Member BRussells Tribunal Executive Committee<br>Thanks to Robert Dreyfuss (“Phoenix Rising”, <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://brusselstribunal.org/ArticlesOnIraq.htm#Phoenix)">brusselstribunal.org/Arti...m#Phoenix)</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> and Max Fuller (a.o. “For Iraq, "The Salvador Option" Becomes Reality”, <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://globalresearch.ca/articles/FUL506A.html">globalresearch.ca/articles/FUL506A.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> ) whose articles are extensively quoted<br>A comprehensive dossier about death squads can be found as a PDF file: <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://brusselstribunal.org/pdf/DeathSquads.pdf.">brusselstribunal.org/pdf/...quads.pdf.</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br>* Additional sources (taken from: Death Squads in Iraq: A timeline) www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/3/23/202410/772 <br><br>January 14, 2005: Newsweek breaks the "Salvador Option' story. (Newsweek)<br><br>January 25, 2005: Human Rights Watch releases a damning report alleging torture and mistreatment of detainees by the new Iraqi government. (Human Rights Watch)<br><br>April 28, 2005: The new Iraqi government is approved. The Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution wins control of the Interior Ministry. The new minister is Bayan Jabr. (Juan Cole)(PBS)<br><br>May 1, 2005: Many of the same men in charge of training El Salvador's right-wing counter-insurgency forces during its bloody civil war are revealed to be advisors to Iraqi security forces. (NYT Magazine)<br><br>May 16, 2005 55 dead bodies are discovered in Iraq. (CNN)<br><br>May 22, 2005: An elite group of commandos known as the Wolf Brigade is profiled by Knight Ridder. The group is notorious for its brutal treatment of detainees.(Knight Ridder)<br><br>June 12, 2005: 20 bodies are found around Baghdad. Many of them show signs of torture. (CNN)<br><br>June 28, 2005: Numerous Sunni males turn up dead after being detained by men wearing police uniforms. (Knight Ridder)<br><br>July 7, 2005: Horrifying descriptions of torture by Iraqi security forces emerge. (The Observer)<br><br>September 8, 2005: The U.N. expresses concern over abuses by pro-government forces in Iraq. (Reuters)<br><br>September 16, 2005: CBS reports on the torture and execution of numerous Sunnis. (CBS News)<br><br>October 7, 2005: At least 537 bodies have been found since April, many of them Sunnis. (Associated Press)<br><br>October 12, 2005: Sectarian hatred extends itself into the Iraqi military. (Knight Ridder)<br><br>November 15, 2005: U.S. Forces discover a secret torture center run by Iraq's Interior Ministry. (Washington Post)<br><br>November 27, 2005: Former Iraqi Prime Minister Ayad Allawi claims that the human rights situation in Iraq is just as bad, if not worse, than it was under Saddam. (CNN)<br><br>November 28, 2005: Abuse of prisoners in Iraq is called routine. (Knight Ridder)<br><br>Interior Minister Bayan Jabr defends the alleged torture camp. (CNN)<br><br>November 29, 2005: The NY Times and LA Times both run stories about allegations of Shiites running death squads that target Sunnis. (Los Angeles Times)(New York Times)<br><br>December 11, 2005: Torture is discovered at a second Interior Ministry run prison in Iraq. (Washington Post)<br><br>December 27, 2006: US refuses to handover jails and prisons to Iraqis until conditions improve(Times Online)<br><br>January 22, 2006: Iraqis attempt to find officials without ties to militias. USA Today<br><br>January 25, 2006: Sunni leaders urge followers to defend against deadly house raids. (Knight Ridder)<br><br>February 5, 2006: 14 blindfolded tortured bodies found in Baghdad, called common occurrence. (Washington Post)<br><br>February 16, 2006: Iraq's government launches investigation into death squad claims after US general catches Iraqi policemen about to execute a Sunni. (BBC News)<br><br>February 22, 2006 Powerful blast destroys Golden Mosque in Samarra. Shiites swear revenge. (New York Times)<br><br>February 23, 2006: 47 predominantly Sunni workers are stopped at a checkpoint and massacred outside Baghdad. (Knight Ridder)<br><br>February 26, 2006: Andrew Buncombe and Patrick Cockburn report that hundreds of Iraqis are being tortured to death every month by Interior Ministry death squads. (The Independent)<br><br>February 28, 2006: Violence since mosque explosion kills more than 1,300 Iraqis. (Washington Post)<br><br>March 2, 2006: Director of the Baghdad morgue claims that up to 7,000 people have been killed by death squads in the past several months. (The Guardian)<br><br>March 8, 2006: the State Department criticizes the Iraqi government's human rights violations in its annual report. (State Department)<br><br>Gunmen dressed up as Interior Ministry commandos raid a private security company and abduct 50 people. A US Military patrol comes across a bus with the bodies of 18 men piled up inside. (Washington Post)<br><br>March 12, 2006: Iraqi officials admit to the existence of death squads operating from inside the government. (Knight Ridder)<br><br>March 14, 2006: Iraqi authorities find 80 dead bodies over the course of two days.(BBC News)<br><br>March 20, 2006: The US continues to arm and train the same Iraqi security forces accused of having a sectarian bent and committing numerous massacres. (Time)<br><br>March 22, 2006: The U.N. demands that the Iraqi government reign in their abusive security forces. (UN News Centre)<br> <p></p><i></i>
StarmanSkye

