Tantra-Induced Delusional Syndrome ("TIDS")

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Tantra-Induced Delusional Syndrome ("TIDS")

Postby American Dream » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:04 pm

http://boingboing.net/2013/08/09/bikram ... -accu.html

Bikram "Yoga" Choudhury accused of rape, sexual harassment, racism, homophobia, and unsafe practices related to the color green

Bikram Choudhury, founder of Bikram Yoga and notorious copyright troll, was recently accused of rape and sexual harassment by former students and employees. more details have come to light about the accusations, including Choudhury alleged racism, disparaging remarks about overweight people, gay people, and a long list of other sorts of people (women with small breasts, people with tattoos, etc). He also hates the color green so much that it is alleged he removed the emergency exit signs from hotel ballrooms where he was teaching.

According to a woman who trained with the cultish guru in Los Angeles, Choudhury doesn't limit his repulsive behavior to his close circle; he waxed poetic on his dick, women's bodies, and matrimony ("Love your bitch wife every moment," he advised) by way of introduction.

Sydney Towne said she kept a list of Bikram's behavior when she trained with him full-time from April to June 2012 because "he dislikes so many types of people" that "a list seemed like the only way to keep track of it all." She loved Bikram Yoga, but hated the way Bikram himself "completely takes advantage of people and their desire for wellness."

"I think he preys on people and there's such a cult of personality around him that people don't question his clearly inappropriate behavior," she said. "I completely believe all accusations against him."

Bikram Yoga Founder Hates Sluts and Fatties, Loves Talking About Dicks
American Dream

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby American Dream » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:05 pm

http://laist.com/2013/08/06/bikram_yoga ... m_rape.php

Bikram Yoga Founder Accused Of Rape, Racism

Bikram Choudhury teaching a yoga class. (Photo from Bikram Yoga via Facebook)

The man who founded Bikram Yoga—the Los Angeles-based, wildly popular "hot" form of the exercise that celebrities and presidents have practiced—is facing allegations of rape and racism from a former employee and more than one student.

Bikram Choudhury ran his company "like a cult," a lawyer for a former employee told The Huffington Post.

Carla Minnard says her client, Minakshi Jaffa-Bodden, was one of the few to stand up to Choudhury, who then reportedly threatened to have her client and her 8-year-old daughter deported. Minnard called the yoga guru "a dangerous person."

Jaffa-Bodden was a legal advisor at Bikram's Yoga College of India, which has locations all over L.A., including SIlverlake, Glendale and Pasadena. She filed her lawsuit on June 13 and accuses him of rape and sexual assault as well as promoting an atmosphere of misogyny, homophobia, and racism.

The lawsuit claims that Choudhury referred to female employees and others as "bitches," frequently went on rants against gays, and discriminated against African-American students, allegedly saying, "these blacks just don't get my yoga."

As Bikram's legal advisor, Jaffa-Boden learned of several allegations of sexual harassment by female students and was told it would be "best" if she "not look into it any further," the lawsuit states.

She claims her attempts to follow up were met by threats of violence and that she was forced to resign in March 2013.

"She did try to stop what she felt was illegal, immoral conduct," Minnard told The Huffington Post.

Two other lawsuits alleging sexual assault were filed in May against the guru. According to the IB Times, two female students accuse Choudhury of rape, with one also accusing him of false imprisonment, discrimination and harassment, among other counts.

Choudhury and his staff have not commented on the allegations, but the president of Bikram's college, Petra Starke, posted to Bikramyoga.com in May that her boss is "disappointed in the false charges made in this lawsuit. However, the matter is in the hands of his attorneys, and he will not have comment at this time."

For a profile piece in May in the L.A. Times, a staffer visited him at his La Cienega Boulevard studio and described the 67-year-old guru as someone who constantly name-dropped the celebrities he's "saved" (including Shirley MacLaine and Jennifer Aniston) and that three presidents—Clinton, Reagan and Nixon—were his students.

