Why ?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

to fight another day

Postby pitcairn » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:31 pm

Username wrote:*

hmmmm...perhaps some inspiring tales of the revolutionaries who 'lived to tell about it' (coherently).

let's not lose our heads over this.

tired of being the martyr,
terry

okay, point taken, lol

well of course, George Washington and a whole slew of those founding chaps, lol

Harriet Tubman lived to a good old age, even tho she suffered either epilepsy or narcolepsy all her life, even while engaged in dangerous and illegal resistance

on the other side, Mary Chesnutt, the Dixie spy, lived on and literally wrote to tell of it

the Danes resisted en masse (by largely peaceful means), the Nazi Occupation, and most lived to tell the story; as well they managed to save thousands - nearly all - Danish jews by getting them safely to Sweden

I'll find some links

Vaclav Havel, Lech Walesa, they survived and prospered

Paul Rusesabagina - "Hotel Rwanda" - he's alive and well

Solzhenitsyn really lived to tell AND win a Nobel prize for telling

Arundhati Roy was threatened with imprisonment, still here, still writing

Malalai Joya - fighting bravely on tho under constant threat

Naima El Bezaz - lying low for the time being but still alive to write another day

Elif Shafak - threatened but still writing

Orhan Pamuk - imprisoned but alive

prisoners of conscience success stories:

http://www.amnestyusa.org/prisoners_of_ ... ccess.html

Leonard Peltier - in prison but alive

Phoolan Devi was eventually murdered but not before she survived murderous caste war, and life as a bandit queen, and got herself elected to India's parliament

okay that was all I could think of off the top of my head ...

oh, there was an englishwoman in league with the Scarlet Pimpernel - she escaped, survived and prospered ... can't think of her name

lots of suffragettes, in both the US and UK were arrested, imprisoned, abused, force fed, and survived

the labour movement has more than Mother Jones ... Victor .... can't remember his last name, a columnist who wrote pro labor, had acid thrown in his face but lived, kept writing, altho was blinded ... have to look up his name

the Sisters in Resistance I posted about upstairs lived to very old ages

there are some WWII allied spies - women - who lived well beyond the war, despite having done incredibly dangerous things

I have a few links somewhere for those spies' stories

I'll think more on this

thanks for the prompt
Last edited by pitcairn on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in nature has a power in it.
-Thomas Banyacya
pitcairn

Blog: View Blog (0)

victor riesel

Postby pitcairn » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:38 pm

Victor Riesel!

retaliation for pro labor columns

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 38,00.html

Monday, May. 14, 1956

The Verdict

One night last week, doctors and friends broke the news to the New York Daily Mirror's Labor Columnist Victor Riesel: he was blind. "He took it beautifully," said a friend. Next day, exactly a month after a young thug flung sulphuric acid into Riesel's face on a Manhattan sidewalk (TIME, April 16), the doctors' bulletin announced: "The cumulative degenerative processes, stemming from the deep and severe acid burns in Mr. Riesel's eyes, proved impossible to overcome."

In the month of suspense while 41-year-old Victor Riesel's sight flickered and died, 48 New York detectives, the FBI and, in rotation, most of the 60-man staff of U.S. Attorney Paul Williams worked steadily to track down his attacker. The reward for his assailant mounted to $45,000, but there were still no results to set against the grim medical bulletin. The bylined Riesel column, which has kept on running in 192 papers, will continue to be written by Riesel's right-hand man, Alton Levy, and his secretary, Miriam Goldfine. But Riesel himself will go on directing their work.
-Thomas Banyacya
pitcairn

women spies of WWII

Postby pitcairn » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:55 pm

uhm, okay, some who lived:

Virginia Hall; Barbara Lauwers;Julia Child (yes that Julia Child, the chef);

Amy Elizabeth Thorpe aka Betty Pack; Odette Hallowes; Vera Atkins

of course some did not live: Violette Bushell, Yolande Beekman, Noor Inayat Khan

these women all survived their time in the Resistance:

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/sistersinresistance/

there's a book under research now that tells of many more women of the Resistance than just those in the film, many of whom lived to very old ages
-Thomas Banyacya
pitcairn

a couple of long lived Danes

Postby pitcairn » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:55 am

http://www.jewishsf.com/bk951020/sfadane.htm

October 1995

Danish rescuer of Jews tells story of simple humanity

LESLEY PEARL

Preben Munch-Nielsen has been telling his story for 10 years, and he still doesn't understand why people make such a fuss over it.

