The “Alternative Right"

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The “Alternative Right"

Postby American Dream » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:55 pm

ALT FIGHT

Jason Jorjani Fancied Himself an Intellectual Leader of a White Supremacist Movement — Then It Came Crashing Down

Jorjani likes to speak elliptically, making wide and often demonstrably false academic claims. Some are absurd, like his belief that the pyramids in the lost city of Atlantis were built through collective psychokinesis, while other inaccuracies are perhaps imperceptible to the untrained.

Following Jorjani’s appearance at Spencer’s conference in Washington, a small controversy emerged about the dissertation Jorjani had written for his Ph.D. at the State University of New York-Stony Brook. An academic blog published a post on the controversy, and in a long comment, Thomas Davies, a Ph.D. student in classics at Princeton, picked apart Jorjani’s work. Jorjani bases an entire argument on the belief that the name of Norse god Tyr is a linguistic cousin to “tir”, the Persian word for “arrow”; in fact, according to Davies, “Tyr” is from a proto-Indo-European word for “god,” while “tir” comes from “tigra,” the Old Persian word for “pointy.” The similarities in sound may be convincing to a novice, but not to anyone trained in linguistics, Davies wrote.

“Jorjani’s errors aren’t just differences in interpretation or viewpoint. His versions of ‘history’ and ‘linguistics’ stand to actual history and linguistics as alchemy stands to chemistry,” Davies told me in a follow-up email.

But Jorjani thinks of his embrace of debunked ideas as a mark of intellectual bravery, a type of iconoclasm befitting what he sees as his considerable intellect. He channeled his education in an unusual direction — a seemingly endless stream of pseudoscience and pseudohistory, which he has used to give authoritative weight to the racism of the far right. In particular, he champions a questionable version of Iranian history that is promoted by Iranian nationalists: that prior to the Islamic conquest of Persia in 651 A.D., Iran was an Aryan civilization. Invoking the idea of a “white genocide” with the fall of the Persian Empire, he provided a historical justification for the far right’s obsession with racial purity and its hatred of nonwhite immigration. For Jorjani, what he believes happened in Persia thousands of years ago — a white civilization overcome by a horde of nonwhites — was a taste of what could happen now. However, his version of Iranian history is condemned by scholars of both Islamic studies and ancient Iranian history.

“Nearly everything allegedly glorious about Islam was parasitically appropriated by Arabs and Turks from the Caucasian civilization of greater Iran,” Jorjani told the crowd in Washington, calling the fall of the Persian Empire the “first and greatest white genocide.” The crowd hooted in approval.

More: https://theintercept.com/2018/03/18/alt ... n-jorjani/
American Dream

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby American Dream » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:46 pm

Alex Jones defends the integrity of Russia’s elections: Putin can't be a dictator because he won 76 percent of the vote

Video ››› MEDIA MATTERS STAFF

ALEX JONES (HOST): I’m just somebody that researches stuff, so I know how the Saudi Arabian government works; it’s a dictatorship of the royal house. I know how the communist Chinese work. It’s a communist dictatorship of the Communist Party, just like North Korea.

Russia has general elections, it’s a parliamentary system and if you dig into State Department reports, they admit they thought [Vladimir] Putin with 80 percent. So he won with 76 percent, correct? So the point is, that’s not a dictator when you’re elected with 76 percent.

ALEXANDER NEKRASSOV (FORMER KREMLIN ADVISOR): Well I agree with that. But the most important thing of all is that you can have a democratic election like you have in some countries, but you must judge the election by the impact it has on the country. You know, it’s all very nice to say, “Well people decided they have this leader or that leader.” Watch what happens after that. Is the leader, the government, the regime, is acting in the interest of the people? Or is it acting in the interest of a tiny clique of people and ignores the rest? Now that’s the real issue.

JONES: And so why do Russians like Putin and why do they keep reelecting him in record numbers? Because like my grandpa always said, "I don’t want to hear talk, I want to see action." Judge a tree by its fruit, as the Bible says. So why do Russians love Putin so much?

NEKRASSOV: Well I think it’s not love, it’s pragmatism. I think they understand that Putin is probably the best candidate of them all to provide security for the country, because security is the number one issue on the agenda now. Secondly, none of the candidates were already strong in offering in any new measures. The economy, nobody offered anything.

