Tantra-Induced Delusional Syndrome ("TIDS")

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Tantra-Induced Delusional Syndrome ("TIDS")

Postby American Dream » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:54 am

Taking a Leap of Faith

by by Vikram Gandhi

http://www.moviemaker.com/directing/art ... _20120619/

Vikram Gandhi, minus his Kumaré trappings.

Director Vikram Gandhi is not a guru. But he plays one in the documentary Kumaré, opening tomorrow, which sees him adopt the guise of an Eastern spiritual leader as way to explore the issue of why so many people flock to them. What starts out as a funny (sometimes cringingly so, as in the scene where Kumaré leads a group of New Age true believers in a ridiculous session of Sound Healing) and insightful look into the realm of New Age spiritualism takes a turn for the serious and insightful when the fake guru and his fake religion start attracting real followers—people who rely on the teachings of their Indian guru who, unbeknownst to them, is actually a moviemaker from New Jersey with a fake Indian accent.

Below, Vikram Gandhi writes about the experience of directing the film—and how “director” and “spiritual leader” really aren’t as far apart as most would assume them to be.

In my film Kumaré, I impersonate a wise guru from the East and start a following of real people in Arizona. In order to look the part, I grew my beard and my hair to Gandolfian lengths, wore a sarong and mala beads and carried a five-foot-tall custom-made trident. I looked like the kind of reggae fan who sells oils and incense on Venice Beach. But people called me a guru, therefore I was considered one by everyone I met.

When directing a movie without a script, without a clue how it would turn out, without a genre to rely on for structural guidance, you need people to believe in you and your vision. And you have to find inspiration from wherever and whomever possible.

My six-person team and I, as the revered Sri Kumaré, spent months rolling around Arizona meeting characters who professed to have all sorts of wisdom. We had Easter with a New Age Christian priestess who was married to an Elvis impersonator, channeled Siddhartha Gautama in her backyard and gave aura readings for a small fee. We ran into a Sanskrit scholar of great academic acclaim in a Vortex surrounded by a fleet of disciples. I talked to a psychic who guessed my birthday upon my entering his consultation room—and said I was there to lay judgment on the world around me. And these encounters are all in a two-hour stop for lunch in Sedona, a place that in itself feels like a movie set.

On one journey into the desert, I met a spiritual leader named Gabriel of Urantia. To me, Gabriel lacked any detectable charisma. Yet he ruled over a vast utopian community of a hundred people who believed themselves a “cosmic family” of intergalactic descendents reunited on a farm by the Mexican border. They each had a D&D-esque name, like Amadon or Centria, bestowed upon them by their leader. For the people on the inside, “Living in the fourth dimension,” this man had the answers to the big questions of humanity. To me, a lowly 3-D outsider, his tale seemed too genre, almost cartoonish—alien abduction, divine voices, great epiphanies. To Kumaré, he was an ingenious storyteller. We all had the same question: How had he built this tiny empire? How did he get people to believe him—or, rather, in him?

As the story goes, about 10 years ago, Nancy, a statuesque and eloquent woman, decided that this man was indeed channeling the celestial deity Paladin. Why or how she interpreted his fantastic incantations for cosmic authority is beyond me. But she did. She moved into a trailer park with him. Tony from Pittsburgh renamed himself Gabriel of the planet Urantia (also known as Earth) and renamed his bride Niann. She soon found herself inviting new followers into their yurts. After that, it’s not hard to see how people could align themselves with the enigmatic pair. Their lives were inspired by a higher vision and direction, i.e., purpose and a narrative structure. Few people have these. If she believes, why wouldn’t I?

There is a fine line between a raving lunatic and spiritual leader. It is those first believers that turn a delusion of grandeur into a feasible worldview. In my case, my first believers were my producers. Luckily they were my old friends and business partners. Bryan was my classmate in Indo-Tibetan philosophy class in college. I was writing about the intersection of physics and Kashmir Shaivism, Bryan about Buddhist deities and Freud. Brendan had been an improv actor in a comedy troupe and a was master of all things production. We all worked at the television station in college on comedy programming. We were a Hindu, a Catholic and a Jew, all disgruntled by the illusions around us and driven by similar reasons. While the film features me, it is about all of us. And we want it to resonate with everyone.

Bryan and Brendan knew my flaws and my strengths perhaps better than I. They encouraged me to take improv classes, become a refined yoga practitioner, speak clearly and hone my message. Because they were educated with the same academics and laughed at the same jokes, the vision soon became our communal vision. Their initial belief in me was what allowed me to dress up like a crazy man and not feel like one. After that, we were capable of building a team without a script or any guarantees. We got a producer who worked with Sacha Baron Cohen and had studied religion like us. After, each new person came to the table with their own motivations, drawn from their own personal experience. Everyone took a leap of faith to join this crazy experiment because other people had been bold enough to. For a brief moment, Kumaré the Production was a religious movement. Perhaps the students we met in the film were open to Kumaré because they admired his believers, i.e., my film crew.

Gabriel, a cinephile and film critic, was himself in many ways an amazing director. His vision is as expansive as that of any great storyteller. He mastered making life imitate art. He created a new seductive version of reality based on communal, eco-conscious living. I loved it there. And people loved Kumaré back.

The world Gabriel had created was epic, not because of the Hobbit houses that the residents of Urantia lived in, but because it functioned on a sublime narrative that kept all his residents excited and inspired. Every day they worked on the commune, and then every night they read the next chapter from the multi-volume The Urantia Book, their holy text. He was a master at telling a story, a modern-day Scheherazade. Story keeps people happy; it creates order and purpose.

But Gabriel was by no means perfect. Over our time together, he often forgot historic details of his own life: His kids’ names, the order of their births, the details of his “secret” alien abduction (which is clearly made public in the forward to his book).