"He climbs onto a chair perched like a throne on a large mirrored cube, and dons a headset," the Times said of his teaching approach. "His introduction ranges from the compassionate to the profane, from the incomprehensible to the profound. Now, he is a soulful Indian. Now, an abuse-spewing Hollywood executive."

Senior Bikram teacher Emmy Cleaves, Choudhury's, one of his first students in Los Angeles, told the Times, "Sometimes he uses a little profanity. He never did that in the early years. He learned a lot of that from the show-biz people. He thought that was America."

Cleaves quoted him as saying, "In America, they say, you can take a horse to the pond, but you can't make him drink. My way is different. I only take the horse to the pond to make him drink. If he doesn't, I'll cut his head off."'

In a 2012 LA Weekly article, Choudhury was quoted as saying, "Lady Gaga listens to me. Her mantra is only one word—Bikram—because Bikram makes her what she is today. It works."

"I kind of run this city," he told the Weekly. "They depend on me."

In his new book Hell-Bent about his pursuit of "extreme yoga," author Benjamin Lorr described Choudhury as "an overgrown child and chronic liar with a penchant for emotional abuse."

There are now thousands of Bikram-trained instructors teaching at studios all over the world, according to the Weekly.
American Dream

Postby Hammer of Los » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Ananda great teacher!

Who deny Ananda great teacher!?!

Here are two excellent posts juxtaposed.

Thanks AD!

Besides which, maybe dey tap me fer ideas for Changing Images of Man part III!

I'd warn them.

I don't work cheap.

Tim Boucher one smart cookie, you know.

Smarter dan dat Chris Knowles chap, I reckon.

American Dream » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:33 pm wrote:
Tim Boucher with a good riff on Changing Images and Campbell’s involvement:

http://www.timboucher.com/journal/index ... =astronomy

Joseph Campbell advanced that understanding tremendously and his abstracted technical essence of myth was used to pattern a powerful new myth that fused science with a sense of transcendent mysticism: Star Wars (where Star Trek, on the other hand was an outgrowth of the more Humanist side of things). As close friends with George Lucas and a stated major influence of his work, Campbell via Lucas helped create an international myth to contain all the societal changes and upheavals that has gone on in the past two decades with the explosion of the consciousness movements and the New Age. It is no wonder than that Joseph Campbell is also listed as an author of a pivotal 1973 document, Changing Images of Man, allegedly funded by the US government, written by the Stanford Research Institute, and credited with inspiring the New Age movement by way of the Marilyn Ferguson book, the Aquarian Conspiracy - which is itself supposed to be a popular re-telling/propaganda version of the SRI report.

Conspiracy theories aside though (although I'm pretty sure all the information above is fairly well-established factually), Campbell also had a decidedly positive view of science and of humanity as a whole. He definitely subscribed to a model in which we could learn from the past and improve ourselves through effort and study (ie, evolution). He was also able to offer a vision of how science could be synthesized naturally with the rich spiritual history of mankind.

Which is not such a crazy idea after all, considering that the natural sciences in no small measure rose out of the occult sciences, such as alchemy and astrology. Campbell was a thinker whose vision was so vast that he could tie those threads back together again, all while glorifying both humanity and the transcendent mysteries of the universe. I don't, however, agree that his work denied The Creator, as the obviously literalist Christian author quoted above believes. If anything, he praised God and disdained the churches men built to contain Him and keep Him at bay - a true compatriot of the true Illuminati principles.

With these eyes, I think it's worthwhile to look at other spiritual thinkers today of similar popularity, if not stature. Ken Wilber, for instance, takes a slightly more technical-seeming, less "Follow Your Bliss" approach to spirituality. He treats spirituality like a science, which can be organized, analyzed and integralized rationally from top to bottom. Small wonder that he's so immensely popular today, or that he was tapped to help author the follow up report to the 1973 SRI document, Changing Images 2000.