"Frankly, I'm embarrassed at the responses," he said in a phone interview from New York. "I don't understand that to act in a decent way is so unique."

Munch-Nielsen, 69, is a Danish businessman. He lives about three miles from the home where he grew up in the fishing village of Snekkersten. As a member of the Danish resistance in his youth, he helped save nearly 7,000 Jews from certain death at the hands of the Nazis.
He'll tell that story in the Bay Area….

Knud Dyby of Marin, another member of the Danish resistance, will join him in the series …

Like many Danish teens living in war-torn Europe during the 1940s, Munch-Nielsen "did what we had to do. We couldn't do anything else."
During the early years of World War II, Denmark remained mostly unscathed. However, when Germany interned the Danish Army and Navy personnel, in 1943, the Danish Resistance quickly took action.

Young men and women like Munch-Nielsen published underground newsletters "to tell the real truth," he said. Using stencils and a print rolling machine, they issued warnings of Nazi intentions that were often disclosed by disloyal Germans.

Such dispatches came at a time when the Nazis censored the official newspapers and scrambled radio signals so British broadcasts could not be heard, he said.

And so, the Resistance mobilized its rescue of Danish Jews.
Jews traveled by train to Snekkersten, where Munch-Nielsen and others were waiting to hide them in churches and homes until they could ferry them across the North Sea straits to Sweden.

At night, 12 at a time, the Jews would sail in 21-foot boats to freedom. The nearly 30- minute boat ride could take hours, as Munch-Nielsen and other Resistance members had to evade German ships at sea.

Of the country's 7,200 Jews, only 60 were not saved. The resistance also saved 700 non-Jewish relatives of Jews.

There were no passenger lists. In fact, Munch-Nielsen doesn't know the names of any of the people he helped save.

"Why should I? They don't know my name. This was all done in secrecy." Besides, he added, "Some people talk too much."

Munch-Nielsen did not speak publicly about the rescue until 10 years ago, when a friend asked him to share his story with a group of Jewish travelers in Denmark.

At 59, his speaking career began.

Now he talks about the rescue at least once a month to groups in Denmark, Israel and the United States.

He tells audiences of his childhood home near the beach, the first boat he owned at age 10 and a life spent sailing. He speaks of a government with a history of making necessary reforms without the pressure of revolution or uprising.

He emphasizes that Danish Jews were considered neighbors, friends, schoolmates and nothing else.

"This is our history. We have no scapegoats. No pogroms. No Holocaust. It's so simple," Munch-Nielsen said.

"We didn't recognize Jews as Jews, but as Danes," he added. So when word got out that the Germans were planning to round up the Danish Jews to take them to concentration camps, Danes actively resisted what they saw as wrongdoing.

"The Jews were not criminals. For the most part they weren't members of the Danish Resistance movement. They were victims of an insane movement created by lunatics," Munch-Nielsen said. "If you wanted to retain your self-respect, you did what you could.

"That your fellow citizens should be doomed because their human value was considered nothing [by Nazis] because of their race is an impossible thought."

Following the war many Danish Jews returned to Denmark. Munch-Nielsen is uncertain how many came back because, as he stresses, he doesn't think about who is a Jew or non-Jew.
But now that Jews have returned, he added, "Denmark is complete again."
-Thomas Banyacya
pitcairn

Postby Username » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:34 pm

Nice pitcairn.

Someone's done their homework.

And 'upstairs' you wrote...

pitcairn's post from:
http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board/v ... 9&start=30

11:11 wrote:
In the US, "they" are getting rid of the middle class. This is global plantation country, with what should be the rightful Mexican revolution being shipped north, to make Americans more "competetive". All other jobs have been outsourced to China. Very shortly, a lot of sub prime mortages are going to be in foreclosure. It's definitely becoming a pyramid over here.

