LSU hurricane expert on CNN just estimated 100,000 drowned

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

re: words

Postby Starman » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:05 am

Dreams End said:<br><br>"He said: 80 percent left before the storm. 250,000 or so remain. 20 - 30,000 in shelters plus a couple thousand rescued leaves a LOT of missing people. <br><br>I don't know where the 80 percent number comes from. This expert was quoting city or state officials and simply taking them at their word."<br><br>****<br>I hate to be so cynical, but my suspician is -- we'll NEVER get an accurate figure of those who drowned or succumbed from dehydration or untreated medical conditions. An 'official' figure with a minimal 'unknown' factor, from the incredible, impossible difficulty of eventual body-recovery complicated by perhaps a month of optimal waterlogged decay, means that there will be some uncertainty, which the PTB will likely under-report to reduce the Public perception of this catastrophe -- something like the Pentagon is probably, most likely doing with American and greencard troops wounded or KIA.<br><br>Good GawD, but the parallel between Katrina Storm damage with tragic, horrible loss of life and destruction in Baghdad and Iraq is striking, now Americans facing many of the same critical lack of supplies, destruction of infrastructure, unrelieved suffering, confusion, anxiety and desperation ... 'Situation now untenable' -- said by CNN's Jeff Goldblatt earlier last night as people are still wandering around with no aid or information in sight.<br><br>Starman <p></p><i></i>
Starman

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: re: words

Postby Dreams End » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:25 am

Starman,<br><br>Yes, I am not suspicious...I am certain we won't know the numbers. Rumors of far greater casualties will quickly be put on the state department's disinfo list. <br><br>See my post under New Orleans Martial law. CNN reporter called in from a payphone (!) to say that there were simply thousands of people sitting around with no water and absolutely NO idea where to go. One helicopter with a loudspeaker...just ONE, would start a process of giving these people some chance of rescue. <br><br>But you must read what I wrote about Chertoff spending air time to push "National Preparedness Month." UNBELIEVABLE. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Worse and worse

Postby Dreams End » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:39 am

An editorial from a Biloxi paper. <br><br>First, an excerpt. Do not be near anything fragile as you will likely want to break something:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"reporters listening to horrific stories of death and survival at the Biloxi Junior High School shelter looked north across Irish Hill Road and saw Air Force personnel playing basketball and performing calisthenics."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Here's the full text of the editorial quoted at Editor and Publisher:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The coastal communities of South Mississippi are desperately in need of an unprecedented relief effort.<br>We understand that New Orleans also was devastated by Hurricane Katrina, but surely this nation has the resources to rescue both that metropolitan and ours.<br><br>Whatever plans that were in place to deal with such a natural disaster have proven inadequate. Perhaps destruction on this scale could not have been adequately prepared for.<br><br>But now that it has taken place, no effort should be spared to mitigate the hurricane's impact.<br><br>The essentials -- ice, gasoline, medicine -- simply are not getting here fast enough.<br><br>We are not calling on the nation and the state to make life more comfortable in South Mississippi, we are calling on the nation and the state to make life here possible.<br><br>We would bolster our argument with the number of Katrina casualties confirmed thus far, but if there is such a confirmed number, no one is releasing it to the public. This lack of faith in the publics' ability to handle the truth is not sparing anyone's feelings, it is instead fueling terrifying rumors.<br><br>While the flow of information is frustratingly difficult, our reporters have yet to find evidence of a coordinated approach to relieve pain and hunger or to secure property and maintain order.<br><br>People are hurting and people are being vandalized.<br><br>Yet where is the National Guard, why hasn't every able-bodied member of the armed forces in South Mississippi been pressed into service?<br><br>On Wednesday reporters listening to horrific stories of death and survival at the Biloxi Junior High School shelter looked north across Irish Hill Road and saw Air Force personnel playing basketball and performing calisthenics.<br><br>Playing basketball and performing calisthenics!<br><br>When asked why these young men were not being used to help in the recovery effort, our reporters were told that it would be pointless to send military personnel down to the beach to pick up debris.<br><br>Litter is the least of our problems. We need the president to back up his declaration of a disaster with a declaration of every man and woman under his command will do whatever is necessary to deal with that disaster.<br><br>We need the governor to provide whatever assistance is at his command.<br><br>We certainly need our own county and city officials to come together and identify the most pressing needs of their constituents and then allocate resources to meet those needs. We appreciate the stress that theses elected and appointed officials have been under since the weekend but they must do a better job restoring public confidence in their ability to meet this challenge. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>I had just written that surely the many soldiers at the many military bases in the area would be chomping at the bit to help. Guess I was wrong. <br> <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