What Campbell, and especially Wilber represent is that arm of science which is today trying to correct its willful ignorance and blindness about interior states. Science is trying to go beyond religion, go beyond psychology (ie, Transpersonal psychology) and fully map out our interior worlds. Why else do you find roots linking Timothy Leary's LSD and mushroom research to the CIA, or Terence McKenna to the Rockefellers? Because the scientists and the technocrats don't want to just continue saying that they can't see inside the human soul. They want to storm the gates of Heaven, map and colonize it. Traditional conspiracy theory would dictate that this is the closing manuever of the Illuminati war against humanity. But if we believe that science came out of the occult (which is a simple fact of history), then it only makes sense that science should want to go back there, now that it believes the culture has been primed and made mature enough to allow it without the interference of theocratic institutions (Islamic fundamentalism, anybody?).

Want more evidence that this is what science is doing? Look all around you: why do you think we're hearing all this fuss suddenly about Johns Hopkins University publicly "proving" that mushrooms cause mystical experiences? What about that Canadian scientist who has created a helmet that lets you experience God? Why are scientists trying to map the minds of meditating Buddhist monks? What is the emerging field of memetics (along with viral marketing) but the attempt to create a usable model of how ideas themselves operate independent of the individual? And that's without delving into any of the speculative stuff about government experiments in mind control, remote viewing and mounds and mounds of other psychic experimentation both here and abroad.

http://www.brainsturbator.com/forums/vi ... 8/P15/#702

[minimal editing done to attempt to clean up formatting and punctuation issues]

I would add that Esalen is a focus of the above tendency, and also that in matters of esoterica spiritual and moral purity are essential, lest your plans backfire.

Always remember.

Evil is always and ever hoist by its every petard.

Have faith in the innate moral order of the Cosmos.

For this next one, I might just highlight some sections I personally found pertinent.

American Dream » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:01 pm wrote:http://www.buddhistpeacefellowship.org/decolonize-enlightenment/

Decolonize Enlightenment

August 06, 2013

By Belinda Griswold

But do not ask me where I am going,
As I travel in this limitless world,
Where every step I take is my home.

- Dogen

Practicing the Buddhadharma is simple, not easy, as the old saying goes. Part of the “not easy” side of the equation is learning to trust our own understanding of the awakening process, both as individual practitioners and as communities of awakening.

For me, the biggest, bloodiest, gnarliest barrier to self-trust is what’s drily called patriarchy, and its many legacies of abuse, objectification and lack-of-confidence-in-all-things-female, myself included.

In contemporary Buddhist communities, convert and immigrant alike, patriarchy is the rule – with very few exceptions. The teachers are men. The statues are men. The language is male. The learning structures are (generally) heady, focused on “emptiness” and often implicitly anti-embodiment. The sex scandals and abuse (in more and less subtle forms) that go along with these forms are really not surprising, as tragic as they are for all involved. Even those communities that try mightily for egalitarianism end up smelling an awful lot like hierarchy.

All this colonization. All this is not news.

What’s interesting and fresh to me these days, as I emerge from a traditional hierarchical Tibetan Buddhist sangha, is what the decolonization journey can look like. And especially, how do we decolonize enlightenment?

How does our birthright of natural wakefulness, Buddha-nature, embodied wisdom/compassion inseparable come clear to us both within and without the patriarchal structures and human foibles of Buddhist institutions? How do we glean the goodness from our patriarchal traditions, while at the same time nourishing a growing, and powerful, trust in our own journey?

Buddhanature is a given. It is THE given in the genuine Dharma.

But learning to trust ourselves isn’t part of the traditional Buddhist curriculum, and for many women, and maybe men too, we can go on practicing for years, following the forms, never learning to listen to our own wisdom, always wondering why we aren’t “getting it,” always looking for wisdom, or turning away in discouragement.

The power and truth of the Dharma runs through the twin rivers of relative reality/insanity/oppression/confusion, and the pure stream of fresh understanding and connection that can arise at any time. When we sit down on the cushion, breathe deeply when the baby cries, get up early to get to the picket line, lock ourselves down to stop the pipeline bulldozers – when we feel and see into the radiant interdependence of all that is, we are home, if we can trust ourselves.