All of the free this, and the free that, comes with a price. Of course people need it because the system is screwing them. But it's not the solution, unless you like being a ward of the State, which, in turn, makes the state all powerful. I've noticed that as the oligarchy gets richer, public services and the demand for them increase. That's because they don't pay people what they deserve, so the taxpayer has to pick up the tab. What a convenient out for the corporations. Shift the financial burden to the people, while they reap the profits.

Genuine liberty, with the accompanying personal responsibility, is pretty scary when people have been turned into recipients of state benefits. I guess that's the beauty of the nanny state, and how it works out for TPTB. People end up trading rights for privileges, and that's hard to turn around. Of course, the elite know that.

well 11:11, we could probably make something good of all this

the ruination of the wage dependent, investment holding middle class could be a blessing in disguise

becos that middle class is wholly dependent on the corporate beast that has long since ceased to be accountable or loyal to those who have grown so dependent upon it; no more is that beast loyal to the nation who grants it so many rights and privileges and powers; no more is it loyal to nature herself, on whom we all depend for life

so let's ditch the attachment to the middle class as we knew it, and try for a real change

how about worker-owned eco-responsible companies and an expansion of small organic and biodynamic farmers, with national and internationally networked worker/farmer owned cooperative distribution systems for healthy food for all; how about federations of local water services, with encouragement of independent inventors in the development of natural water purification and vitalisation

how about a national grassroots movement for research, testing and development of non polluting energy sources and eco-friendly redevelopment and retrofitting of our communities and transport

how about a thousand pilot programmes in schooling, including trying out the one room schoolhouse idea again?

how about we the people and the mexican people and the canadians, if they feel like it, starting citizen leagues to find cooperative solutions to regional problems; we could start by approaching the traditional indigenous peoples everywhere and asking how we might make amends and re-establish our relationship with them on a more fair and equitable basis and ask them how we might use traditional understanding and practices to rectify some of the mess we've made

how about we get religion out of politics and replace it with the golden rule and respect for Nature; how about we stop ranking people and animals and plants in a hierarchy of value and decide to cherish everyone and share, together, responsibility for all of us and this world that supports our every breath, despite our reckless and selfish cruelty, neglect and abuse

how about we mean it when we say our kids are the most important responsibility and undertaking we will ever be gifted with?

how about we stop thinking of the elderly and ill and young and injured and disabled and different as burdens and start thinking of them as valuable members of our community, and share among ourselves the care for them, whenever they cannot care for themselves, with joy and gratitude?

the only reason that chinese and mexican workers are making for losses in our share of the "pie" is that the ruling elites have long since stolen the pie and left us - mexicans, chinese, americans, all of us - with an empty tin plate and set us to fighting each other over the crumbs

how about we go get the pie back?

and make some more pie when we need some more?

another revolution that took no blood, and it's now, today, tomorrow's history in the making: the farmers in India, nearly every man jack of them illiterate, under the leadership of a woman, Vandana Shiva, fought the Monsantos and the Archer Daniels Midlands and won

won the right to keep their own seeds, the right not to use "terminator" and/or GM seeds

they won, and we can too

how about we stop thinking that everything has to be paid for and nothing is free? everything is free in nature, and nature is our home

let's take nature as our model, let's try to build systems with no waste and the elegance and economy that comes effortlessly in nature

how about we humble ourselves and realise that there's no shame in changing our minds, our understanding, our worldview, our paradigms?

how about we stop clinging to a sinking ship when there are lifeboats all around us?

End of Quote from pitcairn.

anything worth saying is worth saying twice.

thanks pitcairn
Username

NLP/hypnosis

Postby Username » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:49 am

Looking around the internet for information on NLP, I found a couple interesting tidbits from the Thom Hartmann radio show.

The entire transcript can be found here:
http://www.thomhartmann.com/TH_NLPwk1.html

...How do you prevent this kind of stuff from affecting you? And the easiest way of course is to notice it. If you are aware that somebody is trying to influence you and you are aware of the tools that they are using to try and influence you then you can use cognitive processes; you can use thinking, you can use that realization to basically short-circuit it.