His council of elders were quick to correct and narrate the story for him. Once Gabriel admitted to instating a vegetarian diet for the community while in his own quarters would often succumb to his craving for Italian meatballs. (Perhaps there is still a little Tony from Pittsburgh left in him.) But all of this is forgivable. Perhaps he is just doing the best he can for the world he’s created. And maybe he does communicate with the celestial being Paladin. I’ve learned not to lay judgment.

Religions, like films, are the sum of their parts and built on the work of many. They attract us more because of a seductive narrative arc than any logical truth. Kumaré the guru was merely a prop at the center of Kumaré the religion and Kumaré the film. The film is way bigger than him, or me. It was only built because the first believers got behind a vision.

In the film, I impersonate a guru. But in real life was I just impersonating a director? It’s only because other people believed in me that I became one. They maintained the vision and direction in the times when I lost mine. It’s what every low-budget independent filmmaker knows and every fallen spiritual leader painfully discovers: You need them more than they need you.

Kumaré comes out in limited release tomorrow, June 20th, at the IFC Center in New York City, with screenings in Los Angeles, Boulder, Denver, Seattle and more scheduled for the coming weeks. To find out and more about the film and keep up with future screenings, visit http://www.kumaremovie.com .

Last edited by American Dream on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Dream

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby American Dream » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:16 pm

http://www.turningwheelmedia.org/why-gu ... %E2%80%9D/

Posted by Dawn in Leadership as Practice

Why Guerrilla Theater? A Behind the Scenes Look at “Who Speaks?”

The Guerrilla Theater team makes final plans for the May 20th
event "What's Up with Engaged Buddhism? Part 1: Who Speaks?"

Our recent event “What’s Up With Engaged Buddhism?” started because I was in a total panic.

It was January. I had suddenly stepped in as Acting Director of the Buddhist Peace Fellowship while Sarah Weintraub went on temporary disability, trying to get healthy after picking up a number of mysterious illnesses on a fall trip to Colombia to reconnect with her peace work there.

I reached out to elders in the BPF network for any help they could give. David Loy quickly responded, “I’ll be in the Bay Area on May 20. We could do an event while I’m there.”

Donald Rothberg offered, “I can help with that. We could do a talk, perhaps on The Future of Engaged Buddhism.”

“Great,” I said with relief and immense gratitude. “It would be interesting as a dialogue between elders and youth. Let’s figure out details as it gets closer.”

Who Should Speak about The Future of Socially Engaged Buddhism?

I sat with this question for six weeks: Who should speak on a panel about The Future of Socially Engaged Buddhism?

My initial thought was to pull together a panel of some of the biggest names in US socially engaged Buddhism. In addition to David and Donald, we could invite folks like Alan Senauke, Joanna Macy, Joan Halifax, Bernie Glassman, Fleet Maull.

I looked at my list and visualized this panel in my mind. It was an older generation of teachers, strikingly white, more men than women. Is this the future of engaged Buddhism? Where are the young people, those of us who will be living this future? With 40% of Generation Y being people of color, how can BPF possibly be relevant if we don’t center the voices of younger people of color in this dialogue?

In an attempt to diversify, I constructed a panel that included a hybrid of voices: leading teachers on socially engaged Buddhism and people who teach and practice outside of formal lineages. I invited Alka Arora and Katie Loncke, two younger women of color Buddhists to join the panel and balance the backgrounds of Donald Rothberg and David Loy.

But Who Really Speaks?

As Katie joined the BPF team in April, she took the lead on planning this event as one of her first projects. While I had asked “Who will speak on the panel?” Katie asked bigger questions.

“Who speaks at the event?”

With invited panelists, there are a set of people with “proper” credentials and experience who are allowed to speak with authority from the front of the room. Because of racism, sexism, and other forms of domination in the world we live in, the majority of folks who have earned the proper credentials to speak tend to be older white males. In attempting to diversify the event, were we falling into a trap of tokenizing folks by only inviting them to participate if they are willing to play by the already established rules of earning authority through formal education and approval of already established teachers? Can we actually have a diversity of views and experiences, if those who dissent or question the establishment are filtered out or drummed into submission in this system? How can we bring in the voices of everyone in the audience, regardless of credentials? Will some audience members revolt if they come to the event expecting experts to speak?

“Who even shows up to the event to speak?”

If we only reach out to our traditional Buddhist networks, our audience members will represent mainstream Bay Area Buddhists – leaning white, middle class, and Baby Boomer generation. How do we design an event that is interesting to a younger, more diverse generation that might not identify as Buddhist? Who is comfortable with the format of sitting meditation with a dharma talk afterward? Who feels better in other kinds of formats, such as chanting, discussion groups, or participating in a performance?

“Why is speaking the most important way to communicate anyway?”

As Buddhists, we know that speech isn’t the only form of knowing. Our mindfulness practice teaches us that silence can be a greater teacher. Yet we also glorify the dharma talk as a primary way of communicating about Buddhism.

Katie Loncke reprised this question in her talk: “What are other ways we communicate as socially engaged Buddhists that don’t have to do with speech? We communicate through art – like Kenji Liu’s art here tonight. We communicate through the way the room is set up. We communicate through how we serve food, how we garden. As socially engaged Buddhists, is this part of participating in the valuing of mental labor over manual labor?”

Who Speaks? It Depends on the Format

Out of these many questions emerged the idea: what if questions shape the event? Before we can talk about the Future of Engaged Buddhism, we have to ask questions about how this future is constructed and who gets to shape it.

“Probably the most powerful ‘Buddhist’ tool I feel I can offer children is identical to what is called ‘critical thinking’ in modern education – the ability to formulate questions that can open up new areas of thought and being, and the courage to do so. What greater gift can we give, since surely we do not have all the answers?”
– Mushim Patricia Ikeda, in Not Turning Away: The Practice of Engaged Buddhism.

