Duke U. rape and the "Federal City Council"

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Duke U. rape and the "Federal City Council"

Postby mxmendo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:36 pm

Let's get the smear campaign/cover up rolling here...<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://stevegilliard.blogspot.com/2006/04/this-is-interesting.html">stevegilliard.blogspot.co...sting.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br>SSquirrel posted this up<br><br><br><br>It just struck me as strange. Why was Fox News attacking a rape victim? Why was Tucker Carlson on MSNBC? Were they just attacking a black women with no money going against some rich white kid? I figured there had to be a Republican somewhere. Maybe a Bush “Pioneer” or two? So I looked around…<br><br>Jason Bissey, who was on his porch next door during the party, saw the victim that night. He said Friday that he wishes he had called police at the first sign something was wrong.<br><br>He saw at least 30 men go into the white three-bedroom house, which Duke officials say is rented by three lacrosse team captains.<br><br>Bissey saw two women arrive and, after they were in the house 20 minutes, come out. As they got into a car, men shouted, Bissey said.<br><br>“Some of them were saying things like, ‘I want my money back,’ ” Bissey said.<br><br>“When I was outside, one guy yelled at her, ‘… Thank your grandpa for my cotton shirt,’ “ Bissey said.<br><br>Days later, Bissey learned one of the young women reported being raped.<br><br>Police have been called to the house at 610 N. Buchanan Blvd. four times since September, according to police records. <br><br>Residents also questioned why police waited two days to search the house after the rape was reported.<br><br>OK, Three captains, apparently there are four…<br><br>Duke head men’s lacrosse coach Mike Pressler announced on Tuesday the appointment of seniors David Evans, Dan Flannery, Bret Thompson and Matt Zash as team captains for the 2006 season.<br><br>Isn’t Google fun? It finds things like this…<br><br>The victim’s account is documented on TheSmokingGun.com’s web site and mentions how two males named Adam and Matt pulled her into a bathroom. Someone shut the door behind her and said “Sweetheart, you can’t leave”. The victim claims she attempted to leave but was prevented from doing so by Adam, Matt and another named individual, Brett. <br><br>If only I had a team roster…<br><br>Roster (partial)<br><br>40 Matt Danowski ATTACK 6-0 190 Jr. Farmingdale, N.Y. (Farmingdale) <br><br>12 Capt. Dan Flannery ATTACK 5-11 190 Sr. Garden City, N.Y. (Garden City) <br><br>36 Adam Langley ATTACK 5-9 165 So. Glenview, Il. (Glenbrook South)<br><br>24 Capt. Bret Thompson MIDFIELDER 6-0 185 Sr. Chevy Chase, Md. (Georgetown Prep) <br><br>21 Matt Wilson MIDFIELDER 6-0 185 Jr. Durham, N.C. (Durham Academy) <br><br>10 Capt. Matt Zash MIDFIELDER 5-11 190 Sr. Massapequa, N.Y. (Massapequa)<br><br>Three Matts, One Adam, One Bret…Anyone with money and government connections? <br><br>Bruce and Kathy Thompson (parents of Bret Thompson)<br>Chevy Chase, MD 20815-4805<br><br>Bruce E. Thompson Jr., First Vice President, Sr. Director of Government Relations, Merrill Lynch & Co. Inc., Washington, DC<br>Mr. Thompson represents Merrill Lynch in all legislative and executive branch matters of interest to the firm and to the financial services industry. He is also responsible for policy analysis and development, and for keeping Merrill Lynch and its clients apprised of government policy developments. Prior to joining Merrill Lynch in 1986, Mr. Thompson served as Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Legislative Affairs, the department’s chief representative to Congress. He is a Duke parent <br><br>Hmmm…Daddy’s on the board of visitors at Duke…Impressive resume, huh? <br><br>And this is the part I love…<br><br>THE DISTRICT’S POWER BEHIND THE SCENES <br>Washington Post-connected business group<br>wields influence over city’s legislative agenda <br><br>By KATHRYN SINZINGER<br>Staff Writer <br>An exclusive group of largely wealthy Washington area business people has for years been working behind the scenes with the city’s political leaders to advance its own agenda for the nation’s capital - often without D.C. residents’ input and almost always without wide knowledge of its efforts.<br><br>Legislative influence of the group, which has close ties to the Washington Post, extends from the D.C. City Council and the mayor’s office to the halls of Congress and the White House, according to sources interviewed for this story. <br><br>Membership in the private and generally secretive group, called the Federal City Council, is highly selective. Washington Post Publisher Donald E. Graham serves as nominating committee chairman for the organization, which was founded in 1954 by his father, the late Post Publisher Philip L. Graham. \<br><br>“They’re controlling the city and it’s a problem,” said Sandra Seegars, a longtime Ward 8 activist and recent appointee to the D.C. Taxicab Commission. “It’s a secret group that’s in the background pushing buttons and pulling strings, but nobody knows who they are.”<br><br>Librarian Matthew Gilmore noted with a chuckle that files about the Federal City Council “disappear” from the library’s collection almost as soon as they get created.<br><br>Here’s a list of the members of the Federal City Council, called Washington “trustees,” along with their business affiliation as published by the organization in January 1999.<br><br>…<br><br>Bruce E. Thompson Jr. Vice president, director of government relations Merrill Lynch & Co<br><br>He seems also to be part of some secret politically powerful group too. With connections to the Washington Post. I guess they won’t be publishing this, huh?<br>And while he doesn’t seem to be a Bush Ranger or Pioneer his Boss sure is(E. Stanley O’Neal Chair, CEO & President Merrill Lynch & Co. )<br><br>Though Bruce did find time to hit the 2004 Republican Convention…<br><br>Wall Street stood out among this week’s hosts. Of the 78 major contributors to the New York host committee, 31 are accounting firms, investment banks, mutual fund or insurance firms. Together they contributed as much as $25 million - and threw a dizzying array of soirees honoring congressional committees, chairmen and state delegations. “For us, it’s just a matter of building relationships,” said Bruce Thompson, vice president of government relations at Merrill Lynch. He is attending four parties a day.<br><br>So if you too were wondering why those classy people of the Right Wing Media like Fox News, or maybe Tucker Carlson at MSNBC’s The Situation Room, would attack a women who reported being cruelly gang raped by three white guys, would imply she’s a liar and a tramp and probably deserved it, I really have no idea. I really don’t understand why anyone with a shred of morality or integrity would do such a thing.<br><br>Hey Tucker, what if it was your daughter? <br><br>S(ad)Squirrel<br><br><br><br>I was wondering who called in Bob Bennett to "defend" Duke's reputation?<br><br>Interesting that the victim's criminal past is fodder for news, but not the fact that A) the police had been called to the house four times previously, and B) one of the teams members daddy is highly connected in Washington DC. <p></p><i></i>
mxmendo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Ted the dog » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:14 pm