JONES: Sure, sure, so why does the west, why does the western left and Hollywood hate Putin so much? I mean for me I know why, I know them. The Bolsheviks and things kind of got run out of New York and London. That’s where Bernie Sanders went and had his honeymoon. And I know you were previously in that whole system, but I think it’s pretty horrible. I think what Putin’s doing in many ways is good. The Christianity, the free market -- I like the reforms. So that’s why I see Hollywood and the left seeing their little wonderland of stomping Christians’ guts out being taken away from them.

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2018 ... ent/219686
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Alt-Right Figures Pretending to Be Journalists Are Playing a Dangerous Game

"Tommy Robinson" reporting for Rebel Media at a Football Lads Alliance demonstration

The report was from Cottbus, a city in northeastern Germany of about 100,000 people, where 3,400 Syrian refugees have settled over the last two years. At the start of the year the city was rocked by violence between refugees and locals: on the 1st of January some German youths broke into a building housing refugees and beat up some Afghans. On the 17th, a Syrian slashed a local 16-year-old's face with a knife. Then a 15-year-old Syrian and his father were asked to leave the city after the teenager was involved in a knife attack outside a shopping centre. The city put a temporary ban on any new refugees and has become a focal point for protests from the far-right and left over refugees' rights.

The report by Robinson – real name, Stephen Yaxley-Lennon – doesn't tell you very much about any of this. Instead, he walks around the press-pack at the protest like David Brent at an employee's birthday party, asking journalists if they will characterise the march as far-right and repeatedly saying "Unbelievable!" when they don't want to engage. At one point he asks a journalist whether it's really fair to report on Alternative für Deutschland (AfD) – an avowedly xenophobic party whose leaders warn of an "invasion of foreigners" – by referring to them as "far-right".

The report contains little actual information about any social issues connected to migration, real or imagined, and even less about the nature of the apparent German "fight back". Instead, it turns into a long whine about "the mainstream media" and how they report on protests. For his audience on the far-right Canadian YouTube channel Rebel Media, Tommy is hitting the nail on the head. "The only journalist I saw in the whole video was Tommy," approves one commenter.

It's bizarre that someone who used to lead far-right street protests is now getting kudos as the only "true" reporter for doing puff-pieces for similar events, but Robinson is not the only alt-right personality making his mark as a media figure rather than a political organiser. Tommy Robinson's attack-dog journalist schtick is him jumping on a bandwagon that was already rolling. For a number of alt-right figures, the toxic mixture of ego and bullshit that comprises much of the new-media landscape is the perfect environment in which to push their agenda.

Gamergate was the cultural moment from which a number of right-leaning commentators and journalists emerged. Figures like Milo Yiannopoulos, then of Breitbart News, gained an audience as misogynist video gamers linked up with mens right's activists and anonymous trolls to harass women working in the video games industry.

In the following years, many of those in the Gamergate crowd got involved in the alt-right. The journalists and commentators who had risen to prominence built on their newfound fame by singling out new enemies: Muslims and the hated "Social Justice Warrior". It also saw them making new allies: Yiannopoulos, for instance, got neo-Nazis to contribute their thoughts for his articles.

At the US Presidential election, many of these alt-right media personalities threw their weight behind Trump. Alt-right journalists became phenomenally partisan, inventing rumours to attack Hillary Clinton. Notably, Paul Joseph Watson – who no longer bangs on about the "New World Order", but hasn’t left conspiracy theory completely behind – made a video where he diagnoses Clinton with a variety of illnesses and drug abuse problems, based on conversations with largely un-named "experts".

This is a milieu that trashes the traditional orthodoxies of journalism while claiming to be reporting "the truth". Masquerading as journalists allows these figures to present their controversial worldview based on half-truths and distortions as a set of facts that an elite media class has hidden from the public. It gives their Islamophobic myopia a sense of worldly-wisdom and insider knowledge. It gives their shrieking hysteria the legitimate urgency of a front page splash and their racist provocations the defence of "free speech". Their ludicrous stunts get the cool of gonzo bravado. It gives their infatuation with Islam an apolitical sheen – no longer a racist obsession, but a thoroughly covered beat.

