Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Martial law in New Orleans

Postby chiggerbit » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:56 pm

Fallujah <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Blog: View Blog (0)

Yep...UK Guardian Nails it

Postby Dreams End » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:02 pm

'They're not giving us what we need to survive'<br><br>Jamie Doward reports on the fury of New Orleans residents who say they were ignored and mistreated by the authorities<br><br>Sunday September 4, 2005<br>The Observer<br><br>Only now, a week after Hurricane Katrina roared across the Deep South, leaving a trail of devastation across America's psyche, is the true story of the Battle of New Orleans emerging.<br><br>As convoys of commandeered school buses and Greyhound coaches transported tens of thousands of refugees out of the submerged city yesterday, in a belated and much-criticised relief operation, each vehicle brought with it new tales of horror.<br><br>Those trapped inside the two main shelters, the Superdome and the Convention Centre, paint a picture of a city that was subsumed beneath waves of violence, rape and death and accuse the police and National Guard of standing by, ignoring their pleas for help.<br><br>The claims are rejected by the federal and state authorities, who instead suggest the looting and lawlessness which followed the extensive flooding of the city was the result of a series of isolated incidents perpetrated by a few.<br><br>But it is clear from talking to survivors that what happened in New Orleans last week was far more extensive, bloody and terrifying than the authorities have admitted so far.<br><br>'We had to wrap dead people in white sheets and throw them outside while the police stood by and did nothing,' said Correll Williams, a 19-year-old meat cutter from the Crowder Road district in the east of the city, who waded two miles through waist-high water to make it to the Convention Centre after hearing on the radio it was being turned into a refuge.<br><br>'The police were in boats watching us. They were just laughing at us. Five of them to a boat, not trying to help nobody. Helicopters were riding by just looking at us. They weren't helping. We were pulling people on bits of wood, and the National Guard would come driving by in their empty military trucks.'<br><br>Williams only left his apartment after the authorities took the decision to flood his district in an apparent attempt to sluice out some of the water that had submerged a neighbouring district. Like hundreds of others he had heard the news of the decision to flood his district on the radio. The authorities had given people in the district until 5pm on Tuesday to get out - after that they would open the floodgates.<br><br>'We thought we could live without electricity for a few weeks because we had food. But then they told us they were opening the floodgates,' said Arineatta Walker, who fled the area with her daughter and two grandchildren.<br><br>'So about two o'clock we went on to the streets and we asked the army, "Where can we go?". And they said, "Just take off because there's no one going to come back for you." They kicked my family out of there. If I knew how to hotwire a car I would have,' Walker said.<br><br>Once inside the Convention Centre, Walker confronted a new hell. 'People were being raped, there were cries and screams, there were gunshots, but the police did nothing,' Walker said.<br><br>'The police were afraid to do anything,' said Chantelle, a black 22- year-old. 'They wouldn't come in. They took two white guys out one night but left the rest of us in here.'<br><br>Williams said: 'The floor was a swamp, you couldn't live in there. The police kept telling us buses were coming but they didn't. People started getting aggravated and then one policeman got mad, he caught an attitude with somebody and they caught an attitude back and started banging on his car, and that's how it started. He called for back-up and the next thing I know the military are down there throwing stun grenades. Everybody started running, bumping into each other, hurting each other.'<br><br>As the repeated promises of buses failed to materialise, people in the shelters started stealing cars. 'How do you expect people to act right when they're starving to death?' asked Williams. 'There were bodies all over. We were just throwing them out the front. They (the authorities) are blaming it on the people, making it look like it was the people's fault, but it's really their fault because they're not giving us what we need to survive. So now people are going and getting guns in order to fight back, in order to survive cos they don't want to help us.'<br><br>Outside the Convention Centre, where an estimated 15,000 people were seeking refuge, bodies lay ignored. A woman in a wheelchair and an elderly man on a chaise longue could be seen festering in the heat. On Wednesday, eight 11-strong teams from the Louisiana State Police entered the centre, where they were repelled by angry gangs, some of whom were armed. Yesterday scores of police officers were said to have resigned from the force, complaining their jobs had become too dangerous.<br><br>Until Friday morning only two buses had arrived at the Convention Centre to transport those inside out of the city, according to several trapped inside. The revelation suggests that the police and National Guard's inability to handle the crisis stemmed from chronic paralysis at the highest levels of the relief operation.<br><br>Outside the Superdome, which was at one stage home to some 25,000 people, a member of the National Guard was shot in the leg by his own gun as he was rushed by a crowd angry at the wait for buses to take them to Houston.<br><br>The authorities' failure to respond to the situation has prompted outpourings of national revulsion and calls for high-level resignations.<br><br>There was confusion yesterday as to why thousands of people had made for the Convention Centre. Officials said it was never intended that the centre be used as a refuge.<br><br>Michael Brown, director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the much-criticised body charged with coordinating the relief effort, told US television networks they had not been aware of the crowds in the centre until Thursday.<br><br>'The federal government did not even know about the Convention Centre people until today,' New Orleans major Ray Nagin told CNN on Thursday evening.<br><br>The shock confession prompted calls for Brown to be fired. 'That was just a boneheaded statement,' said Mississippi Democratic Congressman Bennie Thompson. 'The President will have to change the leadership so that a response this bad will never, never happen again for the American people,' Thompson added.<br><br>On Friday evening 1,000 members of the National Guard and 60 police officers arrived outside the centre to restore order.<br><br>The chronic failure to resolve the situation in the Convention Centre - and to a lesser extent the Superdome, where the situation was apparently more calm - was described as a 'national disgrace' by the increasingly angry Nagin.<br><br>'You would think that on day five of the worst natural disaster in the history of the United States, and possibly the world, we would not still be waiting for troops and buses,' Nagin said on Thursday.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1562415,00.html">observer.guardian.co.uk/i...15,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Has anyone seen anything this frank in the US?<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Typography that would get noticed

