Bush Sr. attends Ken Lay's funeral

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Bush Sr. attends Ken Lay's funeral

Postby dugoboy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:15 pm

link:<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/4043620.html" target="top"><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">Bush Sr. attends Ken Lay's funeral</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END--></a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>excerpt: <br><br>More than 1,000 mourners gathered at First United Methodist Church, where Lay had been a member. They included friends, former Enron employees and erstwhile dignitaries, including former President George H.W. Bush, former Secretary of State James A. Baker III and ex-Houston Mayor Bob Lanier, who collapsed just before the service began and was taken by ambulance to St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital.<br><br>Lawson likened Lay to James Byrd, a black man who was dragged to death in a racially motivated murder near Jasper eight years ago.<br><br>"Ken Lay was neither black nor poor, as James Byrd was, but I'm angry because Ken was the victim of a lynching," said Lawson, who predicted that history will vindicate Lay.<br><br>His comments, met by hearty applause, referred to Lay's recent federal trial on fraud and conspiracy charges stemming from Enron's unraveling in 2001 and four charges of bank fraud. Lay had planned to appeal his conviction and was awaiting sentencing when he died.<br><br> <p>___________________________________________<br>"BUSHCO aren't incompetent...they are COMPLICIT." -Me<br><br>"Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act" -George Orwell</p><i></i>
dugoboy

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Bush Sr. attends Ken Lay's funeral

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:31 pm

Baker was there too, eh? <p>____________________<br>Oderint, dum metuant</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby HMKGrey » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:18 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Ken Lay was neither black nor poor, as James Byrd was, but I'm angry because Ken was the victim of a lynching," said Lawson, who predicted that history will vindicate Lay.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>That's an astonishing thing to say. <br><br> <p></p><i></i>
HMKGrey

Postby professorpan » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:28 pm

The boys are back in town...<br><br>And the comparison of Lay to a lynched black man? Fucking appalling.<br> <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Postby wintler » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:08 am

Re Byrd comparison, wishful thinking can be pretty stupid. Bush/Baker et al have to sing 'the ends justify the means' hymns, else their rampant law breaking becomes too conspicuous. <br>The timing of Lay's death is absolutely perfect from the point of view of keeping the family fortune and preserving long term reputation. The rank of his mourners is impressive too, i thought he was just another (publicly) WASP wise guy. In a just world every one of the employees, investors and customers he help rip off would have got to count his teeth (tounge depressors and spotlights provided), to check thats it was really him in the coffin.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
wintler

Return to Deep Politics