The Defend Europe stunt – where European "identitarians" tried to stop migrants being rescued by NGOs in the Mediterranean – was backed by some of the alt-right journalists, and their reporting often crossed the line into far-right activism.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/pamw ... erous-game
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:27 pm

Meet the Snowflakes Who Are the New Face of Race Hate

Generation Identity have more in common with "Social Justice Warriors" than they might like to admit.

Identitarianism is white racists trying to win gold in what they call the "Oppression Olympics". The relatively recent promotion of marginalised voices online has led to a perception among alt-right propagandists that "woke" "Social Justice Warriors" gain respect and shut down debate by virtue of their voices being more marginalised than others. The idea white people are being oppressed is one of the central messages identitarians push; they articulate this by saying that "European culture is under threat" because of migration, or that Europeans are going to be "replaced".

It's not that identitarians really want to join the woke conversation – more that racists have found a way to articulate their ideas in a way that fits the zeitgeist. This is the same weird inversion that has been happening in far-right ideology more broadly: ideas of white supremacy have been superseded by an imaginary white victimhood.

Generation Identity launched themselves in the UK with a banner drop (Photo via Generation Identity Facebook page)

The idea of white people being in some way disadvantaged is nothing new, of course – the British National Party ran a "rights for whites" campaign in the early 1990s, falsely implying that white people had fewer rights. But the alt-right have gone balls deep with the idea. Through this sleight of hand, identitarians can present their agenda as about "preserving" European identity, and claim to not be racist.

This identitarian idea of victimhood is reinforced by the deluge of fake news pushed by racists and alt-right news outlets. On the far-right internet, every crime ever committed by a refugee (and a few made up ones) is sensationally reported, to feed a moral hysteria about the threat migrants are supposed to pose. The same shifts in online discourse which helped make Trump's election a reality and Brexit a possibility is helping far-right street groups like the identitarians recruit people who are worried about an existential threat that doesn’t exist.

What Generation Identity (GI) call "the great replacement" is a softer version of another far-right trope: "white genocide". This plays on conservative fears of a demographic shift that could see white people no longer being the majority in Western countries at some point, and takes it to an absurd conclusion.

Needless to say, there is no white genocide. Birth rates among white Europeans are falling for a number of reasons. To compare this to genocide is beyond fucked up. One involves people taking the pill or using condoms while other people migrate and have babies. The other involves mass slaughter.

While groups like the fascist, now-banned National Action (NA) used the idea of white victimhood, their overt neo-Nazism was always going to prevent them from growing beyond a certain level; it's difficult to cry about white genocide when you’re advocating a second Holocaust.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/wj45 ... -race-hate
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:38 pm

My Curious Search for That Guy in the 'Muslamic Ray Guns' Video

How a drunken garble at an EDL rally became shorthand for slapstick nationalism.

"I'm here to protest, right, 'cos I'm going on a march 'cos I want Britain to be about British. I want Britain to be about British. We've got interracial law, and the Muslamic infidel; they're trying to get their law over our country. And it's happening, it is happening."

These were the words of an English Defence League protester during a 2011 demonstration in Luton, who – in the space of one minute and 37 seconds – immortalises himself as the perfect caricature of the English nationalist.

Our guy – late-teens, possibly, speaking in thick northern burr and interviewed by a presenter who clearly cannot believe his luck – seems 8/10 shitfaced and struggling to stay coherent as he rails against the increasing presence of "Muslamic law" in the UK. As the camera rolls he ties himself in further knots, slurring far-right platitudes so muddled they veer into Brasseye-esque parody. "They're trying to put the Iraqi law down on London", he claims.

But the video’s enduring popularity was due to something that pops up later in the clip. The guy talks about "Muslamic rape gangs", and the internet commentariat decided it actually sounded like "Muslamic ray guns".

"Muslamic ray guns" has now taken on a life of its own, as shorthand for a kind of slapstick nationalism – a "Don't mention the war!" for the YouTube generation – as well as a hashtag of defiance when faced with racism so knuckle-headed it's (nearly) hard to take seriously.

