South Central Farm raided

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: South Central Farm raided

Postby Dreams End » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:20 pm

Wrote a friend of mine. She sent back the Mayor's comment and her own note is after the ###at the end. <br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>Office of the Mayor<br>City of Los Angeles<br><br>ANTONIO R. VILLARAIGOSA<br><br>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Joe Ramallo<br>June 13, 2006 213-978-0741<br><br>REMARKS BY MAYOR VILLARAIGOSA REGARDING THE<br>SOUTH CENTRAL URBAN FARM<br><br>As you know, this morning Sheriff's deputies began evicting farmers and<br>activists at the South Central Farm.<br><br>Today's evictions are unfortunate and come at the end of a tumultuous turn<br>of events that at times was not always discussed in public due to the<br>nature of real estate negotiations and the discussions that various parties<br>were having with the property owner.<br><br>In light of today's events and the fact that it appears that the owner will<br>not accept a proposal that meets his asking price of $16 million - I felt<br>it was important to brief you today.<br><br>Today's events are unfortunate, disheartening and unnecessary. After years<br>of disagreement over this property we had all hoped for a better outcome.<br><br>I'd like to be clear about what has transpired.<br><br>The property owner asked for $16 million - and last week, after 10 months<br>of negotiations and efforts by my staff and others from the Trust for<br>Public Land and the Annenberg Foundation - a proposal for a full-price, $16<br>million purchase was made by the Annenberg Foundation to the property<br>owner.<br><br>The foundation expressed a clear, sincere interest and commitment by its<br>trustees to acquire the property for $16 million dollars.<br><br>This morning, in a conversation with the property owner I reiterated my<br>confidence in and support for the Annenberg purchase. Even after meeting<br>his asking price, Mr. Horowitz told me that he would not sell the property<br>to the Trust for Public Lands and the Annenberg Foundation.<br><br>Everyone involved who cares about this garden and who cares about the<br>farmers who have built an oasis in a sea of industry and concrete has done<br>everything possible to meet the property owner's demands. First it was<br>about price, well*. we met his price. He set the bar very high and we met<br>it.<br><br>Now the bar has been moved.<br><br>I understand a businessman's need to invest and make a profit. I also have<br>a high respect for and will defend property rights. That is the spirit<br>under which we all operated when trying to negotiate and resolve this<br>issue.<br><br>But I also believe that we are called upon by a sense of community and<br>civic duty to do the just and right thing. I had hoped that the landowner<br>would have heeded that call.<br><br>For those who say that there is no plot of land for urban farming in South<br>LA, you should know that the City will continue plans to relocate farmers<br>to an alternate 7.8 acre site, which has the capacity to house 200 garden<br>plots. Already, 30 farmers have been allowed to begin cultivating the land<br>located at 111th St & Avalon.<br><br>We want to make sure the farmers are properly relocated. In addition,<br>there are about 100 more plots located around the City that we have<br>identified for community gardens.<br><br># # #<br>I don't think the leadership of the group (I think she means the organizers around the garden issue) is officially associated with<br>them (voz de Aztlan) but would not surprise me if they sympathize. Additionally, I have<br>been concerned about the leadership. Below is the mayor's statement but the<br>leadership continues to attack Antonio NOT Horowitz. Horowitz has hired<br>Black security guards to make a Black v. Brown statement and is backed by<br>Jan Perry who is very anti Latino. La Voz has always put out outrageous<br>anti-semitic crap.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>So more twisted, sad racial politics in LA. When the pie is shrinking, you fight for crumbs, I guess. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Re: What is needed for Sepka.....

Postby Sepka » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:59 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>But the larger community, Jewish and non, will see this sort of thing as representative of people in South Central and back off in their support.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>If the people of South Central are opposed to Voz de Aztlan's statements about the Jews, they're being remarkably quiet in their opposition. <br><br>-Sepka the Space Weasel <p></p><i></i>
Sepka

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Dreams End » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:46 pm

