Transcript: Bush and Blair's unguarded chat

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Transcript: Bush and Blair's unguarded chat

Postby dugoboy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:14 pm

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5188258.stm" target="top"><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">Transcript: Bush and Blair's unguarded chat</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END--></a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>Bush: Yo, Blair. How are you doing? <br><br>Blair: I'm just... <br><br>Bush: You're leaving? <br><br>Blair: No, no, no not yet. On this trade thingy...[indistinct] <br><br>Bush: Yeah, I told that to the man. <br><br>Blair: Are you planning to say that here or not? <br><br>Bush: If you want me to. <br><br>Blair: Well, it's just that if the discussion arises... <br><br>Bush: I just want some movement. <br><br>Blair: Yeah. <br><br>Bush: Yesterday we didn't see much movement.. <br><br>Blair: No, no, it may be that it's not, it may be that it's impossible. <br><br>Bush: I am prepared to say it. <br><br>Blair: But it's just I think that we need to be an opposition... <br><br>Bush: Who is introducing the trade? <br><br>Blair: Angela [Merkel, the German Chancellor] <br><br>Bush: Tell her to call 'em. <br><br>Blair: Yes <br><br>Bush: Tell her to put him on, them on the spot. <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Thanks for the sweater - it's awfully thoughtful of you.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> <br><br>Blair: It's a pleasure. <br><br>Bush: <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>I know you picked it out yourself.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> <br><br>Blair: <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Oh absolutely - in fact I knitted it!</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>(laughter) <br><br>Bush: What about Kofi? [Annan] - he seems all right. I don't like his ceasefire plan. His attitude is basically ceasefire and everything sorts out.... But I think... <br><br>Blair: Yeah, no I think the [ceasefire] is really difficult. We can't stop this unless you get this international business agreed. <br><br>Bush: Yeah. <br><br>Blair: I don't know what you guys have talked about, but as I say I am perfectly happy to try and see what the lie of the land is, but you need that done quickly because otherwise it will spiral. <br><br>Bush: I think Condi [US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice] is going to go pretty soon. <br><br>Blair: But that's, that's, that's all that matters. But if you... you see it will take some time to get that together. <br><br>Bush: Yeah, yeah. <br><br>Blair: But at least it gives people... <br><br>Bush: It's a process, I agree. I told her your offer to... <br><br>Blair: Well... it's only if I mean... you know. If she's got a..., or if she needs the ground prepared as it were... Because obviously if she goes out she's got to succeed, if it were, whereas I can go out and just talk. <br><br>Bush: You see the irony is what they need to do is get Syria, to get Hezbollah to stop doing this shit and it's all over... <br><br>Blair: [indistinct] <br><br>Bush: [indistinct] <br><br>Blair: Dunno... Syria.... <br><br>Bush: Why? <br><br>Blair: Because I think this is all part of the same thing... <br><br>Bush: (with mouth full of bread) Yeah <br><br>Blair: Look - what does he think? He thinks if Lebanon turns out fine. If you get a solution in Israel and Palestine, Iraq goes in the right way <br><br>Bush: Yeah, yeah, he is sweet. <br><br>Blair: He is honey. And that's what the whole thing is about. It's the same with Iraq. <br><br>Bush: I felt like telling Kofi to call, to get on the phone to Assad and make something happen. <br><br>Blair: Yeah <br><br>Bush: [indistinct] <br><br>Blair: [indistinct] <br><br>Bush: We are not blaming the Lebanese government. <br><br>Blair: Is this [on]...? [Blair taps the microphone in front of him and the sound is cut.] <br><br> <p>___________________________________________<br>"BUSHCO aren't incompetent...they are COMPLICIT." -Me<br><br>"Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act" -George Orwell</p><i></i>
dugoboy

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Deep Politics