British murder of Kenyans circa 1950

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

British murder of Kenyans circa 1950

Postby jingofever » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:53 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://fairuse.100webcustomers.com/fairenough/bost19.html">fairuse.100webcustomers.c...ost19.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>A story about a new book concerning the murder/torture of Kenyans in concentration camps set up by the British Empire during a rebellion against their enlightened rule.<br><br>Here is a segment I like:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>She began her research as a graduate student at Harvard in 1993, continuing for several years and receiving her doctorate in 2001. ``I was going to write on the success of British liberal reform in the detention camps of Kenya," she said. British official records suggested that there were only a few ``one-offs" -- bad apples -- in an otherwise-enlightened program of reeducation. But by 1998, after an early visit to Kenya and after reading accounts of horrors in private collections and interviewing former colonial officers in London, she had become suspicious.<br><br>``I remember distinctly, I was in my flat in London," she said, ``trying to write up a portion of what I had found. And it wasn't adding up. Then I said, after days of frustration, `What if I turn this upside down? What if this is a story of extreme violence and repression, more systematic over time, and about coverup?' It was an `oh-good-God' moment. It all began to fall into place. The purging of files was extraordinary. The British were meticulous record keepers, but there wasn't a single file that said how many camps there were, their names and functions. I had to piece it all together."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Imagine millions of Americans having similar flashes of insight. <p></p><i></i>
jingofever

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: British murder of Kenyans circa 1950

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:19 am

Barack Obama's father was a Harvard-educated Kenyan who became finance minister and then died mysteriously when he 'fell out of favor with the Kenyan government.'<br><br>Obama's mother re-married to an oil man from Indonesia.<br><br>I'd love to know more about Obama's father. <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Deep Politics