In Case I Disappear

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

In Case I Disappear

Postby professorpan » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:14 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/092906J.shtml">www.truthout.org/docs_2006/092906J.shtml</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>In Case I Disappear<br><br>By William Rivers Pitt<br><br>t r u t h o u t | Perspective<br><br> Friday 29 September 2006<br><br> I have been told a thousand times at least, in the years I have spent reporting on the astonishing and repugnant abuses, lies and failures of the Bush administration, to watch my back. "Be careful," people always tell me. "These people are capable of anything. Stay off small planes, make sure you aren't being followed." A running joke between my mother and me is that she has a "safe room" set up for me in her cabin in the woods, in the event I have to flee because of something I wrote or said.<br><br> I always laughed and shook my head whenever I heard this stuff. Extreme paranoia wrapped in the tinfoil of conspiracy, I thought. This is still America, and these Bush fools will soon pass into history, I thought. I am a citizen, and the First Amendment hasn't yet been red-lined, I thought.<br><br> Matters are different now.<br><br> It seems, perhaps, that the people who warned me were not so paranoid. It seems, perhaps, that I was not paranoid enough. Legislation passed by the Republican House and Senate, legislation now marching up to the Republican White House for signature, has shattered a number of bedrock legal protections for suspects, prisoners, and pretty much anyone else George W. Bush deems to be an enemy.<br><br> So much of this legislation is wretched on the surface. Habeas corpus has been suspended for detainees suspected of terrorism or of aiding terrorism, so the Magna Carta-era rule that a person can face his accusers is now gone. Once a suspect has been thrown into prison, he does not have the right to a trial by his peers. Suspects cannot even stand in representation of themselves, another ancient protection, but must accept a military lawyer as their defender.<br><br> Illegally-obtained evidence can be used against suspects, whether that illegal evidence was gathered abroad or right here at home. To my way of thinking, this pretty much eradicates our security in persons, houses, papers, and effects, as stated in the Fourth Amendment, against illegal searches and seizures.<br><br> Speaking of collecting evidence, the torture of suspects and detainees has been broadly protected by this new legislation. While it tries to delineate what is and is not acceptable treatment of detainees, in the end, it gives George W. Bush the final word on what constitutes torture. US officials who use cruel, inhumane or degrading treatment to extract information from detainees are now shielded from prosecution.<br><br> It was two Supreme Court decisions, Hamdi v. Rumsfeld and Hamdan v. Rumsfeld, that compelled the creation of this legislation. The Hamdi decision held that a prisoner has the right of habeas corpus, and can challenge his detention before an impartial judge. The Hamdan decision held that the military commissions set up to try detainees violated both the Uniform Code of Military Justice and the Geneva Conventions.<br><br> In short, the Supreme Court wiped out virtually every legal argument the Bush administration put forth to defend its extraordinary and dangerous behavior. The passage of this legislation came after a scramble by Republicans to paper over the torture and murder of a number of detainees. As columnist Molly Ivins wrote on Wednesday, "Of the over 700 prisoners sent to Gitmo, only 10 have ever been formally charged with anything. Among other things, this bill is a CYA for torture of the innocent that has already taken place."<br><br> It seems almost certain that, at some point, the Supreme Court will hear a case to challenge the legality of this legislation, but even this is questionable. If a detainee is not allowed access to a fair trial or to the evidence against him, how can he bring a legal challenge to a court? The legislation, in anticipation of court challenges like Hamdi and Hamdan, even includes severe restrictions on judicial review over the legislation itself.<br><br> The Republicans in Congress have managed, at the behest of Mr. Bush, to draft a bill that all but erases the judicial branch of the government. Time will tell whether this aspect, along with all the others, will withstand legal challenges. If such a challenge comes, it will take time, and meanwhile there is this bill. All of the above is deplorable on its face, indefensible in a nation that prides itself on Constitutional rights, protections and the rule of law.<br><br> Underneath all this, however, is where the paranoia sets in.<br><br> Underneath all this is the definition of "enemy combatant" that has been established by this legislation. An "enemy combatant" is now no longer just someone captured "during an armed conflict" against our forces. Thanks to this legislation, George W. Bush is now able to designate as an "enemy combatant" anyone who has "purposefully and materially supported hostilities against the United States."<br><br> Consider that language a moment. "Purposefully and materially supported hostilities against the United States" is in the eye of the beholder, and this administration has proven itself to be astonishingly impatient with criticism of any kind. The broad powers given to Bush by this legislation allow him to capture, indefinitely detain, and refuse a hearing to any American citizen who speaks out against Iraq or any other part of the so-called "War on Terror."<br><br> If you write a letter to the editor attacking Bush, you could be deemed as purposefully and materially supporting hostilities against the United States. If you organize or join a public demonstration against Iraq, or against the administration, the same designation could befall you. One dark-comedy aspect of the legislation is that senators or House members who publicly disagree with Bush, criticize him, or organize investigations into his dealings could be placed under the same designation. In effect, Congress just gave Bush the power to lock them up.<br><br> By writing this essay, I could be deemed an "enemy combatant." It's that simple, and very soon, it will be the law. I always laughed when people told me to be careful. I'm not laughing anymore.<br><br> In case I disappear, remember this. America is an idea, a dream, and that is all. We have borders and armies and citizens and commerce and industry, but all this merely makes us like every other nation on this Earth. What separates us is the idea, the simple idea, that life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are our organizing principles. We can think as we please, speak as we please, write as we please, worship as we please, go where we please. We are protected from the kinds of tyranny that inspired our creation as a nation in the first place.<br><br> That was the idea. That was the dream. It may all be over now, but once upon a time, it existed. No good idea ever truly dies. The dream was here, and so was I, and so were you. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: In Case I Disappear