Postby Ferry Fey » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:12 am

Here's a handy tip for you if you're ever in a situation many ordinary people are in at places like the Astrodome where they've had to deal with the bodies of their fellow prisoners.<br><br>If you can get to the outside and there is a space about 6 by 50 feet, it will only take about 20 bodies to write "HELP US" in block letters.<br><br>One camera in a helicopter seeing that will send that image around the world very, very fast. Not that the Bush administration will give a damn, of course.<br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Ferry Fey

Re: Typography that would get noticed

Postby AnnaLivia » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:25 am

oh, i am a sick, sick woman. Ferry made me laugh out loud with that.<br><br>but, bush doesn't read, remember?<br><br>(and i know you mean the superdome.)<br><br>still on vigil for those yet to be rescued, but am very glad tonight that so many got out today.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
AnnaLivia

Death be not proud

Postby Ferry Fey » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:07 am

I figure that if they want to fuck with our minds, we may as well fuck back.<br><br>I have a soft mushy center, but when stronger action is needed I take no prisoners. Sometimes the greatest patriotism you can show is to bitch-slap your government in front of the whole world.<br><br>Superdome, Astrodome, whateverdome, it's all blending into ThunderDome.<br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Ferry Fey

They're not giving us what we need to survive ...

Postby Starman » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:15 am

Great article alright-- While reading, I was struck by how dead-on honest and informative it was, absent fluff and an agenda-driven angle -- for the most part. Direct and Real. The contrast between it and the MSM's disinfo-reporting is profound, a breath of fresh air.<br><br>"They're not giving us what we need."<br><br>JaySuS, if that isn't the dead-on MO of the Bush-fronted Robber-Baron Corporate Wealth-Parasite Syndicate -- Starve and lock-down the serfs when they become inconvenient distractions -- <br><br>This report has the ring of truth,as it dovetails with bits and pieces we're been reading from other sources, from incommunicative armed troops that refuse to even speak with desperate survivors to answer basic questions or provide instructions, to troops preventing everyone from leaving on their own, to the broken-promises of busses 'coming', to deaf-ears of putative officials to pleas for help and aid for sick and dying, to the hundreds of helicopter overflights and armed-troop drive-bys evidently producing ZERO intelligence about the numbers and evident aid-needs of tens-of-thousands survivors at the Convention center, as per the apparant ignorance of FEMA's Mike Brown and Chertoff and others, to the shut-out of volunteers with their own boats for desperately-needed Search-and-Rescue (and how MANY hundreds, possibly thousands of drownings or exposure resulted from this single criminally-irresponsible -- Consider -- American Citizens were actively PROHIBITED from urgent life-saving missions by a Government Agency that has exhibited a profound degree of ineptitude and irresponsibility and negligance -- I don't think indicting Brown for criminal misfeasance is inappropriate at ALL), to the most fickle pretext of suspending rescue and evac bus operations and discontinuing rescue night-flights (!!! Helos have night-flying capability!!!!!!!!!!) -- and on and on and on.<br><br>The utter, complete lack of feveloping communication with citizens is perhaps the most glaring example of counter-productive, foolish, negligent failure -- there could HARDLY be anything calculated to create more distrust and confusion and resentment, than for so many people desperately hurting to be told NOTHING about what is happening, or why, or what to expect, or what they could do -- But that shows the kind of 'New Army' thinking and Administration Business-as-usual attitude of contempt for the ordinary working-class people -- this is an Afministration and faux-'president' that, as has been repeatedly shown, has ZERO compassion and fellow-feeling for people -- if they aren't actively killing and causing suffering and violating people, they feel out-of-place. Christ, but that's just EVIL.