Not sure who knows about it. I posted this before but it didn't take. here's a statement from the mayor followed by a comment from an LA activist friend of mine. Her comments are after the ###<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Office of the Mayor<br>City of Los Angeles<br><br>ANTONIO R. VILLARAIGOSA<br><br>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Joe Ramallo<br>June 13, 2006 213-978-0741<br><br>REMARKS BY MAYOR VILLARAIGOSA REGARDING THE<br>SOUTH CENTRAL URBAN FARM<br><br>As you know, this morning Sheriff's deputies began evicting farmers and<br>activists at the South Central Farm.<br><br>Today's evictions are unfortunate and come at the end of a tumultuous turn<br>of events that at times was not always discussed in public due to the<br>nature of real estate negotiations and the discussions that various parties<br>were having with the property owner.<br><br>In light of today's events and the fact that it appears that the owner will<br>not accept a proposal that meets his asking price of $16 million - I felt<br>it was important to brief you today.<br><br>Today's events are unfortunate, disheartening and unnecessary. After years<br>of disagreement over this property we had all hoped for a better outcome.<br><br>I'd like to be clear about what has transpired.<br><br>The property owner asked for $16 million - and last week, after 10 months<br>of negotiations and efforts by my staff and others from the Trust for<br>Public Land and the Annenberg Foundation - a proposal for a full-price, $16<br>million purchase was made by the Annenberg Foundation to the property<br>owner.<br><br>The foundation expressed a clear, sincere interest and commitment by its<br>trustees to acquire the property for $16 million dollars.<br><br>This morning, in a conversation with the property owner I reiterated my<br>confidence in and support for the Annenberg purchase. Even after meeting<br>his asking price, Mr. Horowitz told me that he would not sell the property<br>to the Trust for Public Lands and the Annenberg Foundation.<br><br>Everyone involved who cares about this garden and who cares about the<br>farmers who have built an oasis in a sea of industry and concrete has done<br>everything possible to meet the property owner's demands. First it was<br>about price, well*. we met his price. He set the bar very high and we met<br>it.<br><br>Now the bar has been moved.<br><br>I understand a businessman's need to invest and make a profit. I also have<br>a high respect for and will defend property rights. That is the spirit<br>under which we all operated when trying to negotiate and resolve this<br>issue.<br><br>But I also believe that we are called upon by a sense of community and<br>civic duty to do the just and right thing. I had hoped that the landowner<br>would have heeded that call.<br><br>For those who say that there is no plot of land for urban farming in South<br>LA, you should know that the City will continue plans to relocate farmers<br>to an alternate 7.8 acre site, which has the capacity to house 200 garden<br>plots. Already, 30 farmers have been allowed to begin cultivating the land<br>located at 111th St & Avalon.<br><br>We want to make sure the farmers are properly relocated. In addition,<br>there are about 100 more plots located around the City that we have<br>identified for community gardens.<br><br># # #<br>I don't think the leadership of the group (I think she means of the garden activists) is officially associated with<br>them (voz de Aztlan) but would not surprise me if they sympathize. Additionally, I have<br>been concerned about the leadership. Below is the mayor's statement but the<br>leadership continues to attack Antonio NOT Horowitz. Horowitz has hired<br>Black security guards to make a Black v. Brown statement and is backed by<br>Jan Perry who is very anti Latino. La Voz has always put out outrageous<br>anti-semitic crap.<br><br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>This may be simply a matter of the usual convoluted and tragically misguided racial politics in L.A. But Voz de Aztlan is Cointelpro type material for sure. Even people who believe that shit don't say it that way unless the only purpose is to piss people off. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Postby StarmanSkye » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:52 pm

"If the people of South Central are opposed to Voz de Aztlan's statements about the Jews, they're being remarkably quiet in their opposition."<br><br><br>Ha-Ha-Ha!<br><br>RIGHT, like any among the farm-supporters who don't endorse the anti-semite slurs have the ears of the MSM, OR your personal phone number/e-mail -- How are YOU gonna hear about it? And of course, discredit by association is so much easier anyway, eh? Darryl Hannah was quoted as explaining that the anti-Semite allegations are spurious, most likely because she's a celeb. So, at the very least, that's one allegation and one rebuttal. <br><br>It's a given that COINTELPRO-type divide-and-rule strategists have sufficient influence in the media to control to an extraordinary extent what the public hears. Funny how that basic principle is so readily forgotton when it suits the PTB's biased Blame First PR agenda.<br><br>BTW:<br>South Central protest photos:<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://la.indymedia.org/news/2006/06/164227.php">la.indymedia.org/news/2006/06/164227.php</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Starman<br> <p></p><i></i>
StarmanSkye

Postby Sepka » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:42 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>RIGHT, like any among the farm-supporters who don't endorse the anti-semite slurs have the ears of the MSM, OR your personal phone number/e-mail -- How are YOU gonna hear about it?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>They certainly seem to have had no trouble getting media attention. I've been sitting here trying to recall where I'd heard of 'Aztlan' before this thread as well, and it finally occurred to me - it was during the amnesty marches, back in early May. There were quite a few 'Aztlan' signs and banners on display. I'd have to conclude that at the very least, the organization and its views are acceptable to the people organizing the protests. Some of the marchers, admittedly, may have known no more about the group than I did.<br><br>-Sepka the Space Weasel <p></p><i></i>
Sepka

