CIA Goss resigns-- perfect storm?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

CIA Goss resigns-- perfect storm?

Postby heyjt » Fri May 05, 2006 3:19 pm

Goss announced his resignation around 11:00 west coast time. Pundits on MSNBC speculate that his short term ended because Negroponte cut into his action, and that Goss wasn't liked at "The Agency".<br> George Stephenopolis on ABC hinted at the real reason-- the prostitute ring run out of Watergate that Randy "Duke" Cunningham's defense contractor buddies set up. <br> #3 at the CIA, Kyle Foggo has been swept into the investigation and sources on the net have previously speculated that Goss may have been involved when he was in Congress.<br> Breaking... <p></p><i></i>
heyjt

Blog: View Blog (0)

And also...

Postby heyjt » Fri May 05, 2006 3:23 pm

How could I forget to include that Patrick Fitzgerald is going before the grand jury today.. Rove indicted?<br> Firedoglake speculates that Francis Townsend may take Goss's position at CIA, perhaps that's why they trotted her out for the big bird flu press conference yesterday... <p></p><i></i>
heyjt

From Harpers:

Postby heyjt » Fri May 05, 2006 3:31 pm

Red Lights on Capitol Hill?<br>Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006. By Ken Silverstein. <br>SourcesThe Wall Street Journal reported today that indicted former California Congressman Randall "Duke" Cunningham may not have limited his good times to partying on a rented yacht. It turns out the FBI is currently investigating two defense contractors who allegedly provided Cunningham with free limousine service, free stays at hotel suites at the Watergate and the Westin Grand, and free prostitutes. <br><br>The two defense contractors who allegedly bribed Cunningham, said the Journal, were Brent Wilkes, the founder of ADCS Inc., and Mitchell Wade, the founder of MZM Inc.; both firms profited greatly from their connections with Cunningham. The Journal also suggested that other lawmakers might be implicated. I've learned from a well-connected source that those under intense scrutiny by the FBI are current and former lawmakers on Defense and Intelligence comittees—including one person who now holds a powerful intelligence post. I've also been able to learn the name of the limousine service that was used to ferry the guests and other attendees to the parties: Shirlington Limousine and Transportation of Arlington, Virginia. Wilkes, I've learned, even hired Shirlington as his personal limousine service. <br><br>It gets even more interesting: the man who has been identified as the CEO of Shirlington has a 62-page rap sheet (I recently obtained a copy) that runs from at least 1979 through 1989 and lists charges of petit larceny, robbery, receiving stolen goods, assault, and more. Curiously—or perhaps not so curiously given the company's connections—Shirlington Limousine is also a Department of Homeland Security contractor; according to the Washington Post, last fall it won a $21.2 million contract for shuttle services and transportation support. (I tried to contact Shirlington but was unable to get past their answering service.) <br><br>As to the festivities themselves, I hear that party nights began early with poker games (see Clarification, below) and degenerated into what the source described as a "frat party" scene—real bacchanals. Apparently photographs were taken, and investigators are anxiously procuring copies. My heart beats faster in fevered anticipation. <br><br>Expect further details to emerge . . . <br><br>Clarification, April 28, 11:55AM: the wording of the last paragraph in this item was not meant to suggest that all of the party attendees stayed throughough the night. Some of the partygoers were simply there to play cards and mingle with friends. <br><br> <p></p><i></i>
heyjt

Re: From Harpers:

Postby sunny » Fri May 05, 2006 4:18 pm

Revenge of the Purged. <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Goss

Postby Col Quisp » Fri May 05, 2006 4:18 pm

He probably needs to spend more time with his family. <p></p><i></i>
Col Quisp

Re: Goss

Postby Corvidaerex » Fri May 05, 2006 4:37 pm

Remember, Goss and his buddy Graham are two of the known 9/11 perps. Jeff Wells has covered it often. Here's a Village Voice version:<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/august2004/110804terroristbreakfast.htm">www.prisonplanet.com/arti...akfast.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Corvidaerex

Postby albion » Fri May 05, 2006 4:49 pm

Via TPM Muckracker, <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/000561.php">CNN says:</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"Taking a look at what's out on the Internet -- not much controversy involving the director himself."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>LOL! <p></p><i></i>
albion

Postby Corvidaerex » Fri May 05, 2006 4:51 pm

I heard that ... cracked me up. Fox was much better, because William Kristol was saying, "Something happened, something very bad, this is not going to be good for the Bush people," etc.<br><br>He just wouldn't let up -- the shit had hit the fan, Big Horror Come Soon. The friggin' white house calls while he's on air and says no no no, it's all fine, just part of the "shake up." Hilarious. I hope the sonofabitch rots in hell. <p></p><i></i>
Corvidaerex