Our final format opened up more questions than provided answers. It included surprise guerrilla theater, audience discussion groups, remarks from our panelists that centered on questions, and then a large group discussion that looked at answers. We were graced with the presence of Buddhist activist art by Kenji Liu.

Why multiple formats? No one of them is perfect. Each format allows for some kinds of speech, and closes down the possibility for others. We got to experience for ourselves: What forms of speech do we find comfort in? What speech makes us uncomfortable? The guerrilla theater opening in particular was designed to interrupt the expected panel format, an interruption that creates space for us to ask questions about how format and social norms allow some of us to speak with ease while others must fight to be heard.

For some participants, the switching of formats was hard to follow. Katie Loncke was the first speakers after a period of discussion. We hadn’t communicated clearly enough that this section would be more formal remarks rather than open discussion. We were sitting in a circle, which appeared to invite open sharing.

As Katie began posing her series of questions, a participant sitting next to her wanted to interject his thoughts. We got to witness an impromptu scene of “Who Speaks?” You can watch this for yourself in the video of Katie’s talk. How do we feel when she is interrupted? Does it feel like a replay of the opening guerilla theater piece, with a white man taking the mic away from a woman of color? Do we dismiss his statements quickly because they are inappropriately timed? Do we want him to take the mic because he is an audience member who has been given minimal authority to speak and is trying to reassert space for dissenting opinions? Do we feel embarrassed on his behalf that he hadn’t tracked this change in format? Is there a clear victim in this scene, one who is clearly silenced while the other asserts power?

Power, Authority, & Who Speaks for Movements

As a new leader at Buddhist Peace Fellowship, I have too often questioned my own authority to speak about socially engaged Buddhism. I’m not a teacher. I haven’t read enough. I haven’t written enough. No one knows me. If my title at BPF is not enough to bestow authority, how can others we need in our movement step into their authority as socially engaged Buddhists?

As Buddhists, we place a lot of value in the authority of our teachers. We can get obsessed with lineages, and many traditions have formal ceremonies for bestowing new people with the authority to teach. Yet the Buddha also admonishes, “Don’t blindly believe what I say …. Find out for yourself what is true and virtuous.”

David Loy spoke to this in his remarks, “If we say Buddhists are against hierarchy, that’s true, but it’s only a half truth. Yes, we all have the same Buddha nature. But it’s also true that in our sanghas, there’s a distinction made between teachers, between people who are more advanced in their spiritual practice than others.”

At our event, we held both of these truths. We all have the same Buddha nature and can access its wisdom. Yet we also value the wisdom of teachers whose practice, study, and reflection have much to teach us about accessing this wisdom. In the guerrilla theater section, we also held both the wisdom of knowing something in our head, and the wisdom of feeling it in the body. We will need to access all of this wisdom – and more – if we are to face the immense challenges of our times.
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:20 pm

"Pain is important: how we evade it, how we succumb to it, how we deal with it, how we transcend it."

— Audre Lorde
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:26 pm

American Dream

Postby American Dream » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:18 pm

Detachment is not that you should own nothing,
but that nothing should own you.

— Ali ibn abi Talib
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:15 pm

Code Name Artichoke - The CIA's Secret Experiments on Humans

In April of 1950, Dr. Frank Olson received a diplomatic passport, unusual for an army scientist. Did he have a new job? In the following years, he traveled often to Europe, including making several trips to Germany.

22.00 Voice of Norman Cournoyer/Friend of Frank Olson:
“He was a member of the CIA. I only found this out after he told me about it. To me he was a Captain. That's all I knew about it at first. It turned out that he was a CIA agent. And stayed on, right on through to 1953.”

Pictures taken in Frankfurt and Heidelberg will later turn up among Olson’s slides. These cities were home to the US Army’s most important facilities in Germany. There is also a picture of the top secret CIA headquarters in Germany, located in the building of IG Farben in the heart of Frankfurt.

What is Olson’s new assignment? He is now working in an area that has nothing to do with biological weapons. Here, in the German offices of the CIA, the biochemist is conducting important conversations with US intelligence officers.

Increasingly, he can be found in the company of other CIA agents, including a certain John McNulty. It has to do with a top secret project to use chemicals, drugs and torture on human beings in order to break their will and make them submissive. Brainwashing.

The code name for this operation: Artichoke.

(Visual text!)
“The (...) team would enjoy the opportunity of applying
“Artichoke” techniques to individuals of dubious loyalty, suspected agents or plants and subjects having known reasons for deception.”

In Oberursel, in the Taunus hills north of Frankfurt, hidden in old half-timbered houses, the US Army led a quiet interrogation center: “Camp King”. It was primarily Soviet agents and defectors from East Germany who were kept here, people the CIA considered to be communist spies. Special teams, the so-called “rough boys”, interrogated the prisoners.

Former SS member Franz Gajdosch was hired just after the war by the Americans to tend the bar in the officers’ mess at Camp King. Sometime in the year of 1952, in the top secret interrogation center, Gajdosch runs across another German: Professor Kurt Blome.

24.42 Voice of Franz Gajdosch-dt./ Former barkeeper at “Camp King”:
“For a long time, Blome was a doctor at Camp King, he also ran the clinic. He was a protégé of the Americans, and had been a concentration camp doctor. He conducted experiments.”

The American officers who lived the good life at Camp King aren’t disturbed about Blome’s past. Was the former concentration camp doctor expected to lend his experience for their own planned experiments on human beings? A CIA consultant began planning the Artichoke experiments as early as September of 1951.

(Visual text!)
“The conversations at Oberursel pointed up (...) signs
and symptoms of drugs that might be used (...) We should look into the use of amnesia-producing drugs.”

