Disabling Their Technological Beast

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Disabling Their Technological Beast

Postby MASONIC PLOT » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:07 pm

I think now and even more so in the future, if we are ever going to have a chance to liberate ourselves we are going to have to know how to disable their technological beast. I would like to use this thread for people to post their ideas and know-how secrets in re: disabling RFID chips, video cameras, their machine gun toting sentry robots etc, you get the idea, THIS is the knowledge we are all going to need in the future to have any chance at all.

I will start with this post:

HOW TO turn a disposable camera into an RFID-killer

With a little work, a disposable camera can be turned into a low-cost device for disabling the tracking bugs in many products and ID cards. Radio Frequency ID tags (RFIDs) are tiny bugs that can be embedded in products and ID cards, enabling them to be read at a distance. US passports and London's tube-cards are beginning to incorporate these. Nominally, they can only be read at a few centimeters' distance, but security researchers have demonstrated that they can be read by attackers at 15 or more meters away. With goods, it's hard to tell if you've got an RFID embedded in them and hard to kill them (though you can put them in the microwave and kill them).
Modding a disposable camera's flash to deliver an RFID-killing energy-shock is a pretty cool project if you want a portable way to disinfect your stuff. The London Underground's "Oyster cards" are used as stored-value cards for boarding the tube. They track your movements when you touch in and touch out at the turnstiles. You can avoid the worst of the data-collection if you frequently change Oyster cards, but the Underground has promised to start charging £3 for new cards; however, they promise to replace defective cards for free. With one of these, you could zap your card when it runs out of stored money and trade it for a new one that will have a different serial number and consequently not be associatable with your previous card.

Many times, intrusions into privacy like this are excused on the basis that they offer discounts in exchange for your personal information. This is true with the Oyster card, too: a single ride on the tube costs £3 now if you use a paper ticket, but with an Oyster card the journey is as little as £1.30. The thing is, before they ramped up Oyster card use on January 1, the cost of a paper single was also as little as £1.10 -- in other words, they nearly tripled the cost of an anonymous journey and then told everyone that you got a great discount if you used the privacy-surrendering means.

It generates a strong electromagnetic field with a coil, which should be placed as near to the target RFID-Tag as possible. The RFID-Tag then will receive a strong shock of energy comparable with an EMP and some part of it will blow, thus deactivating the chip forever.
To keep the costs of the RFID-Zapper as low as possible, we decided to modify the electric component of a singe-use-camera with flash, as can be found almost everywhere.

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/27/ho ... sposa.html
MASONIC PLOT

disabled oyster?

Postby blanc » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:21 pm

why disable an oyster card? what's wrong with chucking it?
blanc

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby orz » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:40 pm

No, the point is to break it so you can say it stopped working and get it replaced for free...

Oyster cards are pretty evil even if just from a money point of view... basically a way for themto raise fares and advertise it as a reduction! :?

And yeah... even if their intentions are not sinister tracking-wise, it certainly sets up a system for abuse. WHen you put money on the card you have the option of seeing exactly where and when you went... which of course means that other people can find out too!

At the moment the cards aren't tied to your address or anything i don't think (mine certainly isn't at least, my friend found it + gave it to me! :)) but you can imagine as things converge more and more how inherently wrong the system can get... wait till we have biometric ID cards with special offer of cut rate pay as you go travel when you swipe them at any station... etc. :x

I think the real genius of the proposed ID card scheme will be the fact that you're gonna have to pay a stupidly large sum of money for them. Noone would want them if it was free!! :lol:
orz

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:27 pm

Super dope! We will totally steal that for a Brainsturbator post, excellent food for thunk.
Wombaticus Rex

First...

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:03 am

...stay off the internet so they don't know who knows what is going on and they don't have your IP number.

DOH! Drat. We're made.

Turning myself in to DARPA is the only thing to do now and I hope everyone else will, too.
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby Telexx » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:12 pm

Make friends with a computer expert...

Three million Britons have been issued with the new hi-tech passport, designed to frustrate terrorists and fraudsters. So why did Steve Boggan and a friendly computer expert find it so easy to break the security codes?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/idcards/story/0,,1950226,00.html
Telexx

Postby kung_fu_31415962 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:15 am

There are a few key elements as I see:

1. Classes of EMP devices. Varying yields and deployment and operational models - handheld, assymetric high yield, etc. These devices deny access to perceptive and effector technology that rely on integrated electronics.

2. Sensor disruption devices. These devices can be as simple as laser pointers to blind cameras, to devices that generate electronic noise fields.

3. Recognition software countermeasures. This means not so much anything to do with software, but how to counter it while in operation. This includes analyzing facial recognition algorithms and making adjustments, using makeup or masks, to one's facial features. Other countermeasures include deep facial expression analysis, gait analysis, and infrared. Most likely, all of these data points will need to be addressed since these are correlated to form the true operational picture of those being surveiled.
kung_fu_31415962

Return to Media and Information Technology