With the phrase "Muslamic ray guns" achieving pop cultural status, I decided track down the guy who coined it.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/3k7v ... guns-video
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:36 pm

American Dream

Postby American Dream » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:12 pm

Hindu Mysticism and the Alt-Right

By David Lawerence

The alt-right- which attracts rascist cranks from a variety of far-right philosophies- has revived a number of esoteric thinkers and fascist gurus of the 20th century

A glance at the comments section of any alt-right website will confront the viewer with crude racism towards people of non-white ethnicities, not least people of Indian origin, who are variously degraded as “Pajeets”, “street-sh*tters”, or stereotyped as sexual harassers. Of course, this is unsurprising from a movement steeped in white supremacy.

However, the alt-right – which attracts racist cranks from a variety of far-right philosophies – has, in its search for pseudo-academic and mystical underpinnings, revived a number of esoteric thinkers and fascist gurus of the 20th century, the ideas of whom have gained an unprecedented reach through alt-right publishing houses and websites.

Through these thinkers the broad alt-right has appropriated elements of Hindu philosophy and developed a lore that shares certain ideological commonalities with Hindu nationalism (Hindutva) today. The movement commonly invokes, often semi-ironically, an almost-New Age mythos that stretches from the semi-divine origins of “Aryans” to the end of the world itself. Such sweeping narratives elevate the gutter prejudice of the alt-right to a belief in a sacred mission to preserve ancient, superior bloodlines, and casts the movement’s followers as warriors, engaged in a transcendent spiritual battle.

Alt-right ideologue Greg Johnson, editor-in-chief of Counter-Currents Publishing – one of the two major publishing houses of the alt-right – wrote in a review of Farnahm O’Reilly’s “racial nationalist fantasy” Hyperborean Home that “Facts are not enough” to inspire a white nationalist movement.

“We need a myth, meaning a concrete vision, a story of who we are and who we wish to become. Since myths are stories, they can be understood and appreciated by virtually anyone. And myths, unlike science and policy studies, resonate deeply in the soul and reach the wellsprings of action. Myths can inspire collective action to change the world.”

The Aryan Homeland

The opening paragraph of Richard Spencer’s “meta-political manifesto for the Alt-Right” – released by his AltRight Corporation the day before the disastrous Charlottesville rally – reads:

Race is real. Race matters. Race is the foundation of identity. “White” is shorthand for a worldwide constellation of peoples, each of which is derived from the Indo-European race, often called Aryan. “European” refers to a core stock […] from which related cultures and a shared civilisation sprang.

The central motivating issue for the alt-right is the preservation of a white “Aryan” race, held to share common ancestry with ancient northern Indians. Indeed, the phrase “Indo-European” is repeated so frequently by the movement’s intellectuals that it has become its own meme.

According to Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke’s impressive work Black Sun: Aryan Cults, Esoteric Nazism and the Politics of Identity, the Aryan mythology of the far right originated with Enlightenment philologists. Drawing on apparent similarities between northern European and Indian languages, Friedrich Schlegel (1772 – 1829) posited that an ancient superior race originating in northern India – the Aryans – had swept across the West, founding the world’s great civilisations. The narrative of an Indian-originating super race provided a non-Biblical (and therefore non-“Semitic”) origin story for Europeans, and subsequent antisemites held the heroic Indo-European Aryans in a dualism with their supposed counter-image, the lowly Jews.

Myths around a prehistoric Aryan homeland were developed by Bal Gangadhar Tilak (1856 – 1920), known as the “father of Indian unrest” for his militant Indian nationalism. Tilak believed the Hindu holy texts – the Vedas – had been authored by the descendants of ancient Aryans. Tilak claimed that his studies of the Vedas suggested that some 10,000 years ago the Aryans had existed in a spiritually superior civilisation in the Arctic, which was lost in an exodus to the south with the onset of the Ice Age. For Tilak, the “vitality and superiority” of the Aryans, as proved by “their conquest, by extermination or assimilation, of the non-Aryan races with whom they came into contact”, could only be explained by the “high degree of civilisation in their original Arctic home.”