Postby AlicetheCurious » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:38 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The dream was here, and so was I, and so were you.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br>If that's not a challenge, I don't know what is. <p></p><i></i>
AlicetheCurious

Postby professorpan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:16 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>If that's not a challenge, I don't know what is.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Word. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Postby sunny » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:28 am

I know this may sound over-the-top paranoid, but I wrote a letter to my family in Feb. 2001, urging them not to believe I had left on my own, in case I disappeared. I knew where Bush would lead us and I was not wrong. The publications I read, the books I bought, where I went on the internet, the things I said to my family, friends, and neighbors, all added up to a sense of certainty that I would be considered an enemy.<br><br>Well, I am. I am an enemy of this criminal administration, and all it's members.<br><br>Sadistic Frat Boy- inbred, arrogant, moronic, megolomaniac, lacking any semblence of integrity. Utterly bereft of empathy, compassion, or decency.<br><br>Dark Overlord- soulless, ruthless, rotten, a worm-ridden phsyche who would sell his mother and children if it bought him any kind of filthy satisfaction.<br><br>Hideous Troll- egomaniacal, delighting in brutality and sadism, this one would murder you just for the joy of watching you die.<br><br>Black Eva Braun- willing to submit to any humiliation to serve her ambition, she would eat Boosh's shit if he wanted her to.<br><br>These are the people who are in power over us, who care not a whit if we starved and rotted in the street. Damn right, I AM YOUR ENEMY.<br><br> I don't want you to be murdered. God save us from a media martrydom of any one of you worthless sub-humans. I want you, ALL OF YOU, to be arrested and charged with crimes against humanity, convicted, and the fate of Hiter's spawn of evil to be visited upon you. This is what you deserve, your rotten corpses to be put up as an example in front of all mankind, utterly defeated, completely humiliated, your agenda's and dark crimes burned to dust, and and all of you relegated to ridicule and the same amount of pity given you that you have shown the rest of the world.<br><br><br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby postrchild » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:46 am

damn that was great Sunny! Couldnt have said it anywhere close to that good though......<br><br>all I can say is <br><br><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="font-size:xx-large;"><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline"><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>DITTO</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--></span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END--></span><!--EZCODE FONT END--> <p></p><i></i>
postrchild