<br><br>I can't believe the Military, who HAD to be coordinating this troop deployment and allocation of resources, as they were providing satellite imagery-analysis and map-making services, HAD to know the effect of surround-and-isolate-and-quarantine policies on these battered, beseiged people -- Pure Psyops, but whether for a distinct program or to experiment with modern 2nd-class crowd-control/troop manipulation? <br><br>And that's another thing -- These initial National Guard troops were probably non-locals, with NO cultural sensitivity or appreciation for Easy Town culture, likely northern-guys from midwest rust-belt steel-towns who probably had a pretty red-neck view of blacks as troublemaking gangstas, or perhaps the stories they were told of (or just 'heard-of) 'rioting crowds' and crackhead dopers using stolen guns taking potshots at Soldiers and Police intended to get them jittery and their back-up, twitching their itchy-trigger-fingers, setting-up a potentially explosive situation -- <br><br>Here's a fascinating example of community-power, a can-do people-oriented attitude of empowerment and courage and resourcefulness that the 'military way' just doesn't encourage and evidently CAN'T duplicate -- it's the contrast between Community activism and the War Games confrontation mentality.<br>While Rivaldo was outraged at bureaucratic incompetance late last night, today, with the air-evac armada removing people at the Convention Center, probably several-thousand per hour, he was praising and glorifying the Military as if they were the salvation of America -- instead of being the Corporate Racketeering enforcment-arm that allows the wealth-elites to pillage and exploit and steal around the world -- Not too much depth or complexity in Rivaldo's political/economic/social analysis. For the most part, he's a faithful, dependable Media schill. He doesn't need to think more than three sentences ahead ...<br>****<br><br>newspaper able to do what FEMA can't <br>with NO offices or equipment, the reporters & staff of the N.O. Times-Pic will resume a PRINT newspaper, which will be distributed INSIDE THE STILL-FLOODED CITY OF NEW ORLEANS, tomorrow:<br>"The Times-Picayune announced today that it plans to resume printing a newspaper tonight in Houma. Since Hurricane Katrina struck on Monday, the paper has published three electronic-only editions on its affiliated Web site, Nola.com.<br>Company executives said they plan to print roughly 50,000 copies Thursday night, using the press of The Houma Courrier, for distribution Friday in parts of the New Orleans metro area that are now inhabited and accessible, including western St. Tammany Parish, and the east and west River Parishes.<br>Copies would also be distributed to Baton Rouge, Hammond, Houma and Thibodeaux, they said." <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times-Picayune/?">www.nola.com/newslogs/bre...Picayune/?</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>i don't know what to say...amazing. <br>by Librarian <br>*<br><br>looters? <br>"In the wake of audits conducted by the Pentagon's Defense Contract Audit Agency which found $1 billion in questioned expenses Halliburton announced that its KBR division experienced a 284 percent increase in operating profits during the second quarter of this year."<br>by hhex65 <br>*<br><br>Special Father-son Presidential 'Music-makers' moment --<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.edicius.org/pic_dump/father-son.jpg">www.edicius.org/pic_dump/father-son.jpg</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>*<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/8/30/162831/182">www.dailykos.com/story/20...162831/182</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>Story told of Edgar Kaiser running Henry J's industrial empire. On a dam job in So America, a berm breached and enormous amounts of water were streaming through. He took personal charge, after flying in in his jet, and personally directed the dropping of rail cars into the chasm. Slowed it down enough to fill in with boulders. Didn't sit around and debate about it. Knew what he was doing and took action. Is nobody around like that?<br>by NorCalJim <br><br><br>*** <br>Starman <p></p><i></i>
Starman