Tilak’s Arctic Aryan homeland theory was adopted by far-right Western thinkers, including the Italian fascist mystic Julius Evola (1898-1974), who referred to this mythic Indo-European homeland as “Hyperborea”. Evola believed the Aryans were sapped of their godlike powers as they travelled south, becoming further estranged from Hyperborean traditions of the Arctic north. We shall return to Evola later in this article.

Amongst Evola’s admirers is Aleksandr Dugin, a Russian fascist philosopher credited with being an influential ideologue within the Kremlin, who has further deepened this mythology. Dugin holds that Hyperboreans had access to divine knowledge and were engaged in a war with their supposed ancient enemies of the earthly civilisation of Atlantis. This war has parallels today in the struggle between the Atlantean North America and Hyperborean cultures such as Russia, Iran and India, who have maintained their spiritual traditions (although the original Hyperboreans have lost their power through interbreeding with dark-skinned southern peoples).

The first English language translation of Dugin’s work was published in 2012 by Arktos Media, the premier publisher of the European New Right (ENR) and alt-right, to which Dugin has ties. Arktos was founded in 2009 by Swede Daniel Friberg and American John Morgan, and was based in Goa, India, for the first three years of its existence.

CEO of Artkos Media Daniel Friberg (left) and Aleksandr Dugin (right) in New Delhi, India, 2012

Arktos claims to have published over 150 titles in 14 languages since its founding. Whilst the majority of the works stocked by Arktos are by Western far-right figures like Evola and ENR authors such Guillaume Faye, the outlet also publishes titles by a number of Indian authors, such as the Hindu spiritual leader Ravi Shankar. Arktos also stocks including Tilak’s The Arctic Home In The Vedas. Carol Schaeffer, in her thorough piece for The Caravan magazine, quotes Morgan who stated that the publisher was so-named in order to invoke a “European tradition and ‘northerness’”.

Tilak’s work is also sold on Greg Johnson’s Counter-Currents Publishing, where it is described as being based in a “painstakingly detailed analysis” that makes “a compelling case which is not easily refuted.”

By indulging in myths that recast whiteness as the indicator of superior or semi-divine origins, the young men of the alt-right can vicariously credit themselves, through their imagined ancestors, as architects of the world’s great civilisations, from ancient Egypt to Rome to Persia. They also place themselves above other races, who are portrayed as incapable of achievement.

The myth of a utopian and racially pure lost civilisation also provides an image of a glorious Golden Age, the essence of which the alt-right wishes to recapture. The aims of Counter-Currents are open: to “lay the intellectual groundwork for a white ethnostate in North America.”

Continues at: https://hopenothate.com/2018/03/23/hind ... alt-right/
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:02 pm

The Alt-Right Implosion: An extremely handy reading list

Being a Nazi is hard

By David Futrelle

Facing an energized antifascist movement and internal enmities, the Alt-Right is imploding, with its leaders giving up or fighting one another, while followers grow ever more disillusioned by the day.

Read More→
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:04 pm

I found this useful and interesting:

McInnes, Molyneux, and 4chan: Investigating pathways to the alt-right

April 19, 2018 Hatewatch Staff

The alt-right is a motley movement, drawing in people from a number of venues and subcultures. The 107 individuals and platforms mentioned by posters in the TRS threads have been labeled according to their ideology, which include alt-right, legacy white nationalist, alt-lite, mainstream, libertarian, skeptic, men’s rights activist, and conspiracy, in addition to a random category for those not easily classified. This heterogeneity is a boon to the movement, creating a number of avenues for individuals of different taste and predilections to fall within its clutches.

In this article
What brings someone into the alt-right ecosystem?
"Stepping stones" and "in-betweeners"
Race realism
Chan culture
"Lolbertarians" and Neoreactionaries
YouTube personalities
"The JQ"

https://www.splcenter.org/20180419/mcin ... -alt-right
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Fri May 04, 2018 9:33 am

Mike Harman

Angela Nagle's Plagiarise Any Nonsense

Nagle's poorly sourced book on the online culture wars includes a copy and pasted definition of a fascist ideology and misrepresents non-binary genders.