re: Worse and Worse

Postby Starman » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:30 pm

Simply amazing, unprecedented levels of idiocy.<br>Thanks for that story, DE; That editorial is right-on. At a minimum, I'd say the National Guard and military ought to be taking a pro-active role in relief and damage-clearing, setting-up supply distribution and emergency shelter camps -- And couldn't jobs clearing damage and building be coordinated for those who have lost everything? Fer chrisakes, what a huge labor-force that could be put to constructive use, plus giving able-bodied people made refugees an opportunity to begin working constructively on urgently-needed tasks, rebuilding their devastated lives.<br><br>But WHY isn't the Mississippi river being used to aid evacuation, with ships? Or Lake Ponchetrain, which is actually closest to the farthest-reaches of the submerged city? Is anything being done like this?<br><br>My earliest, first thoughts when the situation of New Orleans flooding became an issue, I realized it HAD to be a priority to set-up temporary staging centers, refugee camps, where evacuated citizens from NO could be taken quickly OUT of the city -- this would have freed-up buses and trucks to make much more frequent trips to the Superdome. Getting people MOVING on a sufficiently-large scale is CRITICAL, to prevent the situation from spiralling out of control. Now, perhaps fueled by desperation and outrage over the utter breakdown in communication, people not being told what to do, what to expect, how to get their urgent critical needs taken care of, someone took some shots at a military helicopter, they've suspended evacuation efforts.<br><br>???? Those were the reports -- now they're apparently back-up.<br><br>But the evacuation and search-and-rescue is simply much too little -- the lack of effective response is incredible.<br><br>I guess I appreciate the reluctance of officials from setting-up refugee camps, but they absolutely HAD to know how essential it would be to streamline the process of recovery and use resources efficiently -- the kind of massive evacuation needed to rescue and relocate the refugees of New Orleans is just NOT happening -- a huge bottleneck of inefficient use of busses -- on top of the idiocy that when the levee-break was known, that EVERY effort all day Monday wasn't made to at LEAST repark the NO school busses so they wouldn't get flooded -- that is the model for me of poor-thinking, and plain incompetance. In fact, it maybe criminal, considering the additional burden that poor decision-making placed on other resources. Those busses should have been immediately been put to shuttling people out of the city.<br><br>Ah, my heart is aching. I keep thinking about the children and sick and disabled folks trapped in the farthest reaches of the city -- I'm not assured any emergency relief efforts have been made for them, how many who survived the flooding are now close to dying from dehydration or illness, or now even hunger. FEMA has authority to temporarily appropriate whatever emergency equipment and supplies they need -- as the more resourceful police officials have been forced to scavenge and appropriate private vehicles to keep providing services.<br><br>This sure shows how fragile our society is. But heads sure should roll over the incredible incompetance shown with inadequate response.<br><br>Chertoff's foolish promoting Terrorism Alertness -- I'm wordless. As stupid as New Orleans police being directed to restore law and order -- they need to evacuate the whole frigging city!<br><br>And GAWD I find the commercials so incredibly tasteless and vapid and insulting -- I've never watched so much news since 911 -- and the quality of news coverage is sometimes so fucking awful -- But CNN just showed, FINALLY, a heartbreaking report by Chris Warren from the convention center, describing what I had suspected, uncounted thousands of desperate people waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting for help and busses, with no food and water, living under absolutely deplorable, filthy conditions, people literally dying for want of attention, and NO information or officials at all, occasional militia-troops driving by in armoured vehicles in a show of force, but the utter lack of ANYTHING being done -- ???? God, I hope somebody with authority is watching or others will call them to task -- They need an IMMEDIATE drop of emergency water and food and force on-the-ground to coordinate rescue -- I just can't believe the degree of ineptness.<br><br>Enormous resources are so stupidly engaged in Iraq and in some 1000 foreign military bases, and obviously lacking to help the Gulf and NO folks. But for Chrisakes --There ARE such things as jet boats and flat-bottomed skiffs and barges -- the Navy has hundreds if not thousands of suitable boats -- there just isn't the will or effort to make use of what's needed because apparently the poor people aren't a high priority for this administration. GodDAMN but people need to take notice.<br><br>(sorry, I'm just so outraged I needed to rant).<br>I STILL say it was criminal to not have heavy-lift helicopters on-hand within 12 hours capable of dropping some big stiff into the levee breaks -- all I see is a lot of officials passing-off responsibility and excusing the lack of effective response while people are dying. Inexcusable. This lack of leadership is a direct Bush legacy.<br>Starman<br><br>And again -- they need to drop some 10 to 20,000 gallons of fresh water to those areas where people have been stranded. NOW!!!!<br><br>(And WHY is CNN showing stale day-old video images -- don't they have any news-copters in the air or crews on the ground?) <p></p><i></i>
Starman