Fearing riots, Guard rejects food airdrops

Postby DrDebugDU » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:24 am

ARLINGTON, Va. — Authorities are avoiding airdropping provisions into New Orleans — the traditional way of supplying disaster victims — out of fear of sparking riots, a state official said.<br><br>While the military has used helicopters to drop provisions to some stranded in New Orleans, authorities have not launched the massive supply airdrops seen in Afghanistan at the beginning of Operation Enduring Freedom.<br><br>Airdropping supplies could actually worsen the situation, said Army National Guard Lt. Kevin Cowan, with the state Office of Emergency Preparedness. “Just like Afghanistan, you drop food, it creates chaos,” Cowan said.<br><br>He said authorities are looking for a more controlled way to get badly need food and other supplies to people in the hurricane-ravaged region who need it.<br><br>“We’re trying to logistically to plan how to get food the best way,” Cowan said. “But as of right now, airdrops are not part of the plan.”<br><br>He said dropping supplies from the air is an option that is still available, but “I don’t think that is high on the priority list.”<br><br>Officials at U.S. Northern Command and Task Force Katrina could not be reached in time for publication Friday.<br><br>Little Rock Air Force Base is home to about 80 C-130s, but many cannot be flown because of wing cracks, wrote a spokesman for the 314th Air Wing in an e-mail.<br><br>On Friday, four C-130s from Little Rock Air Force Base were expected to bring water and MREs to the flood region and to evacuate refugees, wrote Air National Guard Capt. David Faggard.<br><br>The Arkansas National Guard is using 10 C-130s and 15 helicopters to bring troops and supplies to the flood region, said a National Guard spokeswoman.<br><br>Should authorities order an airdrop, “we are certainly ready if that’s what they need us for,” said Air National Guard Capt. Kristine Munn.<br><br>From October to December 2001, the Air Force dropped 2.5 million individual rations in Afghanistan using C-17 Globemaster aircraft based in Ramstein, Germany.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?article=31346§ion=104">www.stripes.com/article.a...ection=104</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
DrDebugDU