But here’s the rub: we are (mostly) confused! Those moments are few and far between for most of us. They feel like luck or happy chance. Suffering and discontent bring us to the Dharma. What brought me to the Dharma most deeply was seeing that despite my and others’ deep motivations for deep, nourishing, lasting social change, we kept creating destructive, oppressive structures in most of the good work we do. How painful.

So, we need to work on getting unconfused on a relative level. Most of us are blown mightily about by the winds of our own personal and crazy cultural karma, without even knowing. So, we need the forms, and teachers, to help us see this insane conditioning, and to see what may lie beyond it. That’s the power of the tradition and of lineage.

Thus, we find ourselves as student and teacher: one who asks, learns, receives, and one who gives. There’s a good reason for that. We need our teachers. As someone who has gone through deep disillusionment about the very human foibles of Buddhist institutions and the most beloved of teachers, I still know this.

If we’re honest with ourselves, we know we need help when we come to the path. That’s the essence of interdependence: depending on our teachers to help point us in the right direction, to help us see our own big fat blind spots, our own arrogance, ignorance and self-hatred. Training well and hard is the foundation of engaging this interdependence of learning.

But this interdependence can become a kind of dependence that turns in on itself in terrible ways, and especially for women, as I have learned the very hard way.

So at a certain point, we have to grow up. If we don’t, there’s the grave danger of infantilizing ourselves, deifying our teachers and the forms, and creating/fueling oppressive structures both within ourselves and within our community of practice.

There’s also the larger, social danger – seen everywhere today – that our communities become islands of self-involved peace seekers, never bringing the radical social and political change that is the beautiful, powerful promise of the Dharma.

So decolonizing enlightenment means both full engagement with traditional forms, full processing of our own patterns and craziness, and then what Vajrayana teacher Patrick Sweeney calls “the great switcheroo.” We train hard to tame our minds, and then we realize that all is the great field of Bodhi, and there is nothing we have to strive for or work for or try to become. It’s already here.

That means pulling back the projections from our teachers and the tradition. It means learning to listen, in a very deep way, to our own voices. It means creating new, egalitarian forms that will encourage this very process throughout the sangha and our activist communities. It means bringing this radical wisdom into all that we do to transform late-state-crazy-capitalism.

Is there a way to do this within Buddhist institutions? I don’t know. My own lineage is filled with stories of guys (of course) who had to leave the monasteries to really get it. The confines and rules and forms of the monastery were only helpful to a certain point. Then you have to light out.

But honestly, at this point in history and in the ecological and human crisis that threatens all of life, I don’t think we have time (or the interest) to spend our 20 years training and then head out for the hills for the realization that goes beyond “shoulds.” It’s time to join hands to create these opportunities within our sanghas and activist communities. That is the great challenge of our time. As the incredibly iconoclastic and amazing 17th Karmapa has said, now is the time to manifest all practice on behalf of the Earth.

So, let’s do that together. What could be more worthwhile?

Belinda Griswold is an activist on behalf of Mother Earth, a writer, facilitator of the Work that Reconnects, and practitioner of the Nyingma/Kagyu schools of Tibetan Buddhism. She lives in Boulder with her husband, a martial arts fighter, their wild dakini daughter, two pit bulls and an old cat. You reach her at belindagriswold@gmail.com

Last edited by Hammer of Los on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer of Los

Postby Hammer of Los » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:34 pm

(N)ow is the time to manifest all practice on behalf of the Earth.

Correct!

You win a no prize!

Now IS da time!

What be da answer ta ev'ry riddle?

Time!

Dis ting all tings devours!

What's da time Mr Wooleff?

It be long past midnight!

So lay off da flock!

For at my back I always hear, time's winged chariot hurrying near.

Hammer of Los

Postby American Dream » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:18 am

American Dream » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:58 pm wrote:I can't say much about the newer Starseed work, but I do have a few thoughts about the earlier Tim Leary stuff. I smell the hand of very sophisticated psy-ops in that.

I believe they were "channeled" when Leary was housed at Folsom Prison, before he was moved to Vacaviille Prison, a notorious MKULTRA site. I also believe that at least one of the four-person "telepathic team" was a likely CIA operative and confidence artist. That would be Joanna Harcourt-Smith, Tim's "wife", and somewhat of a junkie too.I can't say if the other members of the team were compromised, but certainly they were prisoners, and thus very vulnerable.