Postby vigilantwarrior » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:58 am

Yes, brave words. Here is another statement of defiance. I don't know the author's alliances, but the adrenaline does surge:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://smokingmirrors.blogspot.com/2006/09/38-days-and-dear-george-letter.html">smokingmirrors.blogspot.c...etter.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I just want to go on record and say I know what you’re up to. I know you are the bad guys and that there is no Al Qaeda except the one you created. I want to let you know that I know that Bin Laden has been dead for a long time. I want you to know that I know that the London Bombings and the Madrid Bombing and the 9/11 attack were all done by the same people for the same reasons.<br><br>I want you to know that I know how big your investment is and that you cannot afford to go gentle into that good night; that you cannot afford to lose and that you will do anything, ANYTHING, to make sure that you do not lose. <br><br>I want you to know that I know you have stolen every election since 2000. I know all about Diebold. I know that they make the ATM machines that hardly ever fail and that always give a paper receipt. I know that there is hard cold proof of all of this now and I also know why it never gets into the main stream media. I know that one of you is the other’s whore but I don’t know exactly what it is you do for each other in the darkness.<br><br>I know that the whole intention of the Afghanistan war has more to do with the Opium flow than anything else and I know that all of the bad management of the Iraq conflict; everything that ‘seems’ like an accident, is intentional and designed to create the opportunity to finally bomb the living shit out of the whole area. I know why Afghanistan was first and Iraq second and I know this is about hemming in Iran and what you plan to do there shortly. I know all of this and a great many others do too. There are far too many of us for you to kill us all.<br><br>What I don’t know is just what Mohammed Atta and several other alleged hi-jackers were doing on Jack Abramoff’s gambling boat. I know they were there because the FBI says so. No, I don’t know why they were there but I can guess. I don’t know how far Dick Cheney has his hand up your ass. I do know that it’s far enough to tickle your tonsils into speech when the need is there. It might not be far enough to reach your brain but, then again, it is quite possible that that is just an empty space where Dick waves to people now and then through your eyes. I do know why your eyes are brown and if they don’t look brown then I know why you wear contacts.<br><br>I know you are a coward and that if both you and Dick were put into a cell with me that I would have you both wearing denim skirts and make-up and calling me Daddy in less than twenty-four hours; but that’s not my métier. I’m not like you; that’s something else I know.<br><br>The real purpose of this letter George is to let you know that I’m not afraid of you and that I speak for a whole lot of people that can’t speak for themselves. I speak for the people that are too dead and too afraid to speak. I speak for those trapped into silence by the presence of jobs and families and the ordinary fear of the mortal state. I speak like V in Vendetta and the sounds that howl in the atmosphere from outrage over what you have said and done. I’m not St. George but, then again, you’re no real dragon either. You’re a punk in an expensive suit. You’re an inarticulate mouth breather; a fool and an embarrassment and a murdering thug hiding behind an army of your betters.<br><br>This is just to tell you George that I am not alone and there will never come a time when there will not be many like me. So, you may pull it off again. Then again, you might not. Sooner or later, you are going down and you are going down hard, into a well deserved ignominy and as an object lesson to the whole world about what happens when they don’t pay attention or back the wrong horse.<br><br>I’m not afraid of your torture or your false impressions of omnipotence and force. I fear far more the unbearable torture of my silence and complacency. I fear what I would become if I ever demurred to speak out against your venal, fascist ass. The day is coming George. The clock that ticks for these 38 days is also ticking toward another date. I hope you’ll have your best suit on for that day. I hope you’ll look your best when the carriage arrives and the doorbell rings.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
vigilantwarrior

Postby postrchild » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:30 am

<!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:orange;font-size:xx-large;"><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline"><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Ditto x 2</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--></span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END--></span><!--EZCODE FONT END--> <p></p><i></i>
postrchild

