Martial law in New Orleans

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Martial law in New Orleans

Postby thrulookingglass » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:43 pm

Sometimes, I hate it when we're right...<br>snip-<br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana -- Martial Law has been declared in New Orleans as conditions continued to deteriorate. Water levels in The Big Easy and it's suburbs are rising at dangerous levels and officials stated they don't know where the water is coming from. Residents are being urged to get out of New Orleans in any way they can as officials fear "life will be unsustainable" for days or even weeks.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br>article continues @ : <br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0830-10.htm">www.commondreams.org/head...830-10.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br> <p></p><i></i>
thrulookingglass

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Martial law in New Orleans

Postby dbeach » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:53 pm

AS THEY SAY IN BASE BALL..NOW THE WIND UP..HERES THE PITCH..<br><br>bush agenda IS MARTIAL LAW always has been ..DOUBT IF THEY LEAVE PEACEFULLY.<br><br>FEMA is there acting like good guys . next time maybe <br>won't be acting like good guys??<br><br>FEMA was in NYC on 9/10/01.<br><br>Scalar generated??<br>katrina..named after russki and german regents <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Re: Martial law in New Orleans

Postby Dreams End » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:55 pm

Sigh...here's the other part of this that we'll keep just between us. The hurricane is NOT the problem now. It's the levees...and last I heard on CNN NO ONE KNOWS why they failed. It was not storm surge topping the levees...and that's good as that would have inundated the area faster.<br><br>This thing in New Orleans is going to be horrific. There are hundreds of thousands without homes now and simply no chance they'll get them back anytime even remotely soon. How FEMA "handles" this is important...and given that I heard a few weeks ago they were sending out letters to some of the recipients of aid from the LAST hurricane ASKING FOR THE MONEY BACK, I don't hold out much hope there.<br><br>New Orleans was completely unprepared as a hydrologist interviewed on CNN pointed out. He said there simply was NO plan for a Category 4 or 5 storm. the SUPERDOME? Please.<br><br>By the way, CNN's coverage was horrid. Repeating footage without noting WHEN it was taken and spending 1/3 of their time talking about how brave their reporters were and how great their technology was, including "Hurricane One" a van specially outfitted to cover the Gulf War. The score stands at: Katrina 1, CNN Van 0. It was trashed.<br><br>The worst, and most ominous part of their coverage was a spot I saw interviewing some DHS military guy in Colorado. The reporter went ON AND ON before even asking the questions in this vain:<br><br>"We know that DHS works to protect us from terrorists, but THIS is also the sort of thing you were set up to do, isn't it?' She was positively worshipful of this guy...and kept calling him, "sir". Newsflash...you're a civilian sweetie...you don't have to call him sir (the way she did it really showed deference...not a general politeness in interviewing style).<br><br>Not long after that, I heard the announcement about martial law. <br><br>I'm not saying it was all done on purpose...but it was freaky.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

watching carefully what FEMA and Nat. Guard do now

Postby AnnaLivia » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:23 pm

creeped me out completely to watch Bush on TV two days ago saying "everyone needs to listen carefully to what the authorities tell them to do".....<br><br>sure had trouble sleeping that night... <p></p><i></i>
AnnaLivia

States of Emergency

Postby metaxa » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:19 pm

There is now 10% of the US in a State of Emergency: NM, AZ, LA, MI, AL. I don't know how close a State of Emergency is to Martial Law, but it's certainly a little too close for comfort. <p></p><i></i>
metaxa

Re: States of Emergency

Postby Col Quisp » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:05 pm

I just saw there are now 60,000 people in the Superdome. OMG. Can this be true? With no air conditioning? One person already committed suicide.<br><br>The repair of the levee break was not successful. 12-15 feet of water is expected. They're trying to figure out how to evacuate the prisoners, where flooding is expected. <br><br>As Jim Garrison said to his wife, Liz, in the film JFK: "It's gonna get worse." <br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Col Quisp