Interesting that Leary got into boosting space travel during and after these sessions, a place where arguably his line coincided with elite agenda. Interesting that his later friend Carol Rosin ("Mata Hari Von Brownie") was an intimate, even a disciple, of notorious space Nazi Werner Von Braun. Interesting also that Leary after the Starseed sessions became a big booster of the L5 Society which actively tried to turn on psychedelic people to a pro-space exploration agenda. Also interesting that L5 actively promoted space launches by a German company called OTRAG which featured Von Braun as scientific adviser and another big Nazi war criminal Kurt Debus (also of NASA) as Chairman of the Board.

For whatever it is worth, around this same time Marshall Applewhite, of later infamy with the Heaven's Gate suicide cult, was recruiting an earlier iteration of his mind control cult. He and another woman ("Bo" and "Peep") were recruiting people to give up all their earthly belongings to go underground with them so they could be taken by alleged "space brothers" to the stars. I don't know what ever happened to these people, but a lot disappeared.

So, anyway, my personal understanding is that Tim Leary was a CIA-affiliated psychologist who "spun out" into loose-cannon status but was then taken into CIA-linked mind control prisons through extraordinary rendition with the active collusion of his paramour Joanna Harcourt-Smith.
American Dream

Postby brainpanhandler » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:30 am

Speaking of space travel and Harcourts:
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby American Dream » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:38 am

Paging Dr. Puharich to the white courtesy phone, Paging Dr. Vinod. You have NINE mushroom pizzas waiting for you in the lobby and a Mr. Roddenberry wants to see you.

Paging Dr. Leary, an archon-loving Swiss socialite has a special delivery for you, paging Dr. Leary...

American Dream

Postby American Dream » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:43 pm

American Dream

Postby American Dream » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:07 am

http://www.acceler8or.com/2012/02/marti ... the-1960s/

LSD, The CIA, & The Counterculture Of The 1960s: Martin Lee (1986, Audio. Mondo 2000 History Project Entry #6

By R.U. Sirius & Ian Monroe

Some time in 1986, I walked into Cody’s Books in Berkeley and saw a book on prominent display titled Acid Dreams: The Complete Social History of LSD: The CIA, the Sixties, and Beyond by Martin Lee and Bruce Schlain. Containing an impulse to start dancing around the aisles, I grabbed a copy and bought it.

I think it’s fair to say that nothing fascinates psychedelic aficionados as much as the connection between acid and the US intelligence and military establishments during the 1950s and ’60s. For those who had profound and important experiences — and perhaps more to the point — for those who had subversive experiences that made them doubt the very existence of nation states and their borderlines amongst other antiestablishment insights, the notion that not only did the powerful view these substances as tools for war but that we all might be “useful idiots” in some psychologically and spiritually heightened Machiavellian war on consciousness was… yes… frightening, but even more, intriguing.

We were able to catch Martin Lee in San Francisco — who, at that time lived in Washington D.C. — while he was on his book tour. Jeff Mark aka Severe Tire Damage (“I was the one with the car”) and I had the pleasure of interviewing Marty over dinner.

As Queen Mu and I batted around ideas for an introduction to the q&a, it transpired that she was not wholly satisfied with what we had extracted from Marty about the possible conspiracies with nefarious sorts and we got on the phone with him.

That phone call was — as Mu was inclined to put it — utterly fascinating, and it did turn out that Lee harbored some suspicions that he hadn’t included in the book. This resulted in an introduction by Mu in which she wrote:

“In a recent telephone conversation, Marty continues to speculate — on the connections between Italian Fascist philosopher Julius Evola with his ‘spiritual warrior elite,’ Rene Guenon (the French Esotericist) and mescaline; on the reported fascination with psychedelics by Sartre, Maurice Merleau Ponti and Henri Michaux. The links are intriguing if difficult to pin down. Clearly though, by the 1930s, an awareness of hallucinogens had spread through artistic and literary circles in Berlin and other European capitals.