25.34 Voice of Franz Gajdosch-dt./ Former barkeeper at "Camp King":
“Of course their methods were not humane, they exerted a lot of pressure. There are ways of breaking people. At Camp King, they were notorious, the “rough boys” – anything somebody didn’t want to reveal, they would try to get it out of them.”

There are many indications that the cruel experiments involving human beings – “Operation Artichoke” – took place in this isolated CIA safe house near Camp King, at the edge of a town called Kronberg.

The former “Schuster Villa”, now called “Haus Waldhof", was built shortly after the turn of the century as the summer residence of a Jewish banking family from Frankfurt. The Nazis confiscated it in 1934, and the Americans took it over after the war.

26.33 Voice of Franz Gajdosch-dt./Former bartender at “Camp King”:
“The neighbors, the community didn’t know who it was, what this place was, because the military personnel going in and out of the house weren’t in uniform, they wore civilian clothing. The vehicles had no license tags, so the community wasn’t even aware it was an American facility.”

At “House Waldhof,” in June 1952, the CIA begins conducting brain-washing experiments, using various drugs, hypnosis, and probably torture. One of the top secret protocols documents a Russian agent being pumped full of medication.

The goal of the experiments is to manipulate the human mind in order to extract secrets from its subjects. And then to erase their memory, so they can’t remember what happened to them.

Dr. Frank Olson arrived in Frankfurt on June 12, 1952, from Hendon Military Airport near London. He left the Rhine-Main region three days later, on June 15.

On June 13, experiments are conducted with “Patient No. 2”, a suspected Soviet double-agent.

28.03 Voice of Norm Cournoyer
“He was troubled after he came back from Germany one time. He came back and told me and he said Norm, I tell you right now you and I never talked about this, but we were both grown-ups and this was rough. He said ‘Norm, you would be stunned by the techniques that they used.’

They made people talk! They brainwashed people! They used all kinds of drugs, they used all kinds of torture.”

The CIA’s unscrupulous experiments on human beings continued the Nazi drug experiments they learned of during the liberation of the Dachau concentration camp.

28.43 Voice of Norman Cournoyer
“They were using Nazis, they were using prisoners, they were using Russians, and they didn't care whether they got out of that or not.”

Meanwhile, the US army was conducting extensive experiments with a new miracle drug: LSD. Here, for example, a soldier was expected to assemble a rifle while under the influence of the hallucinogen.

The army’s LSD experiments took place on the campus of the Chemical Corps in Edgewood Arsenal. The scientists who worked in these laboratories in the early fifties, and who collaborated closely with Frank Olson, were looking for new hallucinogenic substances. They hoped to find a way to use the drugs on the battle ground.

Dr. Fritz Hoffmann, a chemist from former Nazi Germany, had been hired a few years earlier to spur the search for new behavior-modifying substances. Immediately after the war he courted the Americans, seeking to ensure a job in the United States.

30:21 Voice of Bennie E. Hackley/Chemical Corps US Army:
“There was an interest in the U.S. during that time in looking at mood-altering drugs from LSD to BZ and other possible mood-altering drugs. Fritz was interested in that area as well.”

After its experiments on soldiers, the army saw potential in using LSD and other drugs to sedate and “dope” enemy troops. In short order, it would be possible to conquer territory without a fight.

A short time later, the CIA begins conducting its own LSD experiments in the bohemian New York neighborhood of Greenwich Village, on Bedford Street. But unlike the army experiments, the subjects of these tests, which took place in an apartment disguised as a brothel, would not be informed. The CIA hired prostitutes to pour LSD into their customers’ drinks. And then lure them into revealing secrets.

31.41 Voice of Ira (“Ike”) Feldman/Former CIA agent
“My purpose was to see that we got guys up there we wanted to talk and through other people we got prostitutes to talk to these guys and each prostitutes would put something - which I found out later was LSD - into their drink and made them talk. Either they wanted to talk about narcotics, security or crime. This was all part of the CIA experiments. They called it ‘dirty tricks'”.

LSD, it was soon learned, was a much more effective way to loosen the tongue than alcohol was.

Deep Creek Lake in western Maryland, a three-hour drive from Washington. In an isolated vacation house at the edge of the lake, the CIA’s “dirty tricks” department converged here for a meeting with ten of its scientists in November 1953.

The meeting is about Artichoke. According to the invitation, it was a conference for sports journalists. But in reality, the participants, one of them Frank Olson, were to be placed under the influence of LSD.

One of the drinks has been spiked. Later, it will be said the CIA was conducting a kind of self test – but without the knowledge of the participants.

33.07 Voice of Ira (“Ike”) Feldman/Former CIA agent:
“I do not think again from what I heard, that he was drugged because he was a security agent. He was drugged because he talked too much.”
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:58 pm

American Dream

Postby American Dream » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:42 am

“In touch with the erotic, I become less willing to accept powerlessness, or those other supplied states of being which are not native to me, such as resignation, despair, self-effacement, depression, self-denial.”

“…This is one reason why the erotic is so feared, and so often relegated to the bedroom alone, when it is recognized at all. For once we begin to feel deeply all the aspects of our lives, we begin to demand from ourselves and from our life-pursuits that they feel in accordance with that joy which we know ourselves to be capable of. Our erotic knowledge empowers us, becomes a lens through which we scrutinize all aspects of our existence, forcing us to evaluate those aspects honestly in terms of their relative meaning within our lives. And this is a grave responsibility, projected from within each of us, not to settle for the convenient, the shoddy, the conventionally expected, nor the merely safe.”

Audre Lorde, Uses of the Erotic: The Erotic as Power
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:49 pm

American Dream

Postby American Dream » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:26 pm

Pharoah Sanders - Hum-Allah-Hum-Allah-Hum-Allah
[Jewels of Thought] 1969

American Dream

Postby American Dream » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:51 pm

Six Hits of Sunshine wrote:Godspeed...