Re: Fearing riots, Guard rejects food airdrops

Postby DrDebugDU » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:37 am

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>You're on your own, Britain's victims told</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Mark Townsend<br>Sunday September 4, 2005<br>The Observer<br><br>British families trapped in New Orleans last night claimed that US authorities had refused to evacuate them as Hurricane Katrina approached the city.<br><br>Although assistance was offered to US residents, British nationals were told they would have to fend for themselves. According to those who remain stranded in the stricken city, police had visited hotels and guest houses on the eve of the hurricane offering to evacuate Americans, but not Britons.<br><br>The order meant UK holidaymakers without cars were left helpless in the face of the hurricane. Some have been trapped in hotels and guest houses since the hurricane struck at 7am local time last Monday.<br><br>One family from Liverpool, trapped in a flooded section of the city, told relatives yesterday of their bewilderment when they realised US citizens would be offered preferential treatment.<br><br>Gerrard Scott, 35, spoke to his brother Peter from the Ramada Hotel in New Orleans where he has been stranded without assistance with wife, Sandra, 38, and seven-year-old son Ronan for the past six days. '<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Those that didn't fit their criteria were told to help themselves</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->. The police said they were evacuating Americans, and took away the majority.<br><br>'The British who were left all thought the police would come back, but nobody has. They have just been left,' said Peter Scott last night. Among the 30 or so people still inside the Ramada Hotel is a woman recovering from breast cancer who had been confined to a hotel room by herself because of fears over her immune system.<br><br>Last night Peter Scott described how the family survived by locking themselves inside a tiny windowless bathroom on the fifth floor of the Ramada. 'They were lucky that it was a substantial hotel and that they were quite high up,' said Scott.<br><br>Other Britons are, apparently, stranded in the hotel. However, contact with the outside world remains haphazard.<br><br>There is a payphone in the hotel lobby, but US operators have been refusing to accept collect calls from stranded Britons.<br><br>'Some of them are just hanging up even after they have explained they are trapped in New Orleans. It's like - what emergency?' said Scott. He added that conditions in the lobby were described as atrocious, with sewage up to knee level last night.<br><br>Most of those inside have not dared to venture downstairs for fear looters will spot them and ransack the hotel.<br><br>Last night victims trapped inside the Ramada were making plans to escape after food and water supplies neared exhaustion. Scott explained how they earlier ransacked the hotel kitchens for food, while water was found in its storage tank.<br><br>For the Scott family, the arrival of Katrina was particularly cruel. The trip to Louisiana was a family treat after years of economising to enable Sandra to attend the University of Liverpool to study modern languages.<br><br>Throughout the week, Gerrard and Sandra had kept their son's spirits up by convincing Ronan that their predicament was in fact an adventure. His father had, in turn, kept himself upbeat by asking his brother how England were performing in the cricket.<br><br>'Overall the mood among those trapped is good,' said Scott. 'It's a real league of nations, but they have all bonded.'<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1562517,00.html">observer.guardian.co.uk/i...17,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--><br>SOP disaster evacuation:<br><br>1. What is the color of the person?<br>1a. White -> (2)<br>1b. Other -> Fuck off<br><br>2. Does the person look poor?<br>2a. Yes -> Fuck off<br>2b. No -> (3)<br><br>3. Ask the nationality of the person<br>3a. US -> (4)<br>3b. Other -> Fuck off<br><br>4. Is it an elderly person in a wheelchair?<br>4a. Yes -> Fuck off<br>4b. No -> Give the person a seat on the bus. <p></p><i></i>
DrDebugDU

Postby antiaristo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:13 am

There's not much the rest of us can do to help but provide moral support.<br>I'm put in mind of when I knew for sure that the President of Ireland knew what was happening to me and was conspiring with the British to murder me. Here's part of what I wrote to that Nazi Wolf Bitch Mary Robinson.<br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>I decided long ago never to walk in anyone's shadow<br>If I fail, if I succeed at least I'll live as I believe<br>No matter what they take from me they can't take away my dignity<br>Because the greatest love of all is happening to me<br>I found the greatest love of all inside of me</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> <p></p><i></i>
antiaristo

Postby DrDebugDU » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:33 am

The whole idea is that nobody can do anything. Helplessness is their strength.<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>Roland99 (1000+ posts) <br>WTF?!? The buses were waiting just 20 miles outside N.O. for 2 DAYS?!?<br><br>Just heard that reported on NBC.<br><br>They were told they could NOT enter the city because of the security concern.<br><br>And we all know how much misinformation has been spread about the violence.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x4623830">www.democraticunderground...04x4623830</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>No link available yet, but it is for the record again...<br><br>This story was interesting as well:<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Privatizing the Truth; Bush's war on information</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Bush's lying is not a matter of human frailty or corruption, but a statement of administration policy</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>by Mike Whitney<br>August 25, 2005<br>uruknet<br><br>'<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->". <br>- Bush aide; Ron Suskind, New York Times Magazine 10-17-04<br><br>A great deal of print has been wasted on President Bush's inability to tell the truth. In fact, it really makes little difference whether Bush is a pathological liar or not. What is meaningful however is that deception is the primary tool for the maintenance of the state. Transparency and candor are now seen as direct threats to the preservation of the status quo. This suggests that <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Bush's lying is not simply a matter of human frailty or corruption, but a clear statement of administration policy</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->. This may seem like a minor point, but in fact the conduct of the Bush administration cannot be seriously evaluated without understanding that deceit is the cornerstone of their class-based world view.<br><br>(...)<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=WHI20050825&articleId=863">www.globalresearch.ca/ind...icleId=863</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
DrDebugDU