Thanks for posting this....this case has been on my mind a lot lately. good to know people are poking around and finding this stuff. <br><br>I can't accept what the MSM is telling us about this case. Even without the info you just posted, I don't buy it. As soon as I heard that no DNA was found on the woman, I felt there was a cover-up.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Ted the dog

Re: ...

Postby Dreams End » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:03 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Why was Fox News attacking a rape victim?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Excellent post, mxmendo, though the above doesn't seem strange to me at all. I have a friend who lives 45 minutes from here and I go hang out at his house one evening every week or two. yeah, I'm 40 and I play with an Xbox...whatcha gonna do about it? <br><br>Anyway, coming home from this friend's last week (same friend as in the "in my defense" post, by the way for those keeping score at home) I hear this Fox late night sports talkshow host (J.T. "the brick" or something like that) go OFF on that Lacrosse team. He was irate and said they should all be expelled for failing to cooperate with the authorities. I couldn't believe it. On FOX??<br><br>LAST NIGHT, driving home, it was clear his bosses got to him. He still acknowledges that she didn't "deserve" to be raped, but counted the faults against her as including: failure to bring a bouncer and being drunk. He'd almost completely flipped his point of view. His sidekick chimed in with the helpful observation that many women who are raped are drunk though did concede that some of them get drunk AFTER the rape to deal with it. <br><br>that's the way it works, sadly. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Re: Duke U. rape and the "Federal City Council"