911 Is A Joke

Postby proldic » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:24 pm

Hit me<br>Going, going, gone<br><br>Now I dialed 911 a long time ago<br>Don't you see how late they're reactin'<br>They only come and they come when they wanna<br>So get the morgue embalm the goner<br><br>They don't care 'cause they stay paid anyway<br>They teach ya like an ace they can't be betrayed<br>I know you stumble with no use people<br>If your life is on the line they you're dead today<br><br>Late comings with the late comin' stretcher<br>That's a body bag in disguise y'all betcha<br>I call 'em body snatchers quick they come to fetch ya?<br>With an autopsy ambulance just to dissect ya<br><br>They are the kings 'cause they swing amputation<br>Lose your arms, your legs to them it's compilation<br>I can prove it to you watch the rotation<br>It all adds up to a funky situation<br><br>So get up get, get get down<br>911 is a joke in yo town<br>Get up, get, get, get down<br>Late 911 wears the late crown<br><br>911 is a joke<br><br>Everyday they don't never come correct<br>You can ask my man right here with the broken neck<br>He's a witness to the job never bein' done<br>He would've been in full in 8 9-11<br>Was a joke 'cause they always jokin'<br>They the token to your life when it's croakin'<br>They need to be in a pawn shop on a<br>911 is a joke we don't want 'em<br><br>I call a cab 'cause a cab will come quicker<br>The doctors huddle up and call a flea flicker<br>The reason that I say that 'cause they<br>Flick you off like fleas<br>They be laughin' at ya while you're crawlin' on your knees<br>And to the strength so go the length<br>Thinkin' you are first when you really are tenth<br>You better wake up and smell the real flavor<br>Cause 911 is a fake life saver<br><br>So get up, get, get get down<br>911 is a joke in yo town<br>Get up, get, get, get down<br>Late 911 wears the late crown<br><br>Ow, ow 911 is a joke <br> <br> <p></p><i></i>
proldic

Milquetoast Rapper Steps Up

Postby proldic » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:45 pm

Cherry Creek News (CO) Friday, 02 September 2005 <br><br>Written by Guerin Green <br><br>Kayne West, in the middle of an otherwise solemn Red Cross telethon, uttered the incendiary phrase, "George Bush does not care about black people." <br><br>Given the observed shortcomings of the Katrina relief effort, one has to at least consider that there is a grain of truth in West's remarks. And apparently, NBC, the network producing the star-studded event, must have been pretty uncomfortable, as the whole segment with West and comedian Mike Myers was deleted from the program as it was televised in the Mountain time zone. <br><br>And as the pain of New Orleans is visited upon the nation, one of the ghosts will be the truth of Kayne West's words. Whether real or an apparition, they will haunt us all. <br><br>cherrycreeknews.com<br><br> <br> <p></p><i></i>
proldic

Re: Milquetoast Rapper Steps Up

Postby antiaristo » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:08 pm

prol,<br>They may have cut it in Mountain, but they showed it here in Spain.<br>The racism is absolutely evident to the rest of the world. <p></p><i></i>
antiaristo

Previous

Return to Katrina and Aftermath