"Fantasy Hippies"

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

"Fantasy Hippies"

Postby NewKid » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:24 am

HMW, who let the dogs out?<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://mydd.com/story/2006/7/13/14567/4511" target="top">mydd.com/story/2006/7/13/14567/4511</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
NewKid

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: "Fantasy Hippies"

Postby bvonahsen » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:41 am

This has Carl Rove written all over it, it's exactly the sort of thing he'd do. I would almost expect to see him in the audience throwing the first salvo. Another lesson from the Machiavellian altar Rove worships.<br><br>It is true that if such a thing were to happen it would greatly benifit McCain. I'm not sure he could use it to get into the oval office but it would boost his campain for sure. <p></p><i></i>
bvonahsen

Re: "Fantasy Hippies"

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:15 pm

Actually, the article's meaning by invoking the mythic shit-throwing hippies of Chicago '68 makes sense as political metaphor even though it comes off as a heavy-handed smear against anti-fascists with the absurd repetition. Yup, many folks do take that image literally. Remember the evil woman-abusing hippie who Forest Gump punches out while in his crisp Vietnam War uniform?<br><br>But the article's point seems to me (in the excerpt I read) that McCain was there hoping for exactly the hostilites equivalent to having dog shit thrown at him to balance out his previous day's appearance at Bob Jones University making kissy-face make up with Jerry Falwell who he has criticised and thus lost a big support network of reich-wing fundamentalists.<br><br>McCain is playing for the 'center' by being too lefty for Falwell's followers and too righty for "the Manhattan's New School university, the sort of progressive institution that awards a master of fine arts in lighting design,'' according to Esquire's author.<br>Silly artists. Practically kooky Californians, sheesh. <br><br>When he didn't get adequately beaten up (with "dog shit") there the tactic failed although the Mockingbird press played it up as what it was meant to be, a brilliant positioning tactic. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=hughmanateewins>Hugh Manatee Wins</A> at: 7/14/06 7:21 pm<br></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Deep Politics