EFF Will Represent The Oatmeal Creator in Fight Against Bizarre Lawsuit Targeting Critical Online Speech

Baseless Suit Claims Online Trademark Infringement and ‘Cyber-Vandalism’
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is joining with attorney Venkat Balasubramani of the law firm Focal PLLC to represent The Oatmeal creator Matthew Inman in a bizarre lawsuit targeting the online comic strip’s fundraising campaign in support of the American Cancer Society and the National Wildlife Federation.

“I have a right to express my opinion, whether Mr. Carreon likes it or not,” said Inman. “While the lawsuit may be silly, the harm it can do is very real.”

Inman started his campaign last week as part of a protest over legal threats he received from the website FunnyJunk. In 2011, Inman published a blogpost noting that FunnyJunk had posted many of his comics without crediting or linking back to The Oatmeal. A year later, FunnyJunk claimed the post was defamatory and demanded $20,000 in damages. Inman crafted a unique response, which included some comic art. Instead of paying the baseless demand, Inman asked for donations for the American Cancer Society and the National Wildlife Federation. The campaign raised more than $200,000 so far.

An attorney for FunnyJunk, Charles Carreon, has now responded with a lawsuit filed on his own behalf. Carreon’s suit names Inman, the two charities, and the online fundraising platform IndieGoGo, claiming trademark infringement and incitement to “cyber-vandalism.”

“This lawsuit is a blatant attempt to abuse the legal process to punish a critic,” said EFF Intellectual Property Director Corynne McSherry. “We're very glad to help Mr. Inman fight back.”

https://www.eff.org/press/releases/eff- ... g-critical

You are right- Carreon surely has a very bad case of Tantra-Induced Delusional Syndrome...

Last edited by American Dream on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:42 pm

American Dream

Postby American Dream » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:27 pm

[Psychedelic chemist "Sasha"] Shulgin wrote the foreward to [retired U.S. Army colonel Dr. James S.] Ketchum’s self-published memoir, Chemical Warfare: Secrets Almost Forgotten (http://www.forgottensecrets.net), which lifts the veil on the Army’s little known drug experiments and illuminates a hidden chapter of marijuana history. A graduate of Cornell University Medical School, Ketchum describes how he was assigned as a staff psychiatrist to Edgewood Arsenal, located 25 miles northeast of Baltimore, in 1961. “There was no doubt in my mind that working in this strange atmosphere was just the sort of thing that would satisfy my appetite for novelty,” wrote Ketchum. Soon he became Chief of Clinical Research at the Army’s hub for chemical warfare studies. Although the Geneva Convention had banned the use of chemical weapons, Washington never agreed to this provision, and the U.S. government poured money into the search for a non-lethal incapacitant.

Nurses preparing drug dosage and recording data

The U.S. Army Chemical Corp’s marijuana research began several years before Ketchum joined the team at Edgewood. In 1952, the Shell Development Corporation was contracted by the Army to examine “synthetic cannabis derivatives” for their incapacitating properties. Additional studies into possible military uses of marijuana began two years later at the University of Michigan medical school, where a group of scientists led by Dr. Edward F. Domino, professor of pharmacology, tested a drug called “EA 1476” – otherwise known as “Red Oil” – on dogs and monkeys at the behest of the U.S. Army. Made through a process of chemical extraction and distillation, Red Oil (akin to hash oil) packed a mightier punch than the natural plant.

Army scientists found that this concentrated cannabis derivative produced effects unlike anything they had previously seen. “The dog gets a peculiar reaction. He crawls under the table, stays away from the dark, leaps out at imaginary objects, and as far as one can interpret, may be having hallucinations. It would appear even to the untrained observer that this dog is not normal. He suddenly jumps out, even without any stimulus, and barks, and then crawls back under the table.” With a larger dose of Red Oil, the reaction was even more pronounced. “These animals lie on their side; you could step on their feet without any response; it is an amazing effect, and a reversible phenomenon. It has greatly increased our interest in this compound from the standpoint of future chemical possibilities.”

In the late 1950s, the Army started testing Red Oil on U.S. soldiers at Edgewood. Some GIs smirked for hours while they were under the influence of EA 1476. When asked to perform routine numbers and spatial reasoning tests, the stoned volunteers couldn’t stop laughing. But Red Oil was not an ideal chemical warfare candidate. For starters, it was a “crude” preparation that contained many components of cannabis besides psychoactive THC. Army scientists surmised that pure THC would weigh much less than Red Oil and would therefore be better suited as a chemical weapon. They were intrigued by the possibility of amplifying the active ingredient of marijuana, tweaking the mother molecule, as it were, to enhance its psychogenic effects. So the Chemical Corps set its sights on developing a synthetic variant of THC that could clobber people without killing them.

Clinical Research testing area (1961)

Enter Harry Pars, a scientist working with Arthur D. Little, Inc., based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, one of several pharmaceutical companies that conducted chemical warfare research for the Army. (Two Army contracts for marijuana-related research were awarded to this firm, covering a ten-year period beginning in 1963.) A frequent visitor to Edgewood, Pars synthesized a new cannabinoid compound, dubbed “EA 2233,” which was significantly stronger than Red Oil.

At the outset of this project, Pars had sought the advice of Dr. Alexander Shulgin, then a brilliant young chemist employed by Dow Chemical. Shulgin was a veritable fount of information regarding how to reshape psychoactive molecules to create novel mind-altering drugs. Eager to share his arcane expertise, it was Shulgin who first gave Pars the idea to tinker with nitrogen analogs of tetrahydrocannabinol: THC. Pars never told Sasha that he was an Army contract employee. A declassified version of Pars’ research was published in the Journal of the American Chemical Society (August 1966), wherein he thanked Shulgin for “drawing our attention to the synthesis of these nitrogen analogs.”

