Nick Berg's father - powerful interview

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Nick Berg's father - powerful interview

Postby professorpan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:02 pm

This is an amazing interview. Notice how Soledad "lapdog" O'Brien keeps spouting the neocon talking points, trying to "balance" the interview. Ugh. I can't even stand to look at her.<br><br>But Michael Berg doesn't relent. This is a rare "truth to power" moment.<br><br>--<br><br>Beheaded man's father: Revenge breeds revenge<br><br>Michael Berg talks about the death of his son and al-Zarqawi<br><br>(CNN) -- The U.S.-led coalition's No. 1 wanted man in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi -- who conducted a campaign of insurgency bombings, beheadings and killings of Americans and Iraqi civilians -- was killed in a U.S. airstrike.<br><br>A gruesome video was posted on Islamic Web sites in May, 2004, depicting a man believed to be al-Zarqawi beheading Nicholas Berg, an American businessman who was working in Iraq.<br><br>CNN anchor Soledad O'Brien talks to Nicholas Berg's father, Michael Berg, by phone from Wilmington, Delaware, for his reaction to the news.<br><br>O'BRIEN: Mr. Berg, thank you for talking with us again. It's nice to have an opportunity to talk to you. Of course, I'm curious to know your reaction, as it is now confirmed that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the man who is widely credited and blamed for killing your son, Nicholas, is dead.<br><br>MICHAEL BERG: Well, my reaction is I'm sorry whenever any human being dies. Zarqawi is a human being. He has a family who are reacting just as my family reacted when Nick was killed, and I feel bad for that. (Watch video of the two bombs falling on al-Zarqawi -- 2:00)<br><br>I feel doubly bad, though, because Zarqawi is also a political figure, and his death will re-ignite yet another wave of revenge, and revenge is something that I do not follow, that I do want ask for, that I do not wish for against anybody. And it can't end the cycle. As long as people use violence to combat violence, we will always have violence.<br><br>O'BRIEN: I have to say, sir, I'm surprised. I know how devastated you and your family were, frankly, when Nick was killed in such a horrible, and brutal and public way.<br><br>BERG: Well, you shouldn't be surprised, because I have never indicated anything but forgiveness and peace in any interview on the air.<br><br>O'BRIEN: No, no. And we have spoken before, and I'm well aware of that. But at some point, one would think, is there a moment when you say, 'I'm glad he's dead, the man who killed my son'?<br><br>BERG: No. How can a human being be glad that another human being is dead?<br><br>O'BRIEN: There have been family members who have weighed in, victims, who've said that they don't think he's a martyr in heaven, that they think, frankly, he went straight to hell ...<br><br>You know, you talked about the fact that he's become a political figure. Are you concerned that he becomes a martyr and a hero and, in fact, invigorates the insurgency in Iraq?<br><br>BERG: Of course. When Nick was killed, I felt that I had nothing left to lose. I'm a pacifist, so I wasn't going out murdering people. But I am -- was not a risk-taking person, and yet now I've done things that have endangered me tremendously.<br><br>I've been shot at. I've been showed horrible pictures. I've been called all kinds of names and threatened by all kinds of people, and yet I feel that I have nothing left to lose, so I do those things.<br><br>Now, take someone who in 1991, who maybe had their family killed by an American bomb, their support system whisked away from them, someone who, instead of being 59, as I was when Nick died, was 5-years-old or 10-years-old. And then if I were that person, might I not learn how to fly a plane into a building or strap a bag of bombs to my back?<br><br>That's what is happening every time we kill an Iraqi, every time we kill anyone, we are creating a large number of people who are going to want vengeance. And, you know, when are we ever going to learn that that doesn't work?<br><br>O'BRIEN: There's an alternate reading, which would say at some point, Iraqis will say the insurgency is not OK -- that they'll be inspired by the death of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in the sense of he was turned in, for example, we believe by his own No. 2, No. 3 leadership in his ranks.<br><br>And, that's actually them saying we do not want this kind of violence in our country. Experts whom we've spoken to this morning have said this is a critical moment where Iraqis need to figure out which direction the country is going to go. That would be an alternate reading to the scenario you're pointing to. (Watch how Iraqi leaders cheered after learning about al-Zarqawi's death -- 4:31)<br><br>BERG: Yes, well, I don't believe that scenario, because every time news of new atrocities committed by Americans in Iraq becomes public, more and more of the everyday Iraqi people who tried to hold out, who tried to be peaceful people lose it and join -- what we call the insurgency, and what I call the resistance, against the occupation of one sovereign nation.<br><br>O'BRIEN: There's a theory that a struggle for democracy, you know...<br><br>BERG: Democracy? Come on, you can't really believe that that's a democracy there when the people who are running the elections are holding guns. That's not democracy.<br><br>O'BRIEN: There's a theory that as they try to form some kind of government, that it's going to be brutal, it's going to be bloody, there's going to be loss, and that's the history of many countries -- and that's just what a lot of people pay for what they believe will be better than what they had under Saddam Hussein.<br><br>BERG: Well, you know, I'm not saying Saddam Hussein was a good man, but he's no worse than George Bush. Saddam Hussein didn't pull the trigger, didn't commit the rapes. Neither did George Bush. But both men are responsible for them under their reigns of terror.<br><br>I don't buy that. Iraq did not have al Qaeda in it. Al Qaeda supposedly killed my son.<br><br>Under Saddam Hussein, no al Qaeda. Under George Bush, al Qaeda.<br><br>Under Saddam Hussein, relative stability. Under George Bush, instability.<br><br>Under Saddam Hussein, about 30,000 deaths a year. Under George Bush, about 60,000 deaths a year. I don't get it. Why is it better to have George Bush the king of Iraq rather than Saddam Hussein?<br><br>O'BRIEN: Michael Berg is the father of Nicholas Berg, the young man, the young businessman who was beheaded so brutally in Iraq back in May of 2004. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Nick Berg's father - powerful interview

