A Toast to Banned and Disappeared Posters

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: A Toast to Banned and Disappeared Posters

Postby Hammer of Los » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:32 am

Hi Sim!

Missed ya man!

You one bright spark Sim!

You said so much that was true, saved me the bother half the time.

God bless you sim, take care man.

Sorry to hear your news.

Middle Earth is a pretty sad place sometimes.

Hammer of Los

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Simulist » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks, Hammer. I'll be away from here (but sometimes not) quite a bit still, but it's always nice to stop back by.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby crikkett » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:59 pm

Simulist wrote:Hi, everyone. I wanted to acknowledge and express my gratitude for the kindness of those who wished me well earlier in this thread.

Last summer, cancer came to visit our home; its arrival was sudden and completely unexpected. I'm sorry to report that it turned out to be one of the more devastating lessons in the human curriculum.

Until something like that happens, it strikes me now how few of us ever realize just how thoroughly such an unforeseen event can rearrange your life. Priorities get questioned and reorganized, and even some of your most deeply-held assumptions (and dearly-held beliefs) get rethought. And, believe me, I've done a whole lot of rethinking over the past several months.

I've not had too awfully much time recently, but I did want to express my sincere best wishes to those of you who still post here, and some warm thoughts too for many who no longer do.

Simulist, I'm very happy that you're back.
crikkett

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:42 am

crikkett wrote:
Simulist wrote:Hi, everyone. I wanted to acknowledge and express my gratitude for the kindness of those who wished me well earlier in this thread.

Last summer, cancer came to visit our home; its arrival was sudden and completely unexpected. I'm sorry to report that it turned out to be one of the more devastating lessons in the human curriculum.

Until something like that happens, it strikes me now how few of us ever realize just how thoroughly such an unforeseen event can rearrange your life. Priorities get questioned and reorganized, and even some of your most deeply-held assumptions (and dearly-held beliefs) get rethought. And, believe me, I've done a whole lot of rethinking over the past several months.

I've not had too awfully much time recently, but I did want to express my sincere best wishes to those of you who still post here, and some warm thoughts too for many who no longer do.

Simulist, I'm very happy that you're back.

"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby Simulist » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Thank you both. That means a lot to me.

I'm afraid this will still be very much an "on again, off again" sort of thing for a while now though.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Canadian_watcher » Tue May 14, 2013 1:40 pm

damn it I miss Stephen Morgan and Searcher08 so much.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby semper occultus » Tue May 14, 2013 3:59 pm

...yes....particularly Searcher .....2 brits down....we're going the way of the dodo & need to be treasured...( or was he from that funny island next door ? )

..he was driven off the board by an unpleasant outbreak of squabbling, keyboard-cantankerousness & general flinging of cyber-excreta......

......just saying......
semper occultus

Postby Canadian_watcher » Tue May 14, 2013 4:43 pm

it was during one of my long hiatuses (hiati?) so I didn't even get to PM either of them at all.
Searcher was so great - I really bonded with that character. :)
Morgan and I liked to argue and started of very, very badly.. lol.. but he won my affection after a long series of tussles and I hope that I won his, too. There was a code of ethics that he had that I very very much respect.

both of them were extremely interesting and had unique perspectives.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby Simulist » Fri May 24, 2013 9:14 pm

Slomo always had something interesting to say; I miss him.
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Hammer of Los » Sun May 26, 2013 7:06 pm

Yeah Slomo.

And the Saurian Tale.

Both savants.

Hammer of Los

Postby JackRiddler » Mon May 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Simulist » Fri May 24, 2013 8:14 pm wrote:Slomo always had something interesting to say; I miss him.

Yes, Slomo. Always.

And you. I'm sorry for your suffering, that kept you way. Now that you're back, I'm largely gone. Except for threads to grind stones into verse while drunk. On Facebook, you can see me. Pecker in the wind, the lost dumbfuck.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Simulist » Tue May 28, 2013 3:41 am

JackRiddler » Mon May 27, 2013 6:02 pm wrote:
Simulist » Fri May 24, 2013 8:14 pm wrote:Slomo always had something interesting to say; I miss him.

Yes, Slomo. Always.

And you. I'm sorry for your suffering, that kept you way. Now that you're back, I'm largely gone. Except for threads to grind stones into verse while drunk. On Facebook, you can see me. Pecker in the wind, the lost dumbfuck.

Thanks, Jack. You have been a wonderful teacher here, and I've sincerely appreciated reading your consistently well-reasoned words — even on those relatively rare occasions when I'm in substantive disagreement.

And even then, I've usually learned something. In fact, what's perhaps even more: I've actually modified some of my thinking due to several of the things you've had to say over the years. (I know it's supposed to work that way on a discussion board, but I'm not sure how often it really does.)

So put that in your pipe, and smoke it. :leprechaun:

Best wishes in the future, Jack — to you and to so many here, too numerous to name individually.
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Simulist » Wed May 29, 2013 4:35 am

As a follow up...

Hello, everyone.

Ever since I returned to this board after my several-months-long hiatus, I've been scratching my head over how strange everything had been feeling to me. I couldn't understand it, and I took some time today to give the whole thing the degree of thought it had really deserved sooner. Suffice to say, the old adage about not being able to "go home again" does possess some merit. And this is no one's fault; it's just the way of things.

Rigorous Intuition has been a kind of alternate home for me, a refuge at times, and a valuable resource over the years, the sort of friend who's been kind-enough to accompany me on a life-changing journey. For all these things, I will continue to remain grateful.

But this "life-changing journey" appears to have been more significant than I had realized, and my views have changed so considerably during the course of it (most notably during this latest year) that I guess I've felt a little caught by surprise. The fact is, were I exchanging ideas with the person I was back then, the person who originally joined this forum back in the day, I'm pretty sure we'd be fairly incompatible now, talking passed each other more than either of us might care to admit.

So, it's time.

None of us knows precisely how much time we have left. I am simply choosing to use whatever time that remains for me in a bit of a different way now.

All of you have helped open my eyes a bit wider, even if the view that's developed has turned out to be different perhaps than anyone could have expected. Thank you.

I'll be sure to look in when I can, from time to time.
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Hammer of Los » Wed May 29, 2013 11:43 am

Farewell my guru, sim.

I bow to thee.

In related news.

I hope Vigilant is around.

He ain't dat vig cit dude.

Vig cit dude more dan a bit whacky.

And my fave undead.

And Hugh.

Dearest Hugh.

My old pal.

Oh Hugh.

Take it easy man.

You were right more than you were wrong.

Which is more than you can say for a few around here.

Enjoy your life.

But Disney ain't 100% evil.

Nuthin' ever is.

Now, 110%, dat's a different matter.

Observe the correspondences!

Read the Chivalry and Sorcery rulebooks from the SCA!

Ha ha ha.

I love Disney.

Hammer of Los

Postby barracuda » Wed May 29, 2013 6:59 pm

barracuda

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News