Thom Hartmann program, 17 November 2004

(...)So, anyhow, and slowly, I am working on a book on NLP and politics and activism, and in fact these classes that we are doing on the air, that we are going to be doing over the next few months, are sort of, you know, tracking that. The other resource that I would refer you to, I'd say that there are no books, there are no good books I know about that are comprehensive about neurolinguistic programming and politics. There is a, and in fact really nobody other than on the right has gotten into this, and even on the right they don't call it NLP, they, you know, a lot of people do NLP stuff and they don't call it NLP. They give it other names. In the therapy field it's called "Solution Based Therapy" or "Fast Therapy" or "Rapid Therapy" or, you know, "Emotional Freedom technique" or whatever, these are all variations of things that came out of NLP originally. (...)

And a decade later, 1988, in our presidential campaign I remember noticing that there was a series of ads that showed Willie Horton in black and white and, you know, they just kept anchoring that, Willie Horton, black and white, Willie Horton, black and white, and this is what's called submodality anchoring and there was a particular type of music behind it. And after a while you'd kind of see that black and white and that music and that voice, that particular voice, and you'd just think, "Oh my God, it's him, he's going to come and get me", right, because that was how it was presented. This guy was a murderer and a rapist and he really was. And he had been let out of prison in Massachusetts and he'd gone out and killed somebody else, raped and murdered somebody else, and you know, this was a mistake, a mistake in the system, these things happen. Although Dukakis as the governor had signed off on it, as you do on all pardons or releases or whatever, and so, you know, the Bush campaign was holding him personally responsible for it. But anyhow, then I noticed a month or so later another set of commercials in which they had Dukakis's face in black and white with similar music behind it and the same voice. And I thought, "They're anchoring, at an emotional level, Dukakis to Willie Horton." so that whenever people see Dukakis's face they'll feel Willie Horton. And I thought, you know my first thought was, "that's pretty brilliant". You know, this stuff is not a secret, by the way, in ad agencies. This is, you know, I probably, with some embarrassment should confess this, I used to teach this to ad agencies, made a living doing that for a while.

It's no secret, in fact there's a whole industry around it. But it had never in my experience been brought into the political arena. It was just considered too hot, you know, over the top. And in the 1988 Bush campaign, George Herbert Walker Bush, they did this, they Willie Horton-ized Michael Dukakis. And I was, Louise and I were in New York, attending an NLP conference actually, put on by a guy, Joe Riggio, who's just a brilliant NLP trainer and there was another person there who ran one of the major NLP websites and I mentioned to him the Willie Horton ads and he said, "Yeah, so-and-so" and I'm not going to out this person, I'm not going to name him, but, "a mutual acquaintance of ours has gone to work for the republicans". And, you know, I got it that it was no accident. And, of course, you know, Frank Lunz is also the big guy in all this. Not that he's out of the NLP world but what he's using is NLP stuff.

And at the time I was living in Atlanta, actually in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, we lived in Roswell. And which was a district represented by Newt Gingrich; he was my congressman. And I could tell you some wild stories about that - some day we will. But about that time, or just shortly thereafter, actually I think it was the, must have been like '92, I'm not sure what year it was. Anyhow, Newt came out with his, you know when he came out with his 'Contract on America', which was masterfully framed stuff in NLP terms. He also came out with his word list. And it was in a memo, a secret memo, that went out to GOP leaders and frankly I'm not sure that Newt wrote this. You know, he was a good, although he still follows these rules, it's possible he wrote it. But I'm guessing it was my old NLP friend or somebody like him. I'm quoting; the memo was titled "Language: A Key Mechanism of Control" by Newt Gingrich. Newt wrote, "Often we search hard for words to help us define our opponents. Apply these words to the opponent, their record, proposal and their party". And here's the list of words that Newt said you should always use whenever you are going to describe anything democratic or liberal. Always attach these words to the world 'liberal'. And of course this, you know, all the right-wing talk show hosts got this too.