Postby sunny » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:12 pm

pastrchild and vigilantwarrior, thank you for your kind words. I just thought it important to make sure <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>no one</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> was under any misapprehension about where I stand. <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:49 pm

I've had 'The Talk' with my Wife and my Grandfather.<br><br>Neither were very pleased about it. <p>____________________<br>Wehret den Anfängen</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby sunny » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:19 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/14/AR2006021402125.html">www.washingtonpost.com/wp...02125.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Rights Groups Say Database May Include Innocent People<br><br>By Walter Pincus and Dan Eggen<br>Washington Post Staff Writers<br>Wednesday, February 15, 2006; Page A01<br><br>The National Counterterrorism Center maintains a central repository of 325,000 names of international terrorism suspects or people who allegedly aid them, a number that has more than quadrupled since the fall of 2003, according to counterterrorism officials.<br><br>The list kept by the National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC) -- created in 2004 to be the primary U.S. terrorism intelligence agency -- contains a far greater number of international terrorism suspects and associated names in a single government database than has previously been disclosed. Because the same person may appear under different spellings or aliases, the true number of people is estimated to be more than 200,000, according to NCTC officials.<br><br><br>Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales said last week that information is used in a way that protects the "privacy interests of all Americans." (By Michel Ducille -- The Washington Post) <br><br> <br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>U.S. citizens make up "only a very, very small fraction" of that number, said an administration official,</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of his agency's policies. "The vast majority are non-U.S. persons and do not live in the U.S.," he added. An NCTC official refused to say how many on the list -- put together from reports supplied by the CIA, the FBI, the National Security Agency (NSA) and other agencies -- are U.S. citizens.<br><br>[ sunny: ah yes, those paragons of truth-telling are assuring us...]<br><br>The NSA is a key provider of information for the NCTC database, although officials refused to say how many names on the list are linked to the agency's controversial domestic eavesdropping effort. Under the program, the NSA has conducted wiretaps on an unknown number of U.S. citizens without warrants.<br><br>more....<br> <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Postby postrchild » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:32 pm

I'm sure these lists are automated like Echelon or something with keywords or phrases, like "bomb", "hijack", "explode", "blow up", "Bush", "shoot", "kill", "Allah", "jihad" etc.....<br><br>Just an excuse to bust my dad for asking me to smuggle him some pot in the mail......but these days I have to turn him down. Thats "supporting" terrorism ya know? <p></p><i></i>
postrchild

On Credibility

Postby robertdreed » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:06 pm

"Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales said last week that information is used in a way that protects the "privacy interests of all Americans." (By Michel Ducille -- The Washington Post)<br><br><br>U.S. citizens make up "only a very, very small fraction" of that number, said an administration official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of his agency's policies. "The vast majority are non-U.S. persons and do not live in the U.S.," he added."<br><br>Given the track record, why should anyone believe a word out of the mouths of any of these people? <br><br>Frankly, at this point I think that it's irresponsible journalism to simply rotely repeat the reassurances provided by any spokesperson in the Bush regime. <br><br>If I were a newspaper editor, every time I quoted one of them, I'd include a caveat noting that they've blatantly lied repeatedly on matters about which they have no defense of ignorance or confusion about the question. I'd publically make an issue of their credibility at every press conference, and advertise a policy of refusing to print any of their quotes without bringing up that FACT. That isn't "editorializing" or "interpretation." It's FACT. <br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=robertdreed>robertdreed</A> at: 10/6/06 5:13 pm<br></i>
robertdreed

Did I not hear somewhere ?

Postby slimmouse » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:25 pm

ignore......my dumb ! <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=slimmouse@rigorousintuition>slimmouse</A> at: 10/6/06 5:29 pm<br></i>
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Did I not hear somewhere ?

Postby sunny » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:42 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Frankly, at this point I think that it's irresponsible journalism to simply rotely repeat the reassurances provided by any spokesperson in the Bush regime.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br>You got that right. <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Return to Deep Politics