Postby Col Quisp » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:35 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Nagin said there are two major breaks in levees -- one at Florida Avenue in New Orleans East and another on the 17th Street Canal, where two or three blocks of concrete floodwall blew out.<br><br>Engineers believe water which poured over the floodwall then curved back under it, scouring out the dirt behind the wall until it collapsed, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said.<br><br>Because of the 17th Street Canal break, Lake Pontchartrain water is pouring into the city. Nagin said the pumps that normally protect the city are working, but since they send water into the lake it does no good. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/083005cccawwlevac.43bb0409.html">www.wwltv.com/local/stories/083005cccawwlevac.43bb0409.html</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>Sure...it just "blew out." Anyone remember the predictions that the hurricane would sit on Lake Ponchartrain and then they'd have doomsday? Well, this looks like MIHOP to me. Not satisfied that Katrina did not do their bidding, someone broke through two levees so that it would come to pass.<br><br>Meanwhile, FEMA is planning to herd people into "tent cities," or put them on cruise ships (yeah, right...60,000 people on cruise ships) or mobile homes. Test run!<br><br>This is maddening. It's happening right before our eyes, culling the poor, weak, homeless and sick. This is only the beginning. <p></p><i></i>
Col Quisp

Postby Dreams End » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:38 pm

I haven't read too much today other than direct (but horrible) CNN in coverage. I SUSPECT that they already know how bad this is going to get. A HUGE theme in CNN interviews and reporting right now is how stupid and selfish the people are who stayed behind (when not talking about how brave their own reporters are). My TV will not survive if I hear another one of these judgmental, arrogant, non-journalistic statements. <br><br>People who didn't leave include:<br><br>You know, never the fucking mind. Just watch the footage of who is being rescued off rooftops and tell me if you think those folks have a summer home in the Hamptons to flee to. Nevermind the ones who can barely even walk due to age or infirmity. And you know, I don't read lips but I enjoyed imagining that one of those so rescued off a rooftop was mouthing to the camera: yeah, but at least I'm not trapped in the fucking SuperDome. As of now: No food, toilets backed up, no electricity...<br><br><br><br>What's coming now is a ripple effect that is so profound we've probably seen nothing like it before. It will go beyond 9/11 because it will involve increasing levels of frustration and anger AT BUSH and the whole government structure. They were clearly not at all prepared for this, despite the fact that the levees were specifically built only to survive up to a category 3. Everyone knew this when they were built. It was the best they could do at the time.<br><br>Others have pointed out how Bush vetoed money to repair this problem...though I assume other Presidents could have done it as well. But the problem is beyond that. How Bush is perceived to be handling this...well, it will bring down his presidency or bring on martial law. <br><br>The guy who is reporting with Wolf Blitzer was actually fairly open here. At one point, he asks Blitzer, "Is Bush still on vacation?" Blitzer, being what he is, took it as a serious inquiry and said, "No he cut his vacation short." then the other guy proceeds to lay into Bush suggesting that with his poll numbers he might want to get on this hurricane thing pretty quick, as last he had heard, Bush was giving a speech somewhere about Iraq. <br><br>When the bodies start surfacing, and the ability to get more people out alive recedes (and the coverup begins as well) and especially if things go real bad with the Superdome, it will present a crisis unparalleled in our history. The administration will simply come apart at the seams. They are simply NOT dealing with the enormity of this.<br><br>Neither is the fucking media. I thought I was tripping on acid when a CNN reporter (sic) went on and on with a woman from the CDC in Atlanta about the dangers of the next few days. The woman did hit some of the obvious, such as the fact that there are tens of thousands trapped in rising water that is polluted with chemical and human wastes, with no electricity and no communication.<br><br>But then they spent half the interview talking about the dangers of WEST NILE VIRUS as mosquitoes multiply due to all the standing water. WEST FUCKING NILE VIRUS. Yeah, I watch my wife pulled off by the water and I'm worried about West Nile. Oh, and here's a little clue...New Orleans has had standing water since it was formed...see, it's basically SWAMP. This is NOT the issue to be focusing on. God almighty help these poor people in LA. <br><br>Then they proceed to provide tips to all those in the affected areas about how to survive. Well, I have a little news for you...THEY CAN'T WATCH CNN RIGHT NOW. SEE, THERE WAS A HURRICANE....<br><br>And why the levee broke is a mystery. They were out of the woods so to speak. I'll have to assume a natural explanation as I think it would have been hard to have foreseen enough of the circumstances to have some kind of evil plot to destroy one of those sections. Unless you want to go into the "they steered the hurricane and had charges ready" idea. I'm not in that camp yet. But with what's going on, they might as well have as they are no less culpable for what's happening.<br><br>Now I'm just waiting for Pat Robertson to say this was God's punishment on New Orleans for being the vice capitol of the world. <br> <br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Martial Law

