Private Jacob Kovco

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: latest

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:52 am

I have a lot of respect for the Anzac Story and the people who fought in any conflict.<br><br>regardless of what good or evil they did.<br><br>I have never heard one glorify war.<br><br>A mate who was in Vietnam said that war is insanely long periods of mind numbing boredom followed by short intense periods of mind numbing fear. He is still recovering, and he's over 50.<br><br>Its the fuckers that send them away that I don't really like.<br><br>The Anzac myth was, despite the song, about the blood mud tears and fear when I was young. It was about the fact that Australia was (relatively) free cos of some people's sacrifice. And I live a very free life, and have never fought a war, in some ways that justify's my granddads time in ww1, (as a 16 year old, so what did he really know). He believed that war to end all wars myth, and I never had to go to war, so in some senses his belief is right.<br><br>Lest we forget.<br><br>Not the glory of it, but the fact that so many young kids died in the hope that me, as a young kid would be free. And compared to others I know, who grew up elsewhere thats pretty true. for all the tyranny of our culture we don't have the doors kicked in at 4 am (regularly). Last time it happened to me was 1985. (I kid you not).<br><br>I am hoping to go to Beaconsfield (mum's home town) next year and wear my Uncle Mick's (nans bro) medals. He died when he was 18, blown up on a stretcher in Flanders and the only bits of him that were found were his medals, and a few chaunks of flesh. They have never marched on Anzac Day, and my life has been free cos he didn't have one. I was watching the parade this year, and was almost in taers for some reason I couldn't explain. Probably just weeping for everyone that never came home. And all the other pain this land has suffered. I could feel Uncle Mick with me, he died 90 years ago. Funny what else happened in that town later that day.<br><br>I will probably wear a peace sign or something if I march. (I doubt they would let me.)<br><br>Possibly part of the reason I was almost crying was the sense that this has been hijacked. That what was once a reason to abhor war and celebrate selfless and needless sacrifice is now been quitetly co opted to con another bunch of kids into making the same bloody mistake.<br><br>We have forgotten. <p></p><i></i>
Joe Hillshoist

Blog: View Blog (0)

re:latest

Postby rain » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:06 am

so here's me thinking on my feet.<br>(lol. quite literally. dashing in and out. keyboard. chop wood. keyboard. chop wood...).<br><br>why make 'the dream' public access, but shut the book on the rest?<br>so it looks like one of those mystical, accidental, synpathy-evoking moments?<br>cripes did someone read the psych profiles all wrong?<br>australians relinquished their guns with nary a whimper, but we still need to 'support our boys (and girls).<br><br>gosh, do I sound like I think this is another one of 'their' heinous pr stunts.<br><br>so, maybe we can all hope, pray or whatever it is you do, that another report is going to get 'left at the airport'.<br><br>gtg, more wood.<br> <p></p><i></i>
rain

hey joe

Postby rain » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:35 am

I know.<br><br>but are you sure that the 'war to end all wars' was any different to what's happening now?<br><br>we're at the cross-roads right now. <br>one of the few factors that may make a difference is access to the information where people can at least have the opportunity to make an informed choice based on an informed perspective.<br><br>that's not how it works tho., and I'm not sure I can ascribe to the notion that someone sends anyone else anywhere. the buck stops where exactly?<br><br>'hard to see the dark side is'. get your torches out.<br><br>Lest We Forget.<br> <p></p><i></i>
rain

Re: hey joe

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:07 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>but are you sure that the 'war to end all wars' was any different to what's happening now?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>I know it wasn't, but they believed it at the time. Thats what I am trying to honour. It should have been maybe, but that was always a pipe dream in my mind.<br><br>Perhaps it was like the "we're defending freedom" lie that gets put about now.<br><br>After all Europe 100 years ago was well acquainted with war, and had been for millenia. Its a pretty noble aspiration really, the war to end all wars, your last noble sacrifice and thats it - forever the world will be better.<br><br>Every teenage male I know would jump at a chance to be that honourable and decent. Maybe the kids round here are extra special, but I seriously doubt it. Its the same adolescent idealism that when completely perverted and destroyed turns people into suicide bombers.<br><br>Add that to the chance of adventure and camraderie and I can see how they fell for it, and do today.<br><br>Then to be faced with the horror...<br><br>I guess thats one excuse todays kids don't have, ignorance of the reality of modern warfare.<br><br>I am sure my pop had killed by the time he was 16. That was when a nurse from his home town recognised him in a field hospital. He lost both parents by 12 and being the eldest went out to work to support his younger siblings. She went straight to the hospital CO and organised to send him home with an honourable discharge. I see kids that age 3 times a week at footy + training and think wow. They are so lucky.<br><br>I guess i owe them what i can pass on to make the most of their good fortune, its the only way I can honour something I don't always believe in, but understand to be fundamentally good.<br><br>Trying to understand that life is still hard for me to do.<br><br>He was also a bit sus TPTB wise... <p></p><i></i>
Joe Hillshoist

Hey R

Postby biaothanatoi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:57 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>why make 'the dream' public access, but shut the book on the rest?<br>so it looks like one of those mystical, accidental, synpathy-evoking moments?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Totally agreed. I'd be interested to know whether the journal was electronic or hand-written. Coz the story of this kids death has been told, and re-told, and re-told so many different ways that I'm finding it hard to believe this magical diary entry in which he says "I dreamt I shot myself in the head last night, just to see how it felt ... But don't worry! I'm not really going to!" <br><br>... meanwhile, we've got forensics saying he couldn't have shot himself, the minister saying he died alone in his room cleaning a loaded pistol, his friends saying they were with him when he died but nobody saw him shoot himself ... <br><br>... and now this weird stuff about how he and his mates were all singing along in a "female, homosexual" sort of way (to the Cranberries ... WTF? It's not exactly the Village People) and Kovco put a loaded pistol to his head and fired, apparently as a joke, although nobody was looking ... and forensics says it wasn't a point-blank shot ... and why would a sniper have loaded his own gun in his barracks against regulations?<br><br>Pete's sake. At this point, I'm more likely to believe that he was killed by a falling cow. <p></p><i></i>
biaothanatoi