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:29 pm

Timeless propaganda themes:<br>1) Protecting men from indictments by women whistleblowers<br>2) Creating doubts about accusations in general<br>3) Demonizing blacks back to pre-Katrina hostility levels<br>4) Demonizing all underdogs-poor, woman, black<br> <br>Event specific themes:<br>I noticed that the April 2006 Oprah Magazine has a featured interview with an author of a book about 'Manliness' with approval of the Gropenfuhrer as "genuinely manly."<br><br>Same Oprah Magazine has an article about 'false confessions' and the 'unreliability' of memory complete with comments from (drum roll please) False Memory Syndrome Foundation spychiatrist<br>Elizabeth Loftus who has been muddying the waters of child abuse since 1973 and even has lawsuits against her for this.<br><br>So this Duke Univ. curfuffle plays right into all the gender war themes used to maintain fascism as a male domination cult and the media managers 'jumped it' like the alphabet agency frat boys they are. <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Re: Duke U. rape and the "Federal City Council"

Postby stickdog99 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:13 pm

I have mixed feelings about this.<br><br>It's a true crime story that doesn't need to be national news 24/7. At least some of the lacrosse players are potentially innocent, but they've all been convicted -- without any evidence so far, it would seem -- by half the audience while a probable victim is being convicted by the other half.<br><br>The reason it's a big story is to set up exactly these types of arguments which basically solve nothing and are primarily based on the biases we bring with us rather than the evidence of the specific case. If this specific women was raped by these fratletes, will that change anything about the way our puritan justice system is sadly punitive to rape victims? If these guys were actually guilty of something less than rape, does that do anything to change our sadly prurient national "true crime" news culture where the media trials of juicy "controversial" crimes (always committed by or against rich people) play out hour after hour long before anyone gets to court? <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=stickdog99>stickdog99</A> at: 4/14/06 7:24 pm<br></i>
stickdog99

Oprah

Postby Lizzy Dearborn » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:29 pm

HMW- I think she is a sad case study. <br><br>She has done great things for women, not just African-American women. (my southern good-ol-boy dad loves her too) And she has tried. But I really think 'they' got to her. Gave her a list or an impression of what not to talk about.<br><br>I remember her show about a book on female infirtility and how career women were coming to the realization that they were mis-lead about the whole "college then career then family" message. They saw how it was a recipe for childlessness. <br><br>Man, it was shot down with extreem predudice. The book was pulled off the shelves and it was "debunked" The author was smeared. Even though there were "an epidemic of women" begging Oprah for information.<br><br>Fertility clinics do a big business. <br><br>But she does good things too, like her show on the minimun wage yesterday. <br><br>But she does kiss-up to weird people too. <p></p><i></i>
Lizzy Dearborn

wow! thanks for posting.

Postby nashvillebrook » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:44 pm

i'm breathless.<br><br>Federal City Council... creepy. <p></p><i></i>
nashvillebrook

A Bit Suprised

Postby FranklinCase Admin » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:39 pm

In many ways I am surprised that this case even hit the major media outlets, obviously Daddy's lawyer bills are going to skyrocket now. I may be wrong here, going off memory only, but wasn't Merrill Lynch one of the baking institutions Enron made shady transactions with, wonder if Bruce Thompson had anything to do with that? <p></p><i></i>
FranklinCase Admin

Re: The "Lacrossitute Factor"