“All this merely contextualizes the real heavy-duty experimentation with psychedelics which Joseph Borkin stumbled on while researching The Crime and Punishment of I.G. Farben. A discovery which Borkin left out of the book was that I.G. Farben maintained, throughout the ’30s, a special secret division devoted to research on psychotomimetic agents. In Acid Dreams, Martin Lee detailed Nazi mind control experiments with mescaline carried out by Nazi doctors in Dachau. Here he raises the interesting point that LSD, first synthesized in 1938, actually fell into the ambit of I.G. Farben when they gobbled up Sandoz that same year. Curiouser and curiouser!”

This is a segment of the very long conversation between Martin Lee, R.U. Sirius and Jeff Mark and it involves a wide range of topics, including:

The mystical implications of the LSD experience
CIA, LSD and the counterculture in the 1960s
Secret societies amongst the ruling elite
Using psychoactive drugs as chemical weapons

The recording is a bit rough to hear in spots… but you can make out pretty much everything Marty says, and that’s the important part.

Listen to the audio now:

American Dream

Postby Hammer of Los » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Curiouser and curiouser indeed!

What a peculiar tale it is!

Con X Ions.

Hammer of Los

Postby American Dream » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:52 pm

When the US Army Built a Spray Gun to Spoil 'Condemned' Food with LSD

By Brian Anderson

This is probably the closest real-life approximation to the Armed Forces' destroyer of foodstuffs.
Photo via Department of Defense.

The idea wasn't to kill you. The idea was to fuck you up for your own good—unless you were an insurgent, in which case spasming, puking, shitting your pants, clutching your stomach (your insides burn), and hallucinating could well have been the fleeting first course of your uprising slowly fading, even starving, into oblivion.

The mission to create a foodstuff degrader occupies a curious place in the US Defense Department's long and sordid history of biological and chemical research and development. By the 1960s, the Army was already steeped in its so-called psychedelic Manhattan Project at Maryland's Edgewood Arsenal. Some of its engineers were busy designing mind-control bombs packed full of 3-Quinuclidinyl benzilate, the incapacitating agent better known as BZ. But until then the Army, let alone the Armed Forces writ large, had never quite confronted the problem with food head on.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/when-t ... d-with-lsd
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:10 am

Published on Monday, April 2, 2001 in the San Francisco Bay Guardian

The Pentagon's People Zapper

by Martin A. Lee

During the late 1950s Major General William Creasy, chief officer of the U.S. Army Chemical Corps, waxed enthusiastic about a new kind of "psychochemical" weapon that would revolutionize combat. He imagined aircraft swooping down over enemy territory, releasing clouds of hallucinogenic "madness gas" that would disorient people and dissolve their will to resist. According to Creasy, a nonlethal incapacitating agent such as LSD could subdue a foe without inflicting permanent injury.

Testifying before Congress, Creasy maintained that psychochemical warfare was not only feasible but tactically advantageous for certain difficult operations, such as dislodging enemy soldiers from a city inhabited by an otherwise friendly population – a busy industrial center, for example, with numerous museums and cultural landmarks. Why blow everything to smithereens with an old-fashioned artillery barrage if you can spike the city's water supply with LSD or disseminate an aerosol hallucinogen? Those under the spell of madness gas would become helplessly giddy, spaced-out, and incapable of fighting back while U.S. troops established themselves on once-forbidden turf. Victory would be a foregone conclusion. Just blow their minds, move in, and take over.

But Creasy's glowing predictions of "war without death" ran into a few technical glitches. For starters, it was impossible to discharge LSD in aerosol form. So the military-industrial surrealists concocted a more potent mind-bending drug known as BZ, which became part of the U.S. Army's chemical warfare arsenal in the early 1960s. Superhallucinogenic BZ gas was employed as a counterinsurgency weapon on a limited basis during the Vietnam war. The army eventually concluded that shifting wind patterns, BZ's tendency to trigger maniacal behavior, and the difficulties of controlling the amount of BZ absorbed during combat undermined its usefulness as a nonlethal incapacitant. An overdose of BZ could be fatal.