Postby Dreams End » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:18 pm

NOt everything with "Aztlan" in the name is from Voz de Aztlan. but go there...it's way over the top as to be transparent. But activists don't know their history and this can continue to work. <br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Postby Sepka » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:26 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>NOt everything with "Aztlan" in the name is from Voz de Aztlan<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>That's certainly a possibility. Perhaps you might suggest some other 'Aztlan' groups or organizations the banners might have stood for?<br><br>According to the Anti-Defamation League, at least, Voz de Aztlan has a long history of preaching hatred:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.adl.org/Learn/Aztlan/anti_SZ.asp">www.adl.org/Learn/Aztlan/anti_SZ.asp</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The NOA has posted numerous anti-Semitic articles and editorials on its Web site, La Voz de Aztlan. Many of these articles allege Jewish control of the U.S. government (one described the Monica Lewinsky affair as a plot involving the Mossad and, by extension, Israel.) The NOA has exploited the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks to further extend its anti-Semitic and anti-Israel conspiracy theories.<br><br>[...]<br><br>Carreon published an essay on Oct. 9, 2001 titled "Anthrax Terrorists May Be Zionists," in which he claimed that the anthrax outbreak in Florida may have been the work of Jews. Carreon claimed that in July 2001 he received an anonymous letter containing a "small amount of a yellowish white substance" and text claiming that "Jews had an illustrious history in biological research." Carreon claimed he developed "flu like symptoms" after receiving that letter. This made him suspicious of the Boca Raton anthrax case; Carreon claims that "the laboratory engineered Anthrax spores came in the mail in an envelope that included a 'Star of David' charm." Carreon wrote, "We believe that the terrorists are actually Zionists." Everyone assumes that "the dangers we face" come from Islamic terrorists, stated Carreon, "but our experience has been different. We fear Zionist terrorists more. They have been trying to take away our constitutional right of freedom of political expression through acts of terrorism."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>There's plenty more in this vein, it seems. Some quotes from Voz de Aztlan editorials and press releases:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>October 23, 2001 – "Don't allow Zionist to place a ‘guilt trip’ on you because of the holocaust. This has been a principal tactic that Zionists have used to manipulate American public opinion. Also, do not be concerned about being called anti-semitic when you start questioning the use of your tax monies to support racist Israeli policies. The Zionists have loaded the anti-semitic label with the guilt feelings and pity normal people feel through the images in our memories of the pictures of gas chambers, piles of corpses, and concentration camps that we have been shown through the efforts of Jewish institutions such as the Museum of Tolerance and through countless books and films on the subject."<br><br><br>May 25, 2001 – "Just a few hours ago something extraordinary occurred in Jerusalem that makes one wonder if God is again punishing the Jews as in ancient times…. The Lord has punished the Jews throughout history when they have drifted into sinful lives. This has been documented in the Torah or the first five chapters of the Old Testament. There are now large number of Jews in Israel as well as all over the world that live by exploiting other people. Many have also lost their religion and have become perverted."<br><br>April 11, 2001 – "…we are publishing the controversial ‘Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion’ for your review and analysis. We ask that you read the ‘Protocols’ and determine for yourself whether they are legitimate. We ask that you study them carefully in order to be educated and informed. Do political and economic events around the world conform to what the ‘Protocols’ set out to do? You judge for yourselves." <br><br>August 21, 1998 – "National Magazine [sic] and Newspapers are owned or controlled by American Jews. There are American Zionists now in control of many agencies in the U.S. Government. The U.S. State Department is in complete control by the American Jewry. This takeover began with Henry Kissinger and is now in the hands of Jewess Madeleine Albright."<br><br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Is this really the sort of group you feel needs defending? <br><br>-Sepka the Space Weasel<br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=sepka>Sepka</A> at: 6/15/06 10:27 pm<br></i>
Sepka

Postby Dreams End » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:54 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Is this really the sort of group you feel needs defending? <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>What the fuck are you talking about, Sepka? I was the one who posted their anti-Semitic slurs in the first place. Reread my posts and don't post after drinking, dude.<br><br><br>Aztlan is the mythical name for the Aztecs homeland. It has been appropriated as a political symbol by many.<br><br>Now go sleep it off. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Previous

Return to Deep Politics