Postby sunny » Fri May 05, 2006 5:23 pm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>From Laura Rozen's site:<br><br>Dana Priest is on MSNBC right now saying we'll have to wait for tomorrow's paper to find out why he resigned.<br><br>So, it is a Washington Post story tomorrow, although I'd be surprised if the lid stays on that long.<br><br>Maybe Dana Priest didn't take too kindly to her friend Mary McCarthy being scapegoated by Goss on the secret prisons story. Whattya think?<br><br>(And, note, that if it's a Dana Priest article, it may well not be about Wilkes, etc. I still think that's the likely cause, but she hasn't been writing about Wilkes, etc, and her beat is normally national security, so don't rule out other possibilities.)<br><br>UPDATE: ThinkProgress points out just how sudden this is.<br><br><br>In fact, Porter Goss was apparently supposed to attend a regularly scheduled afternoon meeting that takes place right about this time in the afternoon. The Defense Department has representatives there and, according to sources, none of the people at that meeting had any advance word that Porter Goss was going to be tendering his resignation.<br><br>So it indicates the sudden nature that this took place, and again it just fuels the speculation of what the real backstory is here.<br><br>So, here's my working theory at this point. Dana Priest is working a major story. She has the story written and contacts Goss's office for a comment this morning. And within hours Goss is sitting with Bush resigning. So, what's the story so explosive that he would resign same day....?<br><br>Also, Negroponte, Goss's nominal boss, didn't know either when they met this morning?</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> <br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://bornatthecrestoftheempire.blogspot.com/2006/05/look-at-wapo-site-tonight-tomorrow.html" target="top">Found Here</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->.<br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=sunny@rigorousintuition>sunny</A> at: 5/5/06 3:24 pm<br></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby isachar » Fri May 05, 2006 6:06 pm

Hookergate. Just how far will this be allowed to go? They're going to have to let some heads roll, but clearly Bush/Cheney/Rummy will be held harmless - though Cheney and Rummy are probably two of the top crime bosses.<br><br>I can see this ending with the hooker aspect as their fall back. Just as the phony 911 Whitewash Commission served as their fallback. Let a few politicians with loose zippers take the fall just so long as the head crime bosses are left alone.<br><br><br>Make no mistake, this is all part of the same hydra-headed mess served up by the Bushco crime syndicate. It's the Iraq, Halliburton, Abramoff-bribing, murderous, oil-thieving DU contaminating, phony 911 psy-ops, phony-war, Gannogate, trillion dollar Pentagon theft, Rummy looting, anthrax sprewing, traitorous, child/gay sex, fascist, Bush crime family, lawyer-shooting, election-fraud, torturing, anti-Constitutional, undercover op disclosing, Chalabi-WMD evidence planting, lying, polluting, scumbag promoting Repukican crime syndicate. <p></p><i></i>
isachar

Postby Qutb » Fri May 05, 2006 6:18 pm

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg. <p></p><i></i>
Qutb

They just did that here too.

Postby slimmouse » Fri May 05, 2006 6:45 pm

<br> Having successfully introduced his ID card stuff, and lied thru his teeth about the whole episode, Charles Clarke then becomes the latest fall guy, by just so happening to create an Ideal problem reaction, solution situation ( more justification for global tagging - Id cards - by the latest scandal )<br><br> Watch out for Charlie boy. Just like Arnie, He'll be back. <p></p><i></i>
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: They just did that here too.

Postby chiggerbit » Fri May 05, 2006 7:32 pm

Could limogate be where Gannon/Guckert comes in? <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

ding ding ding!!!

Postby dranek7 » Fri May 05, 2006 10:27 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> Could limogate be where Gannon/Guckert comes in?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>chiggerbit, you are right on the money! Someone at <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/5/5/194558/7271">dkos</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> has just started diggint beneath the surface...all roads lead through wonkette <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:KRIcKPmpUc0J:www.wonkette.com/politics/duke-cunningham/+duke+gay+prostitutes&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1">too!</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
dranek7

Re: ding ding ding!!!

Postby chiggerbit » Fri May 05, 2006 11:48 pm

Andrew Sullivan gay writer for the Washington Times (isn't that an oxymoron?) says:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://time.blogs.com/daily_dish/">time.blogs.com/daily_dish/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>It tells you not much. The full background on Hookergate, in which Goss, or his staffers, may be embroiled, is here. Republican spin can be found here. I find it underwhelming. The suddenness of this departure, its Friday afternoon timing, and the absence of any obvious cause suggests there is more to emerge. My sources tell me: much more.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Next

Return to Deep Politics