Postby Sepka » Sat May 13, 2006 4:25 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Thanks for sharing your wisdom.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>You're quite welcome, Starman. Perhaps you'll share your own wisdom with me - tell me, how would <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>you</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> recommend dealing with people whose fundamental goal (no pun intended) seems to be death and destruction for its own sake? How do you reason with people who wish to kill anyone who does not follow their religion? Scorn and sarcasm are all well and good, but it would be refreshing to hear some constructive alternatives proposed.<br><br>-Sepka the Space Weasel <p></p><i></i>
Sepka

islamists(?)

Postby jc » Sat May 13, 2006 4:45 am

Sepka,<br><br>had to ask. <br><br>"I'd frankly be astonished if we weren't quietly co-opting or killing their physicists and biologists. We've sacrificed thousands of lives (and the loss is ongoing) to be sure that Iraq doesn't have nuclear or biological weapons."<br><br>That's why we're there? Really? Bush and Cheney are telling the truth? <br><br>"Taking the proper measures now to assure that Iraq will not possess the means for waging war in the foreseeable future helps to ensure peace for the next generation."<br><br>The proper measure being? Killing some and subjecting the rest to serfdom in camps? Killing everyone?<br><br>"America and the world at large, actually. So far as hostility, it was there before we lifted a finger to defend ourselves."<br><br>Really, the rest is innocent of all aggresion, meddling, death and destruction? They're getting killed because and it's they're fault?<br><br>"Hostility towards civilization is in the basic nature of Islamist extremism, and something over which we have no control."<br><br>The same way "we" have no control over the extremists we built and funded and set loose upon the world so we could go about killing the populations among whom we set them loose?<br><br>"What we can control is their physical ability to wage war. That, I'm sure, is what's happening here, or at the very least what should be happening."<br><br>Who? The islamists or every muslim alive? And who are we? You and your goomba's at the WH, Langley and the Pentagon? <p></p><i></i>
jc