Re: M$NBC: Mission Accomplished

Postby DrDebugDU » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:23 am

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Last refugees evacuated from New Orleans</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Sliver of hope that the worst is over as city turns to dealing with its dead<br><br>NBC, MSNBC and news services<br>Updated: 5:46 a.m. ET Sept. 4, 2005<br><br>NEW ORLEANS - As the last weary refugees evacuated from New Orleans, the shattered city drew closer to dealing with its dead, confronting a gruesome landscape of scattered corpses that were expected to number in the thousands.<br><br>No one knows how many people were killed by Hurricane Katrina and how many more succumbed waiting to be rescued. But the bodies are everywhere: hidden in attics, floating in the ruined city, crumpled in wheelchairs, abandoned on highways."<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9156612">www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9156612</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--><br>In the meantime on an non-Bill Gates/General Electric channel:<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Citizens Survivors 80,000 people still stranded in New Orleans.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>NEW ORLEANS (Reuters)<br><br>(...)<br>Tens of thousands of evacuees have already been taken to stadiums and other shelters in<br>Texas and northern Louisiana. But military officials said up to 80,000 people were still<br>stranded in New Orleans.<br><br>"THIS IS WRONG"<br>Many were angry at the government.<br><br>"They have us living here like animals," said Wvonnette Grace-Jordan, who was at the New Orleans convention centre with five children. "We have only had two meals, we have no medicine and now there are thousands of people defecating in the streets. This is wrong. This is the United States of America."<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2005-09-03T224334Z_01_MCC310391_RTRUKOC_0_UK-KATRINA.xml">today.reuters.co.uk/news/...ATRINA.xml</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x4624121">www.democraticunderground...04x4624121</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
DrDebugDU

Re: M$NBC: Mission Accomplished

Postby antiaristo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:40 am

Isn't it bloody obvious? The Convention Center was becoming the focus for foreign coverage.<br>They HAD to clear them fast.<br><br>As an aside, I'm not so sure the turning-on-a-dime was strictly due to Bush. I noticed that things began to move after Congress appropriated funds.<br>We KNOW everything has to go through FEMA/DHS. I've read enough about idle assets waiting to be used to suspect something deeper. Is it possible that these agencies procurement rules REQUIRE WH involvement. Is it possible that there was simply no money, so they couldn't guarantee payment.<br>The Halliburton Doctrine? They DID get the contract when Congress appropriated funds. <p></p><i></i>
antiaristo

Meet the Press

Postby Fearless » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:11 pm

President of Jefferson parish said FEMA came in and cut his emergency communication lines. He said he reconnected them and FEMA disconnected them again and sent in an armed guard! <p></p><i></i>
Fearless

Re: combat operation

Postby DrDebugDU » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:01 pm

sparosnare <br>NO Disaster: An Eventual Triumph for Bushco<br><br>(...)<br><br>The report came from Geraldo Rivera, who introduced a new Fox News correspondent (ex Marine), embedded with troops in New Orleans. The guy was flush with excitement, and gleefully described “securing” the first floor of the Convention Center, troops going in with night vision goggles and guns drawn. <br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>“Did it remind you of a combat operation?” Geraldo asked.<br><br>“Oh yes, yes it did. There was a chill in the air, very dangerous.” Said the ex-Marine embed, grinning and almost frothing at the mouth. “We’ve managed to secure the first floor, but we haven’t gotten to the second floor yet. That will be tomorrow. There’s word gangs have formed up there, so we must be very careful”.<br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x4626176">www.democraticunderground...04x4626176</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
DrDebugDU

Re: combat operation

Postby Dreams End » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:16 pm

Keep your eye on the 80,000 number. They couldn't let the people continue dying on TV...but these others are not near TV cameras.<br><br>Fearless: Do you have a link for the FEMA cut the communication line statement or at least where you heard it? Thanks. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

PreviousNext

Return to Katrina and Aftermath