"Decay, failure, fail, collapsing, deeper, crisis, urgent, destructive, destroy, sick, pathetic, lie, liberal, they, them, unionized bureaucracy, compassion is not enough, betray, consequences, limits, shallow, traitors, sensationalists, endanger, coercion, hypocrisy, radical, threaten, devour, waste, corruption, incompetent, permissive, destruction, impose, self-serving, greed, ideological, insecure, anti-flag, anti-family, anti-child, anti-jobs, pessimistic, excuses, intolerant, stagnation, welfare, corrupt, selfish, insensitive, status quo, mandates, taxes, spending, shame, disgrace, punish, bizarre, cynicism, cheat, steal, abuse of power, machine, bosses, obsolete, criminal rights, red tape, and patronage."

And as I went through that list, you probably recognized a lot of words that you've heard in the context of discussions about about democrats and liberals and there's no, and it's no accident. What was amazing to me during this last election was the number of cons who would come onto shows like Crossfire and talking about John Kerry, would just pull these words out of the hat. On the other hand, Newt said, to the Republicans, that there are positive governing words, positive words that should be attached to any discussion of the GOP or GOP policies, conservative policies. Any reference. He said, in fact he said, "memorize as many as possible" of these words. That's a direct quote. "Positive Governing Words". Here's the words that Newt said should be attached to all things Republican, and have been, basically, ever since this memo came out more than a decade ago, certainly by right-wing radio talk show hosts.

"Share, change, opportunity, legacy, challenge, control, truth, moral, courage, reform, prosperity, crusade, movement, children, family, debate, compete, actively, we, us, our," (this instead of they or them), "candidly, humane, pristine, provide, liberty, commitment, principled, unique, duty, precious, premise, caring, tough, listen, learn, help, lead, vision, success, empowerment, citizen, activist, mobilize, conflict, light, dream, freedom, peace, rights, pioneer, proud, pride, building, preserve, pro-flag, pro-children, pro-environment, reform, workfare, eliminate good-time in prison, strength, choose, choice, fair, protect, confident, incentive, hard work, initiative, common sense, and passionate." Newt Gingrich's official word list.

And this is very, very powerful stuff. What I am sharing with you is that we have been on the receiving end of two decades of psychological warfare that's only been played by one side. And how the democrats didn't figure out that this was going on, or if they did figure it out, how they failed to do anything about it, is just beyond me; frankly, it baffles me.

Ahhh, the power of words. Someone said to me once, "Why do you think they call it "spelling"?

I find many of the courses in NLP/hypnosis being advertised for all the wrong reasons, i.e. to control and manipulate people the "fast and easy" way. Get that girl you've always wanted even if you're a dork, sell anything to anyone, get that raise from your boss...guaranteed or your money back.

Does this stuff really work? Are we all sitting ducks out here waiting for the next master manipulator to graduate and zap us into submission? Do the children of hypnotists go straight to bed and right to sleep when told to?

I heard tell Jerry Falwell has breakfast with the president most every morning. You think he might be the one who keeps George on his divine mission? Reagen had one of these guys too... was it Pat Roberston? (i don't remember.)

I have a book from the early 1900's by Richardson called The Great Psychological Crime. In it he warns of the dangers of both hypnosis and mediumship as they break down a natural barrier that leaves one vulnerable to the control and the will of others in both the physical and spiritual realm.

As many things as I have wanted to change in my life, I would never allow myself to be hypnotised. Didn't feel right.

Earlier on this thread Pitcairn quoted an article on 'mindfulness'...

Considerable evidence has amassed showing that humans don't like to think. Here's an example. Cognitive scientists were interested in the types of brain waves emitted by a person who was thinking hard-- as when a person attempts to solve a math problem. They found that, under such conditions, humans emitted a distinctive pattern of brain waves. Those waves were nearly duplicated by asking subjects to thrust their hands in buckets of ice water. Your brain has a similar response to thinking hard as it does to physical pain! Your brain doesn't like to do it, and avoids it when it can.

I've been wondering why people are soooo into 'trance' states. Do you think it's true? "...humans don't like to think?"

Or is this the way we're taught?

I'm guessing the latter.

Terry

Username

Previous

Return to The Lounge & Member News