As with many other members of the left-wing pundit class, Angela Nagle has been getting a lot more attention than she deserves. We recently stumbled upon some very questionable sourcing in Kill All Normies, which in one case was used as the basis of one of her central arguments in the book.

One consistent barrier to reading Kill All Normies is the lack of citations. If you're very lucky you get a book title and author, or "Interview in x magazine" (without a date), but that's about it. Some of the most contentious information in the book is completely lacking citations of any kind and after some investigation, it looks like this isn't just a stylistic choice.

Up front, we should say we don't really give a shit about plagiarism as such. If there's a news event, and 19 news sources have a similar account of that event, it doesn't necessarily make any difference which source you use as the basis of your own writing - they've probably copied it from another source themselves anyway. A citation can be useful for tracing back the source of a factual inaccuracy, but not necessarily much more than that. If you're writing for an audience that you can reasonably expect shared knowledge, or very informally like on a Tumblr blog, you might skip citations in that case too. None of these apply to the following examples though.

When facts and concepts are themselves contentious, then you should either be able to cite a source, or stand by them as a product of your own original research or ideas. Nagle does neither, and in the cases we cover here, there is a consistent theme of reproducing events and narratives which either do not stand up to scrutiny, or simply repeat alt-right narratives about themselves as Nagle's own analysis of the alt-right.

Who better to talk about fascists than fascists? (via Wikipedia)

The example that set us down this path, was Nagle's description of Aleksandr Dugin's politics, the 'Fourth Political Theory', more commonly known as 'Third positionism'. Third positionism is part of an obscure strain of fascism that aims to mask fascist goals by appropriating left-wing rhetoric and imagery, and has precursors all the way back to the Strasserites and National Bolsheviks in 1920s Germany. It's a very specific tactic to inculcate fascist ideas amongst groups who superficially would not appear to be receptive to them, and given the influence on Richard Spencer, might seem more relevant to a study of the alt-right than one sentence.

Aleksandr Dugin pictured with the flag of his Eurasia Party

So, it was very strange to see Nagle describe Dugin's ideology as 'entirely new' and 'supercede'ing Marxism, liberalism and fascism:

On Radix Journal they draw on the idea of the ‘The Fourth Political Theory’, with reference to the Russian theorist Aleksandr Dugin and the French New Right’s Alain de Benoist, an entirely new political ideology that integrates and supersedes liberal democracy, Marxism and fascism.

(KAN, pp 121)

We googled this and found the Wikipedia entry for the Fourth Political Theory. Just in case Wikipedia had been updated since KAN was published, we used archive.org to verify versions prior to KAN's publication in June 2017. This is the entire entry minus footnotes:

Wikipedia: February 2017:

The Fourth Political Theory (Russian: Четвертая политическая теория, Chetvertaya Politicheskaya Teoriya) is a book by the Russian political scientist and theorist Aleksandr Dugin, published in 2009. In the book, Dugin states that he is laying the foundations for an entirely new political ideology, the fourth political theory, which integrates and supersedes the three past "theories" of liberal democracy, Marxism, and fascism.[1] The book has been cited as an inspiration for Russian policy in events such as the War in Donbass,[2] and for the contemporary European far right in general.[3]

Even without footnotes, Wikipedia is clear that this summary of Dugin's ideas is from Dugin's own description of them in his book. Nagle, rather than simply copying the entry entirely, omits this vital information and presents Dugin's summary of himself as her own, or even worse a generally accepted one. Additionally, she omits Dugin's influence on the Russian and wider European far right, except via Spencer's Radix journal, and has nothing to say about third-positionism as a strategy for promoting fascism. The copypasted version manages to be inferior even to the one-paragraph Wikipedia summary and actively misleading. Save your money and stick with the wikis.

Continues: https://libcom.org/blog/angela-nagles-p ... e-03052018
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Tue May 08, 2018 5:57 pm

https://antifascistnews.net/2018/05/08/ ... k-offline/

THE ALT RIGHT IS BACK OFFLINE
MAY 8, 2018

The last year has been difficult for the Alt Right.