The U.S. Army Chemical Corps began clinical testing of EA 2233 on GI volunteers in 1961, the year Ketchum arrived at Edgewood Arsenal. When ingested at dosage levels ranging from 10 to 60 micrograms per kilogram of body weight, EA 2233 lasted up to thirty hours, far longer than the typical marijuana buzz.

http://www.cannabisculture.com/node/10699

The BEL ["hippie mafia" aka the Brotherhood of Eternal Love] scatters

Following a series of raids on the BEL in America, by early 1973 the authorities estimated that some 20 members were in hiding or in exile - including Stark. Timothy Leary ended up in Afghanistan, after fleeing the US, but the US Embassy evidently knew he was coming and got the Afghan authorities to deport him back to the USA. Ron Stark visited Afghanistan at least once with a plan to set up BEL facilities for making hallucinogenic THC [analogue] from Afghan hash oil. Thanks to Kemp's efforts, Stark had worked out the first eight of the fourteen stages of the THC synthesis. Stark had a minister of the Afghan regime in his pocket to set up a penicillin factory as a front, and a 'contact' with the US embassy: the BEL's chief hash supplier in Kabul, Aman Tokhi, worked there as a 'maintenance supervisor'.

Ronald Stark

http://w3.cultdeadcow.com/cms/2005/12/a ... iew-o.html

The most daring phase of the M.K.-Ultra program involved slipping unwitting American citizens LSD in real life situations. The idea for the series of experiments originated in November 1941, when William Donovan, founder and director of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), the forerunner of the CIA during World War Two. At that time the intelligence agency invested $5000 for the "truth drug" program. Experiments with scopolamine and morphine proved both unfruitful and very dangerous. The program tested scores of other drugs, including mescaline, barbiturates, benzedrine, cannabis indica, to name a few.

The U.S. was highly concerned over the heavy losses of freighters and other ships in the North Atlantic, all victims of German U-boats. Information about German U-boat strategy was desperately needed and it was believed that the information could be obtained through drug-influenced interrogations of German naval P.O.W.s, in violation of the Geneva Accords.

Tetrahydrocannabinol acetate, a colorless, odorless marijuana extract, was used to lace a cigarette or food substance without detection. Initially, the experiments were done on volunteer U.S. Army and OSS personnel, and testing was also disguised as a remedy for shell shock. The volunteers became known as "Donovan's Dreamers". The experiments were so hush-hush, that only a few top officials knew about them. President Franklin Roosevelt was aware of the experiments. The "truth drug" achieved mixed success.

The experiments were halted when a memo was written: "The drug defies all but the most expert and search analysis, and for all practical purposes can be considered beyond analysis." The OSS did not, however, halt the program. In 1943 field tests of the extract were being conducted, despite the order to halt them. The most celebrated test was conducted by Captain George Hunter White, an OSS agent and ex-law enforcement official, on August Del Grazio, aka Augie Dallas, aka Dell, aka Little Augie, a New York gangster.

Cigarettes laced with the acetate were offered to Augie without his knowledge of the content. Augie, who had served time in prison for assault and murder, had been one of the world's most notorious drug dealers and smugglers. He operated an opium alkaloid factory in Turkey and he was a leader in the Italian underworld on the Lower East Side of New York. Under the influence of the drug, Augie revealed volumes of information about the underworld operations, including the names of high ranking officials who took bribes from the mob. These experiments led to the encouragement of Donovan. A new memo was issued:

"Cigarette experiments indicated that we had a mechanism which offered promise in relaxing prisoners to be interrogated."

http://www.whale.to/b/caul.html

Hit That Jive Jack

American Dream

Postby American Dream » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Martin A. Lee wrote:Image
Nurses preparing drug dosage and recording data

The U.S. Army Chemical Corp’s marijuana research began several years before Ketchum joined the team at Edgewood. In 1952, the Shell Development Corporation was contracted by the Army to examine “synthetic cannabis derivatives” for their incapacitating properties. Additional studies into possible military uses of marijuana began two years later at the University of Michigan medical school, where a group of scientists led by Dr. Edward F. Domino, professor of pharmacology, tested a drug called “EA 1476” – otherwise known as “Red Oil” – on dogs and monkeys at the behest of the U.S. Army. Made through a process of chemical extraction and distillation, Red Oil (akin to hash oil) packed a mightier punch than the natural plant.

Army scientists found that this concentrated cannabis derivative produced effects unlike anything they had previously seen. “The dog gets a peculiar reaction. He crawls under the table, stays away from the dark, leaps out at imaginary objects, and as far as one can interpret, may be having hallucinations. It would appear even to the untrained observer that this dog is not normal. He suddenly jumps out, even without any stimulus, and barks, and then crawls back under the table.” With a larger dose of Red Oil, the reaction was even more pronounced. “These animals lie on their side; you could step on their feet without any response; it is an amazing effect, and a reversible phenomenon. It has greatly increased our interest in this compound from the standpoint of future chemical possibilities.”

In the late 1950s, the Army started testing Red Oil on U.S. soldiers at Edgewood. Some GIs smirked for hours while they were under the influence of EA 1476. When asked to perform routine numbers and spatial reasoning tests, the stoned volunteers couldn’t stop laughing. But Red Oil was not an ideal chemical warfare candidate. For starters, it was a “crude” preparation that contained many components of cannabis besides psychoactive THC. Army scientists surmised that pure THC would weigh much less than Red Oil and would therefore be better suited as a chemical weapon. They were intrigued by the possibility of amplifying the active ingredient of marijuana, tweaking the mother molecule, as it were, to enhance its psychogenic effects.