Re: Hey R

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:34 am

"Dreams"<br><br>Oh, my life is changing everyday, <br><br>In every possible way. <br>And oh, my dreams, it's never quiet as it seems, <br>Never quiet as it seems. <br><br>I know I've felt like this before, but now I'm feeling it even more, <br>Because it came from you. <br>And then I open up and see the person falling here is me, <br>A different way to be. <br><br>Ah, la da ah... <br>La... <br><br>I want more impossible to ignore, <br>Impossible to ignore. <br>And they'll come true, impossible not to do, <br>Impossible not to do. <br><br>And now I tell you openly, you have my heart so don't hurt me. <br>You're what I couldn't find. <br>A totally amazing mind, so understanding and so kind; <br>You're everything to me. <br><br>Oh, my life, <br>Is changing every day, <br>In every possible way. <br><br>And oh, my dreams, <br>It's never quiet as it seems, <br>'Cause you're a dream to me, <br>Dream to me. <br><br>Ah, da, da da da, da, la...<br><br><br>I think the specifics of that "homosexual, female" reference were that he may have put the gun to his head, while saying "This song is so gay I want to kill myself".<br><br>I dunno if he meant gay as in Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras.<br><br>Or gay as in "That is so gay" ala South Park.<br><br>If so it reminds me of the Eastern European guy who apparantly got drunk and cut his own head off with a chainsaw, to win a bet. <p></p><i></i>
Joe Hillshoist

penta-con

Postby rain » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:17 am

thanx for that biao.<br><br>the 'falling cow' gets my vote.<br> <br>"The gun went off," she said, in response to the claims made by Nelson this morning. "It was near him. It was nearby. (So) what did Jake do? Put his head down near the table so it could shoot him in the head...?"<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1438">webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1438</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
rain

ok

Postby wintler » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:35 am

If Kovco didn't fire the gun, we've either got some kind of falling gun/contortionist theory or somebody else fired it.<br>What if Kovco's diary contains a description of events best kept hidden? Maybe his roommates "going a little crazy" while out on checkpoint or patrol. Maybe some incriminating detail he picked up about a mercenary who drives around in mufti. Nothing i've heard has suggested any reason why Kovco himself might be a target.<br><br>Today (3rd day of inquiry) had first mention of Kovco messing around with weapons. Same soldier says he and comrades were not allowed to load load Kovcos remains onto the plane themselves. Incidentally, is there anyone around saying that deceased servicemen are currently being used as drug mules? <p></p><i></i>
wintler

Re: ok

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:00 am

This arvo the inquiry had been adjorned cos 2 soldiers refused to testify.<br><br>Could be sus, or could be out of respect for his family. This media circus must be hurting them.<br><br>I am watching lateline to see what they say but theres this bash the blackfellas story on. Well not really, I just wonder how its gonna be spun.<br><br>Terrible bullshit with evil seniour indigenous men involved in sex for petrol (for sniffing) and drugs with children type trading.<br><br>Many parallels including the use of positions in "ceremonial" secret style societies, and sexual abuse and collusion from all levels of indig and fed admin.<br><br>It will be interesting to see how this is spun. 2 points I would make.<br><br>1 Not all blackfellas are this evil (same with white red and yellow fellas, and ladies for that matter). This is to my knowledge an anti cultural thing, something indigenous communities are not in favour of.<br><br>But either are non indeigenous communities, and<br><br>2 This prolly happens there. er here er...<br><br>And thirdly, I hope the Kovco story in the media doesn't get hijacked like I just tried then.<br><br>So to repeat<br><br>Last I heard the inquiry was adjourned because 2 soldiers, known as nos, 2 and 14, had refused to take further part.<br><br>And if on the very slim chance his family ever read this, I am really sorry that Jake died and wish it hadn't happened. I don't know what else to say. <p></p><i></i>
Joe Hillshoist

exit strategy

Postby rain » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:37 am

don't you love that, they've got numbers not names.<br><br>from what I can gather from T.V. news media and a few others who've been watching, they're going to try to make him look like a loose canon, if not psyche-ward, interjected with 'the military needs more funding'.<br><br>I could never see eye-to-eye with someone who chooses organised murder and mayhem as a career path based on erroneous beliefs, but I actually feel such sympathy for Jake's family, particularly his mum. Yet again, those who believe they're 'serving their country' have to swallow the bitter pill that they're the ones being served.<br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
rain

adjourned

Postby wintler » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:09 am

Inquiry adjourned indefinately while soldiers seek legal advice:<br><br>"...Two Army Reserve lawyers, acting as counsel representing two soldiers in Iraq, also asked to be withdrawn from the board of inquiry yesterday because of a possible conflict of interest as a result of recent evidence.<br><br>The board and the Defence Department refused to give any further explanation for the reasons behind this request. The inquiry has been adjourned."<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19548932-2702,00.html">www.theaustralian.news.co...02,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
wintler

Re: adjourned

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:29 am

Indefinitely...<br><br>Oh well plenty of other stuff to distract us, what with savages out west, the socceroos and that debate about where to build the nuclear power station.<br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Joe Hillshoist

Previous

Return to Iraq