Postby havanagilla » Sat May 13, 2006 4:47 am

Sepka, the iRaqi people are not different from you and I. They don't have any such goal as you mention, more than any other group, national, religious or otherwise. <br>Without resorting to "i know some iraqis" (the equivalent of some of my best friends are jews) - but really, Iraq has never been a very religious nation, in fact Saddam and most other nationalist regimes here are the secular, socialist alternative to moslem fundamentalism or moslem despotic tribal regimes (as in s.arabia, UAE, kwait etc.). You are not reading the map correctly. One of the most interesting communist movements grew out of Iraq in the mid last centuray, with very prolific intellectuals and humanists, but the ptb's, from your corner and other imperialist powers, made sure nothing good comes out of that region. oil uber alles.<br>---<br>While I really don't have an opinion about the scientist in question here (in general regardless of nationality, i don't like microbiologists whose expertise is death production rather than finding medices as they should), your generalizations re the Arabs are misguided. <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Postby Sepka » Sat May 13, 2006 6:40 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Sepka, the iRaqi people are not different from you and I.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>I don't doubt that for a second, any more than I doubt that most of the Germans who lived under the Hitler regime were perfectly nice people. Under different circumstances I'm sure we could all be the best of friends. We don't live under those different circumstances, though. We have the world that we built, and we have to conform our actions to that world, and not to some idealized version.<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Saddam and most other nationalist regimes here are the secular, socialist alternative to moslem fundamentalism or moslem despotic tribal regimes<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>And I don't doubt that either. Going to war over Kuwait was one of the cardinal errors of US policy in the last century (and why I voted for Clinton), and illustrates what has to be the Bush family's greatest shortcoming: their tendency to make policy decisions based on personal friendships with other ruling families, rather than on the national interest. <br><br>It was a foolish war, and should never have been fought. Once we'd determined to fight it, however, we needed to bring it to a conclusion, which George I lacked either the foresight or the resolve to do. George II, for all his faults, did at least try to clean up the mess from his dad's foreign policy adventure, although in the process he's made one which is arguably almost as bad.<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>your generalizations re the Arabs are misguided<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>I'd love to be proven wrong there. If they want to make friends, they have an odd way of showing it.<br><br>-Sepka the Space Weasel <p></p><i></i>
Sepka

as they do here, sepka? this what you mean?

Postby jc » Sat May 13, 2006 6:46 am

The Iraq war has been the war fought on the cheap: not enough body armor, not enough armor on vehicles, not enough night vision equipment. It has been the war in which packages from back home have had to fill some crucial needs.<br><br>Now, we have chow call at the Greenwood Credit Union in Warwick, R.I. ItÕs the latest in home-front intervention. ItÕs partially in response to the unthinkable image of U.S. Marines approaching Iraqi citizens and asking for food because they do not have enough. ThereÕs a big barrel in the lobby of the credit union on Post Road in Warwick. ItÕs decorated with ribbons and itÕs there because Karen Boucher-AndosciaÕs son, Nick Andoscia, called and asked his mother to send food.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.uruknet.info/?p=m23143&hd=0&size=1&l=e">www.uruknet.info/?p=m2314...size=1&l=e</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
jc

Postby havanagilla » Sat May 13, 2006 8:11 am

I find the comparisson bn arabs and nazi germany unfounded and not very serious, so I will not even try to disprove it by facts. Not every bad regime (as saddam's was) is "nazi". Specifically this is wrong in terms of power, that includes Iran. Basically, the Arab world is poor, disadvantaged, colonized, and the "WMD" fiasco is just one example of how the comparisson is wrong.<br>--<br>I find it almost grotesque defending the arabs on a board that has a weakness against jews here and there. but in truth, it is one and the same. those who are deeply suspicious of arabs per se (as opposed to being crirical of certain regimes, ideas, practices), are eventually not far from hating Jews, based on the same "hunches" and generalizations.<br>--<br>Nothing in the arab wars, world, oppression (and they have their faults we know) even resembles or is nearly as barbaric as ww2, ww1, and the slavery of black people in the USA, just to count a few of the highlights of the west people's practices in the last century or two. The arab culture is by far superior to that of west in terms of human rights and tolerance to minorities and difference. I don't see why anyone has to prove their good feelings to americans, to merit a humane treatment. <br>--<br> <br>--- <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Next

Return to Iraq