Killin' Jive
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:37 pm

http://visupview.blogspot.com/2010/11/nine.html

The Nine

On June 27th, 1953, nine individuals plus a medium gathered at an isolated cabin in the woods outside of Glen Cove, Maine to conduct a seance in which they would claim to make contact with the Great Ennead, the gods the ancient Egyptians had worshipped in the sacred city of Heliopolis. These gods, who were nine in number as well, were part of one great, creator god known as Atum. The other gods consisted of Shu, Tefnut, Geb, Nut, Osiris, Isis, Seth, Nephthys, and sometimes Horus. Communication with these entities was handled by the medium, an Indian gentleman referred to as Dr. D.G. Vinod, who slipped into a trance state at 12:15 AM and began speaking as 'the Nine' by 12:30. Afterwards Dr. Vinod would claim to have no memory of the conversation that preceded between the Ennead Nine and their human counterparts. During the course of the seance the mystical Nine informed the human nine that they would be in charge of bringing about a mystical renaissance on Earth. From there the Nine ventured into quasi-scientific, philosophical constructs that eventually led to the acknowledgement that they, the Grand Ennead, were in fact extraterrestrial beings living in an immense spaceship hovering invisibly over the planet and that the assembled congregation had been selected to promote their agenda on Earth.

Rationally the above scenario must be dismissed as a flight of madness by any who wish to make a claim upon sanity -Surely only the flakiest of New Age flakes would even consider such acts, live alone believe that they were possible. And that's exactly what is so disturbing about the above mentioned seance for the people that attended it may have been many things, but insane is not a strong possibility. Let us simply consider the names of the nine humans who spoke with the Ennead that night:

Henry and Georgia Jackson, Alice Bouverie, Marcella Du Pont, Carl Betz, Vonnie Beck, Arthur and Ruth Young and Andrija Puharich.

For those of you familiar with American high society one name should immediately standout: Du Pont. Marcella Du Pont was in fact a member of the fabulously wealthy clan, but the Du Ponts were hardly the only blue bloods in attendance.

There was also Alice Bouverie who was born Ava Alice Muriel Astor, a descendant of John Jacob Astor, and the daughter of Colonel John Jacob Astor IV, who had died aboard the Titanic when it sank. Her first husband had been an officer in the Czarist Army, Prince Serge Obolensky, who would go on to become a major operator in the OSS during WWII. Needless to say, Mrs. Bouverie was no stranger to the workings of the US intelligence community.

There was also Ruth Young, who had been known as Ruth Forbes Paine of the Forbes family, before marrying Arthur Young. Mr. Young was a famous inventor, working for the Bell Corporation, and had been instrumental in the creation of the Bell Helicopter. But the sway of this couple went well beyond the military-industrial complex. In fact, the enigmatic Arthur Young may be one of the most significant figures of the later 20th century. He was the chief financial patron behind the Nine for many years and a major influence on the New Age movement in general via his mystical writings such as Consciousness and Reality.

Then there's the bizarre connection Arthur and Ruth have to the Kennedy assassination via Michael Paine, Ruth's son from a previous marriage who married a woman also named Ruth.

This Ruth -previously Ruth Hyde before becoming Ruth Paine, was the daughter of a man employed by the Agency for International Development which, according to Peter Levenda in his Sinister Forces -Book One: The Nine, was a well known CIA front. By 1963 Michael and Ruth Paine had produced two children, but were separated while living in Irving, Texas, a suburb of Dallas. On February 22 1963 Ruth met Lee Harvey Oswald and his wife, Marina at a party being thrown amongst the emigre White Russian community. In fact, the Oswalds had been invited to the party by George de Mohrenschildt, a White Russian and a petroleum engineer with suspected ties to American intelligence who committed suicide in 1977 shortly before he was scheduled to appear before the House Sub-Committee on Assassinations.

Ruth Paine allegedly built an immediate bound with Marina Oswald and invited her to move into her home in Irving, Texas with her child while Lee Harvey Oswald went to New Orleans to seek work. When he returned to Dallas, Texas it was Ruth Paine who helped Lee get his job at the Texas School Book Depository while Marina and child continued to live with her. When the assassination occurred it was the Paines who led the police to the place where Oswald hid his rifle. In fact, much evidence used to damn Oswald was provided by Ruth Paine such as some of the famous photos of Oswald posing with his rifle, the 'spy camera,' the fake Alex Hidell documents, and so forth.

Peter Levenda, in the previously mentioned book, even goes so far to suggest that Ruth Paine may have taken Lee Harvey Oswald with her up to Philadelphia in 1963 when she stayed with her parents-in-law during her testimony to the Warren Commission:

"...Ruth Paine admitted that at one point Lee Harvey Oswald was considering going to Philadelphia. As soon as she mentions Philadelphia, Allen Dulles [former head of CIA -Recluse] chimes in and opined that it was presumably to find work, to which Ruth replied in the affirmative. This is what is known as 'leading the witness.' Philadelphia, of course, is where Arthur and Ruth Young lived, and Ruth had a habit of going up there every year in the summer... as she did in the summer of 1963. Did Arthur Young invite the young Marine defector to his wooded estate in Paoli?"
(Sinister Forces, pg. 268)

What interest could the man who straddled the line between war profiteer and New Age guru have in the man that would go on to be framed for the assassination of JFK? Why were his children-in-laws seemingly instrumental in the frame built up around Oswald? Perhaps we can gain some further insight into these question by considering the chief architect behind the Nine.

This brings us to the figure of Andrija Puharich, the man that had arranged the 1953 meeting in the first place.

Dr. Puharich had had previous contact with the Nine. His first encounter was also channeled via Dr. Vinod in the Maine woods near Glen Cove, only New Years Eve, 1952. This was part of his work with the Round Table Foundation, a research institute specializing in all kinds of arcane subjects such as cybernetics and ESP. It was founded in 1948 by Puharich with funding from a variety of individuals, most notably former Secretary of Agriculture and later Vice-President Henry Wallace. Wallace, a high-ranking Freemason, served under FDR and is the one responsible for placing the Great Seal with the Masonic capstone on the back of the dollar bill.