Postby robertdreed » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:45 pm

If ever there were a case where is was necessary to declare martial law, it's in the aftermath of this hurricane.<br><br>Some of you folks sound like youngsters, you sound as it you've never heard a state of martial law declared before. It seems that the terms "martial law" and "fascism" are interchangeable to you. <br><br>Hurricane Katrina is a fucking disaster, yo. In a way, it's a trenchant demonstration of the puniness of human "power." Compared to the state of chaos and anarchy that's the de facto situation on the ground, martial law represents the barest attempt to retore order. Believe me, they don't have time to round up dissidents in the midst of this.<br><br>The real madness in this is the futility of declaring martial law when the local National Guard is in Iraq. It isn't quite like a proclamation from the Red Queen, but it's uncomfortably close.<br><br>Oh yeah, by the way: anyone who thinks this disaster was planned by hidden controllers working with the HAARP program has owls in their attic. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=robertdreed>robertdreed</A> at: 8/30/05 7:47 pm<br></i>
robertdreed

emergency

Postby smiths » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:48 pm

without wishing to sound ridiculous,<br>is it not possible that the emergency services are simply responding to a genuine 'natural' disaster and that given the scale of the weather damage the levees just broke.<br><br>i could be wrong but there is a difference between scepticism and paranoia. having said that i am a long way away and i dont know how it feels to be there <p></p><i></i>
smiths

Re: Martial Law

Postby robertdreed » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:50 pm

"And why the levee broke is a mystery."<br><br>It appears that the money has been moved in the president’s budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that’s the price we pay. Nobody locally is happy that the levees can’t be finished, and we are doing everything we can to make the case that this is a security issue for us. -- Walter Maestri, emergency management chief for Jefferson Parish, Louisiana; New Orleans Times-Picayune, June 8, 2004.<br><br> <br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.pnionline.com/dnblog/attytood/archives/002331.html">www.pnionline.com/dnblog/...02331.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
robertdreed

High Water (for Charley Patton)

Postby robertdreed » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:57 pm

High water risin' - risin' night and day<br>All the gold and silver are being stolen away<br>Big Joe Turner lookin' East and West<br>From the dark room of his mind<br>He made it to Kansas City<br>Twelfth Street and Vine<br>Nothing standing there<br>High water everywhere<br><br>High water risin', the shacks are slidin' down<br>Folks lose their possessions - folks are leaving town<br>Bertha Mason shook it - broke it<br>Then she hung it on a wall<br>Says, "You're dancin' with whom they tell you to<br>Or you don't dance at all."<br>It's tough out there<br>High water everywhere<br><br>I got a cravin' love for blazing speed<br>Got a hopped up Mustang Ford<br>Jump into the wagon, love, throw your panties overboard<br>I can write you poems, make a strong man lose his mind<br>I'm no pig without a wig<br>I hope you treat me kind<br>Things are breakin' up out there<br>High water everywhere<br><br>High water risin', six feet over my head<br>Coffins droppin' in the street<br>Like balloons made out of lead<br>Water pourin' into Vicksburg, don't know what I'm going to do<br>"Don't reach out for me," she said<br>"Can't you see I'm drownin' too?"<br>It's rough out there<br>High water everywhere<br><br>Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew<br>"You can't open your mind, boys<br>To every conceivable point of view."<br>They got Charles Darwin trapped out there on Highway Five<br>Judge says to the High Sheriff,<br>"I want him dead or alive<br>Either one, I don't care."<br>High Water everywhere<br><br>The Cuckoo is a pretty bird, she warbles as she flies<br>I'm preachin' the Word of God<br>I'm puttin' out your eyes<br>I asked Fat Nancy for something to eat, she said, "Take it off the shelf -<br>As great as you are a man,<br>You'll never be greater than yourself."<br>I told her I didn't really care<br>High water everywhere<br><br>I'm getting' up in the morning - I believe I'll dust my broom<br>Keeping away from the women<br>I'm givin' 'em lots of room<br>Thunder rolling over Clarksdale, everything is looking blue<br>I just can't be happy, love<br>Unless you're happy too<br>It's bad out there<br>High water everywhere<br><br> <br> <p></p><i></i>
robertdreed

