CAPITALIST PIGS IN ... S P A C E !

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

CAPITALIST PIGS IN ... S P A C E !

Postby thrulookingglass » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:52 pm

Wernher von Braun's Nazi funded phallic (space) penetrators are in full effect...brother!

Remember kids, if you exploit enough workers, you too can built the most exciting roller coaster ever!

At least Bezos finally knows what its like to piss himself on the clock.
thrulookingglass

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: CAPITALIST PIGS IN ... S P A C E !

Postby Harvey » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:31 pm

Amazon’s Bezos predicts only limited number of people will get to remain on Earth

https://www.rt.com/usa/540203-bezos-ear ... ion-limit/

13 Nov, 2021 14:15

Humanity will move most industry into space and allow only a select few to remain on our planet, which will be turned into a natural resort, according to self-funded space explorer Jeff Bezos.

The Amazon billionaire enthusiastically shared his predictions for what human civilization will look like in the future – with him personally helping to bring that future closer – during a talk at the annual Ignatius Forum in Washington, DC.

He expects vast cylindrical space colonies spinning to create artificial gravity for millions of residents to take over most industrial production. Meanwhile, Earth will be turned into a natural reserve with restricted access similar to US national parks today.

“This place is special, we can’t ruin it,” the founder of Amazon said of our planet.

“Millions of people will move from Earth to space over time. And that’s the vision of Blue Origin – millions of people working in space,” he said, referring to his own firm.

“Over centuries, most or many of the people will be born in space. It will be their first home. They will be born on these colonies, they will live on these colonies. They may visit Earth the way you would visit Yellowstone National Park,” Bezos predicted.
Read more
Social media recoils as Bloomberg praises Amazon’s warehouse-based exurban ‘factory towns’ as ‘the future of working class’ Social media recoils as Bloomberg praises Amazon’s warehouse-based exurban ‘factory towns’ as ‘the future of working class’

He said that the colonies themselves “will have rivers and forests and wildlife,” which arguably brought his speech out of the realm of futurology and towards optimistic science fiction. Amazon is infamously resourceful when it comes to squeezing its workers for every drop of productivity. That’s why the similarly rosy description of ‘Amazon factory towns’ solving economic inequality in the US was met with horror, when it was proposed by a Bloomberg columnist in September.

Bezos referred to Princeton physicist Gerard O’Neill, who proposed the concept of space habitats in 1976, as the source of inspiration for him. He said the sort of expansion he predicted was inevitable, if humanity is to grow in a sustainable way.

“This Earth can support, let’s say, 10 billion people to a certain degree. We’d have to work really hard to figure out how to do that without degrading the planet… The solar system can support a trillion people,” he said.

The entrepreneur didn’t comment on who he thinks would decide who gets to live on Earth in the future, when asked by the host of the event, Adi Ignatius. If historic precedent is any indicator, privileges granted by wealth and status may be involved.

The perks of Bezos’ own status as one of the richest people on Earth were discussed in the interview, when Bezos bragged about managing to get a cameo in his favorite movie franchise, Star Trek.

“That was not an easy gig to get,” he said of his appearance in the 2006 feature film ‘Star Trek: Beyond’. “I insisted on a speaking role, which complicated the whole scenario,” he said.

In the movie, Bezos wore alien prosthetics and had one line: “Speak normally.” He said he “nailed it,” prompting laughter from the audience.

Talking about Blue Origin, the billionaire compared his firm to barnstormers from the early days of aviation. He said taking rich tourists on suborbital flights will turn them into “Earth ambassadors,” who would advocate for increasing space exploration in the name of protecting our planet. This will give more resources to making manned space travel routine, similar to how biplanes of old evolved into the passenger airliners of today, he said.

“The hard part is not space travel – that part was solved in the 1960s. Not reusability – the space shuttle sort of did that. The hard part is operational reusability,” he said. “It requires practice to get it right.”

Bezos moves millions of people into space (necessary fuel, material and carbon budget all boggle the mind) while almost nobody lives on the nature reserve that is now the Earth. What happens to the remaining seven or eight billion left behind isn't mentioned in his Empty Earth scenario, but they don't appear to be in it.

Via Jeff: https://twitter.com/JeffWellsRigInt/sta ... 7271244800

And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Elvis » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:31 pm

Billionaires should not be allowed to live on Earth.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby DrEvil » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:08 pm

Bezos should hurry up and build his first O'Neill cylinder so he can take all his buddies and leave. And then we can set up a reverse Elysium, where anyone who tries to come back to Earth gets shot down.

Not that I get why anyone would want to live on a space station or on Mars or the Moon for the foreseeable future. They're not going to be nice places to live. It will be highly regimented and controlled 24/7 (Earth standard), and any deviation from expected behavior will get you shipped back home. You don't fuck around when one person having a bad day can destroy your atmosphere.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Harvey » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:30 pm

Elvis wrote:Billionaires should not be allowed to live on Earth.

The case for that proposition is startlingly clear and easy to make. But who could enforce it?
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Grizzly » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:31 pm

Tom Lehrer - Wernher von Braun - with intro
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Elvis » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:51 pm

Harvey » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:30 pm wrote:
Elvis wrote:Billionaires should not be allowed to live on Earth.

The case for that proposition is startlingly clear and easy to make. But who could enforce it?

Legislatures and regulatory agencies.

Poor people should not be allowed to live on Earth.

Same answer.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:53 pm

Maybe UFOs are just alien billionaires showing off.
Elvis

Postby Harvey » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:33 pm

Elvis » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:51 pm wrote:Legislatures and regulatory agencies.

Yes, I can definitely see regulation being the wave of the future. Again. Not.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Elvis » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:14 pm

Harvey » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:33 pm wrote:
Elvis » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:51 pm wrote:Legislatures and regulatory agencies.

Yes, I can definitely see regulation being the wave of the future. Again. Not.

So, just surrender? I guess the alternative is frontier feudalism—a different brand of regulation.

By "regulation" I mean change the laws.
Elvis

Postby Harvey » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:29 pm

I don't have many answers either. If you or anyone else were in a position to impose regulation on capital, we'd already have won.

Saying we should regulate is a perfectly reasonable thing to say, it's also perfectly impossible. Is there any scenario in which regulatory legislation is possible in a time frame that is also survivable? It would need to have already happened and that time has long passed. Surrender implies there are still options left. The decision to surrender was already taken without me.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Elvis » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:08 am

"No civilization has in it any element which in the last analysis is not the contribution of an individual."

Ruth Benedict
Elvis

Postby Harvey » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:31 am

Elvis » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:08 am wrote:"No civilization has in it any element which in the last analysis is not the contribution of an individual."

Ruth Benedict

Indeed.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey