Custer Battles: 01 - The People: 00

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Custer Battles: 01 - The People: 00

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:32 pm

This hails as a serious sign of things to come. What did Blackwater say? <br><br>"We take care of our own.."<br><br>Indeed. And if that ever fails, you have a sock-puppet to issue your pardons..Talk about redundant fail-safes..<br>_________________<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/18/AR2006081801171_pf.html">www.washingtonpost.com/wp...71_pf.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Verdict Against Iraq Contractor Overturned</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Occupation Authority's Murky Status Cited<br><br>By Renae Merle<br>Washington Post Staff Writer<br>Saturday, August 19, 2006; D01<br><br>A federal judge threw out a $10 million jury verdict against an American company accused of overcharging on an Iraq reconstruction contract after concluding that the now-defunct Coalition Provisional Authority was not a U.S. government entity.<br><br>The civil fraud suit against Custer Battles LLC, which has offices in Northern Virginia, arose out of the chaotic 14-month period during which the authority governed Iraq after the 2003 U.S.-led invasion.<br><br>Using federal whistle-blower laws, a former employee and a subcontractor claimed Custer Battles created phony Cayman Islands companies to overcharge the authority on a contract to furnish Iraq with a new currency. The firm denied the claim.<br><br>Although a jury found the company guilty, U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III ruled on review that the firm could not be sued under the federal False Claims Act because of the ambiguous structure of the authority, which issued the contract. The judge also concluded that the way in which the company had been paid distanced it from the U.S. government.<br><br>He said there was ample evidence that the company had submitted "false and fraudulently inflated invoices" but found that the nature of the Coalition Provisional Authority precluded a fraud claim. Ellis signed his ruling Wednesday; it was made public yesterday.<br><br>Although "the CPA was principally controlled and funded by the U.S., this degree of control did not rise to the level of exclusive control required to qualify as an <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>instrumentality*</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> of the U.S. government," the 23-page ruling said. "In fact, the evidence clearly establishes that it was created through and governed by international consent."<br><br>The case is one of several to emerge from the $21 billion U.S. reconstruction effort as complaints emerge about sole-source contracts and allegations of fraud and corruption. The office of the special inspector general for Iraq Reconstruction has referred more than 20 criminal cases to the Justice Department for prosecution and has said that the authority's financial systems were so flimsy that billions of dollars could not be accounted for.<br><br>The Custer Battles litigation was brought under a separate anti-fraud law that allows citizens to sue on behalf of the government. It is not known whether any similar cases have been brought against contractors for the CPA. Such matters are sealed until the Justice Department decides whether to join the suit, which it did not in the Custer Battles case.<br><br>The Justice Department declined to comment on the ruling or its possible impact on other cases.<br><br>The plaintiffs in the Custer Battles suit, Robert Isakson and William Baldwin, will appeal, said their attorney, Alan M. Grayson. "If you want to make a list of all the things the Bush administration has screwed up, they created this Frankenstein entity called the Coalition Provisional Authority," Grayson said.<br><br>"CPA was created by the U.S. government, run by largely U.S. employees. This ruling could stand logic on its head," said Sen. Byron L. Dorgan (D-N.D.). "It's a setback for accountability."<br><br>Custer Battles was founded by Scott Custer, a former Army Ranger, and Michael Battles, a West Point graduate who served in the CIA. The company grew rapidly after the Iraq war as it was awarded CPA contracts.<br><br>The company's owners are "ecstatic," said their attorney, Robert Rhoad.<br>___________________________<br><br>* Anyone ever read Cordwainer Smith? I was amazed to see this word used here. The Instrumentality was Cordwainer's (admittedly)briliant NWO that controlled every facet of humanity for centuries throughout his fantastic SCi-Fi stories. Cordwainer Smith(an alias of the deceased Paul Myron Anthony Linebarger) is my favorite SciFi writer, and had a background worthy of discussion here at some point. <p>____________________<br>Some are born to sweet delight, some are born to endless night.</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Custer Battles: 01 - The People: 00

Postby FourthBase » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:28 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Custer Battles was founded by Scott Custer, a former Army Ranger, and Michael Battles, a West Point graduate who served in the CIA. The company grew rapidly after the Iraq war as it was awarded CPA contracts.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>This is where the blackmail photos come in handy.<br>That judge must have attended some of those parties. <p></p><i></i>
FourthBase

Re:Custer Battles: 01 - The People: 00

Postby Uncle Scam » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:49 pm

<br>All apart of the systematic rise of Roves republic no?<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/2/22/111240/237">www.dailykos.com/story/20...111240/237</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>Note: I am not a fan of dKos, however there are wonderful and erudite dairists there...<br><br>The great bifurcation of both Ideological tautology and coercion at home and abroad. Kicking and screaming the masses will be brought along. "Gil Scott Heron was wrong, the revolution has been televised." Only not the one we were hoping for. The new "revolutionaries" have won. Welcome to American Enantiodromia...<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUKJNxdmX6Y">www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUKJNxdmX6Y</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Uncle Scam

Re: Custer Battles: 01 - The People: 00

Postby StarmanSkye » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:04 pm

Why am I not surprised;<br><br>"Bush Admin. has stood accountability on its head."<br><br>A resounding truer-than-true epitaph if there ever was one.<br><br>Fourthbase perceptively quipped:<br>"This is where the blackmail photos come in handy.<br>That judge must have attended some of those parties."<br><br><br>--Perfect!<br>That's how 'justice' is done these days.<br>Ya jus' gotta laff -- otherwise the outrage will chew you up.<br><br>Thanx for the Heads-uP!<br>S <p></p><i></i>
StarmanSkye

Return to Iraq