After both his first and second sessions of channelling the Nine via Vinod Puharich was drafted into the Army, the second time for nearly two years in which he served as a Captain at Edgewood Arsenal working on research into hallucinogenic drugs and psychic abilities.

Specifically Puharich was attempting to find a drug that would stimulate psychic ability, according to Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince in their marvelous The Stargate Conspiracy. It's also highly likely Puharich began what become a life time association with US intelligence. Prince and Picknett state:

"Ira Einhorn, Puharich's close associate in the 1970s, told us recently that, although Puharich had worked for the CIA during the 1950s, he was no longer doing so twenty years later. However, the evidence points very much in the other direction. Puharich's relationship with intelligence agencies almost certainly did not end in the 1950s. Uri Geller told us at a meeting in his home near Reading in England in 1998 that: 'The CIA brought Puharich in to come and get me out of Israel.' Jack Sarfatti goes further, claiming: 'Puharich was Geller's case officer in America with money provided by Sir John Whitmore.' And according to James Hurtak, via his Academy For Further Sciences, Puharich 'worked with the US intelligence community.' By implication this was during the early 1970s when he, Hurtak, was also working with him."
(The Stargate Conspiracy, pg. 206)

Picknett and Prince speculate that much of Puharich's work as a private citizen on things such as the Round Table Foundation and his research in Mexico on magic mushrooms may have also been on behalf of the US intelligence community.

It was during the trip, in 1956, that Puharich had his next contact with the Nine. He and Arthur Young along with psychic Peter Hurkos were down in Mexico searching for hallucinogenic drugs when they ran into an American couple from Arizona known as the Laugheads. The Laugheads claimed to be in contact with the Nine via a medium back in Arizona and to prove this, they sent a letter to Puharich the next month with detailed descriptions of what was discussed in Puharich's second seance with Vinod in 1953.

Puharich would not again had direct contact with the Nine until 1970 when he became involved with the Israeli stage magician and psychic Uri Geller. In November 1970 Puharich hypnotised the young Israeli and again made contact with the Nine after being informed of their great plans for Geller. The next year Puharich returned to Israel for a longer visit with Geller during which they were in almost frequent contact with the Nine, either channelled through the hypnotised Geller or appearing spontaneously on audio tapes, which then either erased themselves or vanished in plain sight. Ample paranormal activity constantly bombarded Geller and Puharich during this time as well.

Puharich brought Geller back to the US in 1972 so that he could be studied at the Sanford Research Institute. The high weirdness followed them there. The Geller experiments at SRI perfectly coincided with the first CIA experiments in psychic ability there, leading Picknett and Prince to speculate that Geller may have been a part of the SRI remote viewing research.

By 1973 Puharich and Geller went there separate ways. The chief figures in Puharich's communications with the Nine now became Sir John Whitmore and Phyllis Schlemmer, who formed an organization known as Lab Nine. Schlemmer would become the chief medium of the group during this time, after the brief involvement of the Daytona cook Bobby Horne, who I already discussed here. Schlemmer had become convinced of her psychic abilities at a very young age and founded the Psychic Center of Florida in Orlando in 1969 as a kind of school for developing psychics. She would go on to publish The Only Planet of Choice in 1992 that compiled various channellings with the Nine since 1974 and which became a runaway New Age bestseller.

Even by the mid-1970s the Nine had become big business. They had several wealthy backers such as members of the Bronfmans clan, Canada's richest family, and Italian nobleman Baron DiPauli. They would also gain celebrity backers such as Gene Roddenberry, the creator of Star Trek. Roddenberry would go on to incorporate references into Star Trek via The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine.

Puharich would drop out of the Lab Nine circle in 1980 and would seemingly have no more contact with the Nine from there on out. But by then it wouldn't matter. With wealthy and famous patrons the Nine were well on their way to developing a devoted cult following.

So to recap, we have a brilliant doctor and research scientist drafted into the US intelligence network for which he would continue an on again, off again relationship with till at least the 1970s. Much of his working during this time revolved around psychic ability and drugs and that would help unlock this ability. In the same time he was also channelling entities that claimed to be both the gods of ancient Egypt as well as space aliens, with the backing of wealthy and powerful patrons with deep ties to the military-industrial complex.

You also have the bizarre figure of Arthur Young, New Age guru and war profiteer who's legal relations were closely involved with the man framed for the assassination of JFK. By all accounts Young was a major player in the whole Nine affair, providing much of the funding up till the early 1970s.

So, what are we to make of the Nine and the powerful individuals that have flocked to them?

Picknett and Prince suggest two hypothesises. In the first one, the messages from the Nine are some kind of mass psychological experiment with broader psychological warfare application. In the second hypothesis the Nine are a reality but their message and/or motive may be much different than what the public is being told. The stargate of the title of the Picknett and Prince book alludes to their belief that Puharich was searching for some kind of drug that would open up mental contact with some form of non-human entity. Traditions of this have existed in various cultures for centuries, as I have written of here, concerning the communications that are possible in entheogen induced states.

I have also written extensively on the CIA's involvement in the spread of entheogens here. There are many mainstream explanations for this, eg the chaos and control these drugs can invoke in the wrong hands. But I have often wondered if there was a faction within the intelligence community that promoted the spread of entheogens for something far more mystical, such as mental contact with non-human entities that shamans have often spoken of in conjunction with these drugs.

Puharich was heavily involved in the spread of entheogens to the masses in the late 1950s, even writing a book on the subject entitled The Sacred Mushroom. Is it possible that he and some of his colleagues in the intelligence community sought to spread entheogens to the masses at the urgings of the Nine?

If so then the question becomes, to what purpose would the intelligence community want the masses to experience contact with such entities?
American Dream

PreviousNext

Return to Data & Research Compilations