Presidential doodles (JFK page: circled 9/11, 'conspiracy')

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Presidential doodles (JFK page: circled 9/11, 'conspiracy')

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:29 pm

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Book compiles doodlings of presidents</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>NEW YORK - As a president, Herbert Hoover ranks near the bottom in the hearts of most historians, condemned as the dull-minded bureaucrat who looked on while the nation sank into the Great Depression.<br><br>But in at least one respect, Hoover's sad, single term wasn't a waste of time. In fact, he was apparently never more productive than when supposedly wasting his time, assembling what may be his supreme presidential legacy:<br><br>The nation's foremost executive doodler.<br><br>"Presidential Doodles," just released by Basic Books, a member of the Perseus Books Group, collects the random sketches and drawings of Hoover and most of his fellow commanders in chief, from Hoover's elaborate shapes and swirls to the isolated squiggles of Abraham Lincoln. The book expands upon an issue of Cabinet Magazine, a quarterly of "Arts & Culture" that featured the jottings of eight presidents.<br><br>"Just as our dreams and little Freudian slips can mean something about us, doodles can be indicative of the person and issues and things that he is dealing with," says Cabinet editor-in-chief Sina Najafi.<br><br>Personalities emerge at a glance: John Adams' hard, straight lines and precise geometrical patterns; Theodore Roosevelt's rugged sketch of two dogs staring across a campfire; Dwight Eisenhower's plain, practical illustrations;<br>Ronald Reagan's childlike portraits, including of himself in a cowboy hat.<br><br>President Kennedy, known for separating his life into compartments, would enclose words and numbers inside circles and boxes. Events long after his death give one doodle an unintended chill: <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>A small circle with the numbers "9-11" contained within. Just to the lower left on the page, the word "conspiracy" is underlined.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>In summer 1964, as the Vietnam War intensified, President Lyndon Johnson scribbled "Breakdown" at the top of one paper.<br>Richard Nixon left behind few doodles, but, characteristically, kept an eye on what his adversaries wrote down, once noticing that Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev sketched a heart with an arrow through it as talks faltered on limiting nuclear warheads.<br><br>Hoover's work is the subject of 16 pages, six more than the man who displaced him from office and, for the most part, from history: Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Trained as an engineer, Hoover sketched out designs that read like building projects gone awry, or one's own imprisoned thoughts — circles within circles and diamonds inside diamonds, dark spirals reminiscent of spider webs or of wheels turning madly.<br><br>Hoover wasn't the first executive doodler, but he was the first to become famous for it. In 1929, an autograph collector got his hands on some sketches, which inspired a wave of newspaper articles and a dressmaker to use Hoover's designs for a line of one-piece children's garments.<br><br>"Doodling is a 20th-century form," Najafi notes. "You had the rise of bureaucracy and meetings and the demise of the secretary who would take notes for you."<br><br>Some presidents, and their legacy keepers, have been proud of their doodles. Kennedy's scribbles were exhibited after his death and even turned into sculpture. Presidents Eisenhower and Reagan were both fond of showing off their drawings, although, noted a CBS report at the time, if Reagan drew a horse or football player in your presence, it meant you had committed a grave error; you bored him.<br><br>"With Reagan, you start to see the collapse of the public-private distinction," says historian David Greenberg, who wrote the book's introduction and includes commentary throughout.<br><br>"He gave them out to friends. He gave them out at meetings. For him, doodles were very much an act of self-presentation. They are purported to be something private, but there's an air of public relations."<br><br>For other chief executives, doodling would appear too trivial to mention, or an unfortunate habit, like admitting the president cracks his knuckles or chews with his mouth open.<br><br>The Harry Truman library initially denied that he doodled, until the book's editors informed the library of a New York Times article from the 1940s that included a Truman sketch. "The handwriting on the paper does look very like his," responded Truman archivist Randy Sowell, who reported finding a "piece of paper with a bit of doggerel in Truman's handwriting on one side, and some doodles on the other."<br><br>The library for President Carter also stated that he did not doodle, but did confide that he wrote notes in the margins. A letter from Gerald Ford's library asserted that the president's attention was fixed on people rather than paper.<br><br>"Unfortunately, I have to report that President Ford was not a doodler," wrote Ford archivist William H. McNitt. "In fact, you almost never saw him in a White House meeting holding a pen. When others were talking, he was listening."<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060919/ap_on_re_us/books_presidential_doodles">news.yahoo.com</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Presidential doodles (JFK page: circled 9/11, 'conspirac

Postby dugoboy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:19 pm

this is like one of things where you realize none of this is new... <p>___________________________________________<br>"BushCo aren't incompetent...they are Complicit!" -Me<br><br>"Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act" -George Orwell<br><br>"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it - always." -Mahatma Gandhi</p><i></i>
dugoboy

Postby chiggerbit » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:00 pm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"With Reagan, you start to see the collapse of the public-private distinction," says historian David Greenberg, who wrote the book's introduction and includes commentary throughout.<br><br>"He gave them out to friends. He gave them out at meetings. For him, doodles were very much an act of self-presentation. They are purported to be something private, but there's an air of public relations."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>Depends on when he started handing them out. If it wasn't until after he became president, it could have been an indication of the onset of Alzheimer's. I always thought he showed beginning signs of senility even in his first administration. <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Postby sunny » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:08 pm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>A small circle with the numbers "9-11" contained within. Just to the lower left on the page, the word "conspiracy" is underlined.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>OMG, I wonder if 9-11 was proposed for the onslaught of Operation Northwoods, and the modern day conspirators kept the original date? The date must mean something, just as dbeach keeps saying!<br><br>Do we know when the drawing was made? Was it after Operation Northwoods was brought to JFK? <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

@_@

Postby orz » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:37 pm

wow<br><br>the mind boggles...<br><br>talk about 'too good to be true'! <p></p><i></i>
orz

That doodle not released on web?