Postby Dreams End » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:12 pm

If martial law is declared specifically only in the areas directly and hardest hit...I will have little problem with that, though if that martial law turns, as I suspect it will, to focusing more on protecting property than rescuing people, I'll change my opinion. And yes, this is a "natural disaster". But if you know it's going to come and you don't prepare...well you posted the very link I would have...so as people put that together, the discontent will grow. <br><br><br> I am predicting that the REACTION to this disaster by the government is going to be extremely inadequate. Bush is not even attempting to look as if he's in charge...Didn't even change his schedule. People see this...at least the ones with electricity do.<br><br><br>Hey, I imagine you are a Lew Rockwell reader. Check out his post on how the people who came to the Superdome were actually treated. Not as victims of a "natural disaster" but as prisoners. No other way to put it.<br><br>Oh, it's not by Rockwell, just on his site:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.lewrockwell.com/duggan/duggan10.html">www.lewrockwell.com/duggan/duggan10.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>in fact, I'll reprint the whole thing at the end of this. <br><br>So, what I'm suggesting is that this was and continues to be criminally mismanaged. I'm predicting that this will have extreme repercussions, including unrest of a type that will necessitate martial law spreading way beyond the areas directly affected. People will link the war in Iraq with the lack of preparation (and, indeed, prevention as you noted) and thus, a general sort of unrest will take hold. <br><br>Whether the prospect of an excuse for martial law and the diversion from Bush's other catastrophes is a welcome thing whispered gently among the pillows to Jeff Gannon by a giggling Karl Rove, or whether this will be more of a desperate struggle for them to stay in power, I don't know. <br><br>Maybe I'm wrong..but I don't think much guesswork is needed here. Combine the death toll, the mismanagement, past and future, the economic hit and the long term prospect of hundreds of thousands of people suddenly with no homes and no hope. Yeah, you bet there'll be martial law. Glad it makes YOU feel safer. I expect they'll have shoot to kill after curfew orders. And why? To protect property.<br><br>CNN was going ON and ON today about looting. Who gives a fuck about looting? That stuff's going to be written off and many were just gathering wherewithal to survive. Hey, someone got a cd player...good for them. Police were wasting resources keeping people out of retail establishments when they should have been in the poor neighborhoods looking for survivors. Why do I even have to SAY this stuff? Martial law will bring more of the same. Only with more deadly force. <br><br>I'm sorry for this rant, but I see what's coming. I'll be HAPPY to be proven wrong. But everyone please scour the press and web carefully, because I think a lot of "corners" will be cut that will get a pass by the media, anxious, once again, not to criticize during this "time of crisis." Hey, it was a natural disaster. No time for politics. <br><br><br><br><br> <br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Superdome of Shame<br><br>by Jack Duggan<br><br><br><br><br>Watching news coverage of the refugees trying to enter the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans for safety from the approaching force-five Hurricane Katrina, I was incredulous how the people attempting to enter the stadium were being treated by the National Guard troops and local police. The people were made to stand for hours outside in the awful Louisiana climate while they were admitted one or two adults at a time so they could be searched "for firearms and alcohol."<br><br>The frail elderly, many grasping walkers and others in wheelchairs seemed to be near collapse. They, along with hundreds of small children needing water and rest-room relief, were forced to wait as long as four hours to get to safety. It was often repeated during the video reports that the last time the Superdome was used as a hurricane shelter, a few of the temporary occupants removed some furniture. But this time, they had a large security force on hand, so that was NOT going to happen again, no-siree-bob.<br><br>During coverage by Geraldo Rivera Sunday night, FOX NEWS' video cameras zoomed inside the foyer deck of the Superdome and viewers could see a national guard person going through a powder compact from of a woman's purse that was way too small to hold a liquor bottle or a gun. It was obvious that they were looking for drugs in warrantless searches. They instructed all the refugees far back in the seemingly endless lines to have their prescription-pill bottles out when approaching the security checkpoint and also a photo ID to prove that they belonged with the prescription.<br><br>There were THOUSANDS of poor, mostly black citizens of the lower Louisiana area, many of them little children and sickly elderly, being forced to stand for hours while the government violated their civil rights with forced searches that were patently unconstitutional, unjust and unreasonable under the dire circumstances. "Don't want to be searched? That's okay...now turn around, go outside and die!" Big choice.