Since Charlottesville the counter-organizing by antifascists and the broader community responses have forced Richard Spencer and his growing white nationalist cadre further into the shadows. Starting in 2015, the Alt Right began moving its fascist ideology into the more public realm through publishing, podcasts, activist organizations, and by linking up with the slightly more moderate Alt Light. That all changed in the wake of Trump’s election as the counter-movement grew, and that exploded after the debacle and murder at Charlottesville.

The two largest venues for struggle were their appearances and their web platforms. Antifascists made the Alt Right throw its hands up and stop public appearances as it became too difficult to operate in public. A parallel, but equally powerful, effect has been that public pressure has forced web companies to pull the Alt Right from using their services. Social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, website companies like Cloudfire and WordPress, financial platforms like Patreon and PayPal, chat functions like Disqus, all have banned the Alt Right over this year, and that number only continues.

While Richard Spencer and his various websites, many associated with the National Policy Institute, thought that he had weathered the storm, he is now officially back offline.

GoDaddy had been handling the hosting for Spencer’s AltRight.com, a trashy tabloid style hate-site that is considered low-brow even for this most racist followers. Composed mainly of racist blog threads, rambling podcasts, and synth-fash aesthetics, it had become a main venue for his inner-circle.

GoDaddy did issue a statement as to why, outlining the content.

In instances where a site goes beyond the mere exercise of these freedoms, however, and crosses over to promoting, encouraging, or otherwise engaging in specific acts of violence against any person, we will take action. It is our determination that altright.com crossed the line and encouraged and promoted violence in a direct and threatening manner.

This came shortly after Spencer’s two Facebook pages for AltRight.com and the National Policy Institute were taken down, a common thread for the Alt Right. Right now Spencer is still on Twitter, but that has a short count-down to it.

As this “shuttening” continue to limit their ability to recruit, they are starting to shrink in numbers and turn to infighting. This is a standard cycle for white nationalists, who cannot sustain a movement when opposition is strong from organized antifascists.
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Wed May 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Oklahoma GOP candidate blames hackers for Facebook post proposing euthanasia for disabled people

NOOR AL-SIBAI
15 MAY 2018

Oklahoma gubernatorial candidate Christopher Barnett. Image via Barnett's Facebook.

A Republican gubernatorial candidate in Oklahoma proposed euthanasia for people on food stamps who are too disabled to work.

In a Facebook post made by a page purporting to be for OK governor candidate Christopher Barnett, the administrator initially posted a poll about food stamp requirements — and then made comments claiming euthanasia is a solution to the “issue” of the poor and disabled.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/05/oklaho ... od-stamps/
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Wed May 16, 2018 3:58 pm

The alt-right is more than warmed-over white supremacy. It’s that, but way way weirder.

Elon Musk for king

"I'm not a neoreactionary, I just crush a lot."

Let's start with the most theoretically minded, and probably most interesting, branch of the alt-right: the neoreactionaries.

In 2007, a writer with the pen name Mencius Moldbug (née Curtis Yarvin) started a blog called Unqualified Reservations. He proceeded to write essays that would inspire a whole movement of online political writers. The neoreactionaries drew inspiration from earlier paleoconservatives like Pat Buchanan and Joseph Sobran but with a tech-y twist. Moldbug, for one, is a veteran Bay Area programmer currently working on a startup he cofounded called Urbit.

And the core contention of Moldbug and the other NRx thinkers is one that's been common in technolibertarian circles for a long time: Democracy is a failure.

"Democracy is — as most writers before the 19th century agreed — an ineffective and destructive system of government," Moldbug writes. Moldbug doesn't actually like the term "democracy." He prefers "demotism," or rule of the people, a label under which he sweeps modern-day developed democracies like the US or Western Europe but also the former Soviet bloc, Nazism, and fascism. "Universalist lawful democracy is the least demotist of demotisms, Demotism Lite if you will," he writes. "Compared to Communism and Nazism, there's much to be said for it. But this is a rather low bar."

The purpose of government, in the view of neoreactionaries, isn't to represent the will of the people. It's to govern well, full stop. "From the perspective of its subjects, what counts is not who runs the government but what the government does," Moldbug explains. "Good government is effective, lawful government. Bad government is ineffective, lawless government. How anyone reasonable could disagree with these statements is quite beyond me. And yet clearly almost everyone does."

