French "judge"/investigator killed in Djibouti

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

French "judge"/investigator killed in Djibouti

Postby pepsified thinker » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:01 am

Anyone know what's up with this? <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5398454.stm">news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5398454.stm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Warrants for Djibouti judge death<br>France has issued arrest warrants for two top Djibouti officials in connection with the mysterious death of a French judge in 1995.<br>Djibouti Chief Prosecutor Djama Souleiman and security chief Hassan Said are accused of interfering with witnesses in the investigation.<br><br>The burnt body of Bernard Borrel was found in just a T-shirt and underpants.<br><br>Djibouti authorities initially said his death was a suicide, but his widow says he was assassinated.<br><br>At the time of his death, Borrel was acting as a consultant to the Djibouti justice ministry.<br><br>France and Djibouti are close allies, with Djibouti hosting France's largest overseas military base, as well as a US anti-terror task force.<br><br>"The magistrates are showing that they are not afraid to seek the truth even if it is displeasing to the political authorities of France and Djibouti," said Olivier Morice, a lawyer for the Borrel family.<br><br>But Mr Said told the AFP news agency that Djibouti would not recognise the warrants.<br><br>"Djibouti will never bow to the wishes of the French justice in which my country no longer has confidence."<br><br>Earlier this year, Djibouti asked the International Court of Justice to rule that French investigators did not have the right to summon high-level witnesses, as they enjoyed diplomatic immunity.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>I've always joked about the head of Djibouti's government--that he used to have the title "Shiek Djibouti"--but some time during the disco era, they changed to something else (shake-shake-shake!) <br><br>...but maybe I'll have to take them a little more seriously. <p></p><i></i>
pepsified thinker

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Deep Politics