<br><br>Can you imagine New Orleans' wealthy elite meekly submitting to such microscopic searches of their persons and property for drugs? Heads would roll. But poor people who had no money to escape the deadly storm's onslaught had no choice. They had nowhere else to go to save their children's and parents' lives. They were humiliated just for trying to survive. Their grandfathers and grandmothers suffered as slaves on Southern plantations decades ago, while today, they suffer as slaves to the state, the state that cancels their human rights and dignity in the name of "protecting" them.<br><br>Did you see that, America? Nothing has changed in the South. Poor people of are still being herded and treated as criminals because of the color of their skin. The Sheriff and Louisiana National Guard knows the profile of likely drug users: black people and anyone associating with them; they were searched just as if they were entering a state penitentiary visiting a death-row prisoner. Maybe the refugees would have fared better if they had had season tickets in their hands.<br><br>Think about it. They can allow in 30,000 screaming fans with fifty-dollar bills and costly NFL tickets in their hands in a few minutes, but poor black people fleeing for their lives, four hours. Four HOURS!<br><br>None of the news people I saw on the major cable and broadcast networks noticed this outrage. Apparently, they are still "embedded" with the government and couldn't possibly risk dislodging their heads long enough to report the truth right before their eyes.<br><br>We let morons take away our rights to person and property at the airports, all for the false "protection" they promised us and can't possibly deliver, so now we see them doing it to helpless citizens even when the citizens' lives are in danger. "First, we gotta check you for weapons and drugs...pull your dress up, lift up your arms...." – let those old people collapse and those kids soil themselves – "This is FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY."<br><br>God forbid that anyone have a hip flask to calm their nerves during a traumatic life-and-death experience. Someone else might actually toke up or take a non-prescription pill! And a few might take their right to keep and bear arms seriously, when everyone knows that only government employees deserve self-protection, not their citizen "bosses." The constitution doesn't apply when the government thinks it can make you safer by judging you, disarming you, and denuding you of your rights.<br><br>Who gave the order to make all these exhausted, miserable poor people wait for hours while they were searched so illicitly? Under what actual law did they search these refugees for anything whatsoever on their person? Do they search football game fans this thoroughly and for this long? Suuuuuure they do....<br><br>Could all this form a mass tort against the State of Louisiana? Maybe. Some of the Superdome refugees must be hopping mad.<br><br>Let's face it. If you're poor in America, you're a "suspect," maybe. If you're poor and black in America, you're a "criminal," definitely. Even if your life is in peril, no excuses. Your rights don't count as long as any badge or weekend warrior in BDU's says they don't.<br><br>This is the real story of the Louisiana Superdome. Hurricane Katrina can certainly destroy the environs of the Louisiana and her neighboring states, but that can all be rebuilt. What will never be rebuilt is the dignity of the poorest citizens of that region, since the government acted with a greater destructive force than a hurricane. The lamp of freedom has been blown out by force-five bureaucrats, their sycophants and their head-embedded media enablers who will insure that it will never get re-ignited. For our own good, of course.<br><br>Heads should roll in Louisiana, for all those whose civil rights were violated on Sunday, August 28, 2005, outside the Louisiana Superdome of Shame.<br><br>August 30, 2005<br><br>Jack Duggan [send him mail] lives in Fort Apache (Hamilton, New Jersey, site of the anthrax mailings) with his family.<br><br>Copyright © 2005 LewRockwell.com<br><br>Jack Duggan: Archives<br> <br> <br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Postby Dreams End » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:23 pm

<br><br>Water rising at 17th St. canal<br>Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.<br><br>Mayor Ray Nagin has announced that the attempt to plug a breach in the<br>17th Street canal at the Hammond Highway bridge has failed and the<br>rising water is about to overwhelm the pumps on that canal.<br>The result is that water will begin rising rapidly again, and could<br>reach as high as 3 feet above sea level. In New Orleans and Jefferson<br>Parish, that means floodwaters could rise as high as 15 feet in the next<br>few hours.<br>Nagin urged residents to try to find higher ground as soon as possible.<br><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/">www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Good local news source. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

where the elites will profit from human misery

Postby mother » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:49 pm

where the infamous corruption of law enforcement is, where thousands of the lowest functioning and most unlucky people are imprisoned in the filthy Superdome. Like animals, obediently waiting for hours in the heat to suffer indignities. This situation is going to have grave consequences for all of us. Martial law might be helpful if those in charge were not so morally compromised. <p></p><i></i>
mother

Next

Return to Katrina and Aftermath