This, however, did not stop the CIA from fiddling with several BZ-related substances as part of its ongoing R&D program geared toward behavior modification and mind control techniques. A CIA memo dated September 4, 1970, emphasized the importance BZ-type weapons for crowd control: "Trends in modern police action and warfare indicate the desire to incapacitate reversibly and demoralize, rather than kill, the enemy. . . . With the advent of highly potent natural products, psychotropic and immobilizing drugs, a new era of law enforcement. . . is being ushered in."
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:28 pm

Lil Green – Knockin' Myself Out

American Dream

Postby American Dream » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:17 pm

http://www.levity.com/aciddreams/samples/lexington.html

Weird CIA Drug Experiments in Lexington, Kentucky

Like the Nazi doctors who experimented upon concentration camp inmates during World War II, the CIA victimized certain kinds of people who were unable to resist: prisoners, mental patients, the terminally ill, sexual deviants, ethnic minorities. Extensive CIA drug studies were conducted at the Addiction Research Center of the US Public Health Service Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky. Lexington was ostensibly a place where heroin addicts could go to shake a habit. Although it was officially a penitentiary, all the prisoners were referred to as "patients." The patients had their own way of referring to the doctors--"hacks" or "croakers"--who patrolled the premises in military uniforms. The patients at Lexington had no way of knowing that it was one of fifteen penal and mental institutions utilized by the CIA in its super-secret drug development program during the 1950s. To conceal its role the Agency enlisted the aid of the navy and the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), which served as conduits for channeling money to Dr. Harris Isbell, a gung-ho research scientist who remained on the CIA payroll for over a decade. According to CIA documents the directors of NIMH and the National Institutes of Health were fully cognizant of the Agency's "interest" in Isbell's work and offered "full support and protection."

When the CIA came across a new drug (usually supplied by American pharmaceutical firms) that needed testing, they frequently sent it over to their chief doctor at Lexington, where an ample supply of captive guinea pigs was readily available. Over eight hundred compounds were farmed out to Isbell, including LSD and a variety of hallucinogens. It became an open secret among street junkies that if the supply got tight, you could always commit yourself to Lexington, where heroin and morphine were doled out as payment if you volunteered for Isbell's wacky drug experiments. (Small wonder that Lexington had a return rate of 90%.) Dr. Isbell, a longtime member of the Food and Drug Administration's Advisory Committee on the Abuse of Depressant and Stimulant Drugs, defended the volunteer system on the grounds that there was no precedent at the time for offering inmates cash for their services.

CIA documents describe experiments conducted by Isbell in which certain patients--nearly all black inmates--were given LSD for more than seventy-five consecutive days. In order to overcome tolerance to the hallucinogen, Isbell administered "double, triple and quadruple doses." A report dated May 5, 1959, comments on an experiment involving psilocybin (a semi-synthetic version of the magic mushroom). Subjects who ingested the drug became extremely anxious, although sometimes there were periods of intense elation marked by "continuous gales of laughter." A few patients felt that they "had become very large, or had shrunk to the size of children. Their hands or feet did not seem to be their own and sometimes took on the appearance of animal paws...They reported many fantasies or dreamlike states in which they seemed to be elsewhere. Fantastic experiences, such as trips to the moon or living in gorgeous castles, were occasionally reported."

Isbell concluded, "Despite these striking subjective experiences, the patients remained oriented in time, place and person. In most instances, the patients did not lose their insight but realized that the effects were due to the drug. Two of the nine patients, however, did lose insight and felt that their experiences were caused by the experimenters controlling their minds."

Back to the Trip Guide.

An excerpt from Acid Dreams: The Complete Social History of LSD: The CIA, the Sixties and Beyond, by Martin A. Lee and Bruce Shlain (Grove Press)
American Dream

Postby MayDay » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF-6Y5-4cwI
Things have gotten somewhat out of hand. Bring on the tids, thank you.
MayDay

PreviousNext

Return to Data & Research Compilations