Postby Avalon » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:06 pm

That doodle does not seem to be available on the web. If anyone runs across this in a bookstore, see if you can get more information on it. <p></p><i></i>
Avalon

Postby Sepka » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:09 am

sunny said:<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Do we know when the drawing was made? Was it after Operation Northwoods was brought to JFK? <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>That's intriguing. They don't give any hint which year it's from, I suppose? Sept 11, 1962 was the day JFK toured Cape Canaveral and the Marshall SFC, and met with Werner vonBraun. This was just one day prior to his famous speech at Rice University, when he announced definitely that we were going to the moon.<br><br>I'll go out on a limb, though, and suggest that the doodle paper stems from late August of 1963, possibly from the President's meeting of August 28 with the NSC. Ngo Dinh Diem (president of South Vietnam) had become a serious liability by that point, and was the main focus of discussion. A cabal of ARVN generals had approached ambassador Lodge only a few days earlier to feel out the US response to a possible military coup. I'll suggest that this is what the underlined "conspiracy" refers to. A follow-up meeting was scheduled for Sept 11, 1963.<br><br><br> <p>-Sepka the Space Weasel</p><i></i>
Sepka

Postby Sepka » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:11 am

chiggerbit said: <!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I always thought he showed beginning signs of senility even in his first administration.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Personally, I believe the man was known to his associates to be mildly senile before he was elected. IMHO, that's what made him an attractive choice to Meese and Regan.<br> <p>-Sepka the Space Weasel</p><i></i>
Sepka

Postby Gouda » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:25 am

You can see a small sampling of presidential doodles at this <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/information/clippings/pdf/atlanticmonthly_pd.pdf">link to an atlantic monthly article</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->. They do not print the JFK 9-11 doodle, but 2 others. You can see his penchant for boxing and circling text. Also, check out the LBJ doodle. To me it looks like a 3-headed UFO constructed around the "The White House" letterhead. <br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Here [LBJ] shows his predilection for drawing figures with three faces. The drawing also reveals his habit of building his doodles around the words The White House on his stationery.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> And there is also a chilling George HW Bush doodle. <!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The one significant drawing—a sad, tearful face—currently available in Bush’s presidential papers appears on a memo he wrote to Rose Zamaria, his secretary. According to Zamaria, the president was responding to her request that he sign a stack of letters—part of a mass mailing—addressed to people he knew. Looking over the names, Bush realized that one intended recipient was dead and another might be. “You see,” explained Zamaria, “he was such a funny guy.”<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> HW Bush scrawls: "Rose, 1 confirmed dead. 1 possible dead. How about all the rest? Any more dead ones?" Funny, indeed. <br><br>One last thing: <br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>John F. Kennedy reportedly doodled the word <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>poverty</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> at the last cabinet meeting before his death.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200609/presidents-doodles">www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200609/presidents-doodles</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:11 am

Hoover's doodles are the most visually disturbing to me, but that may be due to my own conception of 'capstone' significance.. <p>____________________<br>Some are born to sweet delight, some are born to endless night.</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby Sepka » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:18 am

et said:<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Hoover's doodles are the most visually disturbing to me<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>I'd have said Harding. The central figure looks to me like a hand/arm, with the fingers chopped off.<br> <p>-Sepka the Space Weasel</p><i></i>
Sepka

Postby Gouda » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:02 am

Teddy Roosevelt's pleasant portrait of domestic bliss is no soother either. <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

kennedys 911

Postby OpLan » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:41 am

this has been verified as definately his handwriting has it?<br>We know that they are supposedly ramping up their attack on the net.<br>In the space of 2 weeks or so,we've had a new wtc eyewitness video showing explosions,Bush with his bomb/explosives 'gaffe',the firemen video with the big explosion,and now Kennedy supposedly drawing attention to 911 from beyond the grave..?<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
OpLan

So what are they trying to do?

Postby DireStrike » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:14 pm

Nurture a conspiracy movement? Actually expose a conspiracy and pin it on a select few, thus "cleaning" the problem? <p></p><i></i>
DireStrike

Postby Sepka » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:10 am

For those inclined to see conspiracies, Canada.com shows one of Hoover's doodles. He's writing about bank failures and foreclosures, and covering the paper with Stars of David, which he elaborates in one case to resemble a spider's web.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.canada.com/topics/finance/photogallery/president_doodles.html?g=4">www.canada.com/topics/fin...s.html?g=4</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>The site won't allow direct linking to the picture, I fear.<br> <p>-Sepka the Space Weasel</p><i></i>
Sepka

Next

Return to UFOs and High Weirdness