Postby streeb » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:28 pm

Wow - that's pretty extraordinary. Thanks. I would guess that Mr. Berg is nonetheless exercising a lot of restraint, in that he's probably aware of considerable gap between the official story and other possible scenarios. Maybe not... what is the feeling around here about Nick Berg's death, anyway? <p></p><i></i>
streeb

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:52 pm

They stood like white boys..I also remember hearing somewhere that one of them was heard speaking Russian. I've also had difficulties with believing the beheading video itself was real due to the fact that I regretfully indulged a sick curiousity to see other beheading videos from the same period and compared to the ones I saw who's authenticity were beyond dispute(you'll have to trust me, I seriously don't recommend watching them), I have issues with Berg's being real.. <p></p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby Ted the dog » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:00 pm

Great interview. <br><br>"I've been shot at. I've been showed horrible pictures. I've been called all kinds of names and threatened by all kinds of people, and yet I feel that I have nothing left to lose, so I do those things." <br><br><br>Does he mean he's been threatened for speaking out like he does here in the interview? <p></p><i></i>
Ted the dog

Postby StarmanSkye » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:32 pm

WoW -- thanks for sharing that, et in Arcadia -- I can imagine that WAS a pretty ghastly experience; While I usually prefer to make my own mind about stuff, ie., don't avoid the truth of things even if they are ugly, I decided against watching the Berg video, or any others. I just didn't want to go there. So thanks for sharing your opinion.<br><br>Well, I have seen still photos of the 'terrorists' from the video, and have read a number of critiques/analysis of the whole deal with Berg and his death and how it was blamed on the Al Qaeda 'mastermind' in Iraq, Zarqawi -- and I tend not to buy it. Berg's public spectacle killing immediately after he was arrested and held by Americans and then conveniently 'released' only to be kidnapped and his death used to distract attention from the emerging sordid tale of rampant torture and abuses at Aby Ghraib -- AND many/most other prisons in Iraq (which fact is hardly EVER discussed, like NEVER by the MSM or 'official' spokespeople from the Pentagon and DoD. It was just too slick, and like you said, the video performance had too many unexplained offities in it <br>-- poses and body language of the so-called executioners seems very western, and what about the nonsense of Zarqawi claiming to be the leader but he's masked -- What's THAT supposed to be about? I sorta lean towards his having been killed years ago (as was reported in Arab press).<br><br>I suspect Berg was killed by a Special Forces gang of Mercs with unofficial sanction because a public-spectacle atrocity was needed for the PR value. I believe THAT'S how morally-ambiguous the war has become: End justifies means and all that.<br><br>Great interview by Berg's father alright. What an incredibly strong-willed, courageous and inspiring person. Did that interview actually air? The attitude of the interviewer WAS incredibly repulsive alright. I have my doubts that Zarqawi was even killed by this latest bombing, which has all the hallmarks of Israel's policy of assassination-by-Air Force -- an incredibly wasteful, destructive and horrific way of 'liberating' people, with all the innocent lives and great suffering it causes. How can the public possibly think the military isn't full of shit by killing so many innocents, which will only provoke retaliatory violence. Berg's observations on the archaic theory of the US in overthrowing one tyrant to replace it with another regime FAR more brutal and destructive is right the hell on. <br><br>Like the CIA, I think the Pentagon is obsolete and should be dismantled.<br><br>Thanks for posting this!<br>Starman<br><br><br>My sense <p></p><i></i>
StarmanSkye

Postby dude h homeslice ix » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:43 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Under Saddam Hussein, no al Qaeda. Under George Bush, al Qaeda.<br><br>Under Saddam Hussein, relative stability. Under George Bush, instability.<br><br>Under Saddam Hussein, about 30,000 deaths a year. Under George Bush, about 60,000 deaths a year. I don't get it. Why is it better to have George Bush the king of Iraq rather than Saddam Hussein?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>NICE! <p></p><i></i>
dude h homeslice ix

Re: ...

