Macabre Photos Disgrace German Military

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Macabre Photos Disgrace German Military

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:00 pm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Ahh, Germany..Will you never learn..?</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,444610,00.html">www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,444610,00.html</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Five photos threaten to stain the German military's reputation just as the country debates its role in international security operations. The images, showing German soldiers posing with a skull near Kabul, have sparked outrage from the government and may increase public reluctance to keep troops abroad.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>The photos are unmistakably crass, ranging from a shot of a skull mounted over the headlight of a jeep to a close-up of a soldier holding his penis in his left hand and the skull next to it in his right. These are just two of five photos published Wednesday by the German daily Bild, showing members of German security forces in Afghanistan desecrating human remains evidently found while on patrol near Kabul. Two other photos show the skull affixed to a metal pole -- a "cable cutter" -- that extends vertically like a flag mast from the jeep's front bumper. Another shows a German soldier holding the skull and grinning.<br><br>The origin of the skull is not clear. Bild speculates it could come from a Muslim mass grave in the area, or that it could belong to one of many Russian soldiers who died fighting in Afghanistan in the 1980s. Regardless of where it comes from, the damage is done.<br><br>A chorus of voices has emerged from the government to express disgust at the photos. German Defense Minister, Franz Josef Jung told reporters: "It is clear and unmistakable that this kind of behavior from German soldiers cannot be tolerated." He added "This behavior is diametrically opposed to the values and behavior we teach and train our soldiers in. The pictures provoke disgust and absolute incomprehension."<br><br>The photos couldn't come at a worse time. On Wednesday, the Bundestag's defense committee will discuss the case of Murat Kurnaz, the Turkish-born German resident who was released this summer from the the US military prison at Guantanamo Bay and has since accused German elite soldiers of abusing him in Afghanistan's Kandahar region. Also on Wednesday, the government announced that it is to extend its commitment to the anti-terror Operation Enduring Freedom, but that the number of German troops in Afghanistan will be reduced from 2,800 to 1,800.<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Evidence that German soldiers may be participating in some of the uglier aspects of war may well increase public opposition to the keeping the troops in Afghanistan at all.<br></strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br>jsg/spiegel/bild <p>____________________<br>Wehret den Anfängen</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Blog: View Blog (0)

German troops

Postby yathrib » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:09 pm

I know for a fact that American troops engage in behavior as bad as this or worse, even outside of such notorious incidents as Abu Ghraib. This is not a uniquely German thing. <p></p><i></i>
yathrib

Re: German troops

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:24 pm

Two(or even several) wrongs don't make a right. There's no pardoning any who engage in such behavior. <p>____________________<br>Wehret den Anfängen</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby AlicetheCurious » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:22 am

In Afghanistan for the past 5 years, the US-led occupation troops have been engaging in indiscriminate killing of innocent men, women and children, and every kind of human rights abuse.<br><br>As long as the networks didn't bother covering the behaviour of these foreign invaders, then it didn't exist as far as the West was concerned.<br><br>The so-called "resurgence of the Taliban" which is only now being covered in the West, is actually a huge, grass-roots resistance movement. Although it does include elements of the Taliban, it also involves all kinds of people who have been disgusted and outraged by the crimes of the occupation. Those who have lost members of their family or tribe have swelled the resistance, which has shocked the occupation troops in Afghanistan with its power. <br><br>Despite the incredible poverty of its people, Afghanistan is a gold-mine for the occupiers. Not only strategically important, and THE most important source for heroin and hashish in the world (great for funding black-ops like "al Cia-duh"), but now it's been discovered to have important petroleum and gas resources of its own.<br><br>So, they're not likely to leave any time soon. No matter which sock-puppet is in the White House.<br><br>Meanwhile, history teaches us that the longer the occupation of Afghanistan continues, the more savage the resistance will become. So, the US has one leg sinking into the quicksand of Iraq and now another leg is sinking into Afghanistan. The "War on Terror" has cost US taxpayers almost US$ 600 billion in five years, only to create an unprecedented level of fear and loathing for America across the globe.<br><br>American policies at home have shocked those abroad who used to believe the US propaganda about its dedication to freedom and human rights. America has tried for five years to use the "al Qaeda" bogeyman, but has made itself into the ultimate bogeyman, a bigger and more immediate threat than "al-Qaeda" could ever be.<br><br>It'll be fascinating to see how long this New American Century lasts. <br> <p></p><i></i>
AlicetheCurious

Postby yablonsky » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:47 am

Alice, i enjoy your posts as many others do. keep up the good work!<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>It'll be fascinating to see how long this New American Century lasts. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>the chatter is pitched insanity on everything from real estate to international finance & trade, investment advise, survival advise, markets, money, et al...<br>i lost my train of thought. <p></p><i></i>
yablonsky

Return to The "War on Terror"