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:38 pm

This disgusting yellow journalism is obviously the work of PRESSTITUTES. grrrrrrr....<br><br>Reminder: A black 27 year-old mother of two went to dance for some frat boys to make college money with another woman, left after being racially insulted, went back in and claims she got seperated from the other woman and held in a bathroom and raped. She called police from a nearby store.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/US/story?id=1842967&page=1">abcnews.go.com/Sports/US/...967&page=1</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Sex on Campus: The 'Lacrosstitute' Factor<br>By ADRIENNE MAND LEWIN<br><br>April 14, 2006 — They're on every college campus where sports teams succeed: <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>groupies who want to date athletes — or at least have sex with them.<br></strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br>At Princeton University, where the men's lacrosse team is regularly ranked as one of the best in the nation, <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>the women are known as "laxtitutes" or "lacrosstitutes."<br><br>Candi Arner, a Princeton freshman, said her friends knew three girls who between them had slept with nine players on the team.<br><br>"They're not dating," Arner said, "but they don't mind the interchange."<br><br>The nicknames don't faze them much, either. "They think it's funny," freshman Katie Kinzer said. "It's a joke."</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Melissa, a freshman who declined to give her last name, said some of the allure was that guys on the team were "generally better looking, and they have a lot more confidence, too."<br><br>Sometimes it's just a matter of prestige, the allure of being associated with someone cool. "I think that there are girls that are more inclined to sleep with a lacrosse player or an athlete based on their status," said Joey, a junior who is friends with lacrosse players. He also didn't want to give his last name. "The success of the team matters."<br><br>Melissa agreed. "Sometimes you meet someone and hear he's on this sports team," she said, "and it just adds to it."<br><br>Athletes Under Scrutiny<br><br>It's certainly nothing new that college students have sex or that athletes are popular. But in light of the rape allegations at Duke University and the cancellation of the men's lacrosse team's season there — while a separate issue — players' behavior and the impact it can have on a team are now at the forefront of many college students' minds.<br><br>Alex, a sophomore athlete who didn't want to give his full name or sport, said the Duke case had been discussed with his team. "Our coach has given us a huge talk about how easy it is to screw up and jeopardize the whole program for one night," he said. "Just an accusation can ruin a whole program." <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby robertdreed » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:56 pm

What I find interesting about that article is that it rings true to me.<br><br>And the corollary of being a high-status, virile young athlete who has no difficulty in hooking up with attractive, nubile young college girls of an equal social status is that it stands to reason that the most plausible reason for feeling the need to "hire out" an outcall dancer would be to treat her in ways that the higher-status college women would forcefully reject, including wholesale group sex, degradation and abuse. <br><br>I can't offer a judgement as to whether a rape occurred, because I haven't heard all the evidence. It's yet another court case about a violent crime that's been turned into a public spectacle. And as such, it's de facto unavoidable as grist for commentary. <br><br>That said, I find the scenario unseemly and unsavory. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=robertdreed>robertdreed</A> at: 4/15/06 9:59 pm<br></i>
robertdreed

Postby stickdog99 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:25 am

In my limited experience of the US college jock (or otherwise hyper-macho) cultures, the main reason they hire out prostitutes is because that way they can more easily enjoy sex "with" the teammates they desire without confronting what this means about their sexual orientations. <p></p><i></i>
stickdog99

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:36 am

RR-<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> What I find interesting about that article is that it rings true to me.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Of course recreational status sex happens on campus. <br>But that's not the point.<br><br>That ABC would run an article about 'groupie sex' as if that had anything to do with the Duke incident is outrageous because the implication, <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>right down to a god damned cutesy phrase about lacross and sex!! (grrr spit)</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> is that <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"maybe she wanted them to fuck her."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>That is outrageous. I hope you can see that. <br>Media is war by other means. <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby robertdreed » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:05 am

I can't bring myself to be outraged by the general run of television news broadcasts. I knew what was up with that 25 years ago. <br><br>If I'm looking for news these days, I search the Internet. <br><br>I don't view that story as Big Media running interference for the Duke lacrosse team, by the way. It's simply another story with a titillating sex angle. As a way of excusing the athletes, it makes no sense. It works against them, if anything. <br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=robertdreed>robertdreed</A> at: 4/16/06 12:11 am<br></i>
robertdreed

Postby stickdog99 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:23 am

In fact, the media have somehow managed to work against guilty and innocent athletes, guilty and innocent university students and every past and future rape victim -- while avoiding all larger subjects -- all <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>at the same time</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->.<br><br>Quite a trick they've managed, isn't it? Isn't it time that they just shut up about it? <p></p><i></i>
stickdog99

Postby robertdreed » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:41 am

But look how well they do it. <p></p><i></i>
robertdreed

Next

Return to Deep Politics