Postby stickdog99 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:06 pm

Berg's shady Freeper Iraqi Partner & Wolfowitz, sitting in a tree --<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=104&topic_id=1615190&mesg_id=1615190">www.democraticunderground...id=1615190</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x560487">www.democraticunderground...102x560487</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>CRAZY TINFOLERS: What am I missing about the Berg beheading?:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x1600191">www.democraticunderground...04x1600191</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
stickdog99

Postby streeb » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:41 pm

I didn't know about Aziz and Wolfie. Thanks Stickdog. <p></p><i></i>
streeb

Postby dugoboy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:14 pm

Michael berg tried to run for office in 2004 and this year as a green party candidate i do believe.<br><br>edit: yep<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Berg">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Berg</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Michael Berg, a retired teacher and longtime antiwar activist, is a candidate for Congress from the state of Delaware, running on the Green Party ticket.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Michael Berg was born in Philadelphia on March 3, 1945. Berg earned a BA in English literature and a teaching certificate at Bucknell University in 1967, and a master’s degree in education from Temple University in 1969.<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Berg, a longtime antiwar activist, was involved in the protests against the Vietnam War beginning in 1965.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> According to his website [1], "In 1991, when the United States invaded Iraq in the Gulf War, <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Berg intensified his protest activities despite reprimands from his school's administrator.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> He has protested the current administration's invasion of Iraq as well, organizing local marches, protests, and vigils and traveling to Washington, D.C."<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>In August 2004, he was presented with the Courageous Resister Award at New York University.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> A year later he received the Adele Dwyer St. Thomas of Villanova Peace Award. In 2005, Berg moved from Chester County, Pennsylvania, to Wilmington, Delaware, where he registered as a member of the Green Party. According to Democracy Now!, <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>he said he was approached by representatives of the Democratic Party but will run with the Green Party because: "the Democrats have the money to get the message out, but they have the wrong message."</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> [2] <p>___________________________________________<br>"BUSHCO aren't incompetent...they are COMPLICIT." -Me<br><br>"Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act" -George Orwell</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=dugoboy@rigorousintuition>dugoboy</A> at: 6/8/06 5:21 pm<br></i>
dugoboy

Postby Gouda » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:53 am

Bumping for Mr. Berg. <br><br>What is extraordinary is that his words should seem so radical, such a challenge to power - almost like a "Colbert Moment" - when he merely expressed the healthy, sound perspective of a regular, decent, compassionate human being. If talking this normally is speaking "truth to power," which unfortunately it is, then you see where we are at. A normal, human estimate of the situation is quite a lot these days. An eye-opener, a heart-warmer, an inspiration. <br><br>S. O'Brien, on the other hand, was not on "counterpoint" in the sense of "fair and balanced" journalism so much as acting a clown with candy trying to goad a child. To think that she ought to be on counterpoint with Mr. Berg! <br><br>"one would think..."<br><br>"There's an alternate reading, which would say..."<br><br>"There's a theory that a struggle for democracy, you know..."<br><br>You don't fucking try to force psy-prop and hollow talking points on a real human who is full of the enormity of the meaning of the dark and dubious loss of his son. This shallow cheerleader for death and vengeance had her pom-poms plucked. <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Postby dugoboy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:11 pm

absolutely. i watched the view, i watched regis and kelly, and david letterman last night. after the hosts mentioned al zarqawi was killed every audience exploded with riotous clapping and cheering. THIS COUNTRY IS FUCKED.<br><br>it also sickens me that PEOPLE WERE CHEERING THAT HE DIED.<br><br> <p>___________________________________________<br>"BUSHCO aren't incompetent...they are COMPLICIT." -Me<br><br>"Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act" -George Orwell</p><i></i>
dugoboy

Postby dbeach » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:30 pm

bergh was psyche ops at its worst<br><br><br>he is probaly a cia asset who is either enjoying or died later<br><br>BOGUS beheadin movie<br><br>another great distraction form the GW Buhswarsand police state <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Postby professorpan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:00 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>You don't fucking try to force psy-prop and hollow talking points on a real human who is full of the enormity of the meaning of the dark and dubious loss of his son. This shallow cheerleader for death and vengeance had her pom-poms plucked.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Beautifully put, Gouda. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Nick Berg revisited

Postby professorpan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:09 pm

I posted a lot about Berg and all the oddities, for those interested in revisiting the story:<br><br>Michael Moore had interviewd Berg:<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://dir.salon.com/story/ent/feature/2004/05/27/fahrenheit_911/index_np.html">dir.salon.com/story/ent/f...ex_np.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Berg conspiracy theories and more<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.charm.net/~profpan/2004_05_01_archive.html">www.charm.net/~profpan/20...chive.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>50 fishy circumstances<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/5/15/22827/0477">www.kuro5hin.org/story/20...22827/0477</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>And I've learned by my mistakes to post the full copy of articles instead of just linking to them, as they disappear into the ether. Some of my Berg links are gone, gone, gone. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Re: Nick Berg revisited

Postby Dreams End » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:48 pm

And line of the day goes to Gouda:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>This shallow cheerleader for death and vengeance had her pom-poms plucked.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Not that I have any authority...just the second great line I've seen in two days. There are no prizes, incidentally.<br><br>The right is playing up the Berg interview big time. 'He think America is worse than Al-Qaida, " blared O'Reilly, taking time off from his loofah rituals.<br><br>What's just a TAD scary is he has started calling American war opposition "insurgents." Anyone notice any other rightwingers doing that? <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Next

Return to Iraq