And democratic government, the neoreactionaries insist, is not effective, lawful government. Because the will of the people is arbitrary and varying, it cannot have the consistency of real, durable law, and it creates incentives for wasteful and, worse still, left-wing government. Moldbug started as an Austrian-school libertarian, and most neoreactionaries have general small-government sympathies and express a fear that democracy inevitably leads to ever greater taxation and redistribution, and otherwise encroaches on individual liberty.

"Democracy and ‘progressive democracy’ are synonymous, and indistinguishable from the expansion of the state," Nick Land, the next most influential neoreactionary thinker after Moldbug, writes. "Since winning elections is overwhelmingly a matter of vote buying, and society’s informational organs (education and media) are no more resistant to bribery than the electorate, a thrifty politician is simply an incompetent politician, and the democratic variant of Darwinism quickly eliminates such misfits from the gene pool." The result is a government that grows larger and larger.

Moldbug is even blunter: "Cthulhu may swim slowly. But he only swims left."

This is a strain of thinking that more mainstream libertarians have expressed in greater and greater numbers of late. In 2007, George Mason economist Bryan Caplan argued in The Myth of the Rational Voter that democracy will inevitably lead to suboptimal economic policy because the general public is systematically biased against markets, increased productivity, and trade with foreigners. Peter Thiel, the libertarian billionaire who co-founded PayPal and Palantir and was the first outsider to invest in Facebook, declared in 2009, "I no longer believe that freedom and democracy are compatible."

But while mainstream libertarians are outspoken about democracy's deficiencies, they rarely propose an alternative. The neoreactionaries do: monarchy. Well, not monarchy specifically, but some kind of nondemocratic system with rule-driven succession. Moldbug likes to use the term "formalism," or "neocameralism," a reference to "cameralism," the philosophy of government embraced by Frederick the Great of Prussia. Moldbug's vision is corporatist, where instead of a nation belonging to a royal family, it belongs to corporation with shareholders to whom it is accountable. "To a neocameralist, a state is a business which owns a country," he writes.

When asked who should lead it, Moldbug's tech roots come through. "It's easy to say 'put Elon [Musk] in charge, he'll figure it out,' and he might well," he tells me via email.

The 19th-century Scottish thinker Thomas Carlyle, a hero to many neoreactionaries. Carlyle was a key defender of slavery

More: https://www.vox.com/2016/4/18/11434098/ ... -explained
American Dream

Postby American Dream » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:45 am

Trump, Virtual Reality (Baudrillard) and Brexit.

A Prophet Whose Time Has Come.

Andy Warhol once said that in the future everybody will be famous for 15 minutes.

The Tendance has a view that now everybody’s theory is true for 15 months.

The cultural critic Jean Baudrillard had the view that under the present stage of capitalism “the simulacrum precedes the original and the distinction between reality and representation vanishes. “Simulacres et Simulation 1981).

Apart from Baullroard’s claim that “The Gulf War Did Not Take Place ” which asserted,

Saddam liquidates the communists, Moscow flirts even more with him; he gases the Kurds, it is not held against him; he eliminates the religious cadres, the whole of Islam makes peace with him … Even … the 100,000 dead will only have been the final decoy that Saddam will have sacrificed, the blood money paid in forfeit according to a calculated equivalence, in order to preserve his power. What is worse is that these dead still serve as an alibi for those who do not want to have been excited for nothing: at least these dead will prove this war was indeed a war and not a shameful and pointless hoax …

That is about all most of us can recall about his ideas (and I have a pile of his books from the 1980s).

This week has had ample proof of the Baudrillardian thesis that simulacra have taken over from reality.

First we had large numbers of people, particularly in America, claim that far-right Tommy Robinson is some kind of martyr slung into the gaols of the British state by the regime.

It was not very amusing to see them put out pictures of the well-liked and respected Mayor of London Sadiq Khan with a hangman’s noose over ‘Tommy’.

Then we had the lighter spectacle of President Trump holding a top summit with Kim Kardashian, whose claim to fame is that she has a large bum, on reforming the American penal system.

https://tendancecoatesy.wordpress.com/2 ... nd-brexit/
American Dream

PreviousNext

Return to Data & Research Compilations